Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 318038 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #1275 on: August 21, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »
Hey, you know that snarky internet comment about how phone companies will cut half the features people like about a phone in order to make next years model a few millimeters thinner?

Well introducing the Galaxy Note 5.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: October 07, 2015, 11:54:03 PM »
If that runs stock Android or something approximating it... I might buy it.

(As it is, leaning OnePlus Two or Moto X).
From what I've seen Blackberry is mostly sticking to stock

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: October 11, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »
Blackberry's arrival to the android space, although late, nonetheless comes at a beneficial time for them. Alot of people were frustrated by the Galaxy Note 5 announcement including myself because of the loss of certain key features like the SD card slot just to make the phone thinner and have it made out of glass. sometimes it feels like all of the big Android phones are made by a bunch of copy-paste wannabe iPhone makers instead of individual phone manufacturers.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:44:27 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: October 12, 2015, 07:10:09 PM »
There is a gap in the Android market for a top of the line system.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: October 13, 2015, 04:40:18 AM »
Just flashed Marshmallow on my Nexi 6 and 9.  Fantastic update.  I think it's the best one they've done.  Not the most impressive in terms of new features, but they have really optimized it well.  The Nexus 9 is now a tablet I would recommend people buy.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: October 13, 2015, 11:41:15 PM »
I'm not a fan of the Nexus 9 at all. I wish I was, but it just feels like one of those $60 Android Tablets from Big Lots, build-wise. I'll flash Marshmallow on my 2013 Nexus 7 soon I guess, and wait patiently for the update for my Nvidia Shield Android TV, Google ADT-1, and HTC One M8.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: October 14, 2015, 12:00:58 AM »
Tempting me to flash marshmallow to my Nexus 6. I've had a few performance issues that it might be able to fix. I sporadically loose wi-fi calling for no good reason.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1282 on: October 14, 2015, 07:47:49 AM »
I got the Marshmallow upgrade on my Nexus 5 last night... so far, the chief irritant is that I manually have to put the phone into file transfer mode.

Can't speak to battery life improvements or anything of that nature.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: October 14, 2015, 04:56:01 PM »
I'm not a fan of the Nexus 9 at all. I wish I was, but it just feels like one of those $60 Android Tablets from Big Lots, build-wise.

I understand this.  Especially being HTC built, it's very disappointing.  When HTC were announced as the manufacturers I was expecting a splendidly built device.  Google must have put some directives in place regarding the build.  I would only now recommend it for a tablet since it got Marshmallow.  Not on 5.1.1 and especially not 5.0.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: October 15, 2015, 11:00:18 AM »
Tempting me to flash marshmallow to my Nexus 6. I've had a few performance issues that it might be able to fix. I sporadically loose wi-fi calling for no good reason.

I flashed Mango (my preferred name for Marshmallow), then utterly wrecked my phone and then manually returned to Lemon Pledge. I'm waiting for the dust to settle on root (which is what broke it) before i upgrade again.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: October 15, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »
I'm not a fan of the Nexus 9 at all. I wish I was, but it just feels like one of those $60 Android Tablets from Big Lots, build-wise.

I understand this.  Especially being HTC built, it's very disappointing.  When HTC were announced as the manufacturers I was expecting a splendidly built device.  Google must have put some directives in place regarding the build.  I would only now recommend it for a tablet since it got Marshmallow.  Not on 5.1.1 and especially not 5.0.
I suppose HTC doesn't have as much experience making something with cheap materials as LG and Samsung do.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: October 21, 2015, 01:06:15 AM »
If that runs stock Android or something approximating it... I might buy it.

(As it is, leaning OnePlus Two or Moto X).
From what I've seen Blackberry is mostly sticking to stock
I spoke too soon, it looks like Blackberry basically went under the surface of the Android OS and locked it down a bunch so it can be more secure, although I will say this, I'm happy I'm not much into rooting.

Hey brandogg, I'm curious, how much will the type of stuff they are messing with affect app development and fragmentation compared to say, Touchwiz.

BlackBerry's Hardware Root of Trust, a unique manufacturing process that injects cryptographic keys into the device hardware, providing a secure foundation for the entire platform.

Verified Boot and Secure Bootchain, which uses the embedded keys to verify every layer of the device from hardware to OS to applications in order to make sure they haven't been tampered with.

A hardened Linux kernel with numerous patches and configuration changes to improve security.

FIPS 140-2 compliant full disk encryption on by default to protect your privacy.

The BlackBerry Infrastructure, a secure distributed global network that transmits petabytes of encrypted data to and from the world's most powerful leaders and professionals.

