Author Topic: Big Mistake?  (Read 2774 times)

Offline NintendoKiD

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Big Mistake?
« on: May 16, 2003, 06:21:02 PM »
I just bought Animal Crossing for $50 over at GameStop. I chose it over The Sims even though The Sims looked way cooler, I thought AC would be much more fun. Now I realize all you do in this game is run errands. It gets boring fast! Now I dont know if I can get a full cash return, muchless have my parents drive me back (I can feel the lecture coming on "you make us spend $50 on a game you dont even like, now we have to go all the way there and all the way back blah blah blah") anyway, does this game ever pick up? Or is it one long errand running I have to make my house look cool because nobody comes in it wannabe life game.
Currently Playing

PS2 - Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, WWE Shut Your Mouth.

NES - Legend of Zelda, Alien 3

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Big Mistake?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 06:30:28 PM »
Most likely you won't be able to get a refund.  Nearly all retails have a "no returns on open items" except some EB's and Gamestop.

My guess either sell it online or you're better off trading it.

For selling use Ebay, and for trading use http://www.tradegamesnow.com .  The value isn't to hot on this item, given the fact that retailers had it on sale for $24 a while back (read my sam's club sales thread).

Word of advise for trading.   Try to get one with some feedback (10+ if you can), and double chech his address with the yellow pages.

:0

nullTradegamesnow  

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Big Mistake?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 06:56:48 PM »
Haven't played AC, but I used to have the Sims on PS2, and let me tell you. It's boring. REAL boring.

The new objective mode "Get a life" is sad, the objectives are nothing more than "clean the house", "fix the toilet", "get a raise"

BORING GARBAGE.

Plus its a whore with the memory card. If memory serves me right, the GC version needs like, 60 blocks or something...

Well, double it.
The game FORCES you to play "Get a life" mode, to unlock crap for your house in the free-run mode. That mode takes 60 blocks to save. The other mode (the free play, build your house from scratch, ala PC version) also takes another 60 or so blocks.

Mmmm, fun -_-

Offline Scyth3r

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Big Mistake?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 08:31:49 PM »
I don't know how Gamestop is, but I know EBGames lets you return an open game for full store credit (once per game).   I too bought Animal Corssing before, but returned it to the EBGames as I didn't like it much either.  I was in the same boat as you.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
Big Mistake?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 04:15:38 AM »
The point of Animal Crossing is collection, that's the POINT. If you dislike that, you'll dislike AC. Not everyone likes everygame, doesn't mean it's boring, you just dislike it.

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
Big Mistake?
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2003, 04:37:31 AM »
If you don't like running errands in Animal Crossing or other similar tasks, you won't like it. The whole point of doing this is to see how many different, unique items you can collect. If the items you obtain aren't worth the running errands to you, then you'd might as well get rid of it. After awhile, you may collects so many items that playing 2 or 3 days doesn't net you anything new. But on that 4th day you see something you've never seen before. Personally, I loved it for a good 5 months.

The Sims is cool too. I addicted to it right now. There are 2 modes to play...'Play the Sims' which is just like the PC version and 'Get a Life' in which you have to complete certain tasks. Completing these tasks opens up new items to buy in 'Play the Sims' mode. I think it's a lot of fun. However, I can see people not liking these games for various reasons. But for me, I'd just as well play games like AC and The Sims than Mario and Zelda.

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
Big Mistake?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2003, 04:40:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey

Plus its a whore with the memory card. If memory serves me right, the GC version needs like, 60 blocks or something...

Well, double it.
The game FORCES you to play "Get a life" mode, to unlock crap for your house in the free-run mode. That mode takes 60 blocks to save. The other mode (the free play, build your house from scratch, ala PC version) also takes another 60 or so blocks.

Mmmm, fun -_-

That's not accurate. I have the GC version and indeed it does take 60 blocks so you can't use a memory card 59 with it. However, it takes 60 blocks total to save both modes, not 120.  

Offline NintendoFanGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2003, 09:40:31 AM »
My opinion?  Get both.  I played AC for days (months) when I first got it.  Very addictive.  I more recently got The Sims and haven't been able to stop that game either.  If you have the money, buy both.  You can probably get a good deal on half.com or ebay.

Dina
Hey WhoDey!

Edit-Someone on half.com has it for $35.99.  That's $15 off retail.

Offline mojorizin

• View Profile
Big Mistake?
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2003, 11:05:43 AM »
As mentioned before, there are ways to "get back what you gave" in trade, but before doing that, I would avoid the same mistake by doing some research.  As it looks like you have a PC, there are hundreds of places, like this one for example, to make sure a game warrants a purchase.  Not sure, always rent first.  Nothing drives me crazier than taking one of my nephews to Blockbuster to rent or to a store on B-day/Christmas for them to pick out games.  I know going in they'll pick the worst schlock on the shelf and no amount of Uncle Mojo saying "hey, what about ----------?!?!" is going to dissuade them from the crap.  

Also, I know spending your parent's money is always easier than spending your own, but when in a situation where you can't buy games much on your own, MAXIMIZE what you have.  Unless its a special must-have game, you could likely have bought two games used for the same price.  Heck, I'm 36 and Good Wife Willing, can buy a game whenever the mood strikes.  But still, I waited for the price drop on Super Smash Brother, plus a sale, and bought SSBM, Eternal Darkness (pre-played) and RE for 48 bones.  Thats thrifty free-market stuff, my boy.  Parent Manipulation 101 Tip:  Talk them into the high priced game, then look puzzled and say:  WOW, instead of this, I could get both of these for the same price!  

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Big Mistake?
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 12:47:02 PM »
basically running errands is the whole game
i loved the game because it is just so different from other games- you do nothing and i have fun with that
basically i thought it picked up after you get your first couple of nintendo games- you just want to keep getting them
also- you can make your house bigger and add more things which add more to the game
i hope they make a new one- but thats what the game basically is
it isnt everyones cup of tea
i call the big one bitey.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2003, 01:37:25 PM »
SELL IT TO ME
i dearly want animal crossing, i would luff eet.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Big Mistake?
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2003, 02:27:21 PM »
i havnt ran errands in months..i just buy stuff for my house.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post