Author Topic: The next games in the "Wii" series  (Read 10278 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
The next games in the "Wii" series
« on: January 20, 2009, 01:02:58 PM »
In just a few short years Nintendo has successfully explored established gaming genres and made them so that both core and casual gamers could enjoy them. They did sports (Wii Sports), arcade games (Wii Play), fitness (Wii Fit) and music (Wii Music). With the success of these titles where does Nintendo go from there? What other genres can be explored in order to keep new and old players interested?

We are already getting a sequel to Wii Sports with enhanced 1:1 controls and there are rumors of Wii Fit 2 being made as we speak.

While these continue Nintendo's mission of games everyone can play they are mainly continuations of already popular, proven games.

What games could Nintendo make under the "Wii" banner that keeps pushing the ideas forward while still entertaining those that already played the existing titles?

Here are some ideas of where Nintendo could take the Wii series and its fans...

1. Wii Artist
Now, this is a game that I am surprised Nintendo has not decided to make. All of us growing up during the SNES era loved Mario Paint thanks to its easy to learn mechanics, quirky presentation and endless potential. What I realize now is that it was a classic Blue Ocean title. I find it funny how people complain about Nintendo doing these types of games now when they have been experimenting with the idea for years now, Mario Paint being an example of this.

So again, it surprises me that with the success of the Wii with non-players they have yet to announce a game that is a spiritual follow up to Mario Paint. And no, the doodle feature on the Photo Channel does not count.

Here's how I envision the game to be:
Like in Mario Paint the game loads an empty canvas, with your tools easily at your disposal. It works similarly to Mario Paint, with different colors, tools and features to enhance your artwork.

Now, the Wii remote could easily replicate the SNES mouse, except perhaps offer even more precision.

Just like in the original you can add funky stamps, based on Nintendo franchises, and even add Miis to your drawings!

With WiiConnect24 you can send your drawings and artwork to other players, even to those that don't have the game.

Of course, they could also add the music, sprite and animation creation tools, and once again further expand those concepts that uses the Wii remote and its features to the fullest. And just like Wii Music allowed you to share music videos you can send your animated movies, and hell, add the Miis too!

Really, Nintendo. This game can be made...

2. Wii Talent Studio
Those that follow Nintendo history closely know that for years they have tried to make games that implemented the player into the story and the game's world. They have tried doing this since the Famicom days with an add on that never materialized.

During the N64 days this idea came briefly to life, but the requirement of the 64 DD dampened its appeal and potential. But it was still a wondrous idea.

On the GC days, they brought the idea back at E3 2003, but like the 64 DD before it, it required other adds that and the appeal was, once more, limited.

Nintendo's main excuse is that these games saw no appeal or gameplay potential in the current market. But Nintendo has changed since then. We know have Wii Music, a game that would have been canceled during the N64 and GC days, and it shows Nintendo is bold with this decision.

So if Nintendo saw confidence in Wii Music why can't get go back to Talent Studio and release it under the Wii banner?

The best part about this is that the technology is easily available. Miis can be used as your avatar, and have them dance alongside Nintendo characters, customize their wardrobe or even make little movies like they did with the N64 talent studio. The storage shouldn't be a problem. The SD card could be used to storage creations and movies.

Or, in order to further customize your character you can grab a photo off the photo channel or SD card, cut a face and paste it onto a character model, and you have both a real and cartoony representation of your character.

Like Wii Music, I see people criticizing it for not having enough potential or even stuff to do. But, I think it will gather a loyal set of fans, both with core gamers and casuals. This might even create an emotional response in the players as they see each other acting out in funny scenes. Wii Speak can even be used to add voice to your characters.

3. Wii Dance
Now this is an obvious choice. You have the Wii balance and you have motion plus. Both can be used to carefully monitor your movements and see how well co-ordinated you are.

I could see Nintendo borrowing some ideas from the DDR series, but will focus on creating some new elements that make it different from any other dance game. If Wii Fit concentrated on balance and fitness Wii Dance could focus on developing body rhythm as a fitness method or for those that really want to dance.

Of course, people will crap on this idea because they are afraid of looking like massive toolboxes. But once more, I see the idea being praised by experts, claiming it could encourage children to step up and dance in a way that is deep but still accessible, like Wii Fit before it.

