Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3141759 times)

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5200 on: December 16, 2011, 04:26:36 PM »
I doubt Nintendo would want to split its message with the Wii U coming out.  The New Nintendo Product should be the Wii U.  Not a 3DS Revision.
agreed. I would be very surprised if the 3ds revision comes out in 2012. 2013 seems more likely.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: December 16, 2011, 04:39:49 PM »
If they wanted to wait till after the holiday season (after Xmas present return time window has expired) then we wouldn't hear about it until CES in January.

But either way, announcement/reveal to release will be a very short period of time and I doubt it will be right after E3.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: December 16, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »
I could see them showing a revision at GDC then launching it in March.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5203 on: December 16, 2011, 04:51:32 PM »
GDC would be a likely choice, but I don't know if they'd make a move that quickly since sales have picked up significantly, and it's doing much better than the DS was.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: December 16, 2011, 04:52:10 PM »
If the Wii U launches 2012 Holiday I don't see a 3DS revision be promoted til 2013 and released after April.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5205 on: December 16, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »
GDC would be a likely choice, but I don't know if they'd make a move that quickly since sales have picked up significantly, and it's doing much better than the DS was.

I think Stogi was talking about GDC 2013. If not, that's what I'd predict.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: December 16, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »
The DS lite and the WII released the same year and it didn't effect anything.  Also since nintendo continues to say no to multiple tablets for the WII U doesn't mean it can't have one tablet with multiple 3DS hook up.  The only difference (after you install the 2nd circle pad) would be the resolution.  Again I bet to see a couple of games using that method at e3 as well.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: December 16, 2011, 06:06:04 PM »
Wii and DS Lite launched 6 months apart. I think the concern is releasing a 3DS revision and Wii U within 2-3 months of each other or even sooner. I can see that being a problem. I certainly couldn't take the financial hit by getting both within such a short period of time. I probably couldn't pull that off in 6 months but that's far more likely. Back in 2006, I bought both DS Lite and Wii but I don't live my parents anymore so...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5208 on: December 16, 2011, 07:38:48 PM »
8 months apart.
I don't see a revision coming out earlier than 2013 either, the system just recently started picking up steam and is selling better than DS did at this same point in its lifespan.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: December 16, 2011, 08:22:03 PM »
I think it's very likely that at the time of the rumor Nintendo was planning a 3DS revision for 2012, but sales have picked up quite a bit since then and unless they really drop off it would make sense for them to reconsider that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: December 16, 2011, 08:37:24 PM »
GBA and GameCube launched five months apart, in the US at least. And that wasn't even a revision.

What would a 3DS revision add if not a second slide pad and two more shoulder buttons? Unlike with the original DS, the 3DS doesn't need a change of form.

I don't think a better battery would require a revision, let alone be reason enough for most people to buy a whole new system just for that. The manual for the 3DS describes how to replace the battery, so it's something that can be done by the user easily enough were Nintendo to release a stand-alone battery with longer charge life.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: December 16, 2011, 08:41:59 PM »
I think it would be screens/chips that use less power rather than just a better battery (and hopefully reorganizing the interior so that a bigger battery would fit without a form factor change). Of course, the 3DS is uncomfortable to hold, so there is room for improvement on the form factor front.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: December 16, 2011, 08:45:55 PM »
How can they make it more comfortable without increasing its size and therefore reducing portability? I mean, people say even with the Circle Pad Pro it still isn't very comfortable, and that thing's huge. Other than turning it into a shape of a home system controller, with grips and everything, I don't see a way of increasing the comfort. Though to be fair, I've never used a handheld device I thought was anything other than extremely uncomfortable, so clearly they don't suit my preferences.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: December 16, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »
I do not own a 3DS, but here are some ideas for the revision:

A smaller circle pad on the right side of the console below the buttons.
A matte finish to reduce dust attraction and finger print accumulation.
Stronger should buttons and hinges.
A bigger top screen to better accomodate stereoscopic 3D.
Better speakers.
And most of all, a better battery that doubles the current battery life of the console.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: December 16, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »
8 months apart.
In Japan. It was closer to 5 months (June 11 to November 19) in the US which was what I was referring to since I specifically mentioned buying a DS Lite and Wii in 2006. I did buy them about 6 months apart because I bought DS Lite the day it launched and I was on the Wii waiting list at Gamecrazy for 2-3 weeks.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: December 16, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »
How can they make it more comfortable without increasing its size and therefore reducing portability?
I don't know that they can much. The Wii U controller is very comfortable, and I remember the original Game Boy being pretty comfortable. My 3DS is a lot more comfortable than it would be because I have a higher capacity battery. The commonality is that they are all thicker. If they could make the top screen thinner, they could make the bottom thicker. And if they could figure out how to move the controls up a bit more from the bottom, that would help.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: December 17, 2011, 04:17:54 AM »
I have to disagree, unless a game gets announced before E3 2012 that REQUIRES the CCP to be used, I don't think it will be included with the system itself since it would be an unnecessary added expense for Nintendo.

