Author Topic: Where is all the 3rd Party support for Nintendo consoles?  (Read 15153 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Where is all the 3rd Party support for Nintendo consoles?
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 09:37:45 PM »
This month will be extremely busy for WiiWare. Q3 is July-September. So assuming they don't delay any, we should be getting the following WiiWare games the rest of this month:

Bit.Trip Void
Ghost Mansion Party
Carnival King
Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth
Moki Moki
Cave Story
You, Me, and the Cubes
Arkanoid Plus!
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 3: Lair of the Leviathan

I can't wait for The Oregon Trail. I loved that game when I was in elementary school.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 10:04:22 PM »
In this case I mean the mantra from the perspective of Nintendo fans instead of Nintendo themselves.  When Nintendo was pushing the "quality over quantity" line (which was all PR spin anyway) many Nintendo fans emphasized this when the comparison of the amount of games between a Nintendo console and a competitor came up.  So for a Nintendo fan to just dump a big list of games, quality be damned, as a defense against criticism of poor Wii third party support it's a major contridiction of the attitude that so many Nintendo fans had for so many years.  If quality over quantity was important to us then why is not so important now?

Could you please check your calender?  It's not 1997 anymore.  Even if it was the mantra of Nintendo fans back then it doesn't mean it is true now nor does it mean it's BlacknMild's.  And are you the Nintendo fan police now?

But it doesn't come across that they really care as long as Wii's fly off shelves.

I'm sure they do care that third parties make garbage.  It's just every time they've tried to corral third party quality it backfired.  NES restrictions, SNES restrictions, N64 being late and West-focused, GC not having enough userbase and moneyed third party support blowing up in their face.  The best way really is to make good games that sell well in competition to these third parties and so far it's worked like a charm (Like on the DS).  Their games sell well, the Wiis fly off shelves, and the terrible third party games don't.  Something in the top 12 games for the Wii are all published by Nintendo, with the exception of Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, which is actually Sega's (Their highest selling game ever).  And most of the high sellers are dominated by Nintendo software.  It's pretty clear most Wii owners buy Nintendo's games, which is to be expected because they make the best games for the system, and no third party has even come close to challenging that.

Heck half the people in this thread say that Mario is the only "sure buy."  Why is that?  Because Nintendo has a reputation of making excellent games, a reputation built over 25 years.  A few of the ones that show promise might do well, but most of these games aren't going to do well, ironically and particularly ones targeting the "Wii demographic."  Why isn't this an issue for third parties?  Why don't they try to compete with Nintendo with their best stuff?  And if they don't care, why should Nintendo care FOR them?

Well Nintendo decided to change their target market.  They're the market leader of the casual games market, a market they win by default by being the only competitor.  The market leader of the old console market is Microsoft and they are getting the bulk of the third party support for the old videogame market.  The Wii gets the bulk of the casual game market third party support.

There are too many anomalies with this to be effectively true.  The #1 best-selling fighting of all time is SSBB, and it's on Wii.  Why are they consciously avoiding the Wii for fighters?  The #1 racing game of all time is Mario Kart Wii.  Why aren't there more racing games of different types?  And, this one for Japan, the #1 selling third party "core" game of any type is Monster Hunter 3, a Wii exclusive (for now *grrCapcomgrr*).  And furthermore, most of the "casual games" that DS and Wii owners apparently want nothing but, flop HARD and LONG.  so then why this myth of "casual Nintendo?"  And if it's so clear cut, how come most of Nintendo's core series have sold more under Wii and DS than under GC and GBA?

I just have to disagree with the "segmented" market theory.  There's just not enough evidence to support it beyond bitter developer's sour grapes, slanted editorials, and forum rantings.

This is the only logical explaination I can think of as to why third parties appear to treat the Wii so poorly.

I have an alternate theory.  Third parties are Kanye West and Wii is Taylor Swift.  They're angry that their choice didn't win.

