Author Topic: Circuit City to liquidate assets starting Saturday  (Read 23952 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Circuit City to liquidate assets starting Saturday
« on: January 16, 2009, 12:30:46 PM »
I know how some of you usually go on buying some specific games for gift cards. Since Circuit City will start liquidating because they can't find a buyer.

So if you have any gift cards from Circuit City it's a good idea to cash them in now before they become worthless.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Circuit City to liquidate assets starting Saturday
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »
why can't they wait until I get my Tax Return or Economic Stimulus check. oh well. It's not like I have time to play any games. Maybe whenever I get some tax money in I'll be able to afford a new hd tv . who knows.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
The electronics/computer market is a tough field with little profit.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 02:53:26 PM »
CONSUMER electronics/computer market is a tough field. BUSINESS electronics/computer market is a tough field with HUGE profits.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »
My biggest concern is that the Circuit City down the street from my office will be a (worse) giant eyesore.  I've never liked Circuit City.  The store layout makes no sense, nobody's ever manning the cash registers, and their stupid security system beeps at the card key in my wallet every time I walk in or out.  I can walk there from where I work, so it's not like they had to do much to get my business, but they still screwed it up.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »
Ya. Circuit was generally overpriced, small, and like you said, had a really stupid layout. Considering that in my town, CC is right next to Best Buy, it wasn't hard to see how they were losing money.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »
The only person ever in their proper station was the security guard, and even they never did anything because everyone would beep and they'd smile and wave at you goodbye..

Still.. if i could find something decent at a liquidated price, I'll have to at least check it out. Couldn't hurt.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »
The one thing I could count on Circuit City with was to have a greater chance of having older, more obscure titles still in stock...Other than that, I've always been a Best Buy person...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »
Almost picked up SSX Blur for 10 bucks at CC.. decided against it.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »
The one thing I could count on Circuit City with was to have a greater chance of having older, more obscure titles still in stock.

That's just more proof that no one shopped there.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »
Woolworths went bust in November, which itself caused Zavvi to go bust in December. Both of which were offerring SUBSTANTIAL DISCOUNTS on everything including consoles. Until you realised they increased the price back up to RRP and then applied discount meaning it was more expensive than to start with.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
Not a big surprise considering they have been having trouble for a couple of years now. At least my favorite, Best Buy, is still around.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »
Who's left out of the chains?
Best Buy and Frys?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:18:33 PM »
what are the chances of getting RB2 (wii; disc only) for less than msrp?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 02:10:54 AM »
Probably pretty good as we get closer to March.  The discounts won't really kick in 'til February, when they start to get desperate in their bid to clean out warehouses. 
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 07:22:42 AM »
Woolworths went bust in November, which itself caused Zavvi to go bust in December. Both of which were offerring SUBSTANTIAL DISCOUNTS on everything including consoles. Until you realised they increased the price back up to RRP and then applied discount meaning it was more expensive than to start with.

That's why our courts have decided that you cannot advertise a "discount" if the "original price" isn't what you actually sold it at (and you have to sell at it for a certain time period before it's considered valid).

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »
Probably pretty good as we get closer to March.  The discounts won't really kick in 'til February, when they start to get desperate in their bid to clean out warehouses. 

ugh that means repeat trips to check in on their inventory. i have nothing better to do so I'll check this out today and see what i can find.. don't see myself buying anything  though. I'll report back my findings but dont expect anything in depth, its not like i plan on coming home with an hdtv or something

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 01:34:06 PM »
It's interesting, the former Circuit City CEO said that 10 years back, CC didn't take Best Buy seriously as a competitor.  Best Buy just did everything better in the long run, like marketing, all the Geek Squad stuff, their stores are always nice and clean and well laid-out, they have some good prices, their Rewards Zone stuff is a great idea, and they have a really nice website.  CC was always second-tier in all of these areas, and they were just never really on the ball.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
They just built a new Circuit City here before the PS3 and Wii came out (moved from about a 1/2 mile down the street)...way to go. Oh well, time to go get some cheap stuff (preferably mobile DVD/GPS).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 11:32:49 PM »
It's interesting, the former Circuit City CEO said that 10 years back, CC didn't take Best Buy seriously as a competitor.  Best Buy just did everything better in the long run, like marketing, all the Geek Squad stuff, their stores are always nice and clean and well laid-out, they have some good prices, their Rewards Zone stuff is a great idea, and they have a really nice website.  CC was always second-tier in all of these areas, and they were just never really on the ball.

