Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 755111 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« on: November 07, 2011, 02:54:31 PM »
This weekend was a blitz of gaming purchases for me: four games over three days. The good news is that my gaming time should be set for a nice long time to come.

1. The Beatles Rock Band (Wii) -- "Like new" copy found on Kijiji for $10. This game has become harder to find recently - at least locally - so I was kicking myself for not grabbing a cheap copy. Very happy to indulge in this bit of Beatles fan service.

2. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (DS) -- Another used find complete and in good condition, also $10. Not really a steal since it's easy to find cheap copies of this game, but without any 3DS games this year that appeal to me it seemed like a good way to kill some time while I wait for...

3. Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS) -- Did I say no 3DS games? Well pre-ordering now at BestBuy.ca let me get a $5 discount on the initial list price of $39.99. After taxes and shipping, the game still costs less than $40. Sounds like a deal to me and ensures I'll have something to look forward to next year.

4. Radiant Historia (DS) -- I've been watching copies dwindle at the Futureshop.ca website for a while. Finally pulled the trigger when they dropped to 7 remaining in stock. Not sure if $30 is a good price for this game or not, but it seemed reasonable for a lengthy RPG experience that has received plenty of positive press.

So one of the games is actually a preorder that won't arrive for a few months and the used games are covered by stuff I've sold on Kijiji over the past couple of days anyway. Pretty excited to dig into some of these games in the near future.

What about you? Any exciting gaming pick-ups this weekend?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »
Super Mario 3D Land (Pre-Order fo Tanooki Suit Key Chains)

I bought Skylanders 3DS Last week and got Drill Sergent this week which was more trouble to find then I though it would be.  The aisles where picked all of the suddent this weekend.  They were pretty full last Weekend.

Skylanders PS3 as well and I may break down and try to find a way to sneak the game out of its package without looking like the package has been open to get the game out so I can play it.  I already loaded the two expansions and the expansion characters through there packaging so I could use them on my 3DS.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:01:52 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »
... may break down and try to find a way to sneak the game out of its package without looking like the package has been open to get the game out so I can play it. ...

???  Is the game intended as a gift, either for yourself later or for someone else?
People really seem to be getting into the Skylanders thing. Outside of my budget for the moment, but cool to hear that people are really enjoying the game on various platforms.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 03:53:01 PM »
Its a gift for my Birthday or Christmas but, I watched her Buy it and she Hid it terribly.

If you like Action Platformers the 3DS game is fun but, costly at the moment.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »
Battlefield 3 though it was mostly for someone else than me. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:27:12 PM »
I've bought four 3DS games in the last week, because I'm stupid.

I got Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns, which I've been looking forward to for a while, as I'm a big fan of the series.

I bought Street Fighter and Super Monkey Ball in Walmart's 2 3DS games for $30 sale, because SF was praised but in a genre I don't care for and Monkey Ball got mixed reviews, including a particularly bad one from our Supreme Leader Neal Ronaghan, but I was still somewhat interested, and at $15 apiece I caved.

And speaking of caves (believe it or not, that was totally unintentional), I bought Cave Story 3D, which is currently in the mail on its way to me.

EDIT: And I should add, I'm in the last week of the term, so I've been too busy with school stuff to play any of these.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:39:20 PM »
Didn't know SM3DL was out...anyway...Modern Warfare 3 for 360.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:48:54 PM »
It's only out in Japan, it doesn't come out in North America until the 13th (unless Nintendo has already shipped the game and Ceric found a store that would break the street day by 6 days).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 02:53:53 AM »
Arkham City for me.  Xenoblade before that.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 03:50:02 AM »
Wave Race 64! Still the king of jet ski racers.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 01:34:43 PM »
If we're not counting iOS/Android games I got a new mouse and... uh.... I can't remember what the last retail game I got is. I think it was Rage which I got on launch day. Possibly Aliens Infestation, I don't quite remember when I got that. On Steam I got Serious Sam: The Random Encounter. Well, there's also a huge pile of boardgames I got in Essen but I don't think we're talking about that kind of gaming.

But no worries, Saints Row 3 is on preorder.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »
If we're not counting iOS/Android games I got a new mouse and... uh.... I can't remember what the last retail game I got is. I think it was Rage which I got on launch day. Possibly Aliens Infestation, I don't quite remember when I got that. On Steam I got Serious Sam: The Random Encounter. Well, there's also a huge pile of boardgames I got in Essen but I don't think we're talking about that kind of gaming.

