Author Topic: Overlord II (360/PS3/PC)  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Overlord II (360/PS3/PC)
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:08:51 PM »
ANOTHER Overlord game!  Too much awesome for me to handle after finding out about the upcoming Wii version!  Unlike the more fantasy/fairy tale-inspired Wii version, however, this game will have a more "realistic" backdrop (in a very loose sense, looking at the screens), with the story focused around a Romanesque empire taking over the world...Minions will have more varied abilities, such as being able to mount creatures and use other tools of war...

More info and screens here!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Overlord II (360/PS3/PC)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 08:28:33 PM »
Maybe by the time this game comes out, I'll have a computer capable of running it. I don't want to have to pray that it chugs along like the first one did when I bought it even though I knew I was under minimum requirements.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:37:52 AM »
I hope it doesn't lose the sense of humor from the first game. The screens look awesome.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 12:19:10 PM »
Nice.  I picked up the original for PC on the cheap a couple months ago, and I like it a lot.  I saw a lot of comparisons to Pikmin, but when I played it I thought it felt a lot more like The Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 08:04:37 PM »
Is this game at all like Dungeon Keeper?
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 12:13:30 AM »
I never played Dungeon Keeper, but it really does play similar to Pikmin. Minions fly out spawn portals and you guide them around with the second analog stick. Attacking things like sheep for power ups, swarming enemies and picking up treasures with a certain amount of minions and carrying them pack to the portal. Red minions can pass through fire, Blue Minions can pass through water, etc. The art/story  style is similar to Fable and the characters are takes-offs of Lord of the Rings characters. For example the Halfling hero has went greedy and fat and the villagers want you to go into the Hobbit style houses and take him out. The writing reminds me of  Discworld, but that makes sense considering Terry Pratchett's daughter Rhianna wrote the story.

Offline Gamejunkie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 06:38:34 AM »

People did compare it to Dungeon Keeper when the original was first released. As I've never played Dungeon Keeper I couldn't really confirm that myself.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 09:45:59 AM »
Thanks for the info ShyGuy.

People did compare it to Dungeon Keeper when the original was first released. As I've never played Dungeon Keeper I couldn't really confirm that myself.

I might have to give this a look. DK had a system not unlike Viva Pinata in the way different creatures were attracted to your dungeon. Having flies would attract spiders, while libraries attract warlocks. Awesome game.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 01:10:53 PM »
Dungeon Keeper is about building a dungeon.  Overlord is about venturing out of it to wreak havoc.  They're only similar in that you play as the bad guy and heroes are your villains.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 02:01:47 AM »
Well Overlord 2 has come out, who is getting it? I'm going to pick it up for PC, but I cannot decide if I want the Wii prequel too. BTW consider this bump a Bill tribute for loving such an AWESOME series.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 02:27:37 AM »
From what I can tell:

Overlord 1: Lord of the Rings satire
Overlord 0 (wii): Fairy tale spoofs
Overlord 2: Norse Mythology inspired?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 02:32:38 AM »
From what I can tell:

Overlord 1: Lord of the Rings satire
Overlord 0 (wii): Fairy tale spoofs
Overlord 2: Norse Mythology inspired?

I may get the Wii version after all if has fairy tale spoofs!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 02:37:58 AM »
Well Overlord 2 has come out, who is getting it? I'm going to pick it up for PC, but I cannot decide if I want the Wii prequel too. BTW consider this bump a Bill tribute for loving such an AWESOME series.

I played a bit of the PS3 demo today, and it reminds me a lot of that underwhelming Gobling Commander game I played on the GameCube, just with a more satirical bent.  I only played a few minutes of it, so I can't really judge it but I didn't see anything particularly special...especially since I played a little Disgaea 3 right before it which has much better "evil" humor.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 03:41:00 AM »

I played a bit of the PS3 demo today, and it reminds me a lot of that underwhelming Gobling Commander game I played on the GameCube, just with a more satirical bent.  I only played a few minutes of it, so I can't really judge it but I didn't see anything particularly special...especially since I played a little Disgaea 3 right before it which has much better "evil" humor.

Why don't you get the original one, you can probably find it for pretty cheap. Personally I love the humor and the gameplay.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 03:58:14 AM »

Why don't you get the original one, you can probably find it for pretty cheap. Personally I love the humor and the gameplay.

I'll think about it.  My backlog's pretty booked as it is right now, so I've been trying to clear that out lately.  I just finished Final Fantasy 9 last week and Psychonauts over the weekend, and I just started a game on Grandia III to get that out of the way as well.  Then there's Persona 4 waiting in the wings (which I haven't played in such a long time I'll probably need to start a new game on), plus all the PS3 games I still need to finish (Silent Hill Homecoming, Valkyria Chronicles, Fallout 3, Infamous, etc.).

Oh yeah, and there's that $100 Batman game coming in August, and me without a job right now.   :'(

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 02:25:35 PM »
Well, GP, I did go back and download the demo for the first Overlord and played through it.  Well, it's Evil Pikmin, and that's just fine with me.   ;D  Pity finances are so tight, or I'd probably go pick the first game up since it's only $20.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »
Well I definitely understand the backlog argument. Really I do suggest you pick up Overlord 1 (I think it has the expansion pack to for PS3 included), if you like it, you'll like Overworld 2 because it follows the same formula for the most part just some new things. Overlord was one of those games that was a sleeper hit, I was an early adopter because I got excited for it  after experiencing the demo.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 02:30:36 PM by GoldenPhoenix »