I actually like my local Best Buy quite a bit. Though like any store there are some bad ones, there is one by where I work that is TERRIBLE, it isn't that clean, everything is scrunched together in what appears to be builing that was once used for something else. To top it off the employees could care less if you need help, they'll just ignore you while the one by where I live they are great and very helpful.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 12:30:15 AM »
I actually like my local Best Buy quite a bit. Though like any store there are some bad ones, there is one by where I work that is TERRIBLE, it isn't that clean, everything is scrunched together in what appears to be builing that was once used for something else. To top it off the employees could care less if you need help, they'll just ignore you while the one by where I live they are great and very helpful.

I think it really depends on the area.  I live right near a mall, so the Best Buy next to the mall is one of the biggest in the city.  It's always busy so it's always kept in tip-top shape (and the sales associates do everything but wipe your butt on the way in the door).
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 08:02:36 PM »
Well it's official all the stores and assets are now in possession of the liquidators have fun with the sales. All extended warranties are still valid and will be handled by another company and all gift cards are valid until everything is gone or March.

Right now games are 10% off and movies are 20% off.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 08:19:03 PM »
I might start checking every week. I'll let you guys know what I find. I'd like to pick up a new receiver, an external hard-drive, and some old GC and DS games.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 10:47:49 PM »
good luck with that. The only GC games mine has are crap titles or ones i already have. As far as games being 10% off, i'll keep checking pack from time to time to see if they get any lower. Knowing the one closest too me, associates won't bother restocking things from the back, so i might just luck out when they do (ie when the shelves are bare and their managers ride their ass to get product out)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 09:44:39 AM »
All gaming accessories are 30% off right now, games just 10%.  But if you're in need of a controller, headset, or cables now is the time.  I nabbed one of the last few PS3 controllers and new Sony headset and saved 50 bones.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 09:47:34 AM »
Really....

I could use some new component Wii cables.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »
got some component cables for my wii even though i dont have the tv for it lol, and 30% off wii points cards is awesome!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:06:47 AM by EasyCure »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 09:03:38 PM »
You mean component cables.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 01:07:59 AM »
haha thats whayt i meant i was drunk at the time. downd 2 martini before a movie and decided to check out curcuite city before it stareted

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 02:00:39 AM »
haha thats whayt i meant i'm still drunk. downd 2 martini before a movie and decided to check out curcuite city before it stareted

Yep... =)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »
haha thats whayt i meant i'm still drunk. downd 2 martini before a movie and decided to check out curcuite city before it stareted

Yep... =)

no!... well maybe a little as i had another srink when i got home. i was also sleepy though and i was typing this out on my phone with one eye open!

*yawn*

just woke up too, dont rememer typing that.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 01:00:13 AM »
Yay - I got the RockBand 2 wireless drums for $72 because Circuit City is run by morons!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 01:03:30 AM »
I went in there to get an optical cable for my 360.  They had some and they were 30% off! Sounded great...

30% off of 75 freaking dollars!  Seriously, and they wonder why they went out of business. I went to Wal-Mart and got one for 15.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 01:24:23 AM »
Pale, you got ripped off. Optical cables are essentially all the same, get one off eBay for $0.99 and return the $15 cable to Wal-Mart. It's a digital signal, so there's no difference, same with HDMI and DVI.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 08:03:13 AM »
Oh I know 15 bucks  was over paying, but for this I wanted to get my freaking 360 hooked up and not have to wait for shipment.  15 bucks was cheap enough to pay for that luxury.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 09:15:35 AM »
I went in there to get an optical cable for my 360.  They had some and they were 30% off! Sounded great...

30% off of 75 freaking dollars!  Seriously, and they wonder why they went out of business. I went to Wal-Mart and got one for 15.

I saw an HDMI cable there, no joke when I tell you this, for 124 FUCKING DOLLARS. I bought the HDMI cable I use with my PS3 for THREE DOLLARS at NewEgg. I say good riddance, glad these fools are out of business.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 09:25:03 AM »
I saw an HDMI cable there, no joke when I tell you this, for 124 ****ING DOLLARS. I bought the HDMI cable I use with my PS3 for THREE DOLLARS at NewEgg. I say good riddance, glad these fools are out of business.

