Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 692203 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #750 on: March 30, 2015, 01:29:30 AM »
Super Mario Land (Gameboy VC):

...It preserves the SMB physics and play-style...
? SML physics are absolutely nothing like traditional SMB1.

Donkey Kong '94 (Gameboy VC):
...but the stiff movement and jumping doesn't translate super well to this kind of experience...
?? Physics are not like SMB at all, but they're not bad at all. As one can guess from name alone it comes from Donkey Kong and has DK arcade specific things like fall damage, that was abolished in Super Mario series. But they're massively expanded upon, like you can roll out of a long fall.

DK' 94 rivals SM' 64 in terms of how many moves Mario has. It's not just handstand. It's back flip (somersault), triple jump, jumping INTO handstand, jumping OUT of a handstand, rolling and many other moves.

And they're all available to you from the get go -- it's not like you're unlocking them as you go. Every four levels you're shown a new move or a new gimmick. DK' 94 manages to keep it up for the entire duration of relatively long game. That's the level of creativity Galaxy games have where they invent a cool gimmick to play with for one-two levels and then drop it.

Borrowed PS3 from a friend to play some exclusives (mostly for MGS4):

3D Dot Game Heroes:
Character creator was pretty amusing. One thing that makes it stand out is graphics -- i really like water ripple and voxel destruction effects. Otherwise it's a very straightforward Zelda 1 clone.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots:
It's quite amazing how each MGS game manages to have broken controls time after time after time. MGS3 (or MGS3 on 3DS) was probably the closest series ever got to having comfortable controls. I would be completely fine if that control scheme was used in MGS4 intact.

But noooooo... MGS4 changes controls make them closer to traditional console FPSs and in result you get an unhappy medium that screws over both newcomers to the series (while tweaked around, controls are STILL way too unconventional) AND longtime players.

Third person camera worked in 3, because you mostly operated on wide areas outside. Even occasional buildings and corridors were very wide to allow you easily manipulate the camera. While 4 is full of cramped, tight passages and corridors and babysitting camera there is major problem.

Also there is something wrong with lying down, crouching, standing cycle on X. It was a problem even in MGS3 but it has become especially bad in 4. I constantly randomly lie down or crouch when i just want to stand up during combat.

It's cool that you now can move while aiming but i don't think it was worth losing aiming with the left stick. I am considering activating auto-aim option, because i am rubbish with aiming on the right stick.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #751 on: March 30, 2015, 01:34:10 AM »
Conception II (r18+ON ESHOP WAT?)
Mass effect + Etrian Odyssey + hentai + Conception II
Seriously tho it is a good game.
Made you look ****.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 30, 2015, 09:52:24 AM »

? SML physics are absolutely nothing like traditional SMB1.

?? Physics are not like SMB at all, but they're not bad at all. As one can guess from name alone it comes from Donkey Kong and has DK arcade specific things like fall damage, that was abolished in Super Mario series. But they're massively expanded upon, like you can roll out of a long fall.

DK' 94 rivals SM' 64 in terms of how many moves Mario has. It's not just handstand. It's back flip (somersault), triple jump, jumping INTO handstand, jumping OUT of a handstand, rolling and many other moves.

And they're all available to you from the get go -- it's not like you're unlocking them as you go. Every four levels you're shown a new move or a new gimmick. DK' 94 manages to keep it up for the entire duration of relatively long game. That's the level of creativity Galaxy games have where they invent a cool gimmick to play with for one-two levels and then drop it.

Super Mario Land absolutely attempts to play like the original Super Mario Brothers. It doesn't do a particularly good job given the controls and level design, as I said. Now Super Mario Land 2 is a whole different kettle of fish, and feels a lot closer to a Wario Land game than I expected.

And obviously DK 94 is based on the arcade game controls, that's what I said. I guess I haven't gotten to all of the move reveals, but it all seems to revolve around the handstand, which I mentioned as the hook. Overall, though, it still plays like stiff DK arcade. The level design thus far is pretty much just "pick up thing, get to end of level", which is why I'm not going over the moon for it, but I will definitely finish it out in hopes that it'll grow on me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 02, 2015, 10:57:24 PM »
I'm 30 stars into Super Mario 64 on the Wii U Virtual Console. I'm loving the game almost as much as I'm hating the camera.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 02, 2015, 11:12:12 PM »
Yoshi's New Island (via Club Nintendo's Platinum-colored table scraps) - not as terrible as I've been led to believe. I despise how there's only the exact number of red coins/stars in a given stage, so if you miss one you might as well just restart the stage because there's no point in continuing, but that's a Yoshi series thing in general. Also, because the circle pad is a piece of ****, I've probably lost a couple dozen lives to accidentally sending Yoshi into a butt stomp mid-air when I was trying to steer him during a flutter jump. Overall..."meh" so far (cleared the 1st world with all stars/coins/flowers), but I was expecting worse.