I think the Wii and the other consoles are close enough in what they provide that the Wii should still be the de facto choice.  I disagree with most third parties but I can understand why they would use this logic.  They may not see that big amount of Wii users as potential buyers for the type of product they make for the old market.

But then again, core games have sold really great on Wii.  Particularly Nintendo's, but that goes with being a legendary and talented developer.  If they can't see this, then they are either stupid or hate the Wii, both of which have more evidence than "Wii gamers are a bunch of casuals.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 10:11:13 PM »
Hence,

3rd Excuse Makers really live up to this name.
^^^^^^^^^^^
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 12:52:13 AM »
What I like about the Wii lineup is that we are seeing a resurgence of classic 2D gaming, Muramasa, NSMB: Wii, and Boy and his Blob. Are many of the games big budget? Well I'd say Dead Space is along with Silent Hill, but really that shouldn't dictate what makes a good game, Rabbids Go Home looks like a quirky platformer (something we hardly see anymore), JU On is a unique twist on the horror genre, so is Silent Hill, and Spyborgs is looking pretty good as well. It is a breath of fresh air from the shooters dominating the other systems, I'm burned out on the CoD series, one I've been with before it became extremely mainstream, not to mention most action shooters in general.

As a fan of Bioware I am anticipating their Dragon's Age, which I'll get for the PC, beyond that though I'm not sure what I really want on the other systems this year, maybe Assassin's Creed 2 but that is it. Does that make the action games on the 360/PS3 bad? No but frankly I'm burnt out on them, the Wii is offering me some compelling and diverse 3rd party software this holiday season, there are a couple bigger budget games and there are several games like A Boy and his Blob that is beautiful to look at and shows promise from early previews.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:56:20 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 02:17:58 AM »
I wouldn't consider crapping a game onto a system "3rd party support". There are some gems to be had here, but for the most part it's the typical shitware that Wii get.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 10:02:52 AM »
If quality over quantity was important to us then why is not so important now?

Still is, thats why WE don't buy crap like Petz or Imagine; Babiez Party. Remember WE are the Nintendo fans you're talking about, the people that DO buy up low quality shovelware aren't Nintendo fans per-say, they're new market mini-game fans, ie. TEH CASUALZ

This is the only logical explaination I can think of as to why third parties appear to treat the Wii so poorly.

I have an alternate theory.  Third parties are Kanye West and Wii is Taylor Swift.  They're angry that their choice didn't win.

Deg wins.

I wouldn't consider crapping a game onto a system "3rd party support". There are some gems to be had here, but for the most part it's the typical shitware that a market leading console gets

Fixed.

No ones arguing against the fact that, as market leader, Nintendo deserves BETTER support than what they're getting, because we all agree they do. However, the argument is AGAINST claims that "there's no good games on wii". Don't even try that AAA caliber, "game of the year" bullshit with me either because one look at the "PATHETIC state of gaming 'Media'" thread proves one thing:

The people behind the hype are incompotent morons who'll wear moneyhats like its going outta fashion and not only get hard-ons but blow their load for all things HD. If a game isn't BOOM BOOM POW KABLOOEY BROWN CINEMA SCENE AFTER CINEMA SCENE or "bigger and better" than previous efforts, theres no chance in hell they're going to given a 10/10 (which is really like a 3/3 since those games never seem to get under a 7 even when they're garbage). Everyones mindset now, thanks to Sony and the PS1 era (if you ask me), is games HAVE to be prettier and shinier and HAVE to turn in to movies and its sickening. Unless a game is a michael bay everything-must-explode-knock-off, it doesn't have a chance to ever win game of the year. That doesn't mean that just because Wii doesn't have these shiny and brown games that are more like movies, that it doesn't have great games cuz it does and my wallet can tell you that much.