I like to imagine that when they charge you > $100 for an HDMI cable, the cable comes with ownership rights to a small struggling third world nation.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »
any news on further discounts coming soon?

As i mentioned in my last post, I got the component cables for my wii (for future use, right now they're collecting dust) and a wii points card for the 30% off but I haven't gotten much of anything else.

20% off dvd's isn't worth it to me, and some random stuff i'd buy soley because its on sale (like new external speakers for my crappy computer, or a replacement pair for the one i have hooked up to my ghetto mono tv) is still only 10% off and not worth it.

Oh, i was in there the other day and almost picked up a wireless sensor bar just becasue it was advertised as $6, and although I'd probably never use it, might be handy to keep a spare around. Sure would make moving my wii into the family room easier for parties..

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 01:02:24 PM »
Wow I didn't even think about accessories, I wonder if they have any XBL points or memberships, that would be a steal!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 01:08:35 PM »
I looked for both.  They have them for normal price minus 10% when I was there... so you still do better on Amazon.
---------------------

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 01:17:52 PM »
When EGM closed it's doors, when people brought up the fact that EGM's entire business model was fail, everyone was all "oh, boo hoo, what about the people who are losing their jobs?"

When Circuit City is closing, everyone's circling them like vultures, trying to get good deals and saying things like "they deserved to close!"

Wow.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2009, 01:21:33 PM »
Hah very good point....

I think the difference here is that I worked for Circuit City for over a year and hated every person in management with a firey pashion.  I know for a fact they ripped people off regulary with protection plans, lying about what's covered, refusing to fix things that should have been covered, generally price gouging.

Everyone I knew there that didn't participate in these horrible things would be fine getting out of there. =P

So yeah, I guess my personal experiences make it ok (in my mind) for me to be a hypocrite here.

Also, 1up didn't charge people 10 billion percent markups on cables. =P Just sayin'
---------------------

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2009, 01:26:30 PM »
40 1UP people got laid off in totally sucks that they got let go on such a bad time, take it from a guy who is looking for work in general.

This is just sad :/

40 people are out of a job and we're supposed to feel sorry for them, regardless of the fact that these 40 people dictated the flow of the magazine that failed.

Thousands of Circuit City workers are out of a job and it's okay because Circuit City overcharged on cables?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 01:29:11 PM »
Circuit City personally pissed me off so I don't care what happens to them.

There, I dare you to try and argue with my blatant and painful selfishness! There's nowhere for you to go! =P
---------------------

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2009, 01:30:34 PM »
You're just stupid and are an HD gaming whore.  Go play your PS3 and 360 and leave just core gamers alone.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2009, 01:31:09 PM »
Banned.
---------------------

Offline Uncle Bob

• Bob-to-go
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009, 01:35:52 PM »
Nice try, but you can't ban me, you M$ pimp. Just because I'm not impressed with your attempts to bring the 360 into EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION, i won't be silenced!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2009, 02:07:38 PM »
Is everyone committing forum suicide?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »
Heh, well I can appreciate Uncle Bob's irony and sarcasm.
---------------------

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2009, 02:33:06 PM »
But not Mario's?  ;)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »
All my reasons for banning Mario are in the dramathreadofthecentury. Let's not make this one too.
---------------------

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2009, 02:37:12 PM »
Party pooper.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »
lol... Pale is a trainwreck pimp!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »
When EGM closed it's doors, when people brought up the fact that EGM's entire business model was fail, everyone was all "oh, boo hoo, what about the people who are losing their jobs?"

When Circuit City is closing, everyone's circling them like vultures, trying to get good deals and saying things like "they deserved to close!"

Wow.

Not me!

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2009, 06:00:38 PM »

Wow.

I feel like I'm back on Slashdot again, where every time a lot of people cheered or jeered at something, someone would accuse "everyone" of hypocrisy because "everyone" had done the opposite in some other circumstance.  Last time I checked, we hadn't spontaneously joined together as a gestalt entity.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »
I feel like I'm back on Slashdot again, where every time a lot of people cheered or jeered at something, someone would accuse "everyone" of hypocrisy because "everyone" had done the opposite in some other circumstance.  Last time I checked, we hadn't spontaneously joined together as a gestalt entity.

