Author Topic: Eternal Darkness 2 Marketing Tactic: Reasons  (Read 37143 times)

Offline Zero

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Eternal Darkness 2 Marketing Tactic: Reasons
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2004, 06:24:32 AM »
HA HA HA, that was absolutely hilarious. . . . sigh, those crappy CDI games <wipes tear from eye>

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
RE:Eternal Darkness 2 Marketing Tactic: Reasons
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2004, 06:51:18 AM »
actually, that's from the zelda cartoon... a short found during the "Super Mario Bros. Super Show" starring Captain Lou Albino... i believe
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2004, 07:15:50 AM »
I think a lot of the "evidence" of this being a prank is pretty weak.  SK leaving Nintendo sucks so naturally we don't want to believe it so people are trying to prove it's not true.  Naturally if you want to find evidence of a hoax you're going to decide that insignificant stuff is significant.  It may be a coincedence that the PGC post was posted at 3:33 but since it's a neat coincedence people are going to claim it as proof of a hoax when it really doesn't prove anything at all.

I personally am going to assume that the news is legit.  It's better for me to believe that and be surprised if it turns out to be a hoax than to believe it's a hoax and be severely disappointed if it turns out it isn't.

If it is a hoax I wouldn't be surprised if neither PGC or IGN were directly involved.  Odds are Denis just called IGN to give them this "news" and PGC was the only other site to actually check the source.  I mean cut-and-paste jobs for news on game sites is pretty common.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2004, 07:32:16 AM »

Originally posted by: yellowfellow
actually, that's from the zelda cartoon... a short found during the "Super Mario Bros. Super Show" starring Captain Lou Albino... i believe

It's also in the Cd-I game(s)...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2004, 07:48:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I think a lot of the "evidence" of this being a prank is pretty weak.  SK leaving Nintendo sucks so naturally we don't want to believe it so people are trying to prove it's not true.  Naturally if you want to find evidence of a hoax you're going to decide that insignificant stuff is significant.  It may be a coincedence that the PGC post was posted at 3:33 but since it's a neat coincedence people are going to claim it as proof of a hoax when it really doesn't prove anything at all.

I personally am going to assume that the news is legit.  It's better for me to believe that and be surprised if it turns out to be a hoax than to believe it's a hoax and be severely disappointed if it turns out it isn't.

If it is a hoax I wouldn't be surprised if neither PGC or IGN were directly involved.  Odds are Denis just called IGN to give them this "news" and PGC was the only other site to actually check the source.  I mean cut-and-paste jobs for news on game sites is pretty common.

I agree with you. If it does turn out to be true it would be amazing and a great marketing ploy, but I doubt it is true

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2004, 09:19:02 AM »
I don't think anybody really believes it's true... it is after all a farfetched theory.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2004, 09:21:13 AM »
I do...And I'm rather strict with rumors...

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2004, 10:17:08 AM »
Oh how I would love for all of this to be a big, elaborate, joke meant to promote Eternal Darkness 2. Unfortunately, like a lot of other folks, I would rather believe Silicon Knights and Nintendo have parted ways than convince myself it is just a marketing ploy, a sanity effect if you will. If this is what it turns out to be, I will be more than thrilled, but until Silicon Knights says other-wise, I think it’s best to believe what has been reported.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2004, 11:50:10 AM »
In my opinion, the support for it being true is just as scant, if not more so, than that for it being a hoax. When you ignore what Denis has said (bear with me) and actually look at what's going on, the case for it being true is no more believable than the case for it being a hoax. It's 6 of one half a dozen the other at this point, if you ask me.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »
Wha- Hold on.  Who said that it wasn't a joke because PGC doesn't want to "ruin their rep" or whaev.  If them posting at 3:33 isn't coincidental thay would have to be in on the joke.  So either it's not a joke and all of these terrible threes are coincidental, or this is a big big inside joke and the jonnyboy over here really does know something.

wait.........sk and nintendo are splitting?! =O  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2004, 12:00:26 PM »

Originally posted by: SatansNemesis
If you go to their official web site ( www.siliconknights.com ) they say nothing about the break up.

Thought I'd point that out.
if you look under news, the last update to the page was may 1, 2003.  the last update before that was september 10, 2002.  apparently sk doesn't have the greatest webmaster in the world.

thought i'd point that out.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2004, 12:03:41 PM »

If them posting at 3:33 isn't coincidental thay would have to be in on the joke.

Why couldn't it just be a personal joke from whoever happened to post the article? Just because it was intentional doesn't mean PGC is in on the hoax, if this is one.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2004, 12:11:38 PM »
Argh.  I never thought about that.  I guess I'll never be a dectective....