I'm really getting tired of this stupid rhetoric. Just because a band isn't tearing up the Billboard charts doesn't mean they're not good, right Ian? So what makes games any different? All you seem to care about is tripe-A this and game of the year that, but who gives a **** cuz some times those games aren't even that great to begin with! I'm looking at you MGS4.

Bullshit.

*Click here for an image that perfectly sums up how ignorant people are*
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 10:23:57 AM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »

That just doesn't make sense.  Are these big companies honestly going to sit around the boardroom table and agree to not support the Wii, and thus risk losing big money, because they hate Nintendo or they don't want to admit they're wrong?  Maybe some companies would do this, and some of the guys on top may let personal feelings affect their decisions, but ALL of them?  Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but they're big corporations that want to make money.  I would assume their decision to treat the Wii the way they do would involve some sort of business related decision, one that we may disagree with, but one nonetheless.

Just because a band isn't tearing up the Billboard charts doesn't mean they're not good, right Ian? So what makes games any different?

The Wii is the mainstream act tearing up the Billboard charts.  Tons of people here make fun of how games that are critically acclaimed on the other consoles don't sell very well and when it comes to non-games that get crapped on by critics they point to sales.  Any time I complain about how the blue ocean market sucks and is ruining gaming and Nintendo isn't as good as they used to be because they target this group I get all sorts of "This is what the public wants.  Nintendo had to do this to make a profit.  Money, money, money, profit, profit, profit."  Half this forum acts like they're Nintendo shareholders.  The Wii ____ series is Nintendo's mainstream pandering power ballad.  Nintendo is not some underground indie band, they're the number one band in the world selling out football stadiums.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
No ones arguing against the fact that, as market leader, Nintendo deserves BETTER support than what they're getting, because we all agree they do. However, the argument is AGAINST claims that "there's no good games on wii". Don't even try that AAA caliber, "game of the year" bullshit with me either because one look at the "PATHETIC state of gaming 'Media'" thread proves one thing:

Exactly, even though there are some promising 3rd party games coming out this year, games I'm interested in far more then most of the big budget HD games coming out. Take for example Little Kings Story, a FANTASTIC game, one of my favorites of the year, it isn't a big budget game nor is it going to get ridiculous over inflated scores but it is a brilliant game. The fact is that if people would stop complaining, or tone it down and actually play the games already out or coming out that are quality titles, they may realize that even though things are slower then they should, there is still more then enough to eat up gaming hours.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 02:40:41 PM »
That just doesn't make sense.  Are these big companies honestly going to sit around the boardroom table and agree to not support the Wii, and thus risk losing big money, because they hate Nintendo or they don't want to admit they're wrong?  Maybe some companies would do this, and some of the guys on top may let personal feelings affect their decisions, but ALL of them?  Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but they're big corporations that want to make money.  I would assume their decision to treat the Wii the way they do would involve some sort of business related decision, one that we may disagree with, but one nonetheless.

"OH NOES the Wii is unlike ANYTHING before, we cannot POSSIBLY sell regular games on there so let's make shovelware for it and make the big blockbusters that we have routine with for the consoles that don't require doing anything different."

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »
EasyCure it's statements like that, that I would probably copy word for word and use it on my friends. Told you, you had some as well!

IanSane I am wondering the same thing about how developers are making their decisions. But if we think back to say Square and Nintendo's relationship, wasn't it just hard feelings that kept them apart? I would not be surprised if some head honcho at a board room table is actually just reluctant to support Nintendo for personal reasons.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »

It makes more sense than you'd think.

Wasn't it Ubisoft who was using Wii game sales to fund their AAA list games on other consoles? What the hell does THAT tell you?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 03:30:11 PM »

Most of them have probably convinced themselves that you can't make money selling games on a Nintendo platform unless you're Nintendo.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 03:35:39 PM »

It makes more sense than you'd think.

Wasn't it Ubisoft who was using Wii game sales to fund their AAA list games on other consoles? What the hell does THAT tell you?

That is makes even less sense than previously thought.

