Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3140699 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5250 on: December 31, 2011, 04:21:09 AM »
@chozo
The earliest something like that would see the light of day would be right about when we start talking 3DS successor, so not until 2015 assuming all remains good on the 3DS front.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: December 31, 2011, 04:43:00 AM »
Man, if only there was an expansion port on the Wii U controller... that you could add a sort of "cpu+battery" pack to so the thing could go untethered from the console...

I don't want to give Nintendo any ideas here, but look at what they did with the 3DS with the dual analog addon shell thing which interfaces with the 3DS wirelessly. In theory Nintendo could create a similar shell which could snap onto the Wii U tablet controller and this shell could have the CPU and RAM andstuff and then beam that content to the screen which it is snapped onto. I really don't think that should be done, but I guess it could be.
is your sanity...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: December 31, 2011, 07:30:46 PM »
But I do hope they opt for an SD card slot in the tablet if they intend for us to travel with this thing to a friends house so that we can bring our saves, Mii's, and even our apps/games with us to share with a friend while visiting.

From what I remember at E3, the Wii U tablet will have built-in flash memory for the purpose of saves and Miis.  I wouldn't count on the ability to share games, though...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: January 02, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »
Nintendo building a full on App Store for Wii U!?
let's all hope Nintendo is finally ready to dive in headfirst into the deep end. No more baby steps.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/12/29/122911-tech-gaming-wii-appstore/

Looks like Engadget is reporting on this rumor now too

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/02/nintendo-plans-improved-app-store-for-wii-u-looks-to-serve-appl/
Unless you go through the '80s-style "becoming super cool" montage, the other app stores won't respect you. Nintendo seems to be in this mindset, as a source has stated that it's creating an app store for its upcoming Wii U controller that goes "far beyond" the online stores the company currently provides for its DSi and Wii consoles. According to The Daily, the new gaming system, which is set to launch in the second half of 2012, will be able to use apps that operate on the controller itself, much like iOS and Android-based tablets.

So now the apps will operate on the tablet... or more likely specifically for just the tablet and not be displayed on the TV.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5254 on: January 02, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »
The original rumor said some apps would run on the Wii U controller too, so Engadget is not adding anything new. They are basically just re-writing the original rumor and posting it on their site.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: January 02, 2012, 04:36:01 PM »
If Nintendo is going to put apps on the Wii U then Swap Note is a given.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: January 02, 2012, 04:40:11 PM »
lets hope so.

it better be cross platform too.
with improvements that I will go mention in the swapnote thread >HERE<.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:26:53 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Wii U eReader & iOS Apps!?
« Reply #5257 on: January 02, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »
Lets add some more meat to this rumor so that NWR might finally report it ;)

Nintendo is looking to bring eBooks, magazines and iOS content to the Wii U
http://wiiublog.com/blog/2012/1/3/rumor-nintendo-is-looking-to-bring-ebooks-magazines-and-ios.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
Mike Gwilliam of Forget the Box has shared that the company a friend of his in Los Angeles works for has been approached by Nintendo and they apparently:

"...offered them assistance in porting and publishing some software from iOS to the Wii U so it can be played on the Wii U’s touchscreen controller."

There is also talk that:

"Nintendo is planning to launch a digital e-reader type service where you can download books, magazines, newspapers, comics, and other publications to your Wii U console."

This feature would also apparently extend to the 3DS, and the comparison is made that this would be similar to how the iPad and the iPhone share similar functionality. Other content that could also (supposedly) come to the platform includes strategy guide and instruction booklets for virtual console games (meaning, you'd have digital copies of the original booklets included with NES and SNES games etc).

Apparently, Nintendo is also "interested in making every single issue of Nintendo Power (from 1988 to currently) available for download to be read on the Wii U’s touchscreen controller."
(edit: Source - http://www.forgetthebox.net/mag/culture/forum-m/nintendo-e-readers.php )

If this turns out to be true then there has to be some widespread rebuilding of confidence in Nintendo going around.
This is just the type of thing that they need to do; not limit what the tech is capable of and let it do all that it is capable of.

MS & Sony have steered the home console in the direction it was destined to evolve to and Nintendo needs to adapt to that. You want us to turn the Wii U on every day and to capture the non-gamer and gamer alike, then this is exactly the place to start.

edit: As far as the Nintendo Power thing goes, it would be nice if it was free for all ClubN members, but it would also be pretty cool if you could use points to subscribe every year. Something like 500 Coins for a year long digital subscription wouldn't be bad either.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:36:00 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Retro's using Unreal Engine!?
« Reply #5258 on: January 03, 2012, 12:17:46 AM »
Also looks like The Paul Gale Network is teasing some Wii U & 3DS news to be revealed soon.

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/12/31/as-this-year-ends-paul-gale-network-has-one-last-tease-for-you-a-2012-shocker/
I do have some more stories in the pipeline for next year, and I’ll try to get one in particular out in January.  The one I have in mind is huge and should be a real crowd pleaser.  Before I share what it is though, I have to confirm a few things.  I’ll give you a couple of hints in the fashion that I did for Title Fight…shortly.  For now, know that it’s for Wii U and 3DS.  Thank you and here’s to 2012!

Hopefully it's something interesting.

and on a slightly related note, since TPGN is the one who rumored "Retro is working on something that we all want them to", here is some Retro related news.

