Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572576 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2675 on: April 14, 2012, 02:34:53 PM »
Wii U having a docking cradle just makes sense, because not only could you charge the tablet easily, but also have it standing so you could use a Wiimote/Nunchuk combination at the same time...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: April 14, 2012, 05:23:40 PM »
Its a shame the Star Trek franchise isn't anywhere near as big of a deal right now as it was in the 1990s, because imagine what a Star Trek game could do with all of the function of the uMote. Remember how on Star Trek the away team always carried those awesome high tech Tricorders which could do anything? Well, if the Wii U had a Star Trek game then the uMote could be your Tricorder. Too bad its not very likely to happen, but the potential is there.
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: April 14, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »
If Draw Something doesn't get ported to WiiWare (and integrate with all of the other versions), then you don't even wanna know what I will do...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: April 14, 2012, 05:33:02 PM »
That would be awesome. My drawings would start looking like the actual things I'm drawing.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: April 14, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »
If Draw Something doesn't get ported to WiiWare (and integrate with all of the other versions), then you don't even wanna know what I will do...

YES! Also a Star Trek game would be amazing as well.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: April 15, 2012, 12:24:21 AM »
Isn't there a new Star Trek game being done to go along with the next movie?  It's more of an actiony shooter thing though. :(  An original game developed for the Wii U would be quite awesome.  Something more exploring or just adventurous would be nice.  So many things they could do with the tablet controller.  I guess that goes along with several games/franchises though.. So much promise, if only.. 

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: April 15, 2012, 12:44:15 AM »
Isn't there a new Star Trek game being done to go along with the next movie?  It's more of an actiony shooter thing though. :(  An original game developed for the Wii U would be quite awesome.  Something more exploring or just adventurous would be nice.  So many things they could do with the tablet controller.  I guess that goes along with several games/franchises though.. So much promise, if only.. 

Then again I thought Motion Controls would make for a really great Harry Potter game, and that sure didn't really manifest itself either in a good product. But maybe a daring developer will try something with Star Trek that utilizes the Wii U Controller.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: April 15, 2012, 02:35:25 AM »
Meh.

A real Star Trek game would be one where you captain a Starship shouting commands like a captain with non-twitch combat. On smaller ships like roundabouts, you use the Pad like a control panel which is also used to solve and fix engineering problems. It would be somewhat sandboxy with missions resolvable without violence when possible. Like delivering medical supplies shouldn't end in a firefight for no reason. Tactical ground combat should be pausable realtime command cover and movement based with rpg elements. Not Mass Effect. Mission morality should vary between making Picard speechs to Grey morality to In The Pale Moonlight.

So. Not. Happening.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: April 15, 2012, 04:24:08 AM »
It's a bit generous to call In The Pale Moonlight's morality grey, but other than that I'd like to play the game you described. Didn't Bridge Commander do something along those lines, albeit shipbound? I would love to play that game; I just wish it weren't tied up because of shifting licenses and could be had on Steam or GoG.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: April 15, 2012, 05:41:23 AM »
In the Pale Moonlight was black as hell. I should have made the sliding scale in that sentence clearer.  :cool; A handful of people were directly killed for the greater good, but the greater good meant even more people killed on a grand scale.

I know Bridge Commander exists, but it plays more like Freespace 2 while flying a bus instead of commanding a starship. There have been a lot of tech and gameplay development it would really benefit from since it was made. Speech recognition has really improved enough to make basic commands reliable. Power and AI improvements mean can have more better crewmen and fleet control.

There is a game called StarFarer. It's not complete yet, but it has some very intelligent AI with battles with broad game plan you issue to the fleet as a whole. You can miromange a little, but the command cap and the fact the AI does better without it means macro is much better. It has a lot that a Star Trek game could learn from.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: April 15, 2012, 06:43:55 AM »
"SINGULUS TECHNOLOGIES is a global manufacturer of CD/DVD/BluRay replication systems"

http://www.singulus.de/uploads/media/2012_Singulus_bpk_01.pdf

Just incase anyone was doubting that the Wii U was using a Blu ray drive.
Hopefully the option to purchase Bluray movie playback licensing is in the eShop though.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: April 15, 2012, 07:57:45 AM »
"SINGULUS TECHNOLOGIES is a global manufacturer of CD/DVD/BluRay replication systems"

Hopefully the option to purchase Bluray movie playback licensing is in the eShop though.

BlackNMild I posted that 2 days ago. Looks like you Caterkiller'd yourself!

I'd like to see an F-Zero with heavy physics simulation and gravity effects a la Mario Galaxy.

Ok this is an example I can get behind.
Oh yeah Blue Ray for Wii U...

See?  ::)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:01:33 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2687 on: April 15, 2012, 08:53:35 AM »
A new Star Trek game would be great...but the problem is, the current Market won't make a good Star Trek game.  At most they will make an action game in the Star Trek universe. 

To me the best Star Trek game I played was the old Star Trek point and click adventure game.  I think any new Star Trek needs to be more about the characters and adventure and less about action...although action should be in the game, the emphasis should be on puzzle mechanics, mystery, adventure, story, and characters. 

