Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273793 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 2: Joy-Con Boogaloo)
« Reply #1125 on: November 27, 2018, 11:45:53 PM »
Hahaha! Canada Goose's for all! Even though no one gave me any for starting this trend......
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1126 on: November 28, 2018, 12:20:46 AM »
So B&M:  What is Roblox?  My students play it, and I jumped to youtube, but the videos I saw didn't look normal...so I didn't click on them.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 28, 2018, 01:48:34 AM »
it's a "Minecraft"-esque game where people create games within the game and then people can join in and play them.

It's honestly something I've played twice with my daughter.  She will endlessly watch a specific group of people on Youtube get together and play the game online (which is honestly more entertaining at times than I care to admit), so I decided to install the game on my computer, create an account and join her in the game so she would actually play the game more often instead of just watch others play.

It's really basic "Lego/Minecraft" looking game, and at times filled with hacking little kids who want to ruin everyone else's fun for their own, but even in it's simplicity, it's pretty fun and addictive as you can jump from game to game within the game and find somewhat new experieces all within the same game endlessly.

One that I played was one where you can be either the prisoner or the police. As a prisoner, you need to pickpocket an officer for a gun and/or security card, and then escape the prison. Once you escape, you can steal cars/vehicles, rob stores and a museum, and then cash it in for loot to buy stuff, like better cars, guns, clothes, apartments.

Another was a "horror house" game where you enter a game of everyone kill the monster. One player is chosen at random to be the monster, and you must kill everyone, or everyone must kill you.

both were surprisingly addictive, fun, yet simple.
and there were probably another 1000 games in there I wasn't even about to take the time to dive into.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:50:46 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: November 28, 2018, 08:24:01 AM »
If Skyward Sword port is announced:

Year Three: With twice the Fi

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 28, 2018, 08:26:42 AM »
it's a "Minecraft"-esque game where people create games within the game and then people can join in and play them.

It's honestly something I've played twice with my daughter.  She will endlessly watch a specific group of people on Youtube get together and play the game online (which is honestly more entertaining at times than I care to admit), so I decided to install the game on my computer, create an account and join her in the game so she would actually play the game more often instead of just watch others play.

It's really basic "Lego/Minecraft" looking game, and at times filled with hacking little kids who want to ruin everyone else's fun for their own, but even in it's simplicity, it's pretty fun and addictive as you can jump from game to game within the game and find somewhat new experieces all within the same game endlessly.

One that I played was one where you can be either the prisoner or the police. As a prisoner, you need to pickpocket an officer for a gun and/or security card, and then escape the prison. Once you escape, you can steal cars/vehicles, rob stores and a museum, and then cash it in for loot to buy stuff, like better cars, guns, clothes, apartments.

Another was a "horror house" game where you enter a game of everyone kill the monster. One player is chosen at random to be the monster, and you must kill everyone, or everyone must kill you.

and there were probably another 1000 games in there I wasn't even about to take the time to dive into.

My 6 year old loves Roblox, too.  There's a lot of trash games on it (like any service that lets people play their own games), and it gets aggravating to have to explain over and over that I'm not going to pay for Robux or whatever the digital currency is, but it's a good, friendly introduction to games and like you said, there IS a variety in what people have made with it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 28, 2018, 10:24:13 AM »
If Nintendo adds an option not to use motion controls or something similar to the remakes on 3DS (some optional motion control for aiming), I may be interested in a Skyward Sword remaster. I won’t hold my breath since Nintendo would have to rework some things, and that may not be worth it for a remaster. I didn’t like Skyward Sword enough the first time, and even though I rarely use handheld mode, the game can’t be played in handheld mode as is, cutting into how worthwhile this can be.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 29, 2018, 01:33:06 AM »

My 6 year old loves Roblox, too.  There's a lot of trash games on it (like any service that lets people play their own games), and it gets aggravating to have to explain over and over that I'm not going to pay for Robux or whatever the digital currency is, but it's a good, friendly introduction to games and like you said, there IS a variety in what people have made with it.

I have $70something in Google Play cash, so I tend to buy my daughter random crap from time to time... most recently $5 worth of Robux. Not sure if she knew what she was spending it on, but she was ecstatic about having some, and I needed to spend the cash.

