Author Topic: GBA SP  (Read 14394 times)

Offline Matt

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GBA SP
« on: February 01, 2003, 04:42:26 PM »
I've been trying to figure out something about the screen of the GBA SP for a while, but can't get an answer.

I'd like to find out what sort of screen it is.

Is it a hard plastic one like the GBC and GBA, or is it a "soft" one like notebook LCD's?

I'm asking here because I know PGC had someone at CES who actually saw the SP in person.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 04:45:14 PM »
The screen is the same as the GBA screen. The only difference is they add front lights so you can see the screen.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 04:47:08 PM »
Ah.

I'd of prefered the softer plastic type.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline reyontoyeny

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 06:10:21 PM »
I think the most important feature of the screen isnt the screen itself. Because the thing fold the screen in, scratches are more preventable. Those darn scratches are all over my screen.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 08:04:45 PM »
Yeah, the fold over is good, and that's why the should of made it that soft plastic, which is better.

However, the hard plastic may make it more durable, and possible to replace the screen.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2003, 08:32:03 PM »
Guys, the only difference between a typical laptop screen and that in the GBA is that the GBA screen has a SCREEN PROTECTOR covering it.  Considering the rough use most GBAs go through, this is a Good Thing.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Matt

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2003, 08:36:05 PM »
I've noticed that you get a clearer image and less glare without the protective thing.  The GB glares to me a lot, my computer doesn't.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline DarkDraco2K2

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2003, 11:08:14 PM »
Yes, that's true about the glare.. But the fact that it protects the screen from getting so messed up is worth it, I think. Besides, the glare usually isn't that bad if you're under the right lighting conditions... But with the SP, you can play it anywhere, anytime and not have to worry about sitting under a lamp. And the fact that the screen folds over means that I can put it in my pocket with no worries about it getting scratched up...

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
GBA SP
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2003, 01:13:37 AM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
Guys, the only difference between a typical laptop screen and that in the GBA is that the GBA screen has a SCREEN PROTECTOR covering it.  Considering the rough use most GBAs go through, this is a Good Thing.  
Goddammit I knew that I was hoping to be the smart arse to say it first too. Damn you staffers! The GBA SP actually needs this protective plastic over the LCD screen this time around because otehrwise the lights shining on the screen will be out in the open and at the mercy of the world. If they had a bare LCD screen then it would had to be actually back-lit and the power comsumption would be enornmas.

One thing that got me thinking abot the GBA SP however is the fold over thing. Do you think that because it folds over the buttons and crosspad might scratch or leave marks on the screen? I say this because the keyboard of Dad's fancy titanium plated PowerBook will actually leave marks on the screen unless he keeps a thin piece of cloth over the keyboard when folding it up. That said the screen protector (as we will now forever call the firm piece of plastic over our GBA screens) should be tought enough to not be damaged and wiped clean is such a thing does occur.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Kuchakor

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2003, 06:10:21 AM »

Originally posted by: RABicle

One thing that got me thinking abot the GBA SP however is the fold over thing. Do you think that because it folds over the buttons and crosspad might scratch or leave marks on the screen? I say this because the keyboard of Dad's fancy titanium plated PowerBook will actually leave marks on the screen unless he keeps a thin piece of cloth over the keyboard when folding it up. That said the screen protector (as we will now forever call the firm piece of plastic over our GBA screens) should be tought enough to not be damaged and wiped clean is such a thing does occur.

I think i read somewhere that the buttons are indented to prevent this from happening.
Hopefully!!

Town: TVLand
Name: Kuchakor

Whatya up to Norm?

My ideal weight if I were eleven feet tall.

Offline mudskip

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2003, 09:57:56 AM »
Yes, you can see in the pictures that the buttons are recessed a little into the case.
See..

Offline Matt

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2003, 06:50:22 PM »
Ah see, my computer has the screen set up perfectly so the buttons do not touch.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline Lao-tzu

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2003, 08:46:17 PM »
I think we need to start looking at the new games that will come out with the SP.

There's no new tech advancments in the hardware...

And they're running out of ideas and old games to emulate (plus the usual few levels extra)

So what coems next?

Keep in mind this is also the cellphone game industry that it'll be trying to hone in on too.
Name: Aaron
Town: Hobbiton

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
GBA SP
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2003, 03:03:58 AM »
There wont be any SP exclusive games. It's like how the GB Pocket was basically a slimmer, improved version of the original Gameboy but not technically supierior.

What do you mean their running out of old games to port? I could name about 15 SNES games that I never owned that I would buy for GBA. And what do you mean there running out of ideas? I'm sorry but I must've missed the game that Kuru Kuru Kururin copies and I dont know where Nintendo came up with that e-card reader. And then theres the motion sensor games. There's plenty of promise there (but theres the compatibility issue...)

And the mobile phone gaming things wont stand a chance. I mean are you looking forward to Snake 3 or something?

Offline MattCrafty

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2003, 12:57:55 PM »
Actually, I would enjoy a collection of cell phone games.