The Wii U is the best console for the game, and the touch pad would be a great way of representing many aspects of the ship and Star Trek universe.  I would love to see a game that gives you a Crew, and this Crew is thrown (like Voyager) several galaxies away from the Federation...and you have to get back in one piece.  You have to take care of your core crew members, because if they die, they die for good.  Otherwise, you promote officers into different positions, and they may have to be trained to do actions better.  Away Team management is very important...and it might be wise to carry a few "red shirts" for fodder. 

But, yeah this game could be awesome...if done right. 

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: April 15, 2012, 09:17:21 AM »
Yeah, Star Trek 25th Anniversary is only one of 2 Star Trek games that are truly fun. The other one was Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. Set Phasers to Frag indeed.

Star trek games have a nasty habit of getting shoe horned into whatever action game flavour of the year might be. Like the TNG movies always leans generic action. I am not sure that any large publisher is even capable of making a good Star Trek game, they just don't have the correct mindset. If they made one now it would just be a Mass Effect knock off.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: April 15, 2012, 10:25:23 AM »
Honestly, I think we've just really gotten to the Tech that could do a Star Trek game real justice.  I've been Rewatching the series in Reverse Chrononlogical Order (Enterprise ->Star Trek, I'm on Voyager right now.)  What makes a good Star Trek Episodes really amount to the character Interaction and Problem solving.  In a weird way it be like a Dating Sim and a Layton game mixed together with some problems being solved by force.  To do it really right you have to make a new show.  It be Star Trek but it wouldn't be any of the known ones because you need the character interaction to grow.  You could even set it in some of the expanded universe.  Captain of a Repair Ship could be interesting.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: April 15, 2012, 12:00:02 PM »
BlackNMild I posted that 2 days ago. Looks like you Caterkiller'd yourself!

I'd like to see an F-Zero with heavy physics simulation and gravity effects a la Mario Galaxy.

Ok this is an example I can get behind.
Oh yeah Blue Ray for Wii U...

See?  ::)

I guess, but in my defense, you dropped it in as part of a response to something else and didn't really say what it was. It's very easy to skip over a link that has no real description.

When you do it, it's after I made it very hard to miss, usually with a relevant quote or pic from the link, sometimes with bolding and lots of time with a headline and a post title.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: April 15, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »
Nah i'm just kidding, I edited a random post to include your link. I don't know if this link existed 2 days ago. Hahaha.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: April 15, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »

The Wii U won't have a standard Blu-ray drive. The discs used by the Wii U are custom made, like the GameCube and Wii discs.

So that leaves Xbox 720 (and of course PS4) as the only consoles with actual Blu-ray drives.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: April 15, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »
The Wii U won't have a standard Blu-ray drive. The discs used by the Wii U are custom made, like the GameCube and Wii discs.

They are not custom made. They are blu-ray discs which have been modified, just like the Gamecbue and Wii discs were modified DVD discs. When you say "custom made" you are suggesting its made completely from scratch, and that's simply not true.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:47:53 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: April 15, 2012, 06:10:29 PM »
Damn double-post.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:18:08 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: April 15, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »

They are not custom made. They are blu-ray discs which have been modified, just like the Gamecbue and Wii discs were modified DVD discs. When you say "custom made" you are suggesting its made completely from scratch, and that's simply not true.

Well GameCube discs are just Minidiscs, not DVD's.

The PSP's UMD's are custom-made (since no other product uses UMD's). Were the PS1's black CD's custom made? What about the Dreamcast's GD-ROM discs?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:17:37 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: April 15, 2012, 06:25:13 PM »

The Gamecube used modified mini-DVDs.

Minidiscs were a completely unrelated and relatively obscure recordable media format which competed with audio cds back in the 90s. AFAIK they are no longer made or sold. No video game console has ever used them.

This is what a Mini-disc looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Memorex-minidisc.jpg

The PSP's UMD's are custom-made (since no other product uses UMD's). Were the PS1's black CD's custom made? What about the Dreamcast's GD-ROM discs?

The PS1 and I think the Dreamcast just used standard CDs, or a modified form thereof. The PSP's UMD format is custom made, though. As you said no other device supported it, and likely never will now that Sony has kicked it to the curb.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:31:16 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: April 15, 2012, 06:34:11 PM »

The Gamecube used modified mini-DVDs.

Minidiscs were a completely unrelated and relatively obscure recordable media format which competed with audio cds back in the 90s. AFAIK they are no longer made or sold. No video game console has ever used them.

This is what a Mini-disc looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Memorex-minidisc.jpg

The PS1 and I think the Dreamcast just used standard CDs, or a modified form thereof. The PSP's UMD format is custom made, though. As you said no other device supported it, and likely never will now that Sony has kicked it to the curb.

PS1 CDs were definitely modified, since they were black. Dreamcast used a proprietary GD-ROM disc.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: April 15, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
PS1 CDs were definitely modified, since they were black.

A purely cosmetic modification.
is your sanity...

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: April 15, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »
I don't know who to root for...
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.