But no worries, Saints Row 3 is on preorder.
Why not?

I just got Hungry Hungry Hippos.  The Family loves it but the pink Hippo seems to be getting stuck for some reason.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 04:20:53 AM »
Well, it's a huge stack since I got a box of 15 games for 20€ (a surprise box, you don't get to see what's inside before you buy it but it wasn't all duds so for 20€ it was worth it) plus the games I bought individually. The individual games were Freitag, Space Maze and Phantom League (the game's designer kept pestering me about getting the expansion Mostly Harmless as well since it includes rebalanced rules and everything but I wasn't sure I'd even get to play PL much so I had to promise him that I'd print out the updated rulebook from the internet).

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 12:39:11 PM »
I finally picked up a copy of Settlers of Catan and Pandemic the other day. Two widely favored titles that have somehow been missing from my already crowded shelf.

...oh, you meant video games? One word. Skyrim.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 12:15:30 AM »
The last game I bought was Brink on PS3 about a month ago because Amazon had it on sale for $9.99. I like buying games at rock bottom prices, as opposed to $50/$60. I haven't played it or even opened it, though.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:19:52 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 02:52:24 AM »
Uncharted 3, before that was Dark Souls, and before that was ICO/SotC,

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 02:59:09 AM »
Mario 3D Land.  Whoo!
Also, Mario Strikers on Walmart.com with free Mario 25th Pouch.
Also, $20 3DS card... didn't need the credit, but wanted the cool Zelda themed card. :D
Also, Mario's Picross for the original Game Boy.  Found the cart for $5.  Yay!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 03:02:27 PM »
Uncharted 3 and before that Dark Souls.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »
Skyrim and 999.

I am seriously considering braving the perils of Gamestop on Black Friday to grab that Zelda 3DS.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 05:31:09 PM »
Arkham City for me. My birthday's coming up, and the games on the list are:

Super Mario 3D Land
Skyward Sword (although my Wii is still broken)
MGS HD Collection
Sky...rim?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »
I finally picked up a copy of Settlers of Catan and Pandemic the other day. Two widely favored titles that have somehow been missing from my already crowded shelf.

...oh, you meant video games? One word. Skyrim.

Pandemic is overrated, but still a great group activity for many people.  Settlers is a "modern classic" for good reason though, especially with Cities and Knights added in.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »
I would generally agree. After a few play-throughs, I've found that Pandemic is pretty light. Still, the cooperative aspect has proven to be appealing amongst my usual group. Settlers has quickly become our "go-to" game to start the night out with. I'm definitely going to look into an expansion pack or two for it.

I just picked up the second Party Box expansion for Apples to Apples as well. I know a lot of people scoff at the title, but it's a great game to bust out at a more casual gathering... or once everyone is starting to get buzzed from the mojitos and mudslides. Besides, I whipped up about 200 custom cards and had them printed out to spice up the game. All kinds of pervy stuff comes up now during rounds.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:41:12 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 11:41:30 PM »
Apples to Apples is awesome.

Picked up Punch-Out!! today.  Been trying to find a non-Selects version and finally ran across one while out searching for Skylanders figures.

Also, picked up a 3-in-1 game selector for the DS/3DS.  Early impressions are not that good, but I'm going to give it a few days before I comment too much on it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
This weekend I picked up my Super Mario 3D Land w/ Tanooki suit keychain x 2 (One copy is for my Niece).  Have to say so far I'm not impressed and I'm over half way into the main game.

I also picked up for Skylanders:
Whirlwind (Target Exclusive)
Flameslinger, Stump Smash, and Drobot 3 pack. (My Son insisted on getting Flameslinger.  Its cheaper to get the 3 packs if you want the characters.)

So now I have the Target and Walmart exclusive.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 03:10:28 PM »
To scratch my casual gaming itch, I grabbed two DSiWare games to fill in time between Ghost Trick sessions.

First was Zenonia. No comment because I haven't played it yet, but my brother recommended the game so I'm confident it'll be worthwhile.

The second was Alphabounce. This seems like a simply Breakout clone and doesn't require much effort or attention, but has nearly endless levels to unlock spread out over a grid-based map, dozens of power-ups available while playing, and extensive customization options based on equipment and weapons that you uncover. I've lost hours of my life to this game already and have only owned it for one weekend. Things look like they are going to get worse before getting better.