This is what I have for now. What else can you add to this quirky selection?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: The next games in the "Wii" series
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:08:37 PM »
I don't think Nintendo will do this, but I think it's a great idea.  It'd definitely look a little like a "me too" approach to Little Big Planet, but I would care.

Wii Jump
Think of it as a combination of what New Super Mario Bros. did with Mii support for characters and multiplayer co-op platforming like LBP.

The Wii series is all about bringing new gamers in.  They should use one to bring new gamers over to some classic gameplay styles too.

I would buy it.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:12:37 PM »
I don't think Nintendo will do this, but I think it's a great idea.  It'd definitely look a little like a "me too" approach to Little Big Planet, but I would care.

Wii Jump
Think of it as a combination of what New Super Mario Bros. did with Mii support for characters and multiplayer co-op platforming like LBP.

The Wii series is all about bringing new gamers in.  They should use one to bring new gamers over to some classic gameplay styles too.

I would buy it.

I think they could do it, but as part of Wii Play 2.

Funny enough, the Game Overthinker suggested that Nintendo should make a Mario All Stars with a level editor. So Wii Jump with a level editor could be fantastic...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 01:24:17 PM »
Funny enough, the Game Overthinker suggested that Nintendo should make a Mario All Stars with a level editor. So Wii Jump with a level editor could be fantastic...

I personally think that would be a bit too complex for a Wii-series game...Sounds like a great idea for a Mario game, though...

I also seriously want a Wii Paint-like game...Throw in DS connectivity as a bonus!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 04:27:52 PM »
I like the idea of Wii Dance.  Add two Wiimotion Plus and the Wii Balance Board and you can come up with a very deep dance game. 

I would like to see:

Wii Party (Possibly a Wii Play 2)

Wii Party would come with 10 to 12 games based on simple 4 player Co-Op and Verse games.  And support online play. 

The idea would be to make sure that each minigame is playable with 4 players CO-OP and Verse both.  And have depth enough to infinitely playable like Wii Sports. 

Games I would like to see:

TANK! 4-player vs Mode and CO-OP.
Mario vs. Luigi (With Mii Support as well)
4-Player Pool game
4-Player Laser Hockey
4-Player racing game like Off-Road Racing with crazy Tilt Controls

And 5 more multiplayer games.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:42:11 PM »
I personally think that would be a bit too complex for a Wii-series game...Sounds like a great idea for a Mario game, though...

I dunno bout you guys but one of my first level editors I've messed with was Super Mario World of course that was thanks to the Rom and emulator community and it was extremely simple.  All you had to do was click on what you wanted and just place it in the level.  Butt sliding levels FTW!!!!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 05:32:22 PM »
How about...

Wii Clean

It's a game about housecleaning and such. You could hold the Wiimote like a vacuum to sweep carpet, or you could mop floors, oh and it could be used as a feather duster too. There's already a minigame in Mario Party 8 where you use the Wiimote like a sponge to scrub a Chain Chomp, they could build on concepts like that.

...Yes I realize this is a stupid idea but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it. The Wii is the best system capable of making a game about cleaning, maybe a little too well-suited. There are games about cooking so why not cleaning?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 05:40:42 PM »
Too narrow a focus.  You're more likely to get something like Wii Party which would consist of a bunch of Mario Party-esqe mini-games with Mii support.

EDIT:  DAMNIT.  I just say that Spak already used my bitchin' Wii Party name.  Oh well.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 05:43:15 PM »
How about...

Wii Clean

It's a game about housecleaning and such. You could hold the Wiimote like a vacuum to sweep carpet, or you could mop floors, oh and it could be used as a feather duster too. There's already a minigame in Mario Party 8 where you use the Wiimote like a sponge to scrub a Chain Chomp, they could build on concepts like that.

...Yes I realize this is a stupid idea but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it. The Wii is the best system capable of making a game about cleaning, maybe a little too well-suited. There are games about cooking so why not cleaning?

I know you're thinking of a cleaning simulator, but it actually got me thinking about a a cleaning "coach," which would be more suitable for the DS. Think about it! It could clip onto your belt buckle or vaccum and count the calories while you move around the house! It could display a schedule so you could track and time tasks. It could cross-reference your cleaning product purchases and track your satisfaction with each, and typical prices! It could e-mail you sales info on your favorite items from selected retailers! It could count up your total time for the week, help you track household chorse you've delegated to others in the household... omg awesome!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 05:58:28 PM »
How about Pilot Wiings although it will never happen.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 06:04:15 PM »
Wii Artist would need to wait until WiiMotion Plus is available, but I do like the idea.

