Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 320067 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #475 on: May 10, 2013, 09:38:22 AM »
Well looks like there's no reason to buy a Nook anymore.

According to Tech Crunch, Microsoft wants to completely buy the Nook division from Barnes & Noble. The Android-based Nook tablets will be discontinued next year, as the company moves away from hardware to a new business model of software distribution.

I guess putting Google Play on the Nook HD was a wasted endeavor, since the tablets will be discontinued next year.

You assume they would kill the nook line. They wouldn't they would just replace Android with WinRT which makes alot more sense for nook as a company.

But Barnes & Noble does want to move away from hardware and focus on software distribution. They can't compete with Amazon, so they really have no other choice.

If Microsoft buys the Nook division (which includes eBooks), how will Barnes & Noble survive on their own?

The normal bookstores while facing a decline should leave them alive for a while. Also the nook was spined off into its own company so the Book divsion wouldn't impact it. Microsoft has everything in its ecosystem expect a book/newsapaper brand. (Google doesn't either). Microsft already has 300 million invested in the nook media brand and uses it as its unofficial book brand. They're also looking at the prospect of leveraging the nook's old connections to try and push for more digital textbooks and office intergration. could make for a good line of student based products for windows 8.

On better news Android Authority has some deets about the Nexus 7 refresh.
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7-android-4-3-jelly-bean-snapdragon-s4-pro-206454/

• quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor (APQ8064)
    • 5-megapixel camera
    • HD front-facing camera
    • Wi-Fi
    • Bluetooth
    • NFC
    • 4000mAh battery with Qi wireless charging support
    • Android 4.3 Jelly Bean

• [/size]while the battery life is smaller than the current nexus model, the prospect of a better processor as well as a Back facing camera and wireless charging would be awesome. Its also supposed to have a smaller bezel which would be great coming from the nexus 4 [/color]
    3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
    xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • Score: 10131
      • View Profile
    « Reply #476 on: May 10, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »
    My body is ready.
    I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
    • Score: -42
      • View Profile
    « Reply #477 on: May 10, 2013, 11:40:47 AM »
    I really hope Google and Microsoft unlock SD cards for app storage. 8 GB and 16 GB internal storage is not enough for anything these days (especially when half of that is used by the OS and preinstalled apps). All tablets and smartphones should have at least 32 GB standard.

I can use external memory on my 3DS and PC to store apps and games, so why are Google and Microsoft blocking this feature?
    « Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:44:58 AM by tendoboy1984 »
    Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
    PSN: PS_man1984
    3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
      • View Profile
    « Reply #478 on: May 10, 2013, 12:07:05 PM »
    I really hope Google and Microsoft unlock SD cards for app storage. 8 GB and 16 GB internal storage is not enough for anything these days (especially when half of that is used by the OS and preinstalled apps). All tablets and smartphones should have at least 32 GB standard.

I can use external memory on my 3DS and PC to store apps and games, so why are Google and Microsoft blocking this feature?

because it creates an unfavorable experience for the user. apps running off the SD card are based upon the quality of the SD card. if not than running them can be slower and just all around sucky for the user.

16GB is enough space for most people

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
    « Reply #479 on: May 10, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »

because it creates an unfavorable experience for the user. apps running off the SD card are based upon the quality of the SD card. if not than running them can be slower and just all around sucky for the user.

16GB is enough space for most people

You can use external hard drives on a PC and Wii U to backup data. And the 3DS lets you store apps on the SD card.
    « Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:58:28 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
      • View Profile
    « Reply #480 on: May 10, 2013, 01:46:07 PM »
    There's an article from An droid central explaining it better.

http://m.androidcentral.com/why-nexus-devices-have-no-sd-card

For most things you want to do 16GB and Cloud storage should be enough.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
    • Score: -9967
      • View Profile
    « Reply #481 on: May 10, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »
    except my phone is my main music (and podcast) playing device...
    and even if i had any reason to trust the cloud you still need to deal with carrier data plans(and I do not currently have one)
    oh and it looks like i was right about not trusting the cloud

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/22/business/la-fi-tn-microsoft-hack-azure-20130222
    http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/02/why-cloud-services-are-so-easy-to-hack/
    http://gigaom.com/2012/08/01/dropbox-yes-we-were-hacked/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21754034
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Apple-iCloud-Hack-Raises-Concerns-Over-Cloud-Security-609440/

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
      • View Profile
    « Reply #482 on: May 10, 2013, 06:22:28 PM »
    Is it that big of a deal that someone knows you like Lana Del Ray or leoaporte?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
    « Reply #483 on: May 10, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »
    So I've been reading about all those Nexus 7 hardware issues (won't power on or resume from sleep, screen separation, charging issues, screen goes black, etc.). How common are they? I was considering getting a Nexus 7, but all those issues are making me have second thoughts.