DAMN THOSE GAMES ARE ADDICTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This post is certified virus-free.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2003, 01:40:45 PM »
"What do you mean their running out of old games to port? I could name about 15 SNES games that I never owned that I would buy for GBA."

Shut up.  Third parties might be reading this.

Seriously they could port absolutely NO more SNES games to the GBA and I would be happy.  I have a SNES and aside from a few rare titles I have pretty much every SNES title I've ever wanted so I don't need any more ports (aside from Secret of Mana which I have yet to find a copy of).  Any of you guys that are happy that the GBA is so port happy are NUTS in my opinion.  Why be deprived of NEW titles and pay full price for older games?

As for running out of ideas, because everyone has been so port happy they've barely scratched the surface of what can be done on the GBA.  Aside from Metroid and a few others pretty much every Nintendo franchise can have a new GBA game.  Mario and Zelda are naturally at the top of my list.  Or how about a new 2D Final Fantasy from Square or brand new 2D Contra?  Konami could make a new 2d Metal Gear with decent graphics for once.  And that's just making new games for old franchises.  Who knows what new stuff is in the works.

I'm not buying an SP mainly because I don't feel like buying another GBA when the one I have is sufficient.  I use my GBA pretty much as a home console anyway so the GB Player will be my light solution.  

Offline babaloulou

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2003, 04:11:35 PM »
 ------
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:26:14 PM by babaloulou »
I'm sorry momma/I didn't mean to make you mad/But tonight, I'm crying in the closet.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
GBA SP
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2003, 11:33:43 PM »
Well i dont have all the snes games i've ever wanted to own so NER! No but really I can see the idea they are using here with the port philosiphy. You see there would be roughly 3 times as many gamers around today as tehre were in the SNES era. And many of those people never got to play the SNES classics and would gladly pay full price for a great Zelda or Mario game of yesturyear. And at the same time Nintendo dont have to put much effort into these ports to make a quick buck. i honestly cant blame them.

And the GBA SP has no more RAM. None!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2003, 07:24:12 AM »
"And the GBA SP has no more RAM. None!"

No RAM?!  Then how does it play games?

All of you guys you like and defend GBA ports are failing one important thing.  Ports are fine as a supplement to new releases.  Ports are not fine when they are released in PLACE of new releases and are sold at full price and in some cases are even advertised as a new game.  Some ports are great.  I'm very happy that the SNES Final Fantasy games were ported to the Playstation.  Nobody really complained about those.  But if those games were released instead of the FF VII-IX and were sold seperately at full price people would have freaked out.

With the SNES Nintendo gave me a new Mario game and a collection of all the other Mario games on one cartridge.  Therefore I feel it's unreasonable for them to expect me to buy those same games released seperately without a new 2D Mario game to go with it.  Every copy of Super Mario Advance that's sold gives Nintendo the message that a new 2D Mario game is not needed.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2003, 07:47:10 AM »

"And the GBA SP has no more RAM. None!"

No RAM?! Then how does it play games?

No MORE RAM, Ian.  As in, no ADDITIONAL RAM.  Reading Comprehension, people ...
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2003, 09:42:58 AM »
I was JOKING Rick.  Note the smiley face.

Offline tonx

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2003, 06:42:26 PM »
I just can't see the sp being comfotable for a gamer like me. I'm a big guy and the shape of the GBA is (almost) perfect for a guy like me. The light and the fold over screen are very good ideas which couldn't have been used at launch because of cost, just about everyone that travels has a fold over light. Porting is great but I totally agree that the price should be reduced, it can't take to much to port a game to a system that most likely uses SNES type technology. That's my biggest beef with the GBA is the price of games, but I bought a Gamecube and GBA and link cable just for the potential of it. I have Metroid Prime and yet to get Metroid Fusion but I can't wait to play Metroid. When I had Sonic Adventure 2 I had Sonic Advance and even my Wife liked that

Offline gba2002

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2003, 08:58:46 PM »
I think everyone needs to learn that there is nothing new about the GBA SP on the inside (computer memroy or power wise). I has a built in FRONT LIGHT (lots of people call it a back light) and the flip screen. No exclusive games will be produced however there is that new memory card that ya can put movies on and they make one both for the GBA and GBA SP.

GBA SP
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2003, 06:17:40 PM »
I just hope the screen will be able to last with all the travel I plan to put it through.  Gawd, I REALLY want one now!  However, I am gonna fell stupid for sinking 100 bucks into it then a few months later they'll drop the price.  Just like they did when I got my GBA.  Dammit Nintendo, they need to consult me before making their decisions.  I thought I had that conversation with them before.  They just can't get it through their heads.   Wait, sorry, went off on a tangent there.  I type wierd things when I'm tired.  

Love,

Marcus Arillius
it was time for a change.

Offline NIN10D0

• View Profile
GBA SP
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2003, 09:12:37 PM »
I still have the original GB with green screen that hurts my eyes... I also get these annoying lines over edge of the screen while I play...
Looks like I'm getting this one. : D