Author Topic: Thanks for nothing Nintendo!!!(Zelda 4 Swords)  (Read 8015 times)

Offline novastar512

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Thanks for nothing Nintendo!!!(Zelda 4 Swords)
« on: May 15, 2003, 08:03:11 PM »
Well, I have to say I am extremly displeased with Nintendo.  I sure everybody has heard of the new 4 swords game for the GC.  However, I can't believe that Nintendo is requiring a GBA for each person instead of a normal GC controller to play the game!!! That is the stupidest thing I HAVE EVERY HEARD!  Nintendo has just taken gimic devices to a new level.  I know, there are secrets when you go into rooms and stuff, but they have greatly decreased the amount of people who will buy the game.

I have quite a few friends but none of them have GBA.  Not only that but, you also have to have 2 GBA GC-link cables in order to hook up the GBA's.  This is INSANE. Nintendo has taken this scam of buying all of their devices to a whole new level.  I was OK with theE-reader and stuff, but common, I highly doubt most people have friends with other GBAs.  What happened to split screen? Sure it "spoils" the fun that they are trying to achieve, but it would be also more fun to play, if you could actually play with 4 people without needing 4 GBA.

I can't believe this is another Zelda game which I will not be able to experience(right after 4 swords for GBA, since I don't know anybody with it either).

Offline SatansNemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 08:15:04 PM »
I personaly think that it is an awesome idea that has a huge level of potential. I have one friend that has a GBA and I know hed buy the cable just to play this one, we already play the GBA frou swords. It may also convince a few other friends to buy GBA. Though I do agree with the problem of buying the link cables. either there needs to be a 4 player adapter that can plug in to the GC that works like the old SNES multi tap did for four player, or they need to offer it for free/cheaper. because my friends who might buy it may not want to spend the 10 bucks for the cable only for one game that they only get to play sometimes (aka need more games like this).
I eagerly await for the day I can have 3 friends over and we can stay up all night with pizza pepsi pringles and four player zelda. That would be cool.
What kind of Flame Warrior are You?<BR><a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html">http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html[/url]

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 08:43:52 PM »
I give you a 6/10 on that whine.

You have to realize the purpose of these games w/ link up capabilities is to get Gameboy owners (a MUCH huger user base) incentive to buy a Gamecube.  Not the other way around.   Yeah, it shafts GC only owners somewhat, but hey lifes not fair.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
RE: Thanks for nothing Nintendo!!!(Zelda 4 Swords)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 08:56:44 PM »
And its not Nintendo who is requiring the link, its Capcom. They are the ones who are making the game. (With Nintendo's blessings though.)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 09:42:04 PM »
Unlike Crystal Chronicles, where the GBA link up is nothing more than a gimmick, the GBA is integral to the strategy of the new Four Swords game.  Having other people unable to see what you're doing is pretty critical.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 09:47:10 PM »
I think Nintendo is taking this GBA-GC link idea WAY to seriously. Even the tingle tuner in Wind Waker is lame. Is this what we get instead of a DVD player?

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 09:57:15 PM »
I hope this game is a budget title.  If they expect you to have all that hardware I would hope they would give you a break on the game cost.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 10:09:16 PM »
People will complain about anything.  One of the big reasons about Four Swords on GC is so GBA owners won't all have to have the Four Swords cartridge.  That is a huge barrier to the multiplayer, and Nintendo has removed that for GBA owners by allowing them all to hook up to the GC without a cart.  And yes being able to hide your screen is integral to the gameplay.

As far as the link cables go, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo simply started including them with GBAs when these games start hitting the street.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 02:20:30 AM »
These games look very interesting, but since I don't have a GBA, I shan't be getting them.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 02:56:04 AM »
There's no way I'll buy a GBA and a billion link cables to play this, but.. Do you think Nintendo really expect us to? No.

This is for the people out there that have access to what's needed and want to use it just that little bit more. Nothing more, nothing less.
It's not as if these "games" are huge. They're piss small little multi-player things, most likely taking up 5 MB of disc space at the most. Not important. At all.

If Nintendo start doing this to larger games, then yeah. Complain then.
(And no, I don't count the new Pokemon Stadium game that needs a GBA hooked up, "big", it's yet another cheap, pointless turn based fighter)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 03:29:45 AM »
Guys, seriously, the game is NOT worth it- if you really want to play 4 Swords, buy A Link to the Past for the GBA and play it that way.

And this may be gimmicky, but the game's targeted at people who already own GBA's, not whiny bitches who, for some reason, refuse to acknowledge to many good games the GBA has.  :\
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 04:00:49 AM »
I must go look for that rant about microsoft trying to monopolize the gaming industry from someone around here and post it here. Just change a few words, or titles around.  

Offline Jedi Master Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2003, 04:18:47 AM »
Well, since there's many more people who own a GameBoy than those who own a GCN, I guess Nintendo assumes that everyone who owns a GCN owns a GB. The people who own a GCN without a GB are in the minority.
Check out the games I own!

Currently Playing:
1) Final Fantasy VIII - PSX

Jedi Master Yoda

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2003, 04:59:53 AM »
I can't wait for this game, because I loved 4 Swords on the GBA.  I hope to see a bunch of new dungeons, however.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling 4 Swords GCN will be packaged with Tetra's Trackers.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Nintendork SP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2003, 05:44:42 AM »
I think this is awsome, I have the equipment for my self and I have the friends to do it with.  WEEE I love Four Swords!
Going to war without France is like going fishing without an accordion.
-----------------------------------------------------
When I was I child I caught a fleeting glimpse.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2003, 05:45:41 AM »

Guys, seriously, the game is NOT worth it- if you really want to play 4 Swords, buy A Link to the Past for the GBA and play it that way.

