Author Topic: Silicon Knights and Nintendo break up  (Read 62773 times)

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
RE:Silicon Knights and Nintendo break up
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2004, 04:21:42 AM »
"Dyack's early interviews"  Yup, read them too.  But he stated they approached him with the ideal of working on "a metal gear solid" game.  Don't think he knew that he was going be working on a re-make until later on.  He stated something about if he was to work on MGS4 that, he wouldn't have been able to release it until sometime after 3 or any spinoff for that matter.

He's always talking about new & fresh but lets face it, TS wasn't new.

And No MC, I wouldn't want to make a remake of a game that I enjoyed.  Rather make a sequel myself.  :0.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2004, 04:27:50 AM »
Always wanted to make a Gritty Megaman game :0.  Think frankenstein with weapons.

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2004, 04:40:28 AM »

I wonder if Pong is another favorite game of Denis'? Seriously, that'd be the best remake ever. I'd be all like "I'm playing Pong" and the GameCube would be totally like "I'm struggling because of the sloppy PAL conversion" and I'd go get some corn chips. The guy at the counter would be all like "Here's your change" and I'd go "Oh yeah" and pelvic thrust the air.

classic infernal... absolutely classic
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2004, 04:58:44 AM »

Don't think he knew that he was going be working on a re-make until later on.

Reread those interviews- Dyack has said many times that shortly after Eternal Darkness was released he had a meeting with Miyamoto and Kojima in Japan and they asked him if he wanted to remake the original Metal Gear Solid. Look, you're chasing ghosts, ymeegod, this is a moot point- hell, email Denis yourself if you want and I'm sure he'll tell you not only did he enjoy making Twin Snakes a great deal but Nintendo didn't force him in the manner you're describing. You guys have to have better reasons than this.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Silicon Knights and Nintendo break up
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2004, 05:28:57 AM »
28 Days till E3, guys. There was a movie called 28 Days Later. It's about zombies. ED2. I have solved the mystery of the thingy.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2004, 05:31:59 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Silicon Knights has released 2 Gamecube games, one of which is less than month old- it's not because of sales. And look, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if this does turn out to be real, but like I said, it being joke sounds a hell of a lot more believable than anything you guys have come up with.

Unless it was SK disappointed with sales and not Nintendo.  It is not at all unreasonable to cancel a second party deal if the market you're exclusively developping for isn't buying.  They really deserve to do much better.
I certainly think that is more reasonable than the president of SK and Nintendo PRs out right lying to news media officials but whatever .
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2004, 05:55:40 AM »

Originally posted by: odifiend

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Silicon Knights has released 2 Gamecube games, one of which is less than month old- it's not because of sales. And look, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if this does turn out to be real, but like I said, it being joke sounds a hell of a lot more believable than anything you guys have come up with.

Unless it was SK disappointed with sales and not Nintendo.  It is not at all unreasonable to cancel a second party deal if the market you're exclusively developping for isn't buying.  They really deserve to do much better.
I certainly think that is more reasonable than the president of SK and Nintendo PRs out right lying to news media officials but whatever .

I agree. Add to that there was no real marketing push behind either of their games and you have an unhappy developer

Offline Zeks

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2004, 07:00:48 AM »
Well they may be lying(obviously) but thats nothing new, any half-brained person should know that.  Companies keep pleanty of things on the down-low, esp business wise.  Yeah true they had little marketing push on either game(MGSTT had decent amount in Japan and it still sold like ass) but MGSTT shouldnt have sold as horribly as it has(Japanese, and probly wont be too much better here).  On the flip side It took this company FOUR yrs to produce TWO whole games, Approx 2-3 yrs as a 2nd Party. <--- Before you wanna say Im wrong think about that first for a min.  They have approx. 60 staff compared to Rares 200+ and they both of their output ratio is close(bad).  Plus this is business here ppl, its all about the bottom line stop whinning.  

Not to mention the huge majority of Nintendo fans online and how they grow more stupid day-by-day.  Example: Windwaker "Oh nooo look at his face !@&#*" now, most ppl love it and its already sold 3mill on-par with TOoT.  MP "This visor thing is weird, wtf is a FPA???" now, its sold pleanty of its share and regarded as one of the gen. most orginal games.  Rare " OMFG they sold them WTF %^^*%^)*"  then we found out why.

I could go on but Im tired.  Point is you guys should try and be decent which means use your freaking 'critical thinking' if you have any.  Could this be more money to buy some other, more prominent developer??? or a tech. partner for N5/GCNext  and the future???  Bottom line, quit with all the whinning and crying "TIS D00MEDED" crap and wait till E3 atleast to see whats up.  But I see 2 more forum topics regarding this issue and the shear stupid-ness.  Atleast the Nintendojo Forums has come to the conclusion(for the most part) that this money can be towards something more benifitial to Ninty.  N-sider Forums Never 'freaked out'.

