Author Topic: Japanese style games going extinct?  (Read 15981 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese style games going extinct?
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 04:50:46 PM »
Naah, it's a grindfest with everything else conveniently removed so you can focus on grinding. Disgaea was boasting that you could go up to level 1000 or so and then you could remake the character to make him even better and get him to level 1000 again and do that a few times to get the ultimate character, then you got weapons that have to be levelled by beating floors in a random dungeon for them and if you level them to 100 they transform into something new that's level 1 again so you get to level it to 100 again and then it transforms...
I think I got sick of that when my best characters were around level 15 or so. I can't even imagine levelling past, say, 40-50. The levelling is no faster than in other games so every level still takes some time to get and it's not like "hey I gained 10 levels in one battle".

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 06:44:30 PM »
Quote from: Lindy
When's the last time you saw something super unique from the West?
From Europe, I've discovered awesomeness of NitRome! =D

And some random indie freeware games. And World Of Goo.

Quote from: Lindy
Outside of Nintendo, you got nothing.  That's why Nintendo sells so much; say what you will, but their games are truly unique.  For example, Soul Calibur IV, Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Tekken 6, and Street Fighter IV are all going to be amazing fighters, but who's going to buy all of them aside from genre geeks?  Also, what are they going to offer that will bring in new fans?  Probably not a lot.
Exactly, not a whole lot. The only traditional fighter I've ever played and liked to peices is Soul Calibur II. I <3 <3 <3 Talim and Ivy.

Talim for next smash bros plz thk u Ninty. =3
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2009, 03:58:40 AM »
After a bit of thinking I've reached the conclusion that it's simply colorful and cartoony games that are missing on the HD systems. When you look at a store shelf it's all brown-gray realism stuff.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2009, 11:49:53 AM »
Indeed.  These non-casuals don't go for the candy-like visuals.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2009, 12:22:32 PM »
Castle Crushers is the only 360 game that was colorful, but that's a download.

Hell, Duck Tales on the NES is more colorful then GTAIV. =/

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
Castle Crushers is the only 360 game that was colorful, but that's a download.

Oy, oy, there's actually a few games that are quite vivid...Eternal Sonata, Viva Pinata, Tales of Vesperia, etc...They ARE in the strict minority, though...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »
Which is exactly why I didn't name them. I'm not a huge fan of RPGs (excluding some... Secret of Mana, Tales of Symphonia, Mother 3, The Mario RPGs...).

Can ya' name the colorful games on the 360, Bill? Ones that are not RPGs?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2009, 01:41:23 PM »
Yeah, colorful ones that SELL.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »
I would skip over Persona 3 and go right to 4 (there's issues with 3--like no control over other party members and the story is better in 4 as well).

They did fix random fights, usually the enemy appears on the map and it's your choice to engage (minus the boss battles). 

I know alot of people bitch about Turn-based games but forget SW Knight of the Old Republic is turn-based made by Bioware :0.   

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2009, 04:50:42 PM »
Which is exactly why I didn't name them. I'm not a huge fan of RPGs (excluding some... Secret of Mana, Tales of Symphonia, Mother 3, The Mario RPGs...).

Can ya' name the colorful games on the 360, Bill? Ones that are not RPGs?

But you didn't even SAY colorful NON-RPGs!  Changing the argument is for-bid-den! 
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2009, 05:01:47 PM »
I think JRPGs flooded in because, until the days of HD gaming, they were REALLY easy to make. A turn-based battle system removes 98% of the player doing something to break the combat of the game by accident, meaning you're basically just managing scripting, data and assets.

The real problem is that JRPGs (and largely RPGs in general) exist on the back of a good story, and I haven't seen too many JRPG stories as of late that weren't horribly cliched, poorly translated or both.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2009, 01:35:20 AM »
After a bit of thinking I've reached the conclusion that it's simply colorful and cartoony games that are missing on the HD systems. When you look at a store shelf it's all brown-gray realism stuff.

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction isn't grey-brown realism.  Neither is Viva Pinata, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, LittleBigPlanet, Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds, or Fable II.  There aren't many "cartoony" games, but I think it's unfair to stereotype the entire 360 and PS3 libraries as clones of Gears of War and Killzone.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2009, 04:36:47 AM »
I think JRPGs flooded in because, until the days of HD gaming, they were REALLY easy to make. A turn-based battle system removes 98% of the player doing something to break the combat of the game by accident, meaning you're basically just managing scripting, data and assets.

"just"... Assets are the biggest money drain in game development. Game mechanics are dirt cheap to implement.

Lindy, a list like that is too small. If it mattered then people wouldn't complain that the GC had no "mature" games, the Wii had no "hardcore" games, etc.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2009, 12:51:11 PM »
I would skip over Persona 3 and go right to 4 (there's issues with 3--like no control over other party members and the story is better in 4 as well).

They did fix random fights, usually the enemy appears on the map and it's your choice to engage (minus the boss battles). 

3 is definitely better. There weren't random battles in 3 either, so that hasn't changed at all in 4.

They are different games, each of which deserves play. So many aspects of 3 are stronger, but I'll save this for my second podcast.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2009, 04:56:28 PM »
When's the last time you saw something super unique from Japan?
No More Heroes. Madworld.

Both trying their damndest to be as western as possible.

I think this speaks volumes.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2009, 05:09:58 PM »
Perhaps this is a dumb question but what exactly makes a game "Western" and what makes a game "Japanese style".
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2009, 10:48:52 PM »
That is a very good question, but unfortunately, in much the same way that I can't describe what makes music metal, I can't describe what makes a game western or Japanese.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown