Author Topic: GameCube controller, Really hurts...  (Read 14490 times)

Offline Tomer

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GameCube controller, Really hurts...
« on: June 02, 2003, 11:23:29 AM »
Hey..

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but the controller for the gamecube really hurts my fingers.. It's actually just the two trigger buttons, ( L and R  buttons ) that ussually act as turbos, or in shooter games as one of the triggers.. anyhow, i just picked up a copy of NBA Street Vol. 2 for the cube.. Great game, but my finger for the R button is just killing me.. Does anyone else have this problem and are there any other gamecube controllers i can try out.. I'm pretty happy with the rest of the layout of the controller, it's just the way the L and R buttons are possitiond ( i guess ) that really hurts my two trigger fingers..

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 11:33:05 AM »
The Gamecube controller (the official one) is one of the most wonderful things that I've ever had the pleasure of putting my hands upon.  I've never had any problems with discomfort, much less pain.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
RE: GameCube controller, Really hurts...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 11:33:15 AM »
I definately don't have, or have ever heard of, this problem. I find that the GCN controller has the best triggers out of any controller...
Maybe there is something wrong with your hand? Does it hurt when you do other things?  

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 11:33:56 AM »
the triggers used to hurt my fingers as well (i guess it stems from the handles being too short)

maybe try just holding the controller another way.. i stopped using my little fingers on the handles.. and now the controller is infinitely excellent
I'll shut up now...

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 12:13:35 PM »
The only trouble I've had with gamecube controllers is the face buttons. Nintendo is keeps cutting in grooves into the face buttons for their letters and after a a few hours of gameplay your fingers can really get irratated. Don't know about the triggers though.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 12:16:35 PM »
It might be because I have been playing video games since the NES, which had one of the least ergonomic controllers of all time, but controllers NEVER hurt my hand anymore.

Although I suppose I did bruise my thumb pretty good playing Bloody Roar: Primal Fury with a friend all night once.  That was really because I hadn't used the D-Pad in about 5 years though.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 12:24:53 PM »
I never had this problem.  Maybe you need a smaller controller?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 12:37:12 PM »
Actually, the left trigger used to really bother my hand playing Metroid Prime, due to all the quick strafing and locking on I'd do.  It was mostly the first knuckle of my left index finger that took the brunt of the abuse.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 12:44:36 PM »
I've had the same problem Rick has had with Metroid Prime.  Any discomfort with the triggers usually has to do with the resistance of the triggers themselves instead on anything like size or position.  Normally they work great but when developers try to use analog triggers as digital triggers then things start getting sore as you hold down the button.  I imagine the Xbox would have a similar problem.

So basically blame developers who design their games so that you have to hold down the triggers constantly.

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2003, 12:45:35 PM »

Originally posted by: AERO
The only trouble I've had with gamecube controllers is the face buttons. Nintendo is keeps cutting in grooves into the face buttons for their letters and after a a few hours of gameplay your fingers can really get irratated. Don't know about the triggers though.

Here I thought I was the only one!   Damn, I REALLY wish Nintendo got rid of those freakin groooves.   They're painful.

And I only find irritated with the L/R buttons if I have to use it a lot, like in Metroid Prime.  The fact that you have to use it a lot and then have to hold it made it even worse.  But if its just occasional it doesn't bother me one bit.   But those grooves again.... damn them.  Even those grip grooves on the joystick... their just too deep I tell you.

Offline Caster13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2003, 01:26:52 PM »
It's probably because there's a much stronger spring in the L and R trigger buttons that pushes back when pressed. That kind of pressure on a finger and the muscles around it could be too much for some people's hands.

Offline telaris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2003, 01:32:35 PM »
Yeah, ive had these problems most notably with metroid prime. Try the wireless controller, the shoulder buttons are alot better, and plus its wireless !

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2003, 01:43:15 PM »
The L and R buttons used to give me ALOT of trouble when I first got my Cube, I thought they were the most clumsy things in the world. Although I'm more than used to the slushy things now, they still cause a few nightmares in games that require the triggers to be slammed in all the way before they register..

Give me the Super NES's L and R buttons any day.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2003, 01:57:00 PM »
Heh, try the NES controller once in a while.  Don't poke holes through your hands.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2003, 01:57:51 PM »
Cubivore uses the triggers alot for running and targeting..after playing it ofr a few days my hands were kinda crippled...i get the same feeling Rick described for his metroid prime. On liy the first knuckle hurt...and it was in both hands left and right because it was cubivore and not metroid prime...i never got htis from metroid(though i never play for really long stretches) or Luigi's Mantion(2 shoulder heavy games) but cubivore definitely caused some discomfort..though that game rocks!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2003, 02:09:56 PM »
Ahh, yes, I believe I experienced the same thing with Cubivore.  I should get back to that.  I might understand more of the Japanese text now.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2003, 02:23:49 PM »
In Wrestlemani X8 my friend uses a really cheap trick- he'll constantly pin you or put you in submissions even when your character's in perfectly good condition. He does that because you press the L and R triggers a bunch to get out of the moves, and after a while, your fingers start to tire out from pressing the buttons so much, which makes it easier for him to actually pin you.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2003, 03:15:41 PM »
Serious?
The face buttons are irritating?

I think the L and R case depends on what action the developer maps onto it.
I have a small problem with the Z button. I don't have any problems reaching it, but just that pressing it doesn't feel like it's been pressed. It needs to be more like the face buttons.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2003, 04:25:02 PM »
i haven't had any problems with the controller other than finding the handles a wee bit short, extending them maybe 2-3 cms at the most would be perfect.
also i think playing metroid once i kinda had pains in my trigger knuckles (probably from cracking them too much ) but i haven't noticed it since

i should probably stop, my doctor says i have wrists of an 80 year old

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2003, 04:46:41 PM »
I think it not only depends on pressure, but the size of your fingers.  I have skinny, but long, fingers and I never had a serious problem with Metroid Prime.  Maybe once in a while, my knuckle would irritate me, but that would go away after a couple minutes.  

If you want pain, the NES controller is the way to go.  I think my right thumb will never heal from that injury that damn controller caused.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2003, 04:53:02 PM »
I've had similar problems when I first played REmake using the C button configuration.  It hurt like a mofo!
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2003, 04:55:15 PM »
I used to have a problem with games like metriod prime with the shoulder buttons, but then i noticed that i was pressing the shoulder buttons really hard.  Like, still pressing on them despite them being depressed the whole way.

I solved it by consciously trying to stop pressing so hard.  voila!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2003, 08:16:43 PM »
I couldn't feel my thumb-joints for a week after using a MS Sidewinder pad for half a day. The GC controller never gave me this!

Offline NintendoKiD

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2003, 09:13:06 PM »
The L and R button are sort of clunky and are hard to tap in some games. Is there another controller with L and R buttons sort of like the PS2? Nice and easy to push down and not so big, other then that I love the way the buttons are setup, except my friends say GC controller sucks.
Currently Playing

PS2 - Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, WWE Shut Your Mouth.

NES - Legend of Zelda, Alien 3

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2003, 09:41:50 PM »
good for your friend

mario party 1 = the most damaging game ever, you should have seen the 3 giant blisters caused from that game on my friends hand, it also wrecked 64 controllers, slacker than a yokels jaw