Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 320511 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #925 on: January 28, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
Not until they are indistinguishable from normal glasses.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 28, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »
I really dislike sales tax. Especially for online purchases. But I suppose it is better than paying an income tax.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 28, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »
In the bay area every city has a slightly different tax too which also complicated things, but I do agree that the actual out of pocket price is the price that needs to be advertised.

There is nothing worse (there is, but not for this point) than thinking your getting a good deal, only to see the final tally with fees, upon fees, and taxes bringing the price right back up to what you thought you weren't going to be paying because you just got the hookup. It's misleading.

Kinda why I like Safeway, if it says $3.99, when you get to the register, it is $3.99.
Tax was already included.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:53:40 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 28, 2014, 03:14:54 PM »
It isn't misleading. Do you realize that a retail store would have to create 5000+ different signs per store? That's a waste of money and time, when a shopper could stop being so lazy and do the calculation themselves.

It isn't misleading, it isn't false advertising, it's a fucking necessity of the government and the way our country is set up. I easily can do the tax in about 10 seconds on the calculator of my phone before I ever walk through the aisle to checkout.

If other countries do that? Go right ahead. They have a different infrastructure than we do. Would it be sure? Hell yes, I would love that format. But to say that every store in the country that has sales tax should change the sign depending on the state, county, or even city is fucking mental.

Unclebob, back me up. I'm sure you know what it's like.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 28, 2014, 03:41:06 PM »
It isn't a waste if each store orders their own signs independently of what is sent out by corporate, which if Safeway can do it, I don't see why Wal-Mart can't too.

I know why they do it, because the prices look lower, but if everyone did it, it wouldn't be a problem. And I also wasn't just referring to retail shops, so I'm gonna assume you've never bought something like a house, car, or even TV.
Unmentioned electronic recycling fees onto of tax for a TV or monitor.
And houses & cars are the worse offenders with all sort of "mandated" fees and percentages and commissions and taxes.... don't even get me started on taxes for houses.
But a lot of that isn't being disclosed upfront, so yes it is very misleading to think, "oh, this TV is on sale for $599, I can afford $600...."
"Don't forget to add $50 for tax..."
"That's pushing it, let me borrow $20"
Then you get to the register and you also get hit with an electronic recycling fee for an additional $10

And to relate back to this thread, cellphones do it all the time too. iPhone 6G is on sale for $99 on contract. I'm gonna do the sales tax in my head... 8%... carry the 3... divide by 4... to the 7th power... add a decimal... equals $107... I brought cash, exact change. :)"
WRONG!!! You gotta pay tax on the full price of the phone which was $999.99 off contract, so now you need to come up with almost double the money because you also forgot you electronic recycling fees, contract tax, upgrade fee and we hope you didn't get talked into any extras. Now that advertised $99 phone is gonna cost you almost $200 out of pocket. I would call that misleading.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:29:33 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: January 28, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
To my knowledge, food is not taxable. At least here in Washington State. So that is why Safeway would show the correct price on most items.

It would net be that hard for each store to show the tax on an item. Prices do change enough with or without the influence of taxes that it would not be that much or a difference in price per store.

The only thing I can think of is there could be laws in some places that do not allow you to show the price of an item with taxes for some reason. I know local government came down hard when some stores started offering a 'no sales tax' sale. They were forced to re-title it a "We pay your sales tax" sale.

I'm still laughing at everyone that voted to move alcohol sales out of government control because they thought it would make it cheaper. Now the 'price tag' is cheaper but there are so many extra taxes rung up at the register that it raised total cost of alcohol by about 15%. Silly people, now booze is more expensive.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 28, 2014, 04:37:07 PM »
Prepared or hot food is taxable (and soda and stuff), but like a loaf or bread or a pound of turkey is not.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: January 28, 2014, 05:00:56 PM »
I enjoy going to restaurants where the price includes tax. It gives it a charm. What you order is exactly what you pay for.

But even more to the point, those restaurants also give you even numbers. None of that 14.99 crap. Just 15 bucks.