The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures (Wii U) - It's a game worthy of the license. It's hard as hell (I died over 207 times on easy), but if you play on Easy like I did it's very do-able since you have unlimited lives and there are frequent checkpoints. Once I settled into the old school mode of accepting that everything in the game was going to try to screw me over in one way or another and to anticipate that, I didn't have too much trouble outside of the final boss (which is probably where the lion's share of those 207 deaths were). Fantastic soundtrack, btw.

FF Type 0 HD (PS4) - I'm 4 chapters into the game, and it's just...not...clicking with me, at all. I come to Final Fantasy for the story and characters, and both are barely present so far. So far, it's just another generic Japanese game about high school students and time management, with some combat thrown in. I do really dig the combat, though.

Life is Strange Ep. 2 (PS4) - Kicks ass, but don't expect big fate of the world sort of storytelling.

Sunset Overdrive: Dawn of the Rise of the Fallen Machines (Xbone DLC)- BEST FINAL BOSS FIGHT I'VE SEEN ALL YEAR with B-Win. Now THAT'S how you end a game's run by dropping the mic. No question.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 03, 2015, 05:54:48 AM »
I gave up Yoshi's New Island on World 5; Arzest really needed to step up it's game because this one was bland.  it's not broken by any means but it's so "been here done that" gameplay that I kept falling dozing off. 

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 03, 2015, 07:55:10 AM »
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U) - Super glad this was a Club Nintendo reward instead of actually paying for the game - the Donkey Kong Country series has never been something I enjoy very much and it looks like nothing has changed.  But it sure looks pretty.  Shame there are such lousy loading times though. Nothing else on my hard drive seems to be problematic, but there have been a bunch of 5-10 second loading delays between levels early on for DKC:TF.
NNID: ejamer

Offline GaziSalahuddin

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 06, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »
Now i am playing GTA III and Prince of Persia T2T. Both games are enjoyable and challenging. I am very excited to finish them.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 07, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »
Started Bloodborne last night.  I only played the Demon's Souls game before this, so that's my only point of reference.  The game looks great, also move a bit quicker & more fluidly than Demon's Souls.  It seemed easier to traverse the first level, so I got overconfident and got mauled by a group of zombie/infected villagers.  I have the thing that looks like a giant hacksaw attached to a stick as a weapon, works well so far.
Instead of a parry, you have a gun that acts as a stun weapon to open enemies to attack, but you have to find ammo.  It's an interesting wrinkle, and it makes me nervous to use it too much so I don't have it for when it's necessary.  You can use pebbles to throw at individual enemies & lure them one by one instead of facing a whole mob.  In fact, you're risking a very likely death if you take more than one or two enemies at a time.

Common gripe that's unacceptable to me - load times between deaths are miserable.  I'm talking 15-30 seconds miserable.  In a game where you're prone to dying this often, that's far too much of a stopping point between deaths.  It needs to be closer to something like Rogue Legacy where once you die, you can in a few seconds start again.  This might keep me from playing for extended periods of time.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 07, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
From Software said they are addressing the load times and will fix that.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline SgtFlowers

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 07, 2015, 02:58:02 PM »
I bought Titanfall for the 360 on sale and just started playing it. Besides the online thing and a slight no story mode, its really fun.

The free running in this game is smooth and when you practice enough you'll be able to get across the map in no time. The titans are fun to utilize in this game. you can pilot the mech, have your titan follow you, defend spots, or make it a portable nuke. The guns are also great in this game, I personally love the smart pistol as it locks on to targets and shoots them for you saving you time and effort.

Titanfall is fast paced and fun, and for being a mash up of first person shooters and mirror edge running mechanics
, the game does not falter. Using the traditional restricted first person view combined with high speed movement and simple gameplay mechanics, this makes the gameplay amazingly enjoyable, creative, and a smooth experience.

The big down side ive seen besides the always online was that Titanfall's graphics take a big down turn a times. I figure this has to do with the game connecting to the servers, but man it starts to look like star wars republic commando at times.