And for the last time ppl get it straight, SK WAS the ONLY 2nd party dev.  Goodness, Retro is 100% in-house 1st party dev.   Plus we make up the very SMALL portion of N-fans cause we're online, ONLINE.  How many ppl do u think really know who SK is hmmm? next to ziltch.  So dont go crying that this is gonna have some Never Happening(lol) effect.  

Offline NeonDestruction

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2004, 07:11:24 AM »
Yes sir master Zeks.  It's not that Nintendo is doomed only because they lost Silicon Knights, it's just that the sh!t has hit the fan because of that.  All of their bad business decisions/philosophies all add up, and it has finally pushed a lot of the hardcore Nintendo fans over the edge, including me.  The only thing that is going to save them is if they make some major changes or buy up some awesome developers.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2004, 07:14:40 AM »
Mouse

I read your post and I dont see how anyone can possibly think this a joke, unless they are seriously delusional.
Sk is gone. If this was a friendly split and SK was still going to make games for NIN they would have said so. I see Dennis as trying to break this as softly as he can, hence, the we "may" still make make NIN games.
I honestly believe what Ian said earlier to be true. Dennis must have seen what Iwata has planned and decided he liked the lifeboat better than the bucket.
Trying to put a positive spin on this just isnt doable, and hoping its a joke is simply unrealistic.
I also agree with the omen in that I believe that Sony has gobbled up SK and that SK is simply waiting for Sony to release the news as the bigger company usually does.
Any way you slice it, this is horrible news for Nintendo, especially when you add in the fact that Nin is no longer the force they once were on the console end of gaming. It is news like this that will eventually lead to their demise.
What I think will happen next is this:
- Sony announces SK an exclusive 2nd party
- the announce Too human for PS2 and a game for the PSP
- NIN will say this isnt a big deal

Time will tell
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2004, 07:32:36 AM »
on gamespot Dyack said

"It's not clear what direction we're going in,"

with this i can "have hope" as the mask maker said that whatever outcome this holds is a positive one......  
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2004, 08:39:54 AM »
I am not getting my hopes up.  SK=gone.  I really have to consider exactly whats going on over at Nintendo, especially in Japan, because they basically control NOA.  Iwatas comments have been very unusual.  I cringe sometimes.  Again, I often am hoping he was misquoted, or badly translated, but it appears he thinks very differently than most business men, in that he doesn't sound like one.  You have to know your market.  The market isn't us, who will buy the N5 without a moments hesitation(though i'm reconsidering), its the people who won't.  Its increasingly evident that Nintendo, and Iwata just don't get it.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Evan_G

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2004, 08:45:44 AM »
You guys are taking this far too seriously.  Having Silicon Knights as a third party is not the end of the world.  I would really doubt that Silicon Knights are going to "the enemy" and make games exclusively for other systems.  And if they do, who cares?  Is there anything wrong with buying another system if you really desire a game?  If Too Human ends up on another system exclusively, I would consider getting that other system.  It was originally going to come out on the Playstation, and I would have got the PS just for that game.  Personally, I don't have loyalty exclusively to a company, I get a system because it has games that I want for it.  I bought a Gamecube because it is coming out with retro collections that I want, and because games like Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, Geist, and Killer 7 look interesting.

I don't consider Nintendo to be any better of a company than Sony or Microsoft, because they are large faceless multinational corporations.  They do what they see best to make money, because that is their purpose.
Super NES forever

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2004, 09:13:40 AM »
"Is there anything wrong with buying another system if you really desire a game?"

Uh, yeah.  It costs over $100 to buy another system not including the game itself.  It's a pretty big pain in the ass to have to pay that much for a game that a week ago I would assume would be released on the console I already own.  Not everyone can afford to buy multiple consoles.  Ideally most people want to buy one and hope that it will serve 90% of their needs.  That's why Sega's current multiplatform strategy sucks and that's why it's a big deal when a developer drops Cube support.  If Nintendo is doing their job I shouldn't have to buy another console.

"Iwatas comments have been very unusual. I cringe sometimes."

Ditto.  With Yamauchi the worst I thought to myself was "man that old dude is such an arrogant prick."  With Iwata it's "what the f*ck is he talking about?  What the hell is he doing?"

Offline evilnate

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2004, 09:21:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Is there anything wrong with buying another system if you really desire a game?"

Uh, yeah.  It costs over $100 to buy another system not including the game itself.  It's a pretty big pain in the ass to have to pay that much for a game that a week ago I would assume would be released on the console I already own.  Not everyone can afford to buy multiple consoles.  Ideally most people want to buy one and hope that it will serve 90% of their needs.  That's why Sega's current multiplatform strategy sucks and that's why it's a big deal when a developer drops Cube support.  If Nintendo is doing their job I shouldn't have to buy another console.

