Author Topic: Factor 5 Drops Nintendo!  (Read 13370 times)

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Factor 5 Drops Nintendo!
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2004, 02:49:31 PM »

Factor 5 didn't drop the Gamecube, LucasArts did.
Actually, MC, they're right; Factor 5 did drop GameCube, that's what the news is about.  LA dropped GameCube development about two weeks ago.  

I will, thank you. Nintendo still owns Pilot Wings. I'm relieved it won't be developed by Factor 5, I'm more confident if it would fell in Japanese hands.
Actually, that's the point.  Chances are Factor 5 still is developing Pilotwings.

Edit: Paladin, the reason for the news is that Factor 5 dropped the possibility that they would create more titles for GCN.  In the past there was still that possibility.  Of course I may have just misread your whole statement and we may both be saying the same thing.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2004, 03:15:40 PM »
"In the past there was still that possibility. Of course I may have just misread your whole statement and we may both be saying the same thing."

I'd be fine with this if everybody's mindset was, "Oh well, now they're definitely moving on to the next generation" like mine...

But apparently it's, "Oh no, Factor 5 is breaking up with Nintendo, Nintendo is doomed!"
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Factor 5 Drops Nintendo!
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2004, 03:24:18 PM »
NO MORE GENERIC ROGUE LEADERS? I AM CRUSHED, I THINK I SHALL WEE MY UNDIES AND COMMIT SUICIDE.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2004, 03:32:13 PM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
NO MORE GENERIC ROGUE LEADERS? I AM CRUSHED, I THINK I SHALL WEE MY UNDIES AND COMMIT SUICIDE.

While its true, their last game left a lot to be desired... but still, it was their commitment to making technological advances for Nintendo that I will miss the most...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2004, 03:37:23 PM »
I know it's nothing to really cry that much about, since Factor 5 has never really shown their TRUE talent in making games OTHER than Star Wars (and the same bloody ones for crying out loud), but the fact that they were a contributing partner to the design of GC is sad in itself.

I think, and I hope this is right, that Factor 5 only dropped GAMECUBE support. N5 may not be out of the question, since they DO have the contract to make Pilotwings, and they haven't said anything about dropping Nintendo altogether.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2004, 03:46:06 PM »
Just like Rare had a "contract" to do PD2, BT3 and another DKR?  Why do you assume they still have this "contract" for Pilotwings?  They may not have anything coming...i'm not saying they don't but lets not assume they are for God sake, after all this crap...
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2004, 03:58:28 PM »
The Omen, Rare did that when Nintendo sold its stock and Microsoft bought it out. Of course they're not gonna develop for a competitor.

There is no chance of anybody buying Factor 5. Lucasarts owns Factor 5. Nintendo never owned stock in it anyway. Factor 5 was, is and always will be third party. They never had any obligation to develop for Gamecube, just GCNext, and now they're saying they're not going to develop for Gamecube.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

People, stop being paranoid!  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2004, 04:01:11 PM »
Kenny: Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Lucas Arts own Factor 5, or at the very least publish all of their games? Why is it, then, that Lucas Arts said they stopped supporting the Gamecube and not Factor 5 specifically? I see no reason for F5 to suddenly drop Gamecube support on their own, just as I saw no reason for SK to suddenly close up shop at Nintendo and leave. The former has a reasonable excuse, though, and I see no reason why I should believe otherwise, especially considering no one has given me any reason to believe otherwise.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2004, 04:05:23 PM »

The Omen, Rare did that when Nintendo sold its stock and Microsoft bought it out. Of course they're not gonna develop for a competitor.

what i'm saying is, there may not even be a contract.  How do you know?  Because Cube-Europe posted PilotWings exists?  Even if they were working on it, then decided not to, Factor5 could find literally dozens of ways to get out of it.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2004, 04:17:33 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"You sound suprised ...Nintendo fked up again."

Actually it's not too surprising since there were rumours of Factor 5 giving up on the Cube for a while.  I'm just really frustrated because this is such lousy timing.  We're all upset over the Silicon Knights thing and then THIS gets springed on us.  Talk about pouring salt on the wound.

Silicon Knights news came as I was getting over the loss of TOS. The bad news just keeps on coming.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline ecliptic

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2004, 04:19:15 PM »
Only the most hardcore Nintendo fan would think nothing has changed. Hell Factor 5 is a large supporter of Microsoft's XNA.

"We are extremely excited about XNA, both as a middleware provider and as a game developer. Tools are the only chance for future success in this industry, and never has this been more true than now. As we move into next-generation development, the expectations of gamers and the abilities of hardware open almost limitless possibilities for content creators. Without the right tools, developers will not be able to keep up with the pace -- XNA is what the industry needs right now."

Julian Eggebrecht, President, Factor 5 LLC

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2004, 04:21:49 PM »

Only the most hardcore Nintendo fan would think nothing has changed. Hell Factor 5 is a large supporter of Microsoft's XNA.