If that's the case, we've got some tricksy hobbitses on this staff.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2004, 12:34:22 PM »
I don't think Johnny Boy would make light of the situation by doing that if the news was indeed true...But I don't live inside his head, so whatever...

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2004, 01:45:04 PM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu

If you go to their official web site ( www.siliconknights.com ) they say nothing about the break up.

if you look under news, the last update to the page was may 1, 2003.  the last update before that was september 10, 2002.  apparently sk doesn't have the greatest webmaster in the world.

Like someone mentioned on another forum, Twin Snakes was important enough that SK updated their site. I think them breaking from Nintendo would also be important enough for them to take the Nintendo logo down, and besides, it would only take seconds.

Offline savanna03

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2004, 02:16:01 PM »

Originally posted by: the_zombie_luke

Originally posted by: kingvudu

Like someone mentioned on another forum, Twin Snakes was important enough that SK updated their site. I think them breaking from Nintendo would also be important enough for them to take the Nintendo logo down, and besides, it would only take seconds.

EXACTLY... remember the RARE fiasco???  RARE updated their site right away and so is NINTENDO.com after they parted ways.  but in this situatiom, IGN is the only site that are aware of this situation.  it is too strange to let it go and beside, it would be stupid to wait for E3 to make an official announcement.

back to IGN, they knew RARE was leaving but they put it under rumour until NINTENDO made it official.  but in this case IGN made it a news before NINTENDO made it an official... this doesn't add up.  shouldn't a company call a press conference first before any publication could report the news.  that bothers me.  all we know that IGN contact DYACK and a NINTENDO REPRESENTATIVE for the news but it doensn't sound official to me.  not just yet.

also, i dont think stock would affect both companies because there are no official announcement.  until there are no press conferrence, i aint sold yet.
even in the message board, ppl seem 2 be intimidated by me.  it feels like im da slim shady him self 'cuz they had 2 use a microscope everytime i post...  blah they got nothing on me other than attacking my paragraphs...

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2004, 04:38:34 PM »

Originally posted by: stinkypete
WHOA !!!

Did anyone else see this ???

The thread about the ED fansites went ballistic and just disapeared.
something creepy going on... or maybe this is an insanity effect!!!

BTW, this is the second thread about SK that gets eaten...

umm.. It was just moved somewhere more appropriate: http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=18&threadid=8799

And I'm tired of keeping my mouth shut, so I'll spill the beans here.  The story is TRUE to the best of our knowledge.  If anyone is playing a hoax, it's Denis, but I really doubt that he is.

3:33 was absolutely pure coincidence.  Jonny didn't know that was the timestamp until HOURS later when someone pointed it out to him.

We haven't said anything until now because this whole conspiracy theory is just way too funny, and Jonny thought he'd sit back and watch while everyone went off the deep end.

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2004, 04:42:25 PM »
TEH DARKNES IS SO FRIGGIN COMING LIKE YOU KNOW WHATAM I RITE?

Well, IF everything mentioned in this or other threads on the subject is pure conicidence, then I still believe there is SOME evil force at work (Denis eats sandwiches omg).  I think an evil version of Popeye the sailor man has infiltrated you so-damn-pwnd box.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO POPEYE

(and my mommy doens't allow me in the deep end =o)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2004, 04:45:06 PM »
I'm still waiting for that press release from Nintendo...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2004, 05:08:40 PM »
Dan: PLEASE, if you think it's so funny, give me some reasons it's true! All signs point to no! This doesn't make sense! Right now I'm middle of the road- I won't believe it's true until SK releases a game on the PS2 or XBox and I won't believe it's fake until Nintendo and SK say it themselves and release another Gamecube game. Do you really know anything we don't?

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2004, 05:12:15 PM »
I think some people need to go outside and get some fresh air!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2004, 05:14:56 PM »
Neh, too muggy here in Kansas- very unchatacteristic of the state. If it were true, though, you'd expect to have more to go off of than Denis Dyack saying something. I mean, if Denis said that SK was making their own console and all you had to go off of was his word, would you believe it? Because at this point that has about as much proof as them leaving Nintendo.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2004, 05:26:29 PM »
I THINK ALL OUR BASE ARE BELONG TO DENIS NOW
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2004, 05:27:43 PM »
Seriously guys, we have to stop thinking this is a hoax, and start just hoping that games like ED2 and Too Human will be multiplatform.  I'm just still worried MS bought them out or something like the current batch of Bioware rumors.  :-/
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2004, 05:30:20 PM »
Apparently, a Nintendo spokesperson confirmed it, too.  I think Matt's new theory in the IGN mailbag has some weight.
Dan: Has PGC spoken with Nintendo yet?  Because obviously the president of a company can't be taken at his word.
Kiss the Cynic!