But even even more to the point. I sell two products that cost 20 bucks even; one singular bill. No change no hassle. If they use a credit card, I charge them the fee of using a credit card however.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:05:54 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 28, 2014, 05:41:38 PM »
But even even more to the point. I sell two products that cost 20 bucks even; one singular bill. No change no hassle. If they use a credit card, I charge them the fee of using a credit card however.

Weed and crack?

I know, I apologize, slap me with the [that's racist gif] and lets move on now. LOL

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 28, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »
*Listens to 10 crack commandments*

Anyway, has anyone used or even seen those bootleg Chinese android phones up close? They're so damn cheap, I'm tempted just to check one out. They can't be that bad can they? Especially if all the specs are accurate.

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to make an app (that i might sell but its more for my family and I) and I need five phones that run android.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 28, 2014, 08:24:54 PM »
Hah! I was thinking weed too and was wondering if he was in Washington or Colorado considering weed is legal here now. But I'm sure you gotta pay sales tax on that now too.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 28, 2014, 09:37:38 PM »
I know, a dub sack didn't even cost a straight $20 anymore,  now it's $21.80 after tax lol.
**** that.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: January 28, 2014, 11:38:12 PM »
Never been a fan of selling weed. It's like selling a steak. If I got another steak, I'll just feed you.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 29, 2014, 03:06:00 AM »
Thread successfully derailed.

Congratulations to me.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 29, 2014, 05:18:50 PM »
Lenovo has just bought Motorola Mobility.

Given my dealings with Lenovo (and i imagine brandogg has too?), this has made me want to cancel my order for my Moto G.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: January 29, 2014, 06:09:31 PM »
The Moto G is an amazing phone. It's too bad that Google was too shortsighted with their Motorola purchase. They could have completely integrated the company into their mobile division, like what Microsoft is doing with Nokia.

Well now Lenovo has a decent shot at taking over the mobile market like they did with the PC market. Right?

Looks like I'll be getting that ASUS ZenFone for my next phone. Goodbye Motorola, it's been nice knowing you.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: January 29, 2014, 07:06:45 PM »
Did I miss somthing? I thought Google bought Motorola? They already sold them off?
My Game Collection

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #942 on: January 29, 2014, 09:56:12 PM »
Bought 'em, grabbed the patents so Android won't get sued into irrelevance, sold the rest.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 29, 2014, 11:37:53 PM »
Pretty much, that amd basically fix Motorola's phone division and release them back into the wild to stir up some competition in android.

On the next episode of fix that phone company we have HTC who decided to have a high end multimedia based phone without expandable memory and decided to just completely **** up the button placement.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:45:22 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 30, 2014, 08:01:42 AM »
Yeah, no more Motorola for me. I'm disappointed.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: January 30, 2014, 08:20:51 AM »
I decided to keep the Moto G order open as it's only for music/podcasts. I won't buy any further devices after that as Lenovo will begin to influence things at some point in the future.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: January 30, 2014, 10:43:56 AM »
On the next episode of fix that phone company we have HTC who decided to have a high end multimedia based phone without expandable memory and decided to just completely **** up the button placement.

Wait, what's wrong with the buttons? I could have sworn it was like the rest of them.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 30, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »
Got me one of them fancy Samsung Galaxy mobile telephones recently. Pretty spiffy.

Anyone have any recommendations as to what app to use to manage podcasts? Like, I want something that will hopefully:
- let me easily subscribe to podcasts I like
- will auto-download them, but only when wi-fi is available
- will give me choices about how many episodes to keep and how they are organized (like, oldest first, newest first, etc.)
- will automatically delete episodes I have listened to (but only if I first told it to do that)
- will let me play an episode and will keep my place when I return to the episode after doing other stuff or listening to other stuff
- will have an option to just keep playing all new episodes one after the other, if I want.

Is that too much to ask? Basically, the above would replicate what my Zune already does, which is precisely the point. I want to carry fewer devices.

Any recommendations?

I am also looking for the best music/mp3 managing app so I can listen to the musics too.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 30, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
I use BeyondPod for podcasts, Rocket Music Player for my music.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 31, 2014, 08:12:04 AM »
Wait, what's wrong with the buttons? I could have sworn it was like the rest of them.

HTC One has no multitask button.