"We need to make HD games!"
"But they cost too much and we don't even come close to making our money back half the time"
"Well, we make plenty of money off of Wii games.... just use those profits"
"Are gonna port the HD game to the Wii too so that we can continue to make profits off of the games?"
"LOL no. Wii owners don't want real games. They just want real gamez."

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 03:51:53 PM »
Ian: I was referring to strictly software and the value offered by it. I wasn't talking about hardware, and I wasn't talking about sales. Critically acclaimed games should theoretically offer the most value for your buck because they're supposed to be must haves but they aren't always. Top artists on the pop charts are supposed to be the most mainstream and most appealing, but I can bet you at least half the forum here doesn't listen to Beyonce's bootylicious tracks (It's probably Plugabugz and that's it). I'm trying to tell you that a game doesn't have to get perfect scores in a review score to be good, but I guess that doesn't mean anything to you since you bent my quote so outta shape just to throw your point in there.

To try and make my point, again, even if you ignore it: A game doesn't have to be those critically acclaimed ones you seek on other consoles. You ignore many many great games in the wii library just because they're:

-ports (you might not have played before as a Nintendo only owner)

-sequels (even if you played the previous instalments the previous gen)

-spinoffs (even if they're high quality games in their own right)

-niche genres (which you'll never know you love until you try them...)

-they get less than stellar reviews by blatantly biased media (even though YOUR opinion is the only one that matters)

and it saddens me as a fellow gamer that you'll miss out on some really good and original games. It really does.. but I can't stay sad too long. I've got a shitload of wii games at home that need to be finished and plenty more I've yet to buy, and no not counting ones that aren't released yet.

Hope the grass really is greener.

1A EasyCure it's statements like that, that I would probably copy word for word and use it on my friends. Told you, you had some as well!

2A IanSane I am wondering the same thing about how developers are making their decisions. But if we think back to say Square and Nintendo relationship, wasn't it just hard feelings that kept them apart? I would not be surprised if some head honcho at a board room table is actually just reluctant to support Nintendo for personal reasons.

1B Thanks, guess you're right but moments like this, when I'm being serious, are far and few between. Besides, I hardly ever get my post directly replied to or quoted, so its hard to gauge when I make a good point. Recognition FTW! Ego-boost FTL =(

2B I can see that being the case with old-fogey Japanese CEO's who are too stuck in their old ways and would rather commit seppiku (sp?) than dishonor themselves and admit defeat/go back on their word. Hell I can see it with big bosses in the West too because they all think they're hot shot cowboys, etc. Hell how many HD only dev-houses have gone belly up because their games tanked (and didn't release funnel-ware* on wii)?

*new term I'm coining that describes games of any quality that are made for wii simply as a means to funnel profit from it into HD development. You're welcome.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
"and it saddens me as a fellow gamer"

It saddens me you've mistaken Ian for a gamer.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 04:23:01 PM »
"and it saddens me as a fellow gamer"

It saddens me you've mistaken Ian for a gamer.

Ouch. So what 3rd party games for Wii are you guys interested in that you will most likely get?

I'm getting Silent Hill and a Boy and his blob for sure. Games I may get are Dead Space, RE, Ju On, and maybe TMNT: Smash Up.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 04:40:45 PM »
RE (co-op), Ju-On (take turns as a group), Silent Hill (take turns as a group), Mario (co-op platformer), FFCC Crystal Bearers (solo adventure), Where's Waldo (LOL??), Rabbids Go Home (certified LOL), and Nyx Quest (solo platformer); that should cover the remainder of my calendar year.

I'm close to finishing Cursed Mountain and I bought Muramasa this past Monday.  Deadly Creatures, MadWorld, Conduit, Rune Factory, Little King's Story, Overlord, Onee-chanbara, Lost Winds, Sin & Punishment, Shaun White, Boom Bloxes, Trauma Centers, Punch Out, Kororinpa, House Overkill (replay), De Blob, and Mercury Meltdown are on my backburner.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
So what 3rd party games for Wii are you guys interested in that you will most likely get?
I probably won't be getting any for a while, because there are a lot of games already released which I'm still looking to get.

