Author Topic: E3 2019  (Read 18050 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2019
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 09:43:32 PM »
Final Fantasy VII remakes looks good. Tifa is significantly more modestly endowed. Looks like she’ll have to rely on her personality now...

People are freaking out about how the remake is apparently being released as two parts, the first being Midgar which Square Enix is significantly expanding. Makes sense. It was a whole city you didn’t see that much of.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 09:48:30 PM »
Final Fantasy 7 looks great, but I'm concerned at how limited the combat will be if they're confining the 1st release to just Midgar and then the 2nd release to everything else.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 10:05:23 PM »
Final Fantasy VIII finally getting remastered. I’m in. It’s the only original PlayStation Final Fantasy I didn’t play.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:10:59 PM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 10:20:49 PM »
Final Fantasy VIII finally getting remastered. I’m in. It’s the only original PlayStation Final Fantasy I didn’t play.

Congratulations. You'll finally get to play the 2nd-worst Final Fantasy game (behind FF2)!

Avengers looks like a scam. They won't show us what the actual gameplay is, and they're already talking "roadmaps" for additional content. I couldn't even tell by the footage they showed what KIND of game it is or how it plays. Plus, it's an online game, so **** that.

Square had some stuff to show. FF7 looks fantastic. I'm on. FF8 remastered is a thing people wanted. Avengers looks like a colossal scam, but a lucrative one. Crystal Chronicles remastered is a thing people think they want.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:23:24 PM by broodwars »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 10:33:41 PM »
I'll keep a passive eye on it but it seems they're going the 'games as a service' route which is worrisome.  They didn't outright confirm no microtransactions so my interest collapsed quite a bit.

I think there was a bit of gameplay scattered throughout that trailer but not enough to gauge anything about it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 11:08:46 PM »
PC Game show was okay, but nothing really wowed me. Shenmue 3 trailer seemed short.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 11:17:15 PM »
On the subject of Shenmue 3, I hope you weren't a Kickstarter backer for the PC version, because it's now an Epic Store Exclusive and Ys/Deep Silver are NOT offering refunds to PC backers if they don't want an Epic Store key.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 11:26:53 PM »
It was on Steam?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2019, 11:31:58 PM »
It was on Steam?

A physical disc with a Steam key was one of the backer rewards. If you go to the Kickstarter page, you'll probably still see it offered as a reward.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2019, 11:41:32 PM »
Aren't they contractually obligated fulfill those backer rewards at this point?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2019, 11:44:38 PM »

You would think so, but they've issued an official statement telling Steam-users to just deal with it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2019, 11:44:55 PM »
Watched Ubisoft. Boy, that was a bummer of a show. Glad they showed Gameplay for Watchdogs 3, but I remember the fiasco of the first gameplay videos for the original Watchdogs...

Gods and Monsters looks cool though.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2019, 11:47:30 PM »

You would think so, but they've issued an official statement telling Steam-users to just deal with it.

But, but, it's still on the Steam store! https://store.steampowered.com/app/878670/Shenmue_III/

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2019, 12:00:24 AM »

But, but, it's still on the Steam store! https://store.steampowered.com/app/878670/Shenmue_III/

I wouldn't expect it to stay there for long...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2532170

And yes, the Kickstarter comments are NOT happy.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2019, 12:11:02 AM »
I'm tempted to lend a hand in the protest. How should I report this to Kickstarter?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2019, 12:23:20 AM »
I'm tempted to lend a hand in the protest. How should I report this to Kickstarter?

Click on the "Report this Project to Kickstarter" button at the bottom of this page and fill out the info:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2019, 12:31:29 AM »
Oh man, people are ANGRY.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2019, 12:42:30 AM »
In case you wanted to see the original statements where Ys & Deep Silver refused to issue refunds for PC backers of Shenmue 3:

https://www.dualshockers.com/shenmue-3-iii-epic-games-store-steam-refund/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2019, 02:57:52 AM »
SE cant make good games anymore so they are just going to re-release old games. Re-releasing games  like The Last Revenant that are truly average shows they are already scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Everyone should have a run a mile from Shenmue 3 when Sony used their main e3 event to have fans fund it via kickstarter. It was destined to be shitshow from the start.

