Community Forums > Movies & TV

Rate the last TV show you've seen

<< < (965/966) > >>

oohhboy:
Checked when/what my last live TV show/series was. It was April and only 3 shows this year with nothing on the horizon this year. Ando, Mando, Avenue 5. Movie consumption isn't much better. Skipped Nolan, but fully intend to watch, as I was in the wrong country (dealing with 4 language streams is Not fun). How the mighty has fallen. Lots of great anime and games though.

Ando: A show we didn't need or asked for, but busted all expectations, justifying its existence and then some. Not because it's Star Wars, but because it's actually good. Would have been even stronger if we didn't know his ultimate fate, curse of the prequel.

Mando: Did not stick the landing. S3 falls apart hard as it throws away it's premise and lacking oh damn commentary like Herzog or Bill Burr. Felt unplanned, the reason we don't know, executive meddling, no expectation of S3, writers ran out of ideas, forgot what Mando is about. Doesn't matter, disappointing.

Avenue 5: Amazing show until the end. The entire cast is unique, simultaneously love to hate and loveable, which is quite the feat. What a shame, canned before it could reach a conclusion.

Question: What is the sequel to Loki? Quantum of something?

BlackNMild2k1:

--- Quote from: oohhboy on November 27, 2023, 10:15:32 PM ---Question: What is the sequel to Loki? Quantum of something?

--- End quote ---

you mean Ant-Man: Quantumania?

since it's the next appearance of a version of Kang the Conquerer?

Stratos:

--- Quote from: oohhboy on November 27, 2023, 10:15:32 PM ---Ando: A show we didn't need or asked for, but busted all expectations, justifying its existence and then some. Not because it's Star Wars, but because it's actually good. Would have been even stronger if we didn't know his ultimate fate, curse of the prequel.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I was floored by Andor. The end of the prison arc is one of two times I've felt a major positive emotion in SW for a long time. Its a shame the rest of SW couldn't be even half this good.

--- Quote from: oohhboy on November 27, 2023, 10:15:32 PM ---Mando: Did not stick the landing. S3 falls apart hard as it throws away it's premise and lacking oh damn commentary like Herzog or Bill Burr. Felt unplanned, the reason we don't know, executive meddling, no expectation of S3, writers ran out of ideas, forgot what Mando is about. Doesn't matter, disappointing.

--- End quote ---

Wife and I both did not enjoy S3. And we were fans of both previous seasons. We watched the "missing episodes" from Book of Boba Fett because after the Tuskens my wife wanted nothing to do with that show. I don't know if watching those back-to-back with S3 helped or made it worse. Both Grogu's arc, and pretty much everything involving Bo-Katan was not enjoyable. I'm still surprised that Disney opted to make Bo the leader/hero -- a literal terrorist that enabled Maul to take over Mandalore and lost the planet not once, not twice, but three times, with and without the Darksaber. It was like they were contractually obligated to include some things and hit some beats and the creatives were absolutely not all in on the direction.

--- Quote from: oohhboy on November 27, 2023, 10:15:32 PM ---Question: What is the sequel to Loki? Quantum of something?

--- End quote ---

Only halfway through Loki S2 and it really feels like its gotten the Agents of Shield treatment where its been quietly sidelined into not being relevant to the overarching story. Wife was not feeling it (as it has been for much of Phase 4/5 of the MCU outside exceptions like Guardians 3 and No Way Home).

If S2 takes place AFTER Quantumania, that just feels extra weak because of how Kang got defeated and trapped there. Maybe the ending will surprise me, but its been pretty predicable and basic so far. Also the whole "retro 50s Sci-Fi" aesthetic and halfhearted time traveling just doesn't feel that engaging. Felt like some weird episodes of Legends of Tomorrow, and not in a good way.

Maybe we were extra harsh on it because it has been so long since S1 and we forgot a lot of what happened, so we were scrambling to remember who was who from the side characters and how the universe worked. Did they have fake local money? Did they need to not mess with events too much? Who were those side agents that barely had screen time in S1 that now seemed overly important in S2? Just felt a little like it didn't get the memo from how things have been going in the greater MCU and should have come out much sooner after S1.

oohhboy:
Disney's output is wildly inconsistent. It's either excellent or dire. When it's terrible, you can't help but feel that some background drama or C-Suite MBA got its fingers into it. When it's good, whether they like Star Wars or whatever doesn't matter, you can see they actually like/pride their job on screen, not faking it on press panels (All of Star Trek).

I never watched the 'Extra' episodes of Mando, didn't get around to it and don't care enough. Bo-Katan wasn't the issue, it's a symptom. Mando had lost his agency and premise. A side character doing side quests, slice of life with guns. Something bigger caught him, and he couldn't get away. People constantly forcing the Dark Sabre on him is pretty funny meta symbolism, intentional or otherwise.

If they wanted him to engage in something bigger, it should have been his choice, his effort. The seasons long arc thread should have been playing keep away with Baby Yoda. Maybe once a season, the big bad shows up, big climax and they get away. Eventually he has to make a moral choice, does he keep his care free life, let a lot of completely unrelated to him people die/end their way of life (Don't always have to kill people) or finally end the threat(Doesn't have to be OUR big bad), with the friends he made along the way. No Mandalor, no dark troopers, just blowing up the big bad's base and erasing their existence from Imperial records. They could have made as many seasons as they wanted with that premise. But nah, everything has to be prestige TV, every episode with double-digit millions budget and plot lines.

---

So what is the timeline/watch order of Loki? I would like to see Kang resolved, but if Loki isn't involved, then what? This is a reason why I don't like Marvel/Disney, EVERYTHING has to be connected, important, minimum of one spin off and apocalyptic.

Stratos:
Don't worry, I finished Loki S2. They just quietly solve the issues in the show and the end comments about it in a way that could let them quietly cut off the Kang plot completely or redo it differently.

The time agency exists to hunt down Kang variants. there is a mention of how a "616 adjacent realm" dealt with a serious risk of a Kang insurgence, and any others popping up in the timelines would be dealt with.

I liked the theory that Mobius was actually a Thor variant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version