Author Topic: GoldenEye 007 Impressions  (Read 1725 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
GoldenEye 007 Impressions
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »

The handheld version offers a wholly original experience with different control schemes and Bond-like gameplay.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/24006

GoldenEye 007 for DS has an interesting background. It's made by n-Space, who have made three increasingly good first-person shooters on the DS for the Call of Duty series. However, GoldenEye 007 is not made by the same team as the Call of Duty games. Instead, it's made by the team who made Blood Stone, another James Bond DS game that is a third-person shooter. The Call of Duty team, though, works in the same big room as the GoldenEye team, so there is a little back and forth between the two teams.

The point of all that is to emphasize that GoldenEye DS is more than just the Call of Duty DS games with a Bond skin. The games will definitely be similar, but the intention with GoldenEye on DS is to make it more of "a thinking man's first-person shooter," which was the mantra that the development went by.

The level that I played was based on the Archives level from the original. It was pretty straightforward as I went through it fighting off enemies, picking up key cards, and going through doors. It seems a little pedestrian, but it's a good deal of fun figuring out how best to attack a room of enemies. It seems to succeed in being a "thinking man's first-person shooter."

The big addition outside of the gameplay with this game is button control. It offers an alternative for players who aren't sold on using the stylus and touch screen to control a shooter. Instead, you can play using the d-pad and the face buttons to control your movement and crosshair. There are pros and cons to both control schemes, but this new style probably won't give me the hand cramps the stylus control does. Using just buttons allow for more fine-tuning, but stylus control lets you move the crosshair quickly.

GoldenEye 007 DS, also featuring local and online multiplayer, will be out on November 2.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"