That Rabbids Go Home game looks like it could be pretty fun. Ubisoft used to make platformers, back before the Rayman series turned into the Raving Rabbids series. I've not played any of the Rayman platformers but I've heard nothing but good things about them. A Boy and His Blob looks like it may be interesting as well, and I may also get Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics because the first game was alright.

There might be a few other things I'd consider getting at some point.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 06:45:33 PM »
IanSane I am wondering the same thing about how developers are making their decisions. But if we think back to say Square and Nintendo's relationship, wasn't it just hard feelings that kept them apart? I would not be surprised if some head honcho at a board room table is actually just reluctant to support Nintendo for personal reasons.

In Square's case I thought was as simple as Square wanting to having ambitious ideas for their games that would be too expensive to do on a cartridge format.  Considering how successful Final Fantasy VII was that was a pretty smart move.

Ian: I was referring to strictly software and the value offered by it. I wasn't talking about hardware, and I wasn't talking about sales. Critically acclaimed games should theoretically offer the most value for your buck because they're supposed to be must haves but they aren't always. Top artists on the pop charts are supposed to be the most mainstream and most appealing, but I can bet you at least half the forum here doesn't listen to Beyonce's bootylicious tracks (It's probably Plugabugz and that's it). I'm trying to tell you that a game doesn't have to get perfect scores in a review score to be good, but I guess that doesn't mean anything to you since you bent my quote so outta shape just to throw your point in there.

In, well, EVERYTHING in entertainment, critical acclaim often has more credibility than commercial success.  Yet in videogames we see the opposite?  The analogy just doesn't make sense to me.  The people I meet in life who say "critics don't know anything" usually use that arguement to defend their embarrasingly lowbrow tastes.  It's the person who listens to Lady Gaga, watches America's Got Talent, and wonders why their favourite CGI infested blockbuster isn't nominated for best picture.  And these videogame critics were right when they heaped huge praise on Nintendo's N64 and Gamecube games but wrong now?  The same critics that are correct in giving Super Mario Galaxy an amazing 97.28% average score are biased or off their rocker when they give other Wii games low scores?

Not every game that gets high scores is going to appeal to you.  Sometimes a game is vastly overrated or underrated.  But these are typically exceptions and before the Wii came out critical acclaim and Nintendo were hand in hand.  Usually this was used as a defense from Nintendo fans (including myself) that despite the Cube's low sales and general unpopularity it was not inferior.  There was almost an elitist attitude with Nintendo fans, like we only wanted the best and the high review scores Nintendo games got were all part of that.  It just seems that now that critical acclaim isn't on Nintendo's side that it's quickly rejected.

I don't see the bias.  I see some games that sound boring to me, like Call of Duty, getting high review scores and the odd niche game that I love but understand most of the world wouldn't, like Fire Pro Wrestling, getting low review scores.  But that is just going to happen and I'm not bothered by it.  The best Wii games, get favourable reviews, just like it has always been with Nintendo games.  I trust critics more than I trust the mainstream public and die hard fans.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 07:06:44 PM »
Ian dian do yourself a favor:

STFU, go out and buy a videogame for ANY system you own and don't base your purchase on a review, just play the thing and see if you have fun.

You might be surprised how much joy you can get out of a game rated 7.5 outta 10

I'm done with you.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2009, 07:17:31 PM »
STFU, go out and buy a videogame for ANY system you own and don't base your purchase on a review, just play the thing and see if you have fun.

