Author Topic: I hate console wars.  (Read 11054 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
I hate console wars.
« on: March 14, 2014, 09:55:33 PM »
I hate fanboys who ridicule others for buying a product that they don't like. Some people like Xbox, some like PlayStation, some like Nintendo. Why all the hate? What's the point of arguing about it and perpetuating this stupid "console war"?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:14:30 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: I hate console wars.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 10:31:09 PM »
what's the point of making a new topic on this matter.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:32:27 PM »
Might as well cancel your Internet then.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 01:21:26 AM »
People with no self-confidence need to convince themselves that they made the right purchase by convincing everyone around them that whatever they bought is the best. It's a sign of low self-esteem and a general disregard for logical thinking. Pay them no heed and take comfort in the fact that you are wiser than they ever will be :)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 02:43:42 AM »
The internet turns everything into a war. OS wars, Browser wars, Cola wars, Star wars...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 03:21:01 AM »
Man, those people who hate console wars are the worst. I can't stand them at all.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 05:37:47 AM »
I find it difficult to get angry about something as trivial as which video game console is better than another. I also don't get agitated by people engaging in 'console war' flaming, because, again, it's silly and not worth getting angry over. I don't hate the 'console wars' because I simply choose to ignore it.
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 06:11:30 AM »
...Cola wars, Star wars...
Are you trying to say that the Internet is the Late 80's?

I actually do miss the Cola Wars.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 10:43:49 AM »
Live RC Cola or Die!

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 02:25:36 PM »
People keep complaining about how the Xbox One is less powerful than the PS4.  Xbox 360 was less powerful than PS3 and it still sold great. PS2 was less powerful than the original Xbox and GameCube and it still sold great. So why are people complaining now about hardware power when that was never a deciding factor with previous consoles?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »
It's the combination of being more powerful and less expensive and launching at the same time. PS2 and 360 had a year's head start to build market share.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 02:47:09 PM »
I love the console wars, it makes things more exciting. It's easier to just simplify things and that is what most people want, to keep things as simple as possible. That is why they say arbitrary things like 3DO doesn't count as a game console or that a hard ware generation is set by a specific date rather than comparable technology. I hate the term hardware gen more than the console wars because nobody ever agrees on what a "generation" even is.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 03:20:58 PM »
People keep complaining about how the Xbox One is less powerful than the PS4.  Xbox 360 was less powerful than PS3 and it still sold great. PS2 was less powerful than the original Xbox and GameCube and it still sold great. So why are people complaining now about hardware power when that was never a deciding factor with previous consoles?
Because the Xbone sucks and the ps4 is 1000x better

But you see this is why you join the

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 06:21:08 PM »
...Cola wars, Star wars...
Are you trying to say that the Internet is the Late 80's?

I actually do miss the Cola Wars.

Looks like the two guys are trying to lift the guy on the left's massive dong.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 07:55:07 PM »
While I think there can be an entertainment value of watching people squabble over the console offerings, my sincere suggestion is to not worry about which is "better" if you've already make your purchasing decisions, and simply enjoy your games.  The console is just a delivery system for the games developers offer for them, and moving forward, the differences between them will probably become more and more negligible.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »
Does it really matter who has an early sales lead? It's way too soon to determine a "winner". Last gen everyone thought the PS3 was a failure, but then Sony released the PS3 Slim at a cheaper price and sales rebounded. All these fanboys should just be patient and buy the console they like.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »
Does it really matter who has an early sales lead? Does it really matter who leads in sales for a generation? No and no. What matters is if each system is delivering games that people can enjoy. The game of "Who Is Winning Sales" is great for immature and juvenile (ironic coming from the guy who just did the dong joke) arguments on message boards by people too emotionally invested in pieces of hardware. This just further cripples the industry from ever being taken seriously. You know when our supposed bastion of quality discussion for gaming is NeoGAF that it's no wonder why gaming is still laughed at by outsiders. Hell, insiders laugh. THAT'S the best we as an industry can do for discussion!?