You haven't played it.  It's absolutely worth it if you have a Cube and a GBA, and have friends with at least a GBA.  It's a simple game, but that doesn't mean that it's "not worth it".  It's probably one of the most fun games there is.  I'd rather play this than Mario Party, for sure.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2003, 05:47:38 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo is doing all this connectability stuff in order to incorporate the GB screen into the next console's controllers, sort of like the DC controllers but actually usable.

or if they do something like that for THIS console.  Still, they're accessory-based games, so I think Nintendo is aware that they won't sell as well as just a basic game.  I do think they're doing this mostly so developers know what their options are.  It's well known that most developers are followers, not innovators, so it's important for Nintendo to do little games like these if they want other companies to do GBA-GC things.

Offline godwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2003, 07:02:44 AM »
If this game costs $39.99+ I won't be getting it.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2003, 10:23:50 AM »
people, you don't have to get it.  did you really expect another full fledged zelda game for gc this soon?  nintendo had to have something up they're sleeve.  i love this idea of taking connectivity to a new level.  FFCC looks awsome, you don't think so?  if you don't have friends with a GBA or link cable, or don't have friends, don't get the game.  i hate people that say like "the ps2 has 100,000 games, not including ps1 games."  i 've said this before, i want you to play and beat all 6 billion of them, and then you can complain.  there are planty of other games to chooses from.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2003, 11:24:02 AM »
It would be awesome if Nintendo merged Tetra's Trackers and Four Swords into one Zelda game.  It would probably warrant a purchase from me and many other gamers.  As it is, I'm not buying either game.  I do not have three friends who have GBAs to play The Four Swords, so I doubt I'll ever buy it separately.  
However, Four Swords looks intriguing.  The premise of competing for rupees sounds intriguing.  The original for GBA had the same premise, and I hear nothing but good things regarding the game.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2003, 01:29:15 PM »
"It's not as if these 'games' are huge. They're piss small little multi-player things, most likely taking up 5 MB of disc space at the most. Not important. At all.  If Nintendo start doing this to larger games, then yeah. Complain then."

Yeah but even though these aren't "big" games they'll likely still cost the same as a normal game.  I'm also pretty sure that in Nintendo's eyes The 4 Swords is a big title.  They showed off Mario Kart ahead of time but this is wha they saved for the show.  That either means they're really dumb or in their minds The 4 Swords (and all the other connectivity games) is a big title.  Nintendo seriously thinks that the GBA/GC linkup stuff is a big deal.  Therefore The 4 Swords is a major title.

Offline Vanilla Thunder

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2003, 02:33:07 PM »
Well, this is HUGE title for me.  I have two gaming brothers and about a dozen gaming friends right down the street, each with a GBA and the cash to buy the rather inexpensive link-up cable.  We're all true Zelda fanatics through and through, and we're complete multiplayer whores.  With Four Swords, we'll be getting the best of both worlds; competitve and cooperative action in a nostalgic, highly stylized Zelda world, that you can explore big-time on the TV and secretly on the GBA screen.  For people like us, this is no small game, but a rather worthwhile one.  Games like this, coupled with some pizza and pop, equals fun all through the night, and judging from the very positive impressions the Four Swords is receiving, there's no doubt it'll be great fun.  I really want this game --- it's honestly impressed me more than most of the games at this year's E3, especially after seeing it in motion at Nintendo's E3 website.  

Nintendo, being able to afford any losses they may take on selling this game to a somewhat limited audience, is very justified in following this game through (though I can't say the same of Tetra's Trackers).  Those of you without a GBA in the first place should just go and pick one up --- they cost only a bit more then a GC game, they have the best library of titles, and they are the best gaming system Nintendo has delivered in a while.  Buy a GBA so you'll be able to enjoy Four Swords, and stop whining.
Craziest Nintendo Character Ever
Ludicolo, the giant, furry, Mexican duckbilled pineapple man with a lily pad sombrero!  Yet another reason to love Pokemon!

Offline SatansNemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2003, 08:35:12 PM »
Have any of you stopped to think that this could be the premise to a four swords 2 that has a huge epic adventure equal to or greater than the size of LTTP? since the GC can hold a butt load of stuff like that I believe that it is highly possible that they are making a huge epic 4-player zelda. everyone has to fight for rupees, grudgingly cooperate, create 'alliances', and whoever has the most rupees in the end get the girl! lol, you guys seem so negative about GC all of the time, are you sure some of you aren't IGN editors? j/k  
What kind of Flame Warrior are You?<BR><a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html">http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html[/url]

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2003, 01:46:01 AM »
Well, if this title is good enough, I'll serously consider buying a GBA and a link cable so I can play this with my friends. Its not like this game is the only game I'll use a GBA for, the E3 titles for the GBA are more impressive than the GC's!  
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Epitaph

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2003, 06:55:32 AM »
Nintendo should release one big game disc with all their 4 player gba games for gamecube. So you can play 4 players with only the disc intead of 4 catriges now that would be grand. Have mario kart, zelda 4 swords, etc... Would that be worth it to you, thats what I thought.

Maybe nintendo will include screens in their next controllers. Heck, what if the next gamebuy is so cheap they make it like a wavebird but you can take it with you and play mini games on it or something. Just have a slot in it for games. Maybe they will make gamecube 2's controllers backwards compatible with gba. The gba controller, basically the controller with a screen, or you can buy one just normal for 10$-20$ less or something.