Author Topic: Give me Mario Kart or give me death  (Read 141170 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion (TALK ABOUT MARIO KART HERE)
« Reply #325 on: May 22, 2003, 06:07:51 AM »
I don't want to sound like a pompous ass for saying this, but Mario's former arch-enemy was DK's father(AKA Cranky Kong).

The idea of merging the two games together wouldn't really work, because in DKR you rode various animal life, not karts(well they could change it, but Rambi rocks! )
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 22, 2003, 01:42:34 PM »
Mario and DK have always been rather close, game-wise.  I don't know why, perhaps their roots as enemy/good guy in the very beginning of their careers.  Maybe something else, too.  Either way, DK has almost always been in Mario multiplayer games.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline EggyToast

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Kart Discussion (TALK ABOUT MARIO KART HERE)
« Reply #327 on: May 22, 2003, 05:37:58 PM »
I was under the impression that the Mario and Donkey Kong relationship goes back to before Mario entered the mushroom kingdom.  Which is why he had a girlfriend (pauline, right?), there were the weird "construction site" style levels, and his jumping abilities or fireball abilities weren't that great.

It also explains why he hasn't gone up against donkey kong lately.  Well, that, and because Mario hasn't aged whilst donkey kong has (cranky kong).  Funny, that...

Offline NintendoFreak329

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 22, 2003, 07:07:02 PM »
I think that the Mario Kart series should stick to having only characters from the mushroom kingdom in it.  This means no Zelda characters and not all the characters from the donkey kong games.  Merging Mario Kart and Donkey Kong racing just wouldn't work out.  Now as for Toad being in this game, I'm almost positive he'll be in it in some way.  

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 22, 2003, 07:40:26 PM »
Why not merge them?
They practically already are merged.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline TOY

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 23, 2003, 10:18:45 AM »
I went to Gamestop today to see if they were taking preorders for MK DD, they were and the sales clerk said it will be released in December, but he didnt have an exact date.

TOY

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 23, 2003, 11:31:44 AM »
I'm fine with DK racing as long as they don't merge the two worlds.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mariomeatball

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 23, 2003, 03:17:32 PM »
I'm trying to like mario kart: dd..... i really really am... but, frankly, i miss the KARTS!!! I dunno how to feel about the new direction the game has taken and if the controlls arn't perfect (i've read they kinda suck) i dunno if im even going to buy it... please reassure me that the game will be everything the other games have been.

Offline TOY

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 23, 2003, 07:13:02 PM »
Well Mariomeatball, I was'nt to sure about the vehicle change at first either, but I think it's cool. All the characters get a cart that represents them in their own way, I think it makes it a little more interesting. As far as handling goes, the game IS made by Nintendo so I doubt their will be any problems with the controls. According to the Gamestop dude I gave 5 bucks to today to reserve my copy, the release date is sometime in December so they have plenty of time to get any bugs out.

TOY

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 24, 2003, 12:26:40 PM »
Anybody know a thing about the special Mario Kart controllers?   I'm curious as what they would be like.   I already got 4 controllers though, and it's really not worth it unless it's really great and still good for other games.  

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 24, 2003, 02:27:49 PM »
Theres alot of time left, this game is gonna be polished by time it comes out.  I love MarioKart64, but never bought it.  Anyway, I am not gonna make that mistake again, I am buying this one when it comes out.  The game already looks impressive in motion.  Nintendo has alot riding on this one.  
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline S8N

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 25, 2003, 02:45:43 AM »
huh? they're making special Mario Kart Controllers? I haven't heard about that, got any links? I've only got two controllers so far and one is a rubbish third party one which rumbles too loud (have to turn off rumble in the game or it gets too annoying) and I only got because it was £20 for that and a 8MB memory card bundle. If they're any good I might get one but if its only practical for that one game then I probably won't bother

I'm guessing it'll have a (mini?) steering wheel on it, depends on how big the controller is though.

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 25, 2003, 06:41:35 AM »
Are you talking about the game's compatibility with that 3rd party steering wheel that's available?  I remember reading about it at some e3 reports, but it's not "special" as far as I know.  Just that it's compatible and works well.

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 25, 2003, 10:32:35 AM »
Well I remember reading about this on other sites as well but this is the first one I scrounged up.

Gamers.com Article

In the very last pargraph it states, "Meanwhile, previews in Japan's Famitsu Weekly magazine indicate that the game will indeed feature eight-player competition on two linked Gamecubes, and Nintendo also plans to release a special controller for the game."  