Are there any good alternatives to the Nexus 7? The Galaxy Tab perhaps?
    « Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:24:55 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
    « Reply #484 on: May 10, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »
    Is it that big of a deal that someone knows you like Lana Del Ray or leoaporte?
    if you can't access your stuff yes, it is a big deal

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
    • NWR Staff
    • Score: 70
      • View Profile
      • You're on it
    « Reply #485 on: May 10, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »

Tell that to my 150MB/month data plan.
    Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
    Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #486 on: May 10, 2013, 10:06:40 PM »
    Who do you have for service? I can get you a better deal.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
    • NWR Staff
    • Score: 70
      • View Profile
      • You're on it
    « Reply #487 on: May 10, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »
    I'm in Canada, land of bagged milk and 3 year contracts. I doubt your connections are that good.
    Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
    Tutorial box out.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
    « Reply #488 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52:40 PM »
    the US isn't that grand either... verizon has killed grandfathered unlimited plans... at&t has removed data from its pay as you go plans...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
    « Reply #489 on: May 11, 2013, 12:20:41 AM »
    Sprint and T-Mobile have unlimited data. T-Mobile recently discontinued their 2-year contracts, and their new plans are pretty affordable.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
    « Reply #490 on: May 11, 2013, 12:22:56 AM »

Have you had any hardware problems with your Nexus 7 (screen separating from the casing, device won't charge, screen goes black, etc.)? All those reports of hardware issues have made me reconsider buying a Nexus 7.

I just want a tablet that's affordable (under $300) and has good quality hardware.
    « Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 12:29:02 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #491 on: May 11, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »
    Yeah, we sell GoSmart Mobile (which is owned by T-Mobile), you can have unlimited everything for $35 (2G) or $45 (3G). The $45 plan gives you 5GB at 3G, then the rest is 2G - but it's still better than any of T-Mobile's other plans. Hard to beat that...unless you're the dealer since we get 1 free line and 1 line at $10/mo.

This belongs more in the phone thread(s), but non-subsidized phones are the way to go. The plans get way cheaper (since the carrier can't justify the high price) and the cost of phones should come down too (since the manufacturer can't justify the high price).

Having said that, I still have Verizon and will probably never switch.
    « Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:58:53 AM by Brandogg »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
    « Reply #492 on: May 11, 2013, 03:50:11 PM »
    Yeah, we sell GoSmart Mobile (which is owned by T-Mobile), you can have unlimited everything for $35 (2G) or $45 (3G). The $45 plan gives you 5GB at 3G, then the rest is 2G - but it's still better than any of T-Mobile's other plans. Hard to beat that...unless you're the dealer since we get 1 free line and 1 line at $10/mo.

This belongs more in the phone thread(s), but non-subsidized phones are the way to go. The plans get way cheaper (since the carrier can't justify the high price) and the cost of phones should come down too (since the manufacturer can't justify the high price).

Having said that, I still have Verizon and will probably never switch.

I was talking about T-Mobile's unlimited 4G data plans for $70 a month. A hell of a better deal than AT&T or Verizon, which don't have unlimited data.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
    « Reply #493 on: May 11, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »
    or you can have local storage and not have to worry about using the right data plan

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
      • View Profile
    « Reply #494 on: May 11, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »
    or you can have local storage and not have to worry about using the right data plan

But with cloud  you don't have to worry about what you want to keep on your devices. T-mo Unlimited data FTW! Plus having everything synch around each other is amazing.

@Tendoboy

Never had any major problems with my Nexus 7. Sometimes I find the hardware to bit a bit too slow and the hardware seems creaky when enough press is applied too it. I had problems charging it but that turned out to be becuase of the micro usb that came with it got bent.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #495 on: May 11, 2013, 05:57:23 PM »
    I still have unlimited data with Verizon...$40/mo.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
    « Reply #496 on: May 11, 2013, 06:07:07 PM »

But with cloud  you don't have to worry about what you want to keep on your devices. T-mo Unlimited data FTW! Plus having everything synch around each other is amazing.
    Which brings us back to the hacking argument and what happens if the service goes down.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
      • View Profile
    « Reply #497 on: May 11, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »

Which brings us back to the hacking argument and what happens if the service goes down.

local backups. You just seem a tad bit too paranoid,

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
    « Reply #498 on: May 11, 2013, 07:52:38 PM »
    No I mean how do I listen to the new episode of rfn if for whatever reason I cannot access the cloud?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
      • View Profile
    « Reply #499 on: May 11, 2013, 10:26:21 PM »
    No I mean how do I listen to the new episode of rfn if for whatever reason I cannot access the cloud?

Use a different podcast client or download it directly from the RSS feed. I mean your harping on the cloud seems to be predicated on this stupid fear of what if everything goes to **** or hacked.I mean newsflash this is pretty close to not wanting to go to public places on the off chance[size=78%] your killed in a freak accident.[/size]

[size=78%]I mean in the 44-5 years I've been using modern mobile platforms I've barley had any problems with the cloud and storage/keeping. I guess its [/size]because[size=78%] i'm apart of the web 2.0 but looking at m phone most of my services are web based. [/size]

[size=78%]Also [/size]utilizing [size=78%]the cloud doesn't mean you have to forgoe local storage\[/size]