Have a Paint Program that you can send your pictures to.
Have a Coloring Book application.

A Cool ability that would fit the idea of the Wii Paint series would be to make your own colors by mixing paints like a painter would. 

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 06:29:21 PM »
WII Mash--I fools guide to cooking, which could also contain MII Diets to go along with FIT.  Getting tried of fast food and hotpockets.

WII Fix-it--again more EDU than gaming but maybe a guide to fix household stuff.

WII Bottoms Up--again a nice EDU program with all types of mix drinks.  :)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 06:31:40 PM »
WII Fix-it--again more EDU than gaming but maybe a guide to fix household stuff.

WII Bottoms Up--again a nice EDU program with all types of mix drinks.  :)

Great ideas!

Hmm... someone should make a "Construction Mama" game...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 06:41:08 PM »
Wii Artist is a perfect idea.  It just seems like such a no-brainer.

But I don't know if Nintendo would do it or at least do it in a way even remotely close to what we expect.

Wii Music seemed like such a no-brainer concept in theory.  But it ended up being REALLY different than what anyone expected.  Probably the most shocking thing was that there was no real song creation mode.  Yeah you can record a performance but you can't write your own music.  To me that was the complete deal breaker.  Well Wii Music had OTHER issues as well but that was the biggest one.  F*cking Mario Paint is more advanced than Wii Music.

So what the hell would any Wii Artist Nintendo would come up with actually be like?  You talk about Mario Paint but Mario Paint's music mode was considering TOO COMPLEX for non-gamers!  They felt they had to dumb it down.  So if making your own music is beyond the scope of the Wii series then what level of artistic creation is?  Will Nintendo just let you paint your own picture are will you only be able to manipulate pre-existing pictures?  Will it be like a colouring book?

We love to speculate about possible games but with the Wii series I am incapable of even remotely guessing what Nintendo will do.  The series is very clearly not designed for me.  Ambitious design goes out the window.  And with Wii Music having been the most recently released entry in the series it's really hard to tell where things will go from there.  No one thought Wii Music would end up as it was.  Everyone expected more to it.

Speculate all you want but I'm pretty sure whatever comes next will be considerably less ambitious than anything you come up with.  We're not the target demo here and I think as gamers our armchair game designing is of too wide a scope for the Wii series.

With Nintendo adding a camera to the DSi perhaps they could come up with some sort of Wii Video.  They very well could release some other peripheral to ship with the game.  We couldn't guess of Wii Fit's existence because it relied on them pulling some new hardware out of thin air.

I love Pale's Wii Jump idea though.  It's really cool!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 07:00:11 PM »
What do you all think of the DSi's moving memo pad? That's like the GameBoy Camera, but with Touch-screen doodling and the power to create animations... and there have been some amazing things created on it already!

That said, it's little more than a digital flipbook isn't it? Nintendo seems to gravitate towards smaller, focused scopes and eschew western-style big do-anything-and-everything drives. Maybe it's that lack of a clear, concise focus that kept the 64's Talent Studio from ever coming out.

Or maybe Nintendo's experiments in that direction haven't yet reached critical mass? It's surprising to note that the Wii's Miis have a history stretching back to Talent Studio, and even back to the Famicom Disk Drive.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 07:01:05 PM »
Wii Circulate: Practice holding your breath in competitive mini-games; for people who don't want to deal with learning the more complex respirational functions required by the human body. Links up with <a href="http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=26179.0" target="_self">Nintendoxygen DS [/url]
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 07:23:37 PM »
Wii Artist is a perfect idea.  It just seems like such a no-brainer.

But I don't know if Nintendo would do it or at least do it in a way even remotely close to what we expect.

Wii Music seemed like such a no-brainer concept in theory.  But it ended up being REALLY different than what anyone expected.  Probably the most shocking thing was that there was no real song creation mode.  Yeah you can record a performance but you can't write your own music.  To me that was the complete deal breaker.  Well Wii Music had OTHER issues as well but that was the biggest one.  F*cking Mario Paint is more advanced than Wii Music.