Console wars are incredibly stupid. It's fine to root for the system you own to get sales, as that is usually what makes developers support a given system (well, not in the Wii's case, really). However, when one crosses the line into calling others names, trolling, and otherwise embarrassing behavior for any fully functioning adult over something like gaming and game consoles, then I have an issue. We should all want the companies that are doing positive things for gaming to do well. I see no intelligent reason to not want that.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »
Every generation it's the same damn thing.

"Xbox is best!"
"PlayStation is best!"
"Xbox is selling less so PlayStation automatically wins!"
"Xbots can keep their Gaylo and Tears of Whore! PlayStation has more variety."

See how juvenile it all is?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 09:05:36 PM »
Why did you even make this thread? Seriously.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 09:45:15 PM »

Obviously to see my thoughts on the subject.

Kidding, of course!  ;D

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 09:55:29 PM »
The sales of consoles and games have a tremendous effect on the future of the industry. It's ludicrous to argue they aren't important. Some people read way too much into them, and no one benefits when it's reduced to petty bitching and name-calling, but they do matter and they do have serious consequences.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 11:56:43 PM »
I ask the same thing about every other thread he makes

Eventually you learn to just have fun with it.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 02:51:02 AM »
Oh, but when I fucking say something, I get **** on. Whatever.

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 09:48:14 AM »
It's worse than movie that is for sure, but then again movies tend to have a universal delivery system that all can enjoy where as video games are a fractured market. Some people cringe at the idea of a single content delivery system for video games but I think if we had that all along it wouldn't be this way, the hardware would improve from time to time but if the industry could make the 3DO/Steam Machine/PS Now models actually work it wouldn't be this way. The reason for the console wars is because there are too many great games spread around to specific hardware.

With movies, an entertainment industry that gets taken seriously, pretty much all major films get at least a limited theatrical release followed by as many home video options as are available. There are some licensing issues for broadcast type services but home video and even cable still provide access to just about every major movie released.

It is not the same with video games, you have Atari making games so you have Mattel making games that are similar but slightly different than Atari and then Nintendo and Sega come along and do the same thing. Then Microsoft and Sony enter the mix and it's the same thing.

It is harder for a game to find it's audience when the experience changes depending on the hardware you have. With films the most change you get is going from SD to HD and FS to WS that's it, the core movie is generally the same. With video games, it's not at all like that, even a game as simple as Pac-Man can be entirely different when played on a system using a Joystick verses a Touch Stylus, vs a D-Pad and the changes are even more apparent when one version of a game can be missing entire segments of the game, such as is the case with Nintendo versions often features or content being missing.

There doesn't need to be a universal company that makes all game players but there should be a standard the three agree on and make their games cross compatible and then do as DVD manufacturers do, differentiate based on price and such, get more manufacturers into the mix and let the MS and Nintendo go software only Sony can spin off their software division to whomever wants it and the industry can unite and grow in a way similar to Hollywood.

NONE of that will ever happen and that is why we have the console war, because deep down it IS what we all want, to buy ONE machine that just plays all games, and since we can't have that we are forced to pick the "winner" because we assume it will get the best games.

STOP bringing up the Wii that is a special case and you know it, it was NOT the market leader between Xbox 360 and PS3 it was in it's own market even Nintendo admits that so deal with it, this whole side talk about how Wii was on top and it lacked support is utter garbage it had sufficient support for the MARKET it was in, it just didn't appeal to US because we were not the target market and bitching about the games that were made for it is stupid because those are the games that sold to that market. It is a different story it's not as cut and dry as three game machines one leads the market its different markets same as why the 3DS is not competing with the PS4 it is competing with the Vita and tablets different markets, like film and TV are different markets or DVD and iTunes.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:51:46 AM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 01:55:06 AM »
It's the combination of being more powerful and less expensive and launching at the same time. PS2 and 360 had a year's head start to build market share.

If you buy the camera and a $60 game with the PS4, the price equals that of the Xbox One.