Shenmue 3 and FF7 remake "won Sony E3" FOUR YEARS AGO and these games have still not hit the market.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2019, 09:17:29 AM »
Congratulations. You'll finally get to play the 2nd-worst Final Fantasy game (behind FF2)!
I’m aware Squall is apparently a jerkass, and the Junction System is polarizing. I still want to play it, mostly out of principle. I only had enough money for one game back so I chose Final Fantasy VII (Greatest Hits version, ew). Sans-spoilers, why do you think it’s so bad?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »
I’m aware Squall is apparently a jerkass, and the Junction System is polarizing. I still want to play it, mostly out of principle. I only had enough money for one game back so I chose Final Fantasy VII (Greatest Hits version, ew). Sans-spoilers, why do you think it’s so bad?

- The story is convoluted, stupid, and poorly-written.
- The main villain isn't even mentioned until the last 20 minutes of the game, and she has no apparent reason for her master plan.
- The story features one of the most legendarily stupid plot twists/contrivances in the history of Final Fantasy, and that's saying something.
- Every single character who's not Quistis is a moron, and Squall is an emo asshole who's consistently a dick to his friends for really no explained reason.
- The combat is even grindier than Final Fantasy 2's. I hope you love drawing the same magic spells from enemies for hours...in a single battle!
- All the game's weapon upgrades and mamy of the drawable spells are blocked off by synthesizing Cards, so I hope you love playing DAYS of Triple Triad and following a guide so you know what cards to INTENTIONALLY lose so you can get a chance at winning the better ones.
- Because your stats are tied to the drawn magic you junction to them, you only get weaker when you actually USE magic, so you will never use any of the spells you draw for hours.
-Summons can take MINUTES to complete their animations, and if you want maximum effect you'll be mashing buttons while you watch. You summon a LOT since you never want yo use your spells.

The only praise I'll give FF8 is that it has one of the best soundtracks in the series.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2019, 11:08:54 AM »
Sadly I basically have to agree with everything Broodwars writes about FFVIII. It's a mess of a game, but just for the sake of throwing in a few positives:

+Soundtrack is very good.
+The first disc of content is honestly pretty decent, story-wise. (Admittedly this is mostly because you're in the dark about a lot of stuff and the eventual explanations are garbage.)
+Triple Triad, the internal card game, is really fun on Disc 1 as well if you're into simple cardgames at all. (They ruin it for you later on unless you follow a guide.)
+The idea of attaching magic to your stats is neat once it clicks. Fire magic works better for your attack stat, while putting Cure on hit points is a better idea, etc. I have many problems with the junctioning system (especially if you draw the magic from battles, and it makes characters largely interchangeable stat-wise).
+You get a lot of options to basically eliminate combat altogether.

Final Fantasy VIII is a game with really dense systems, the only way it becomes fun is to utterly break them as early as possible. Here's how you should play it: don't bother with random battles, experience points are worthless because enemy levels scale with you. Battles actively make the game harder for you, not easier. Don't bother drawing magic from enemies either, it takes forever. Don't do any summoning after you've seen the animation once or twice, it gets tedious.
Instead: win a few strategically chosen card battles, refine those cards into items, sell the items for outrageous prices. Now, with the world economy basically shattered a few hours in, you do the opposite; buy certain items in bulk, refine them all into magic spells, attach stupidly overpowered spells to your level 9 characters.

Voila, now you're slicing through bossfights with ease, and with ENC-NONE enabled you've completely removed random encounters from the game. Just gotta play some cardgames in specific spots, which is one of the better aspects of the game.
You're still playing a really dumb story with even dumber characters, but at least this way you can eliminate a lot of the gameplay quirks early on. Definitely be selective about sidequests too; I did them all like an idiot and spent 90 hours trudging around the game world when the game had stopped being fun 25 hours in.

So yeah, can't honestly recommend FF8 at all, but there's some compelling aspects you might like. I highly recommend this guide. It's crazy detailed and you definitely don't want to be doing everything here, but FF8 is one of those games where you really want a heads up about certain things.
The level scaling utterly ruined my first attempt at the game, basically locking me in one spot with 5 underleveled character and one main character you can't switch out who's used to determine enemy levels. Also, the game really hates you having fun with the card game and will try to introduce bullshit rules at every opportunity. This guide helped me avoid those unlike my first attempted playthrough.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2019, 01:13:37 PM »
LOL. You guys are raining on my excitement. I'll do some research. Maybe I'll wait until the game is $20.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2019, 01:24:32 PM »
LOL. You guys are raining on my excitement. I'll do some research. Maybe I'll wait until the game is $20.

I would definitely wait until they reveal what cheats will be enabled for this release. If you can skip 90% of the bullshit, I can see someone having fun with FF 8.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2019, 01:27:30 PM »
I expect at least a 2x/4x speed up option like in FFXII. That should help, right?