I'm really curious as how it going to be, because its kinda strange IMO.   Imagine a controller with turtle shells for buttons and stuff.  

Offline S8N

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 25, 2003, 11:18:16 AM »
hmm, sorry for going slightly offtopic (still about mario kart but about something other than special controllers) but I've just had a thought (a very rare occurance ).
If Gamespy bring out a tunnelling system for Mario Kart to play online, would you only be able to play against one other Gamecube owner at a time or would you be able to connect to more than one? because otherwise that'd mean that unless you had 4 people at each Gamecube it would mainly be 1v1 matches (plus CPU players). Can you only play 1v1 when you tunnel on the Xbox?
Hope that made sense.

Anyway back on topic:
I have a feeling that the new controller will either a) just be a normal Gamecube controller with Mario Kart printed on it (maybe a diff colour too) or b) be something with different functions to other controllers (which might make it an exclusive to Mario Kart controller) or c) a standard steering wheel

I'm kind of hoping it'll be b) even though I probably wouldn't get it. Maybe it'll have a little screen on it where it tells you what items you've got and a display of the map (so nobody else can see your items) but then again they could just use the GBA for that and give people another excuse to buy one and it'd probably be too expensive to make

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 25, 2003, 06:41:49 PM »
You missed more recent news.  You can use any combination of cubes to achieve 8 player games.  2 cubes w/ 4 players, 4 cubes w/ 2 players, or 8 cubes with 1 player each.

Hence, with any sort of online, you'd be able to play it as you prefer.  They're not making LAN limitations -- they're making a game, and then making the LAN controls fit the game's limitations (8 per track).

Offline Boffo

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 26, 2003, 06:24:06 AM »
Gameboy Player and Super Circuit together:

I'm curious how this will pan out.  I'm sure you can play 4 players on the gamecube with it, but you'll probably be limited to the number of tracks you can play, like you are with 4 GBAs and one game pak.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 26, 2003, 07:49:41 AM »
Gameboy Player acts just like a regular GBA and the screen is the TV. I dont know for sure if you could link it with other GBA, probably not since its purpose is to allow you to play GBA games on a tv. If you can link up then one person would play on the tv and the other people would play on their GBA (i.e. no split screen).
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 26, 2003, 11:18:05 PM »
I think the best demonstration of what the Game Boy Player could do was at the Pokemon Playoff in Sydney a couple of months ago. There was a two player competition on Mario Kart Super Circuit, where one player had the GBA SP, and the other was on a Wavebird looking at the TV, which was facing the audience. EVeryone was impressed at the demo.
But the thing everyone was impressed at was at the end, the final two players battling. That was cool.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline S8N

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 27, 2003, 10:44:17 AM »
Ah thanks for the info eggytoast, I didn't see anything about that but I'll take your word for it

by the way I've just read on Nintendo News that the Gameboy Player will be available from the VIP Stars Catalogue, does anyone know how many stars it will probably cost?  

Offline 220man

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 31, 2003, 12:49:47 AM »
I think that Mario Kart will be a huge hit and I'm gunna buy it straight away. I need a good nintendo game after the huge dissapoinment of Zelda with it's new "kiddy" look. Do any of you know when it's coming out in Australia? I'm Australian (mate !) an I keep hearing of all this American stuff : It's so not fair !

I'm physchic. If I wanted your opinion I would have told you what it was.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 31, 2003, 06:09:17 AM »

Originally posted by: 220man
I need a good nintendo game after the huge dissapoinment of Zelda with it's new "kiddy" look.

*sigh*

MK: DD will be out in Europe by the end of the year, so I won't doubt it coming to the Outback around that time as well.  And after that above statement of yours, can you really call yourself a true gamer?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2003, 09:36:32 AM »

I need a good nintendo game after the huge dissapoinment of Zelda with it's new "kiddy" look

Did you actually play Zelda WW or did you take one look at the graphics and say this is crap. The graphics are different, and they fit perfectly with the game. And the game is one of the best for Gamecube.

Back on topic. Mario Kart looks excellent. Nintendo has a video and it shows the karts getting blasted through the air, and diddy kong who is in the backseat is hanging on for dear life with has hands and the rest of him is freefalling behind the kart, excellent. I also like how they hold the weapons, like Mario holding a lightning bold, then throwing it to use it. I cant wait for this game.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2003, 02:07:08 PM »
You are sadly mistaken about Zelda.  And are you really Australian?  It doesn't seem to me that Australians would make many "mate!" jokes.

MKD will be good though, even if you are foolish enough not to like Zelda (or, probably in your case, even try it).