Author Topic: 1st Big Break!  (Read 9200 times)

Offline Knoxxville

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
1st Big Break!
« on: April 30, 2005, 06:37:29 AM »
Hey guys,
    I've been a member here quite some time.....some of you may have seen me post in talkback on occasion.  Anyhoo, I just wanted to let everyone know that I have some music being featured in an upcoming game from Midway called, "LA Rush", which I believe will be released for all consoles in the August/September timeframe.  My group is called Desert Mobb and the track that is already in the build is called, "Speedway" and I am currently in negotiations for another track called, "SUVees".  I produced the music (Hip-Hop/Rap) and I produce under the name "Knoxx Prime".  If you want to hear the track, just click on this link and look for "Speedway" on the list:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/desertmobbmusic.htm  

This is significant for me because my team is independent, yet we will be in the mix with known artists like Twista, Lil' Kim, and J-Kwon.  Just another example that the little guy can still make it in this big corporate landscape.  Also, since this officially makes me "part of the industry", I'll be attending E3 this year (!!!), so hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you, especially the crowd favorite, Ian Sane.  See ya on tha floor!

Knoxximus  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: 1st Big Break! Videogame Music!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 08:17:33 AM »
Congrats on your chance to become another slave of the RIAA. Just remember, when Bubba says bend over, you do.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
RE:1st Big Break! Videogame Music!!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 08:30:32 AM »
How did I know if I did get any replies, it would be something along these lines?  The music game has changed so much due to technology, that you can almost skirt that issue.  This game is great exposure....that along with self marketing and regional distribution (even CDBaby.com), you can do quite decently as an independent nowadays.  You don't have to be a superstar to live comfortably, you know.  But hey, you go ahead with your 9 to 5 (which we ALL are slaves to.....I guess you fail to see the relevancy here anyway), must see tv and internet forum ruling....I'm gonna keep on pursuing my dreams.  At least it got me into E3, if nothing else.  PEACE!  

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 08:52:05 AM »
What the heck, KDR? Jealousy much...

This is really cool! And very very exciting for you personally. Good luck and congrats!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 09:07:05 AM »
"I'll be attending E3 this year (!!!), so hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you, especially the crowd favorite, Ian Sane."

Hopefully is right.  I've never been to E3 and baring some miracle won't be this year.

Congratulations on having such a sweet double shot of awesome.  Just one or the either would be cool but both is just great.  I don't what KDR's problem is.  As a fellow musician and songwriter I feel you're only a "slave" if you're not making the music you want to make.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 09:09:25 AM »
Thank you, Artimus.  I'm just trying to show that with hard work, dedication, and persevervance, things can still happen even in this day and age....the American Dream is still real!  Peace!

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 09:14:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"I'll be attending E3 this year (!!!), so hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you, especially the crowd favorite, Ian Sane."

Hopefully is right.  I've never been to E3 and baring some miracle won't be this year.

Congratulations on having such a sweet double shot of awesome.  Just one or the either would be cool but both is just great.  I don't what KDR's problem is.  As a fellow musician and songwriter I feel you're only a "slave" if you're not making the music you want to make.

You know Sane, I always had a feeling you had a lot going on behind the scenes......nice to know we have that much more in common.  I think KDR's problem stems from disatisfaction with his life and what he isn't doing (but knows he could and SHOULD be doing) to live the life he truely wants.  Small minded people act small minded.  It can't be helped....and I know that you of ALL people know this!  Thanks for the support...hopefully the game wont be a stinker!  

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 09:44:03 AM »
It sounds like Knoxx is hitting on you Ian.

Seriously though, that's SUPAH SWEET.

Now you can bring down Midway from the inside!
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 10:27:19 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Congrats on your chance to become another slave of the RIAA. Just remember, when Bubba says bend over, you do.

Well you are useless.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 10:29:11 AM »
Woah, that's pretty cool...Now let's hope that LA Rush is actually good... ^_^, (Not for Gamecube, pfff)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 11:02:11 AM »
Come on you guys,  I'm pretty sure that KDR was just kidding.  That's the impression I got anyways.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 06:37:07 PM »
Too bad Hip-Hop isn't music.

Congrats, though, I'll be truly green when you're posting your E3 impressions.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 08:13:10 PM »
Congrats d00d.  I always get excited to see smaller indipendent groups getting noticed and getting breaks.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 01:42:18 AM »
It was derived from what various musicians reported of the RIAA practices, which involve demanding money for everything, giving you only a few cents per CD sold and in the end leaving you with only debts after your CD sold great. Taking what you made, making money off it and not rewarding or even punishing you is slavery in my eyes. (remember no post involving "bend over" is truly serious)

I think of the American Dream as opium for the masses but I guess that discussion doesn't belong on these boards.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2005, 06:50:28 AM »
Okay KDR, point taken.  Now see mine.  I'm independent, meaning that I have no affiliation to any major labels.  Internet sales are tax free, and when I'm pushing units in the street and doing shows, that money is no different than if I was slangin' that yay, meaning that if you don't report it, you ain't got it.  So far, I don't see the RIAA involved in any of this.  If I were to go major, then I guess I would have to play along, but that is no different than going to my day job right now and putting up with everyone elses crap that I have to put up with.  It's all relevant, that's all I'm saying.