BES12, the leading Enterprise Mobility Management platform used by the world's most powerful governments and corporations.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:08:18 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: October 22, 2015, 09:37:59 PM »
It's a different crowd. These are basically just business phones, some people will purchase them because they look cool, but they will regret that purchase due to how locked down the phone seems like it will be. Arab kids will love it. And that is by no means anti-anything or racist. Arab kids love BlackBerry phones, period.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: October 23, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »
$699 for the Blackberry Priv would be more offensive to me if I weren't essentially buying it as a phablet.

My life has reached a point where having both a tablet and a phone is not practical but the moto G (4g) as a phone doesn't seem very well suited for a solo act like that.

I need a phone that can be versatile enough to keep up with the changes in my life. The Moto G is not that phone so I was hoping the Note 5 would fill that role (after all, my current tablet is a Galaxy Note 8.0 and it seems to be holding out nicely over the years,) but well my frustrations with that model can be seen above.

The Blackberry Priv may be a "Business Phone" but it is by no means incapable of being used for more playful things because of the access to the play store and those security measures won't hurt either. I don't think many other phones can claim the same level of versatility that blackberry has offered here.

But I don't know how many people value that enough to spend $699 on that.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:12:04 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 14, 2016, 01:18:27 PM »
I have a dumb question: what actually happens when you buy music from the Google Play Store?

What I want to happen is that you download the mp3 files and you can then do with them what you want - put them on your computer, on your phone, on any other mp3-capable listening device, or just store them on a hard drive for later. I am hoping you basically own the files, just like if you ripped one of your own CDs.

So, uh, is that what happens? It doesn't seem like it. Actually, I just don't know and the help pages on the Google Play Store are cagey on this topic. I haven't ever bought any music from the Google Play Store but I'd like to. What would I be getting myself into if I did?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: September 15, 2016, 01:54:47 PM »
You can download them and put them on anything that plays MP3s, convert them, and/or burn them to a CD.

Source: I've done it before.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 15, 2016, 01:56:30 PM »
You can download them and put them on anything that plays MP3s or burn them to a CD.

Source: I've done it before.
THANK YOU!!!  :) :) :D
Very timely, I was just about to throw caution to the wind and try it out during my lunch break.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: November 08, 2018, 12:18:47 AM »
Holy **** guys..... THE FUTURE IS ALMOSTS HERE!!!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/7/18071720/google-android-foldables-fragmentation-displays
Google is officially announcing support for a category of Android devices it’s decided to call “Foldables.” Speaking today at the Android Developer Summit, VP of engineering Dave Burke said that Google is “enhancing Android to take advantage of this new form factor with as little work as necessary.”

They just need to make it thinner like this
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:29:02 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: November 08, 2018, 12:28:54 AM »
Holy **** guys..... THE FUTURE IS ALMOSTS HERE!!!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/7/18071720/google-android-foldables-fragmentation-displays
Google is officially announcing support for a category of Android devices it’s decided to call “Foldables.” Speaking today at the Android Developer Summit, VP of engineering Dave Burke said that Google is “enhancing Android to take advantage of this new form factor with as little work as necessary.”

They just need to make it thinner.
Goodbye headphone jack.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: November 08, 2018, 02:12:06 AM »
Why is everyone so hung up on the 3.5mm headphone jack?

is it an audio delay thing?
sound quality?
do you just like to be physically tethered to your phone?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: November 08, 2018, 02:40:16 AM »
There is a difference in audio quality yes, especially if there is a good DAC powering the jack.  That said, the difference only really concerns those of the audiophile persuasion. Your everyday users don't notice it.

The issue is more that people have headphones with the lead. They want to use them. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: November 08, 2018, 12:35:31 PM »
FYI, That isn't the final form factor. Samsung had it in a thick protective case because they don't want to reveal the final look. Expect it to look much nicer under that blocky case.

And I agree that everyone needs to get over the end of the headphone jack. Its nearly 150 year-old technology, time to retire it with prejudice. There are Bluetooth headphones with good quality and battery life for $20, so there is very little pain for anyone outside of the legit audiophiles, and there are alternatives for them available in the market.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:40:01 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: November 08, 2018, 03:37:08 PM »
I just don't like losing functionality on my potential $700 smart devices.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: November 08, 2018, 08:01:55 PM »
you're not losing functionality, you are just having to access it differently.

Has anyone patented the bluetooth 3.5mm jack, for those that refuse to give up their corded headphones, but honestly have nowhere to plug them in on these new devices?

because I'm calling DIBS right now.
my quick "get rich" idea.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: November 08, 2018, 09:29:07 PM »
I still don't get the point of a foldable device. They're gonna be probe to breaking, warping, etc. Surely the constant opening and closing will lead to weakness in the display. You can sort of get around this by having the display be the "outside" of the fold. I'm intrigued to see where this goes, but it seems like a silly gimmick for now.