Factor 5 has personally created hardware tools for the XBox, just as they did with the Gamecube (although they didn't create near as many). Don't try to make it sound like F5 are MS fanboys, now, though, because that's NOT the case.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2004, 04:27:26 PM »
What, pray tell, has changed, since I'm obviously a hardcore Nintendo fan who's blind to the truth?

I mean, I'm sorry I don't believe baseless conjecture by prepubescent idiots jumping at any chance to attack Nintendo, but it's not because I'm a Nintendo fan, it's just because it's baseless.

If you find me anything that states that Factor 5 is not developing for GCNext, has dropped work on Pilotwings or was developing anything on GC in the first place before this announcement, then I'll believe your paranoid ramblings.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2004, 04:30:48 PM »

Thats funny, Rouge Squadron pretty much saved the Gamecubes pathetic launch vs the X-box and Halo. Unless of course most people bought Gamecubes to play Wave Race. Sure the last one wasnt really good and sold accordingly ,but im pretty pissed about loosing Factor 5.  Rouge Squadron sold really really well at launch, dropping GCN just because of one title is disgusting by Lucas Arts.  

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2004, 04:36:27 PM »
Yeah I would have liked to see one more title from them for Gamecube. But I do know this:
IGN reported last year at E3 that PilotWings was definetly being developed by Factor5

Something I'm not sure about is whether Factor5 is own by LucasArts. The reason I'm not sure is because Nintendo would be publishing their own property, in this case PilotWings. So Factor5 would have to be indepent from LucasArts if Nintendo is publishing one of their titles.

Offline ecliptic

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2004, 04:40:17 PM »
Can you prove that they still ARE developing anything for Nintendo?

You don't find it obvious? When right after Microsoft's XNA announcement with Factor 5's praise, they ditched the Gamecube. Were you one of the ones who damage controlled this also?

http://www.gamecubicle.com/images/rarecard.jpg

Yet now you are damage controlling an announcement from Factor 5. The problem with Nintendo fans are they deny or bash anything that goes bad for Nintendo.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2004, 04:44:26 PM »
What's wrong with praising XNA? What the hell, Factor 5 isn't allowed to praise any other consoles now? They're not even related to Nintendo... they can say whatever they want!

They've been working on Pilotwings for quite a while now and it's not for GCN. I'm sorry, since you're the one arguing they're not making it anymore, the onus is on YOU, not me, to prove anything.

Jesus, now I'm damage controlling? Do you even know what damage control means? Where's the damage?

Why can't anybody clearly state just what the hell the damage is?

Because there IS NONE.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2004, 04:52:35 PM »
Eh, Paladin's right on this one, ecliptic- you're looking for a reason to attack Nintendo rather than looking at the facts. Just because Factor 5 isn't slobbering over Nintendo doesn't mean they hate them. Like I said, drop the case you're pushing because it won't go anywhere.  

Offline ecliptic

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2004, 04:53:15 PM »
Did you scoff at the rumor of Factor 5 bringing the Rogue Squadron trilogy to the Xbox?

Things HAVE changed wether you want to deny it yourself or not.

Eh, Paladin's right on this one, ecliptic- you're looking for a reason to attack Nintendo rather than looking at the facts. Just because Factor 5 isn't slobbering over Nintendo doesn't mean they hate them. Like I said, drop your the case you're pushing because it won't go anywhere.

When did I ever says Factor 5 hates anyone?  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2004, 04:56:44 PM »
You're trying to come up with a reason F5 has left Nintendo, and it's not going anywhere, so you should drop it.

Offline OG_OriginalGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2004, 05:02:53 PM »
This is plagiarism.  go to Gamespot to read the article
-Bloodworth

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2004, 05:06:25 PM »

According to Eggebrecht, the only reason Factor 5 has stopped making GameCube games was that they've abandoned current-generation hardware altogether. "It is simply because we have moved into next-generation development," he said.

BAM!!!

I guess hearing about this right after all this SK crap didn't help (although Matt's been mentioning it for a while on IGN), but we all need to learn to stop jumping to conclusions. Great find, OG.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2004, 05:13:20 PM »
Score one for the "blind Nintendo fanboys".

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2004, 05:19:30 PM »

As for which future console Factor 5 was creating games for, Eggebrecht was unspecific, saying only "there might be a surprise [announcement] coming from us."

Doesnt sound like they are Nintendo exclusive either, so its not simply one for the "blind nintendo fanboys" Its much better than i thought, but not that much.

I will say their DS comment made me happy.  I dont think Factor 5 has made a handheld title yet.

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2004, 05:52:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Perfect Cell

As for which future console Factor 5 was creating games for, Eggebrecht was unspecific, saying only "there might be a surprise [announcement] coming from us."

Doesnt sound like they are Nintendo exclusive either, so its not simply one for the "blind nintendo fanboys" Its much better than i thought, but not that much.

I will say their DS comment made me happy.  I dont think Factor 5 has made a handheld title yet.

They have the privaledges of being exclusive without being exclusive. Factor 5 helped out with hardware and compression so they know how to get the most out of the system. They also get the benefit of Nintendo letting them work on franchises