It also depends on what kind of deal said artist negotiates/signs.  If they're eager beaver about it, yeah, you'll get screwed.  If you're a new artist going major, expect a little screwing, but if you're smart, you'll push for a short deal....just long enough to make your name so that when your free agency comes up, they are ready to play YOUR game, feel me?

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2005, 06:52:59 AM »

Originally posted by: Koopa Troopa
Too bad Hip-Hop isn't music.

Congrats, though, I'll be truly green when you're posting your E3 impressions.

I'd beg to differ, but that is a whole 'nother post.  If it's any consolidation, I didn't sample anything for those tracks....I played everything.

But yeah, E3 is gonna kick arse!  My squad and I have VIP invitations to a party Midway is throwing in Hollywood at the Avalon due to our....ahem......contribution to the sonic landscape of the game (hey, managed to get out of saying "music" ).  Twista is actually doing a set so I hope to give him a beat CD to get myself closer to my ultimate goal of becoming a well known and respected producer in the hip-hop/R&B industry!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2005, 07:01:25 AM »
Midway party? Tell us if you meet Romero, will you?

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 07:44:43 AM »
That's really cool bro, and just like you, i'm a composer too.

Hip-Hop is a great genre, though now, it's getting worse and worse.

House music is where it's at.

Keep up the good work and if you get big, make a shout out to PGC!
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2005, 07:46:02 AM »
Sweet.

Make sure to kick anyone involved with Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits in the balls for me, eh?

And just how much do you get paid for this?  Hell for a couple hundred smackers I'd rap (which is actually a form of poetry, not music) too. ;-)
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2005, 09:42:21 AM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
Sweet.

Make sure to kick anyone involved with Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits in the balls for me, eh?

And just how much do you get paid for this?  Hell for a couple hundred smackers I'd rap (which is actually a form of poetry, not music) too. ;-)

LOL at the nad kick....I'll have my soccer cleats on

Payment wise, I'm sure I'm not getting what the big names get, but it is a decent lump sum....more than enough to press and release a professional looking CD for my artists' debut, run TV and radio spots (maybe even shoot a video) and rent a nice venue for an album release party....and that's here in Las Vegas, so ish really ain't that cheap for things like that.  But most of all, it gives us the trump card of all trump cards......mass consumer exposure outside of our native region/territory/town.  That alone makes it all worthwhile!

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2005, 09:44:05 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Midway party? Tell us if you meet Romero, will you?

Who is Romero?  My point of contact is Steve Allison....I guess I can ask him.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2005, 11:36:23 AM »
All neato-like, Knoxxville.  Keep an eye out for us PGC guys at E3!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2005, 12:16:05 PM »
Will do, TYP....will do!  Are ya'll gonna be wearin' PGC shirts or somethin'?

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2005, 12:21:59 PM »
I believe the expossure is more valuable than the actual payment.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2005, 01:06:06 PM »
My feelings exactly!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2005, 03:40:49 AM »
Romero is John Romero of Daikatana fame. Unless he switched again he should be working at Midway right now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2005, 07:20:59 AM »
"If it's any consolidation, I didn't sample anything for those tracks....I played everything."

Now that is cool.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2005, 05:54:43 PM »
I have to say they're interesting tracks. Good to see that original production isn't dead...

Some feedback:

Speedway:Good track. It does what its supposed to do.

SUVee's: The hook could use some work. That main synth sounds like its out of tune with the voices. But that's just me.

I C U move: Careful with that Pharell impression in the hook. Some people might call you a biter... Otherwise, its a decent hit that the clubs can play.

Warning: A hot, hot track for cruising your local boulevard or main street. Not good for the club, it'll get people more crunk than they should...

Hold u down: Very creative. I love how you incorporate the sample with the lyricists. Though its kind of odd that the singer(s?) can sing about putting some holes in you and make it sound hot.

Maybe you can have your guys subliminally put in a rhyme about the 'Cube/Nintendo in the future?

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2005, 10:11:09 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  SUV's is still being tidied up for the game so I'll let you know when the final version is ready.  Since I'm not one to take credit when it's not due, "Hold U Down" was actually done for a mixtape we put out.  Alchemist did that beat....I just put that up there to show my groups variety of lyricism.