On a side note, if you have or get the game used or new, the dlc maps are all free at the moment. Its for the one year anniversary of this game so they are celebrating by giving away the maps.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:03:25 PM by SgtFlowers »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 07, 2015, 11:37:07 PM »
Been playing more FF Type 0 HD, and I'm near the end of the game. Man, it is seriously depressing me how utterly mediocre this game is. I really want to love this game because I do love the combat, but the design of everything else is incredibly weak and the story and characterization borders on nonexistent. EVERYTHING about this game is withheld for New Game+, which makes End Game play especially depressing because there's nothing you can do and nowhere you can go without getting wasted by enemies 30 levels stronger than you.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

« Reply #762 on: April 08, 2015, 12:12:55 AM »
I nabbed an old PS2 off Ebay. It came today and I put my copy of Dynasty Warriors 3 in. System works well. I also found a handful of old PS2 games in my basement. highlights include:
- Metal Gear Solid 2
- Shadow of the Colossus
- We love Katamari
- Timesplitters: Future Perfect

I also have Dark cloud 2 coming in the mail soon!
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 08, 2015, 12:23:48 PM »
Elliot Quest (WiiU):

I have a weird conflicted relationship with this game. I've put probably 15 hours into it, and I am basically wallowing in despair, but keep playing. It's glitchy as hell, and I wasted a lot of time earlier on because I didn't realize I had been glitch warped to an area I wasn't supposed to be yet, and felt lost and confounded. The difficulty spikes are brutal with each new spur you access off the main map. Enemies are arrow sponges even after you upgrade your weapon, they do tons of damage even after you upgrade your armor, and you never feel nimble enough to deal with the projectile hell screens that pop up more frequently as you go along. Progression is completely obtuse. Like, I think I could beat the game at this point, having cleared the four temples and gained access to the red forest island, but I have only four of the crystals, and tons of paths are blocked by crystal gates all around the game. I have no idea where the missing crystals could be, as I've combed every area I can access and can't find more of them (or even the second one, which I missed and can't find). There aren't any faqs up, and given the game structure it's really hard to sift out useful directions from forum posts. Most of the gated areas you can return to in previous areas just lead to useless treasure chests or tiny magic meter expansions.

Today I found the last four-crystal gate I hadn't opened, having forgotten about it, and went through an annoying bubble-jumping sequence only to discover . . . another chunk of the island I didn't know existed, apparently the hardest yet from what little I poked into the new areas. Instead of excitement I feel only dread. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 08, 2015, 12:54:58 PM »
Maybe don't release the game when is has such unacceptable load times?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 08, 2015, 05:35:04 PM »
Maybe don't release the game when is has such unacceptable load times?

Yeah….I'm glad they're going to address it in some undetermined amount of time in the future, but for now, it's really frustrating how much time is spent sitting there staring at a load screen.  I don't know if Triforce Hermit was necessarily trying to be dismissive of the complaint, but I don't know why anyone would be ok with 30 second load times each time you die in a game series that's explicitly known for how often you die.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 08, 2015, 07:31:52 PM »
I wasn't trying to dismiss it. Hell, 30 seconds to respawn in any of their Souls-esque game would be hell. I was just informing they plan on fixing it, instead of just leaving it.

I think From Software likes to hit the early year release. Like all other developers, they just plan to patch it later because hitting a set release date > finished product on release.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline GaziSalahuddin

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 10, 2015, 12:49:32 AM »
I am playing Tomb Raider. This is a very nice game. The main female character is Lara Croft.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 10, 2015, 12:30:27 PM »
Elliot Quest (WiiU):

Update:

So after about 20 hours, and having finally gotten enough crystals to access a new set of areas, I got glitched into a zone that I can't escape and walked past a save point before I realized it. So there goes the whole fucking game. No way I'm going to restart, particularly after this glitch bullshit, which, who knows, could happen again in some other form. This is seriously the worst QA I've ever encountered in a game, not just this final incident but all over the place.

Seriously DO NOT BUY THIS GAME unless the developer pushes a major patch. I pinged him about my issue on Twitter but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 10, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »
Gah, that sucks dude.

I'm playing Box Boy! right now and I'm loving every minute of it.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 10, 2015, 06:47:48 PM »
Second Elliot Quest Update:

The original developer and port house responded that they had just pushed a new patch today that prevents the trap glitch, and fixes it for those who are affected. I booted it back up, installed the patch, and saw no difference. The original dev said to try it again, and when I booted the game back up it froze on the splash page, threw up an error, and hard locked the WiiU. This repeated on subsequent attempts, and after power cycling.

What an exciting chronicle!

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 10, 2015, 09:37:11 PM »
downloaded Super Mario 64 virtual console been playing that lately.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 11, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »
I fell back into playing old school Runescape. It's like losing your teachings from rehab and going back on old habits.

I need help.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 12, 2015, 05:28:56 AM »
I started up Borderlands: The Handsome Jack Collection tonight. The gear grind/shooter combo has always appealed to me, even though I've owned games in the series without playing much of them. I got this one because it has cross-save with the Vita version of BL2, which is the one I'd played the most beforehand.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 13, 2015, 10:39:29 PM »
Super Punch Out

Man, I love me some Punchout, but I never played this one much.

• Bald Bull is much easier in Super than in the original
  • Dragon Chan needs to be disqualified for using his feet
  • I miss Doc Louis
  • I miss having rounds!
  • It seems near impossible to get a pure KO in Super