But anyway, I saw that Let's Go Pokemon sold a ton.... is it like Pokemon Snap? or is it more a half-step towards the Pokemon RPG that everyone has been asking for since the dawn of the Poketime?
I almost bought it, but it was kinda expensive, and I wasn't sure what the game was about, and not exactly interested enough to really look into at the time the sales were going on.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 29, 2018, 04:16:50 AM »
But anyway, I saw that Let's Go Pokemon sold a ton.... is it like Pokemon Snap? or is it more a half-step towards the Pokemon RPG that everyone has been asking for since the dawn of the Poketime?
I almost bought it, but it was kinda expensive, and I wasn't sure what the game was about, and not exactly interested enough to really look into at the time the sales were going on.

Let’s Go is a remake of Pokémon Yellow with elements from the Pokémon Go mobile game. As you can see from the two reviews we put out for it not everybody is thrilled about the changes, but I'm enjoying it and it's certainly selling well.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, INSANOLORD. I GOT THIS! QUIT SNEAKING IN YOUR OWN POST QUICKLY WHILE I'M TYPING UP MINE.

- This post improved with an edit by Khushrenada.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:21:16 AM by Khushrenada »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 29, 2018, 04:19:29 AM »
Oh man, if only there was a Nintendo fan website that did reviews on Nintendo games that one could read to find out just what the deal is with Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee..... Oh wait! There is. It's Nintendo Life. lolololololol

Awwwwwww. Poor NWR.

But, anyways, if you don't feel like reading either of the reviews this site has on the game and just want to get the straight skinny from your favorite forum Switch source who know's what what and who's who then I still can't help you since I don't know who that is. What I can tell you, though, is that Pokemon Let's Go (make some more quick cash) Pikachu / Eevee is basically like a remake of Pokemon Yellow from the old GB games with the original Pokemon and Kanto region. However, the game has been simplified a bit in the catching mechanics and battling a bit as well to be a bit more in line to the global phone phenomenon that is Pokemon Go. In addition, you can now see all the wild Pokemon on the map so you don't have a sudden random encounter as you are walking along. The overall word is that it is a pretty chill Pokemon experience that's about reliving some Gen 1 nostalgia with a nice graphical upgrade but a bit of a shorter experience compared to the original's length with these changes.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1134 on: November 29, 2018, 08:00:37 AM »
BnM:  Thanks a lot.  That really explains everything.  I can now talk to my students.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: November 30, 2018, 12:21:26 AM »
BnM:  Thanks a lot.  That really explains everything.  I can now talk to my students.

np. I take a break from gaming for who knows how long, and Roblox is what i've settled down to... weird.

Oh man, if only there was a Nintendo fan website that did reviews on Nintendo games that one could read to find out just what the deal is with Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee..... Oh wait! There is. It's Nintendo Life. lolololololol

Awwwwwww. Poor NWR.

But, anyways, if you don't feel like reading either of the reviews this site has on the game and just want to get the straight skinny from your favorite forum Switch source who know's what what and who's who then I still can't help you since I don't know who that is. What I can tell you, though, is that Pokemon Let's Go (make some more quick cash) Pikachu / Eevee is basically like a remake of Pokemon Yellow from the old GB games with the original Pokemon and Kanto region. However, the game has been simplified a bit in the catching mechanics and battling a bit as well to be a bit more in line to the global phone phenomenon that is Pokemon Go. In addition, you can now see all the wild Pokemon on the map so you don't have a sudden random encounter as you are walking along. The overall word is that it is a pretty chill Pokemon experience that's about reliving some Gen 1 nostalgia with a nice graphical upgrade but a bit of a shorter experience compared to the original's length with these changes.

TBH, I have no interest in the game, and only really became aware of it because it was on sale. Looked at the box in the store.... wasn't sure what it was like, and set it back down. Saw on NWR that it sold 1.5M so I inquired as to if it was worth looking more into or just the usual tease of RPG rather than the full blown 3D openworld RPG everyone has been asking for since forever.

By the descriptions above [Thanks Insano & Khush] I can go back to not caring about the game again.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 30, 2018, 03:34:55 AM »
So my 400 GB SD card is starting to get a little cramped, and 512 GB cards exist but cost more than a Switch, so I may be headed for some fridge cleaning. I'm sitting around 50 GB free, and that's after downloading Smash, so I have a little while, but it's worrisome.

J.P. Corbran

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: November 30, 2018, 10:27:23 AM »
So my 400 GB SD card is starting to get a little cramped, and 512 GB cards exist but cost more than a Switch, so I may be headed for some fridge cleaning. I'm sitting around 50 GB free, and that's after downloading Smash, so I have a little while, but it's worrisome.

