Author Topic: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors  (Read 17695 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 07:02:01 PM »
I can get it cheaper other places.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »
Do these places have websites that ship north of the 49th parallel without bending over for customs fees?

I'm looking at $49 for it after shipping otherwise... and I'm gonna be glad to pay it, by the sound of it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »
The websites don't determine custom fees, your country does. All the website does is decide if they will pay the costs for you.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 07:58:26 PM »
Do these places have websites that ship north of the 49th parallel without bending over for customs fees?

I'm looking at $49 for it after shipping otherwise... and I'm gonna be glad to pay it, by the sound of it.
Where do you live?

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 07:12:33 PM »
For anyone on the fence: The 8/24 Amazon Gold Box is 999 for $20.99

Crudly!  I was waiting for something like that, and I missed it.  It normally hovers around $30 on Amazon.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
I picked this up during Black Friday week when Amazon had it on sale.  Just finished my second play through, the game lives up to its hype and then some, the story is great, the mood is amazing, and the puzzles are very well done.  I could have done without some of the excessive description and violence at times but overall the game is amazing.  I think I'm going to play through one more time without a guide then use a guide to get to the remaining endings.

For anyone who hasn't played this game yet, you need to, it's everything people say it is.

Are there any other games out there that are similar (branched story with multiple endings, heavy on the story, maybe with similar types of puzzles, not necessarily with a violent story) to 999?  I've played Hotel Dusk and the Phoenix Wright games and while I really enjoyed them, having a branching story where your decisions impacted the story instead of just following the story as it progressed was really interesting.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 11:49:26 AM »
I think Hotel Dusk does have multiple endings that are affected by your decisions, but it's not nearly as extensive as 999 in that way. I can't think of any other games that do what 999 does, except possibly some old Infocom text adventures.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »

Are there any other games out there that are similar (branched story with multiple endings, heavy on the story, maybe with similar types of puzzles, not necessarily with a violent story) to 999?

Heavy Rain, although I was not at all impressed with the final product. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is also an option if you're looking for a depressant.

Alpha Protocol is also an option if you're looking for a more action-oriented game. It's a flawed game, but I admire its willingness to let the player do a number on the story, to the point where there are at least two different possible final bosses, and I've heard it's possible for your choices to end with all but one major character dying at various points in the story.

Offline rlse9

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 08:37:01 PM »
I didn't know there were multiple endings to Hotel Dusk, I managed to get "Game Over" a couple times for making the wrong choices a couple times but I thought the game only had one ending.

I just finished my third play through of 999.  This time through the puzzles got a little bit irritating but the story has gotten more and more intriguing.  I've gotten three endings, all different and all bad.  Going to play through it one last time and get the true ending then I think I'll be done with this game.  But it's been a blast to play through and I'm looking forward to seeing how the story gets tied together.

Offline rlse9

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »
I finished 999 a couple days ago, ending up doing two more play throughs since you need to get the safe ending before getting the true ending.  I was surprised how long the ending of the game was, I figured it would take a while to tie everything together but they story just kept going and going.  I was impressed by how almost everything in the story was all tied together so well at the end.  I agree with what others said, if you haven't gotten the true ending you haven't finished the game, not even close.  This game may have been my favorite experience on the DS, previously it was either Hotel Dusk or Elite Beat Agents but I think this tops it.

I was happy that they added a little more to the story after the credits, when the credits started I was disappointed by how they left the story unfinished but the post-credits story satisfied most of my questions.  The one thing that still didn't completely make sense to me that they didn't really answer was why Lotus was there instead of her daughter who was in the first game.  Everyone else being there was well tied in.  I also completed missed that the woman along side the road at the very end was supposed to be Alice, I thought it was a young Lotus, which didn't quite make sense either.  The scene with June and Junpei in front of the elevator where he thinks she's worried about being in the elevator alone with him was hilarious.  I thought having the sudoku puzzle at the end was good, the last thing I wanted at that point was a puzzle I'd get stuck on.  The only other complaint I had was once I got to the point that I used a guide I realized how few of your decisions actually affect what happens in the game, when you're playing it before using a guide the choices you make seem so much more important.  But overall a brilliant game.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »
It's so so good. I really hope that developer makes another game like that for 3DS that is also released here in West. Audio Visual Novels are the best ;D
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 01:19:09 PM »
My personal favorite moment from that last puzzle is how the developers revealed, without a single word and in only a few seconds, how for the entire game up to that moment we've been playing as young June, and simply observing Junpei. It's a small thing, but the execution was so perfect that I can't help but admire how it was done.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2012, 02:54:40 PM »
It's so so good. I really hope that developer makes another game like that for 3DS that is also released here in West. Audio Visual Novels are the best ;D

And Aksys better localize it if they know what's good for them!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline rlse9

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »
That's an interesting looking group of characters.  Hopefully 999 was successful enough for them to bring the sequel here.