So I should just drop $30-60 willy-nilly without any research in a shotgun approach and hope that I don't waste my money and find a game I love?  Should I do this on iTunes as well and just rent movies at random from Blockbuster?  No, I'm not going to do that because I'm not an idiot.  There's nothing wrong with doing some research to narrow down purchase options.  If a game's concept sounds interesting to me then I will give it more of a chance even if the reviews are iffy.  But there are many third party Wii games where:

A. I'm not interested in the concept.
B. I don't trust the developer involved.
C. I'm not part of the game's target demo in the first place.
D. The game gets crapped on in reviews.

Why the crap would I risk my time and money on a game like this?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2009, 02:45:26 AM »
If you just want to experiment you can grab one of those 10$ games from the bargain bin. Or rent one, I hear that has reasonable prices on your side of the Atlantic.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 07:21:36 AM »

Who says it has to make sense for it to be exactly what they are doing?  How many publishers and developers have outright trashed the Wii for being a "gimmick" or "casual," and then found seemingly business-related "strategies" to dump crap on the console and then get angry when the seemingly "stupid, casual" Wii owners had more savvy than they thought?  You might think they they're making money off their current "dump crap on Wii" strategy, but they really aren't.  None of these games ever really hits it big and these titles are mostly from the big time publishers who are really struggling.  It makes no business sense not to support the market leader, but that doesn't mean that's not what they are doing.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline BwrJim!

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009, 11:27:46 AM »
ok dammit.. stop the hate.. and I am serious.

To those of you slamming the 3rd party games that you call gimmicky and or/ fail because its Dora and what not.   You know what, I considered myself hardcore.  I've been playing games since before 1980 and I can tell you one thing.   All games have the potential to be good.   A lot of these games people are calling out as shovelware and crap.. well guess what. They can be pretty damn fun.  Sure I get sick of them (I have three kids and a wife btw) but a lot of them entertain my family members and it creates a fun atmosphere for everyone.   So before you write off the games, give them the Nintendo standard of 1 hour before you rate them, its only fair.

and for the info on FFVII.  Here is the low down from a few of my friends..   The only reason Square jumped ship, was because they could not figure out how to develop on the 64 very well and Nintendo was not sharing any information on how to do it.  Sony offered a check and the rest is history. 

Had to vent..

Now, at least the one fighting game I saw on that list for the wii, will be at least online.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2009, 12:31:30 PM »
If you just want to experiment you can grab one of those 10$ games from the bargain bin. Or rent one, I hear that has reasonable prices on your side of the Atlantic.

That ian. That. It's not hard to experiment.

A lot of these games people are calling out as shovelware and crap.. well guess what. They can be pretty damn fun

I actually agree with you here. The trouble here is certain words get certain connotations attached to them that are often times negative. For instance you used the word shovelware which some people use to describe a rushed game of low quality, right? Well when i use it, i use it along the same lines but its not something I would outright dismiss. Games based on a license often have this negative stereotype attached to it, but one of our very own staff here proved that not all licensed games are crap. I think it was Mr. Jack who was pretty much in LOVE with the Speed Racer movie game.

Dang! Where'd all these good games come from all of a sudden? I hadn't bought anything all summer long, then there's this flood of epic gam3r games

^ha, exactly. There are TONS of good games out there (for Wii alone) that just go unnoticed by people that call themselves"gam3rs". Not that I'm knocking you Decoyman, cuz I know its not entirely your fault.

Well, why are you hardc0r3 arpeegee gam3rs still talking about it now, months later? Shouldn't you have moved onto something else by now??? Yes, I blame you. All of you. Especially Easycure. And Pro.

Nope, because tripple A games are supposed to offer endless entertainment and are supposed to be hard to put down. Even a game with (checks metacritic for the first time ever) HOLY CRAP! a meta-score of 80 (and a user score of 9.0!)!!.. Ha I didn't think a niche game woulda scored so high, but just go to show you there are quality titles out there. Lowest score shown was a 68 from Gameinformer, pfft. Hell NWR gave it a higher score than even Nintendo Power!

So ya, while Wii 3rd party support isn't exactly where it should be, its far from "utter crap" either.