That word is blacklisted around here.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »

Wow... I didn't know using "everyone" in a general sense was a faux-pas now.  Lemme fix...

When EGM closed it's doors, and some individuals brought up the fact that EGM's entire business model was fail, several others jumped in and was all "oh, boo hoo, what about the people who are losing their jobs?"

Now that Circuit City is closing, several people are circling them like vultures, trying to get good deals and saying things like "they deserved to close!", Meanwhile, no one's jumped up in the defense of the several thousand people losing their jobs.

Wow.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »
That word is blacklisted around here.

Still protesting.

Wow... I didn't know using "everyone" in a general sense was a faux-pas now.

It just rubbed me the wrong way because of the implication of groupthink.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2009, 01:31:31 PM »
Bobs just mad cuz Wal*mart is next ;)

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2009, 11:02:02 PM »
It DOES suck that a **** ton of people are losing their jobs, but if that's going to happen, the rest of us might as well get some sweet deals while we've got the chance.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2009, 09:23:08 AM »
I see it this way:

As a whole (in terms of employees) YES, it does suck that they're losing their jobs in these tough times.

Though when you walk into a Circuit City you usually realize in 5 mins that half (or more..) of the employees there DON'T WANT TO BE THERE and don't bether to help you in the slightest.. so how bad can you really feel?
Oh and the reason why these people got hired in the first place is usualy INCOMPOTENT MANAGEMENT which brings me to my next point:

As a whole (in terms of business & management) I'm GLAD to see the company go down because they didn't know how to run **** at all. Even in this rough economy Best Buy and the likes manage to keep in business, Circuit City though has been losing money for a while now and its not because of outside forces, they've been killin themselves for just being bad at busines. You reap what you sow, tough luck.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »
There's a sharp difference between what you feel for a company, and what you feel for it's employees.  Sometimes, I think people forget that corporations are a separate legal entity.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »
Mhmm. And if Best Buy rips people off like Pale mentioned previously, it means they have one less competitor now.

As they say, you sew what you rip.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2009, 03:13:54 PM »
This all could've been in the Amazing Deals thread.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »
This all could've been in the Amazing Deals thread.

It would of been derailed by people being emo for CC employees just like the EGM thread.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2009, 03:25:33 PM »
NWR is above derailment.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2009, 03:45:49 PM »
NWR is above derailment.

Lets talk about politics.. for the love of God don't! uh oh, now we're taling about about religion sort of!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 03:48:41 PM by EasyCure »

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »
Games are 20% off

Offline SirSniffy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2009, 10:36:55 AM »
I swung by there yesterday, but unfortunately, I am in the NYC area...the discounts are not large enough to be any kind of real savings it merely negated the sales tax in many cases. Circuit City also raised the prices of many games to the original price. For example, The Last Remnant for Xbox360 is regularly $39.99. At CC they raised the price back to $59.99. In many cases, games that would normally be $29.99 now were raised to the original $39.99, - $59.99.

Also the selection of Nintendo Wii and other system games there was pretty atrocious. Lego Indiana Jones, Old Naruto games, Pixar movie games abound, so you see, is it really a deal? They also put the Wii game prices back to the original prices. I am hoping they go down to 50% at the very end, then it might be worthwhile for me.
On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2009, 12:51:18 PM »
I stopped by Circuit city yesterday, their prices aren't very good. When you take a DVD that everyone else sells for $15, mark it up to $22 and then give it a 20% discount, you are not giving a deal.

I was tempted to by a  Wiispeak for about $24 though.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2009, 01:08:21 PM »
I swung by there yesterday, but unfortunately, I am in the NYC area...the discounts are not large enough to be any kind of real savings it merely negated the sales tax in many cases. Circuit City also raised the prices of many games to the original price. For example, The Last Remnant for Xbox360 is regularly $39.99. At CC they raised the price back to $59.99. In many cases, games that would normally be $29.99 now were raised to the original $39.99, - $59.99.

Also the selection of Nintendo Wii and other system games there was pretty atrocious. Lego Indiana Jones, Old Naruto games, Pixar movie games abound, so you see, is it really a deal? They also put the Wii game prices back to the original prices. I am hoping they go down to 50% at the very end, then it might be worthwhile for me.