Metroid Prime 1-3 was supposedly done using UE2 (a heavily modified version) and they may still be using UE for Wii U. It was also rumored that the bird demo from E3 was done on UE but no one would/could confirm the engine or the developer. Could it have been Retro on UE that made the bird demo from E3? Maybe someone from NWR will ask them at the next opportunity they get.

edit: forgot to put the word "supposedly" in the news since I can't verify it
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:40:07 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: January 03, 2012, 01:10:46 AM »
Metroid Prime used it's own engine, wasn't a modified Epic engine at all. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: January 03, 2012, 01:41:07 AM »
How do you know? This person says they can verify in the source files, but I did edit the last post because I forgot the word "supposedly" since it hasn't been confirmed that that is true.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: January 03, 2012, 01:52:15 AM »
yeah, if Retro wants people to make you think it made its own engine all it has to do is make an agreement with Epic. No wonder the Metroid engine wasn't used in everything. If i remember correctly didn't Wind Waker use a middleware engine?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: January 03, 2012, 02:54:58 AM »
Falls down, middleware?  Nintendo's KNOWN for it's own engines and not sharing with ANYBODY, (hense why they claim they are now "working" with developers meaning they are finally starting to open up a bit for the 3ds and WII U). 

Just becaues the used the same Maya modeling software doesn't mean much.  That's like saying everything that uses Word pad is the same :0. 

If Retro's making an new FPS-engine if nintendo would lease it for the WII U--not only would that get "exclusive" games but would also speed up developement time as well.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: January 03, 2012, 09:48:35 AM »
I was under the impression that Retro Studios, like Nintendo, used their own engines. I don't know for sure or even care but that was what I always thought.

Even though i'd love to see something new from Retrp Studios, I'd be pretty happy if they were working on a new 2D Mario for the Wii U launch. I absolutely loved Super Mario 3D Land and EAD Tokyo should certainly keep making Mario games but if puting Mario im the hands of Retro Studios is what it takes to launch with Mario, I'd fully support that decision.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: January 03, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »
All I know is that at some point Retro was having development issues where Miyamoto upended every tea table in the building and scrapped just about everything.

Now I'm not saying that they quietly licensed UE2 and then heavily modified it, but to save another year of development hell and get a product on track for release, it's possible they had to get an engine from somewhere and I haven't heard of the SM64 engine being modified for Metroid like it was for a bunch of other 3D Nintendo games (SMS, SMG/SG2 & I think Pikmin and a few more).
UE2 was popular at the time and something that the devs were probably familiar with, so it would make sense if it was something they were considering.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5265 on: January 03, 2012, 11:17:32 AM »
I need NP 1-32 to get the ones I care about.  I was just thinking the other day of trying to finish my collection.

Also if they are thinking of getting iOS ports a lot of those need Multi-touch.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:21:05 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
Also if they are thinking of getting iOS ports a lot of those need Multi-touch.

Maybe that's a hint *wink*wink*

p.s. There are resistive multi-touch screens

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Sega All-Star Racing 2? Wii U
« Reply #5267 on: January 21, 2012, 12:15:06 PM »
Sega All-Star Racing 2 on the way?
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2012/01/rumour-sonic-sega-all-stars-racing-sequelremix-in-the-works/
We have received word from a tipster, who wishes to remain anonymous, that a new Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing game could be on the way. Our tipster recently spoke to a high ranking staff member at development studio Sumo Digital, and when queried about new projects, the developer gave the below reply.

“Now working on another title for Sega on 3DS, VITA and WiiU. [The] title we are working on is top secret but the last game we did for them was Sonic And Sega All-Star Racing, so the logical conclusion would be… â€

While the game could be a sequel to 2010′s Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, there is also a possibility, given the platforms, that it could be a remixed version of the first game with new characters & courses specifically tailored to Wii U, 3DS & Vita. But having said that, the tipster informs us that the developer told them months ago that they will be doing no more additional work on the first game.

The Sonic Stadium has received proof of the discussion and the Sumo Digital source in question and have confirmed the authenticity of both. But, as the game has not been officially announced by SEGA and things can often change dramatically behind the scenes, we’re posting this up as rumour for now.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:33:12 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: January 21, 2012, 03:11:48 PM »
F-Zero GX2!  Quite possibly the most impressive racing game that no one bought, but it would make an awesome title on an engine with more horsepower.  Yessir!
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5269 on: January 21, 2012, 07:30:36 PM »
F-Zero GX2!  Quite possibly the most impressive racing game that no one bought, but it would make an awesome title on an engine with more horsepower.  Yessir!

Since Vita is one of the platforms for this rumored game, we know that it is not a F-Zero game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: January 21, 2012, 10:41:56 PM »
Nintendo's online equal to that of Microsoft and Sony?

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/01/21/nintendo-network-to-rival-xbox-live-and-psn/

A source that wished to remain anonymous has told us that Nintendo will launch a website accessible from any web browser that will handle configuration of your Nintendo Network account for use on the Wii U or 3DS. He also stated that Nintendo Network will include many new features that haven’t been used before by Nintendo. According to his accounts: Nintendo Network = Sony PSN = Xbox Live.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: January 21, 2012, 11:19:56 PM »
I'm trying very hard not to get my hopes up, but I want to believe.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: January 21, 2012, 11:24:44 PM »
In order for it to be equal to PSN or Xbox Live there must be Trophy/Achievement support.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5273 on: January 22, 2012, 01:29:16 AM »
Nintendo's online equal to that of Microsoft and Sony?

****, it needs to.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: January 22, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »
So jaded, cannot believe.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;