Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 250087 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Um, Apple thread
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »
There is one for Android, so I thought maybe there could be a general thread on Apple news and discussion. I will start it off with general stuff.

Reports are that Apple will unveil iOS 7 at the 2013 Worldwide Developers Conference (iOS 5 was announced at the 2011 one, and iOS 6 at the 2012 one), which would mean a mid-August release at the earliest. It will supposedly be sleeker and more simple.

UK consumer watch dog the Office of Fair Trading is investigating Apple over the issue of in-app purchases in games aimed at children following a 300% increase in complaints about it from consumers (including a UK police officer who reported his own child for fraud after refused to refund $5,680 worth of in-app purchases his kid made). Although any ruling would only affect the UK, the size of the UK market could lead to any ruling to cause Apple to tighten rules on in-app purchases from childrens games.

Code in the beta version of OS X 10.8.4 suggest that future Mac's may support 802.11ac, the proposed next generation of wi-fi (currently its 802.11n). 802.11ac is not yet ratified by the IEEE (though its expected to do so by late 2013 or early 2014). It will provide a major bump in speed and performance, up to 1.3Gbpsm though it only uses the 5Ghz band and isnt as efficient at getting through solid objects like floors and walls.
[/size]
[/size]Apple has reportedly agreed to pay $53 million to settle a 2010 class action lawsuit regarding Apple refusing to honor warranties on iOS devices.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Apple thread
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 01:05:40 AM »
I just hope they make the drop-down menu more like the Android one. And for the love of all that is holy, give the next iPhone a fucking micro SD card slot. I'm tired of running out of room on iOS devices.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:08:17 AM by Oblivion »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:11:09 AM »
I would love an SD card slot, but I think Apple likes forcing people to upgrade to a bigger model if they want more space. I hope that they bring back smaller options for the iPod Touch. I hate that the 5th gen iPod Touch only comes in 32GB and 64GB (4th gen let you get 8GB and 16GB), which means you have to spend at least $300 if you want a 5th gen iPod Touch.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 01:12:17 AM »
I would love an SD card slot, but I think Apple likes forcing people to upgrade to a bigger model if they want more space. I hope that they bring back smaller options for the iPod Touch. I hate that the 5th gen iPod Touch only comes in 32GB and 64GB (4th gen let you get 8GB and 16GB), which means you have to spend at least $300 if you want a 5th gen iPod Touch.

Why would you want anything less?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 01:15:18 AM »
I want it as an option for affordability reasons. Not everyone who wants an iPod Touch can afford to shell out $300 ($324 after tax in New York) on one.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 01:24:09 AM »
I want it as an option for affordability reasons. Not everyone who wants an iPod Touch can afford to shell out $300 ($324 after tax in New York) on one.

Then why not get the 4th Gen model? They are still being produced and sold alongside the 5th Gen, and are getting cheaper every month. I mean, just go to the refurbished Apple Store and you'll see what I mean:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_touch

8GB for $150, 16GB for $170, and 32GB for $180. Not a bad deal, unless you REALLY want the better camera and bigger screen.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 01:29:02 AM »
It also helps future-proof for Apps since some games dont work for older iOS systems.

The 5th gen looks pretty good. I don't know, I just think Apple should give consumers choices.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 01:48:03 AM »
I recently subscribed to iTunes Match, which I'm liking a lot. It makes managing music on my iOS devices a lot more streamlined than it was before.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 02:02:30 AM »
It doesn't matter what Apple does with iOS7. I'm going to buy the next iPhone anyway. I don't think it's better or worse than other phones. It suits my needs, I'm used to it, and all I really want now is 4G. The Blackberry Z10 intrigued me, but why bother? I'm going to use them exactly the same way. Might as well get the one that's supported by practically everything.

On a separate note, I hope the next iMac has a Retina Display. I've been meaning to get an iMac for a while now, but since Apple released the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, I figured I would wait. My MacBook Pro is still running well so I'm in no rush until Apple finally upgrades the iMac's screen.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 02:07:06 AM »
I will also be buying the next iPhone, because I still have an iPhone 4. I was planning to get an iPhone 5 but was waiting until there was an untethered jailbreak for it, and then that took a lot longer than I expected and by that point I had other things I wanted to buy, and then I decided to wait for the next one.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 02:13:33 AM »
My first smartphone will probably be the iPhone 5 once either the 5S is released or the 6 is.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 08:31:17 AM »
I've only seen one person with a 5th gen iPod Touch, they must not be selling that well.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 08:32:59 AM »
I imagine the booming sales of smartphones have cut into the demand for a device like that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »
True, and I imagine Apple making the cheapest one $300 isn't helping either. Most people I knew with a iPod Touch had either the 8 or 16GB models.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »
I go with price, for the most part. They still sell **** tons of 4th gen iPod Touch (I replace the screen of at least 10 a week), no one has ever brought in a 5th gen.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 02:29:44 PM »
I'm hoping they start going down a lot in price because of this.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »
Me too. My iPod Touch was stolen about a month ago. If i'm going to replace it, I would prefer 5th gen due to the improvements (like the camera being 5MP vs. just 0.8MP for 4th gen, Siri, faster processor, bigger screen, etc.)

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 04:43:11 PM »
Wait the 4th Ge screen was only .8 MP? No wonder it looked like ****! And people were bitching about the DSi/3DS having a low quality camera...

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 05:56:06 PM »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »
Nailed it!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 07:12:28 PM »
I was going to offer a rebuttal, but this is the same person who posted roughly 147 straight "SO OBLIVIOUS..." posts so clearly that would be a waste of time. Just once before I die I would like to see an Apple thread not descend into this nonsense. Just once. I feel like there's a better chance of me riding a unicorn into Atlantis.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 07:23:17 PM »
I was going to offer a rebuttal, but this is the same person who posted roughly 147 straight "SO OBLIVIOUS..." posts so clearly that would be a waste of time. Just once before I die I would like to see an Apple thread not descend into this nonsense. Just once. I feel like there's a better chance of me riding a unicorn into Atlantis.
the first three are legitimate criticisms of apple
the fourth one is basically a universal truth
the fifth one was a bit stretchy but... don't care
adrock, challenge accepted

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »
Saying the iPhone hasn't changed because Springboard is largely the same as it was in 2007 is beyond stupid.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 08:46:30 PM »
Saying the iPhone hasn't changed because Springboard sucks compared to the homescreen of any android device that runs 1.5 'cupcake'(released in 2009) or above is beyond stupid.
Fixed
:D

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »
I wouldn't say Springboard sucks next to an Android home screen, but then again that's a very subjective topic. I personally think the simplicity and clean design Apple has used since the beginning is better than a lot of what I've seen of Android. But again, subjective.

This OS wars bullshit, be it Windows vs. Mac or iOS vs. Android, is incredibly tiresome. Use what you like and don't be a douche to people who chose something different.

J.P. Corbran