I haven't encountered that issue yet with a 200GB SD card, BUT the only retail games I bought digitally were 1-2 switch, Bomberman, and Splatoon 2.  Most of the indies on my card are pretty small in size. 

I've actually actively avoided buying digital for retail games because I knew it'd be an issue, and I still like having them on the shelf.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: December 01, 2018, 09:15:32 PM »
what on earth do you have filling a 400gb card? delete some demos or something

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: December 08, 2018, 09:10:12 PM »
I just want to come in to say that Nintendo JoyCon controller prices are RIDICULOUS.

if I'm paying that much for the 2 controller halves, they could at least include the middle connector piece,  instead of having to buy separately ....

And if i gotta buy it separately,  it could at least have a charge port so you can plug it in and play, instead of having to swap with docked controllers, so you don't need to buy the 4x Charge stations just ti charge them all at once.

The whole thing is a racket. I almost bought in, but my daughter talked me out of it,  and suggested i just get the Pro controller instead.

God bless her soul.  LOL

Someone tell me why in wrong, then convince me to go get that extra joycon set while you're at it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:13:42 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: December 08, 2018, 10:29:10 PM »
There is a Joy-Con grip with a charging port on it you can buy separately, I have one. As for that vs. a Pro Controller, it really depends on what you're playing. Some games support or even require individual Joy-Cons on their side.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1141 on: December 09, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »
The charging grip is $29.99 MSRP or $27.75 in Amazon dollars.  However, there are cheaper 3rd party options out there.

For Joy-Con, having the second set means that you have enough controllers to do four player games (MK8D, Overcooked!, Smash, etc.).  To me, that's the main advantage.  You buy the second set, and you basically don't "need" any more controllers.

To contrast, the Pro controller is a better controller if you're playing single or two player.  I played much of BotW with it.

That said, I also have a charging grip.  It's nice to have. I don't ever use the grip that came with the console.

TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 09, 2018, 07:52:42 PM »
I knew there had to be a charging grip.... Walmart apparently didn't have one, and that made me walk away from the purchase all together.

But thanks for pointing me directly to it. I added it to my cart on Amazon, but my Pro controller showed up today so I can 2player Smash which showed up on Friday (I have yet to open it)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 06, 2019, 01:10:29 PM »
We've been playing LEGO DC Villains, and this game is such a glitchy mess it's almost unplayable.

the game constantly crashes, for various reasons.
and during a level, 1 character just became uncontrollable. As in you could move teh camera, but not the character, so you just sat there.... you couldn't switch off, you were just stuck.
and then eventually this happened to the other character we were using.
They game wasn't frozen, just control of the character. if really annoying, as this game also takes a while to load back into the game you were just playing, so it's a few minutes wait each time just to get back in the game.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1144 on: January 06, 2019, 01:36:41 PM »
That sounds terrible.  Is there an update to patch this, or is it just a broken game?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 06, 2019, 02:33:24 PM »
it did an update on day 1. so I can only assume how unstable it must've been before that.... or maybe the patch broke it further? I have no idea.

There is no other updates for the game at this time though.
I want to complain to Tt games though, as this is pretty unacceptable.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1146 on: January 06, 2019, 03:02:04 PM »
That's bizarre. I didn't think the game was that glitchy.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 06, 2019, 11:10:56 PM »
you have and played the game too?

If we try one of the big billboards.... error, game kicks us out.
start making a custom character.... error
fighting a boss character.... sometimes... error
no good reason, just playing the level... error
just restarted and trying to speed play back to the point we were just at.... error

It got pretty frustrating. We quit playing earlier today after the last restart (6th of the play session).
We'll probably keep playing, but it's frustrating to not be able to freely enjoy the game as we did with the LEGO Marvel game, which had 0 problems

edit: I sent Tt Games a direct message, so we'll see how they respond.
Next I'll put it on their Twitter, and see if I get a response that way if I don't hear back in a timely manner.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 11:18:55 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 07, 2019, 08:35:53 AM »
I signed up for the free 7-day trial of Nintendo Switch Online. Literally used it twice, never played online and I read it isn’t great for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the only game I’d use it for. I’ll save my $20 for now.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1149 on: January 07, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »
you have and played the game too?

No, I'm kinda "meh" on the Lego franchise, tbh.