Weird, I haven't noticed any of that near me. The one in my town has almost no games left, and I was there about a week ago or so. If you can I suggest coming up to westchester and checking out the one in White Plains, ny. I was there 2 days ago and the game selection was still pretty big with some gems here and there. I was actually deciding on whether or not I should get one of like 5 games then and there so I don't risk coming back when the discount is greater but the games are gone.

They were:

Boom blox (39.99, not marked up)
Skate it
Rock band 2
Bully (29.99, also not marked up)

And maybe another game or 2 I can't remember. Also, although I have no interest in itj the Harvey Birdman game was actually reduced to a handwritten $16 and change, and I don't believe that was the price after the 20% discount.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2009, 01:38:13 PM »
My friend got Too Human for $30 at CC yesterday.  Compare that to a used cope at GameStop for $35.  Also, the GHWT bundle for Wii is down to about $150.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2009, 12:24:30 PM »
gestalt

This is a video game forum and I am outraged at your use of big words! And enraged too!

*rages around ragefully*
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2009, 03:06:46 PM »
That's not a big word.  It's just a rarely used German loanword (that doesn't mean the same thing in English as it does in German).  Floccinaucinihilipilification is a big word.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:09:06 PM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2009, 03:16:31 PM »
That's not a big word.  It's just a rarely used German loanword (that doesn't mean the same thing in English as it does in German).  Floccinaucinihilipilification is a big word.

Stop being a sesquipedalianist.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2009, 03:34:52 PM »
a

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2009, 03:40:49 PM »
You know, I should have gone with schadenfreude.  It's both a German loanword and a big word.  It's also pretty close to what I felt after reading decoyman's post.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2009, 03:47:49 PM »

Clearly, UPB, I meant "big" in the sense of "big people* words," not "words with many letters."

CLEARLY.

Oh, to rerail the thread, I wanted to say I am sad that CC is closing, because now BB is going to start reaping the rewards of Little Direct Competition.

Also, I think there should be an electronics/appliances/etc. retailer whose name can be shortened to AA, just for completion's sake.

*Also QUITE CLEARLY, I mean "big people" in the sense of "adults" – not "tall people."

... schadenfreude...

>:{
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2009, 03:50:11 PM »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2009, 03:53:26 PM »
Shop newegg.com

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2009, 04:02:36 PM »
you all suffer from Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

But certainly not hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.  (Honestly, I think this was coined overly long, even for humor value.  Sesquipedaliophobia would have been long enough for the joke and retained the meaning [fear of long words, if you couldn't work it out (see GP's post above)], not to mention avoided the hippopotamus confusion.)

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »
WOOOOOOO!

I got Bully (originaly 29.99) and Boom Blox (originaly 39.99) for 52.96!

ps games are 30% off :)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2009, 04:26:44 PM »
...aaaaaaaand there's officially nothing left that's worth buying, unless you don't have Guitar Hero 3 (even though with the 20% off at CC, it's still cheaper at Best Buy right now), or want to buy a used TV.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2009, 01:31:58 AM »
...aaaaaaaand there's officially nothing left that's worth buying, unless you don't have Guitar Hero 3 (even though with the 20% off at CC, it's still cheaper at Best Buy right now), or want to buy a used TV.

bought Skate It today (this better be good Daaman!) cuz it was the last copy. Too bad they don't have a standalone GHWT guitar, i'd totaly pick one up since those are (i think) 40% off.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2009, 02:29:38 PM »
Last Wednesday I went to the Circuit City that opened last year out of town. I swear going in was like going to a funeral, and I felt really bad for the employees who likely just started and will get fired soon.

Their games section was empty, save for Guitar Hero and Rock Band drum kits and guitars. They still had plenty of TVs and other stuff, but the games were gone.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2009, 12:19:10 AM »
Last Wednesday I went to the Circuit City that opened last year out of town. I swear going in was like going to a funeral, and I felt really bad for the employees who likely just started and will get fired soon.

Their games section was empty, save for Guitar Hero and Rock Band drum kits and guitars. They still had plenty of TVs and other stuff, but the games were gone.

really ? I haven't been in 2 weeks, but I wouldn't buy a new game ONLY for 30% off, I would wait until 50% plus.