That's exactly what I've been thinking.  Nintendo should be making every effort to make people not want or need another console.  That's whats been wrong with Nintendo this entire generation.  They have been positioning themselves not as the console to get, but as the second banana to the PS2 and the XBOX.  It's sort of like they're saying, "If you're only going to buy one console this generation, make it a PS2 or XBOX, but if you're going to buy two make one of them a Gamecube."

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 14, 2004, 09:40:39 AM »
Us Nintendo fans sure are whiney.  This is sad news, but I'm tired of the old Nintendo is doomed reaction.  I've seen it so many times in the past few years that it's meaningless to me now.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Meanwhile, Silicon Knights can develop for whomever it wants.   I do agree Nintendo should be putting more effort into making and KEEPING exclusive games, but I'm not about to give up Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Star Fox and Pikmin to play one Silicon Knights game every two years.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2004, 09:43:40 AM »
I Have had 1 day to sit down and think
Im guess is that SK has a game in the works, they have been very secretive about all there games and have said I believe they said they were working on 2 others, 1 not being Too human.
Im guessing that These Games to them are on the scale that they wish everyone to play them, there for happly walking away from a exclusive deal, allowing better sales and there name to become even more well known. If this position was true, It would not inflict any damage on Nintendo and future collabs.
*edit* this is just off my head, and not a true refection of anything in reality, no need to argue about my statement

2ndly Nintendo Love Hype and Being talked about, weither its them claiming Luigi's mansion its the most revultionary game ever (Yeah I remember that) or Selling Rare. It gets there Name in the paper and gets fanboys talking, which In the end is what every company wants.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 14, 2004, 10:05:27 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
Us Nintendo fans sure are whiney.  This is sad news, but I'm tired of the old Nintendo is doomed reaction.  I've seen it so many times in the past few years that it's meaningless to me now.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Not all of us are like that...It's just that the whiney ones stand out more... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline DrkStarTTD

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 14, 2004, 10:15:10 AM »
whiney who is whiney i dont think anyone is whiney. pissed yes but not whiney. confused yes but not whiney. feed up most def I have put up with this sence n64. and yes it is a big deal to get another system do u ever see ps2 owners need to get a gamecube? I mean besides mario and zelda why would they need to. Why is it that i got a gamecube being promised all these great games and slowly one by one i find i can get them on ps2 but do i get the ps2 games on game cube no. ok now im whiney but i have a right to be right now i feel like i have been screwed by nintendo this gen.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 14, 2004, 10:41:25 AM »

Originally posted by: evilnate That's exactly what I've been thinking.  Nintendo should be making every effort to make people not want or need another console.  That's whats been wrong with Nintendo this entire generation.  They have been positioning themselves not as the console to get, but as the second banana to the PS2 and the XBOX.  It's sort of like they're saying, "If you're only going to buy one console this generation, make it a PS2 or XBOX, but if you're going to buy two make one of them a Gamecube."

I don't think that's true at all. They've made it very clear that they believe exclusive titles are what draw consumers to one console over another, and the track record shows that for the most part the games that are exclusive, even if mostly first-party, have been successes. Still, it hasn't changed their position in this generation and can't be accused of being a source of their problems.

If there is a "problem" this generation, I'd say foremost it was being late to market, and secondly the added competition. Everybody is going to have a smaller piece of the pie when there are more competitors to deal with. Most other issues just followed as a domino effect to those.  
"wow."

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 14, 2004, 10:46:09 AM »
"They've made it very clear that they believe exclusive titles are what draw consumers to one console over another"

Yeah.  Exclusive titles like the games SK used to provide for the Cube.  Exclusive titles like what SK might make for the PS2 or Xbox that would require us to buy a competitor's console or miss out.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 14, 2004, 11:11:47 AM »

"They've made it very clear that they believe exclusive titles are what draw consumers to one console over another"

Yeah.  Exclusive titles like the games SK used to provide for the Cube.  Exclusive titles like what SK might make for the PS2 or Xbox that would require us to buy a competitor's console or miss out.

Yep. All 2 games. And who's to say SK won't develop for Nintendo anymore just because an exclusitivity agreement ran out.

Update: If the Nintendo E3 pamphlet is legit (see that thread), it looks like Too Human is alive and well on GameCube.
"wow."

Offline Doobie

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 14, 2004, 11:41:32 AM »
see too human is alive and well, we can all calm down adn wait for the good ol' e3 weekend.
"Why my piggy, I loveded you piggy, I loveded you!"

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 14, 2004, 11:47:30 AM »
nintendo disapoints me often
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 14, 2004, 11:51:34 AM »

I wouldn't worry about that, Ian. By the time SK would release an X-Box or PS2 game, the systems would be down to $99 by then. That's assuming they haven't been developing PS2 or X-Box games in secret!