You can disagree all you want, but it will happen. I'd bet you money on it because I know it will happen.

Half of that rumor has already happened, so there's no reason to doubt the other half. Plus even without the rumor it just makes sense.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5217 on: December 17, 2011, 04:45:24 AM »
No it doesn't. Because now all you've divided your install base. You've got people with the revised system that has 4 shoulder buttons (like the CCP) as well as dual analogue, people who got the CCP and those that didn't. The first two groups might be fine if the second can tolerate now having to have CCP because developers might assume everyone has the features. Then there's the last group who is basically going to be forced to either use the attachment or buy a new system. Some might just say **** it and be done with the whole thing.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: December 17, 2011, 05:05:11 AM »
It doesn't divide the install base. Whoever has the old 3DS model can upgrade their system with the attachment and it becomes exactly the same in functionality as the revision. The only difference is it will look uglier and require a battery, but in every functional way it is identical.
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: December 17, 2011, 05:21:18 AM »
Most games that are going require the addon will have it bundled I'm guessing.  As for making it larger, not really--the reason the addon is so bulky is because it was an afterthought.  If they do it right it should be only slighter larger than it is now and maybe a tad thicker but they can easily get double the battery life and have the circle pad with extra triggers as default.  The 3DS has a tiny 1350 battery but 2500ohms ones are just a few cents more to make and would just about double your play time (6-10hrs compared to 3-5 standard). 

Right now there's alot of negatives about the addon, for one it blocks your port for your games, so you have to take it apart each time you want to switch?  Hell it even blocks the stylus hideaway.  Not to mention is doesn't fit 3DS's other addon like battery packs.  Not sure if it's going be revised but as it stands now it's not very ideal for most.  It's also ugly as sin and only comes in one color which doesn't even match the 3DS Black Matel finish. 

Two, Sony Vita is set to release next year and so an reversion of the 3ds would be make both systems "fresh" so to speak.   

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5220 on: December 17, 2011, 05:24:16 AM »
It doesn't divide the install base. Whoever has the old 3DS model can upgrade their system with the attachment and it becomes exactly the same in functionality as the revision. The only difference is it will look uglier and require a battery, but in every functional way it is identical.

yeah as long as the attachment is available this is  true. There are Motion+ controllers with motion+ built in, and then there are separate attachments that add motion+, and that hasn't had a negative effect on the base. The 3ds is going to need a revision sometime in its lifetime too boost sales anyhow. So, there it is. Nintendo did it a bunch with the original DS. You got DS phat, ds lite, dsi , dsi XL.

also, those complaining about asymetic gameplay wont be able to if 3ds+ has an extra joystick, and unlike the Wii u remote the 3ds has some power behind it, so it doesn't just download the video from the Wii U, all it needs to do is download level data from big brother and approximate the graphics.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:28:12 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5221 on: December 17, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »
How many games use Motion+? Not very many at all? A lot of the games that do had to come with the damn thing at least at first. The good part was that if you had multiple WiiMotes (which was highly likely) then you could use the extra WM+s. The problem is that if games come out for the CPP, you either need to cough up the $20 or wait for a bundle. Games that require the CPP will practically have to have a bundle option for at least a while, and having extras helps nobody except maybe UncleBob.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: December 17, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »
The thing is, I don't know if any game will ever straight-up require the CPP. The Motion+ did things that weren't at all possible with the standard remote, but a second analog can be made to work, if awkwardly, with the touch screen or some other method. There will be games that really should be played with a CPP, but they'll always offer an option to play without it.

Think Classic Controller, not Motion+.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: December 18, 2011, 05:13:22 AM »
need to cough up the $20

Not a huge hurdle. And some games did offer bundles with it (Goldeneye, for example).

But I wish Nintendo had bundled the classic controller with the Wii console so everyone would have it at purchase. If they had done that more games would have made use of it more. I think they left it out deliberately so as to encourage/force developers to shoehorn the gimmicky motion control into their games even if it didn't make sense. Had the CC been bundled with the console developers might have been more inclined to develop traditional games on the Wii.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: December 18, 2011, 05:36:31 AM »
I think they left it out deliberately so as to encourage/force developers to shoehorn the gimmicky motion control into their games even if it didn't make sense.

That's most likely exactly what they did. At the time they had good reason to worry that if the CC came bundled a lot of developers wouldn't even bother trying to use motion control. If Nintendo had known how popular motion control would be I think they probably would have included a classic controller, but if Nintendo really had known that I'm pretty sure the Wii would be a radically different console.

J.P. Corbran