I do agree how sad it was in the store. Last time I went this guy was just sitting in a chair next to the doors. I think they were paying him, but he didn't care I don't think the company cares if he is sitting around doing nothing they just need to have people not steal stuff. They said that buying a new HDTV or PC Monitor will be difficult.

However the TV's they have that showcase ads will be DIRT CHEAP and last things to go since they are used. I wouldn't mind picking up one of those TV's or Display models as long as they work.

I'm going to do my taxes next weekend, I hope some money back and maybe buy a new monitor within a month. I have a big fatty heavy monitor, thats huge and takes up 50% of the desk and its a hassle to move around every 3 or so months at end of the semesters. Anyway I want a widescreen nicer one since they are cheap like $160 or something.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »

really ? I haven't been in 2 weeks, but I wouldn't buy a new game ONLY for 30% off, I would wait until 50% plus.

Well I hope you enjoy Imagine Babyz Party and Agatha Christy games cuz thats all that'll be left by then...

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2009, 10:08:17 PM »
SCORE. My brother says he picked up Okami for 60% off.  SIXTY.  WIN.  DEAL GET.

Unfortunately I will not be able to play it for a long time =(
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2009, 10:18:14 PM »
WHoooooa! thats fucking amazing! the game was cheap to begin with, geez i dont get paid till thursday! If they already went up to 60% on games before the weekend then i might be screwed!

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »
i will check it out sooner than later. i might be able to pick up a cheap ds game. It just seems crazy that people would buy a game 20% off when 2 weeks later that game will be 40% off. Just wait and than come in with huge sales.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2009, 08:56:38 PM »
Anyone know what % off the cd's and games are at now?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2009, 09:56:46 PM »
i will check it out sooner than later. i might be able to pick up a cheap ds game. It just seems crazy that people would buy a game 20% off when 2 weeks later that game will be 40% off. Just wait and than come in with huge sales.

But unless you stay on top of things and check the store out constantly, you might not end up with any GOOD games to pick from when they do reach 40-50% off... I went in one day after work and tallied all the potential games i would want to take home, out of all the stuff they had my list only consisted of 6 games. Out of those 6 games half had less than 2 copies left in the store. Would you wait a week or two until the discounts got better and risk missing your chance of buying the game you want? Or would you settle for a little less of a discount, because its better than none at all?

Like i said before, i hope you enjoy picking up Hannah Montana and Babyz Party for half off or more.

Anyone know what % off the cd's and games are at now?

Last check in my area, Sunday, Games were 30% off and cd's were like 25%. I'll check in tomorrow and friday and update this thread (like i have been every weekend now). Game accessories are STILL 30% off. The two CC's around me only have some wiimote skins and 3rd party sensor bars left, as far as accessories go.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2009, 11:43:07 PM »
I haven't been to CC yet so I don't know what percentage games have been discounted, Okami may have been a fluke or something.  Either way, awesome.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2009, 09:43:43 AM »
I looked through my local store's selection, there wasn't much left. I was there looking at TVs which, even with the discount were significantly more expensive than the ones at Best Buy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »
today i went and plenty of stuff actually for my store. Games still only at 40%.

I picked up Looney Tunes Duck Amuck for $11 which is a fair price.

I found a copy of Castlevania Order of Eclasia or whatever and that would have been $17.99 but I hide it and I'll pick it up later. They have like 30 copies of Zelda Phantom Hourglass BTW. I might pick up a copy of it if the price is right. I was actually looking for Animal Crossing for DS but nothing, oh well.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:35:59 PM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2009, 12:23:06 AM »
Thought I would bump this because March 8th is the final day for Circuit City.
So this weekend is your last chance!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2009, 12:59:21 AM »
Thx for the reminder, may as well stop in.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2009, 10:17:23 AM »
Thought I would bump this because March 8th is the final day for Circuit City.
So this weekend is your last chance!

i went to store near me and they had 6 days left or whatever. i was shocked it was so soon so i went in. Didn't find anything I wanted. no games, no dvd's expect "i am legend" and only rap cd's left. I left without anything. Oh well

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2009, 02:34:42 PM »
I'm going today to see what's left. The store is right down the street from my house, so I'm going to try and get some free stuff when they close.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »
Yesterday was the last day for the store near me.  All they had were a bunch of random cables and remotes from floor displays.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2009, 05:36:11 PM »
The store near me closed weeks ago. I think they moved all of the stuff to a more popular location.