Community Forums > General Chat

Tim Epic vs. Tim Apple: Title fight!

(1/4) > >>

pokepal148:
I was wondering where all that Fortnite money was going since it certainly didn't go to the Epic Games Store.

NWR_insanolord:
Didn't you see the production values on that 1984 video? That must have eaten up most of it.

nickmitch:
I assume cocaine prices have been going up lately, which is serving as the basis for this lawsuit.

Kairon:
Cue the Dr. Serizawa "Let them fight" gif from Godzilla.

I can see that in general a rebellion against the 30% take could possibly be good for all developers in the ecosystem, and also that Apple's absolute control over what software lands on the iTunes AppStore is possibly a little too strong (probably in this case, the most interesting recent example is Apple making XCloud pretty difficult to work on their platform). Epic's rhetoric against Steam definitely seems a warm-up to this.

I have a hard time envisioning this as a wholesale attack on closed platforms in particular, though if it grew into THAT much of a legal conflagration then definitely Nintendo would be affected.

But the ridiculousness is just how big these industry players are who are duking it out in public. There's been so much firepower displayed, legal broadsides, and rabid direct-to-consumer marketing about this in such a short amount of time. It's especially astounding that Epic had lawsuits seemingly ready to go with this AND a 1984 parody commercial to tweak Apple's nose, they INTENDED to make a big deal out of this. It's ridiculous the directness of the fight being waged somewhat in public view, at least from Epic's side.

And then Apple has ESCALATED by now threatening ALL of Epic's tools in their ecosystem, including the beloved Unreal Engine?

Cue the "popcorn" gif.

RABicle:
I don't understand the handwringing from Epic over Unreal Engine not being supported if Apple revoke their developer license. I mean, Apple deal with content on the App store on a per app basis. They don't care if the underlying code comes from another licensed product (in this case, Unreal) games that use Unreal on the iPhone aren't going to stop working and games in development with it will still be able to come out because Epic isn't their publisher. It might, in the abstract, affect Epic's ability to improve the iOS support going forward but considering they host on their own blog guides by independent developers about how to attach mac support to the engine, one has to question how valuable their own development is.

Anywya the whole thing is grandstanding from Tim Sweeny, emboldened by his Tencent bux. Apple (and the rest of the industry) could probably drop their margins, and this might in some way assist in the struggle, but this lawsuit wont go Epic's way, if they actually intend to follow through with it at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version