So what the hell would any Wii Artist Nintendo would come up with actually be like?  You talk about Mario Paint but Mario Paint's music mode was considering TOO COMPLEX for non-gamers!  They felt they had to dumb it down.  So if making your own music is beyond the scope of the Wii series then what level of artistic creation is?  Will Nintendo just let you paint your own picture are will you only be able to manipulate pre-existing pictures?  Will it be like a colouring book?

We love to speculate about possible games but with the Wii series I am incapable of even remotely guessing what Nintendo will do.  The series is very clearly not designed for me.  Ambitious design goes out the window.  And with Wii Music having been the most recently released entry in the series it's really hard to tell where things will go from there.  No one thought Wii Music would end up as it was.  Everyone expected more to it.

Speculate all you want but I'm pretty sure whatever comes next will be considerably less ambitious than anything you come up with.  We're not the target demo here and I think as gamers our armchair game designing is of too wide a scope for the Wii series.

With Nintendo adding a camera to the DSi perhaps they could come up with some sort of Wii Video.  They very well could release some other peripheral to ship with the game.  We couldn't guess of Wii Fit's existence because it relied on them pulling some new hardware out of thin air.

I love Pale's Wii Jump idea though.  It's really cool!

Now see, to an extend I agree that Nintendo would try and simplify the idea behind the concept. But I still believe that there would be compelling depth behind such a simple idea.

See, people are holding tight the belief that Wii Music is too simple. Yes, its simple in idea, but very detailed in execution, and the proof lies in the user videos posted online. The game even has a detailed rundown of all the styles you can add to your songs.

Hell, even the original Mario Paint displayed depth despite its limited tools and features. You could only save one song, one 4 to 6 frame piece of animation and one drawing. Yet, people figured a way out of this and created lenghty animated videos that were astounding. The creators of Homestar Runner did many of its early Homestar episodes on Mario Paint.

And yes, the sprite maker might be too hard for casuals, but Animal Crossing lets you create designs and they advertise it as a big feature in the game. If AC has it why not Wii Artist.

Nintendo could also add an educational aspect to it, in the same way that Wii Fit and Wii Music do it. They could even bring back the Tutes and have them explain the concept behind shadow and lighting, conveying depth, abstract angles and such.

So Wii Artist could be a very compelling package despite its apparent simplicity.

But you are right in that Nintendo could take the idea into a whole different direction, and in all honesty that's why I love them :) .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 09:09:39 PM »
But you are right in that Nintendo could take the idea into a whole different direction, and in all honesty that's why I love them :) .

I'd have to agree with this. Part of the thrill of being a Nintendo fan is that, for better or for worse, Nintendo can still surprise us after all these years. &P Honestly, Nintendo's willingness to zig when everyone else is expecting them to zag is what has kept the company not just afloat, but also at the forefront of this industry for so long.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »
This is not the most exciting idea, but I'd like Wii Trivia (or Wii Gameshow) where you answer Nintendo trivia and have other fun mini-games to give it some meat.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 09:27:01 PM »
This is not the most exciting idea, but I'd like Wii Trivia (or Wii Gameshow) where you answer Nintendo trivia and have other fun mini-games to give it some meat.

Heh, they are already making that.

I don't know the name of it, but its a trivia/game show game based on a popular Japanese station. It uses the Miis and everything.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »
Hold Your Wii For a Wii

and

Wii YoHoHo Puzzle Pirates
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 01:16:37 AM »
I know you're thinking of a cleaning simulator, but it actually got me thinking about a a cleaning "coach," which would be more suitable for the DS.
While that isn't a bad idea, I want all of the enjoyment of cleaning without the progress and satisfaction of real cleaning.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 01:21:25 AM »
Great, another entry for the Domestic Mama series
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 01:57:14 AM »
I know you're thinking of a cleaning simulator, but it actually got me thinking about a a cleaning "coach," which would be more suitable for the DS.
While that isn't a bad idea, I want all of the enjoyment of cleaning without the progress and satisfaction of real cleaning.

Hey...HEY!  It's not like you actually get the progress and satisfaction of marching through 8 worlds of Goomba-stomping and Bowser-crushing, right?  RIGHT?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 02:00:12 AM »
I'm predicting Wii Cook even though there's already been a cooking game on the Wii.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig