Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 320966 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #225 on: December 27, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »
Wow, you started this discussion TWICE before and both times you were shot down, There are MANY Japanese cartoons that are super simple, and many western animated shows that are detailed.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 27, 2012, 10:48:11 PM »
Wow, you started this discussion TWICE before and both times you were shot down, There are MANY Japanese cartoons that are super simple, and many western animated shows that are detailed.

Name me one modern American cartoon that has fluid, detailed 2D animation and character designs like the old cartoons from the 1940's.

The only shows I can think of are Animaniacs, Ren and Stimpy (the original series on Nick), The Boondocks and Avatar: The Last Airbender, and those last two shows both mimic Japanese animation.

I can name you plenty of Japanese animated shows that have high production values (rivaling animated movies in some cases).

Naruto
Samurai Champloo

Bleach
Trigun
Trinity Blood
Full Metal Alchemist
Afro Samurai

etc. etc. etc.

Face it, the Japanese have higher standards of quality with their 2D animation. Most American cartoons are slapped together to appease the legions of kids that are glued to Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:14:47 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 27, 2012, 11:48:43 PM »
I disagree with your premise that having that level of detail is inherently better. Sometimes simple is the way to go. For instance, The Simpsons has a pretty simple animation style, but it's a great fit for the show, and I wouldn't want it any other way. It's not an issue of quality; it's an artistic choice.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 28, 2012, 01:38:35 PM »
Some more screenshots

So far I'm loving JB and its only taking me a minute to get used to a few new things.

Also being having detailed and quality animation doesn't mean everything. Batman the animated series has a more simple art style and is probably better than all of those series.

Alright after the death of the family crossover Eddy Barrows is going yo be taking over for Brett Booth on Teen titans.

While Barrows is a good artist who does a lot of detail I'd rather have Jorge Jimenez doing the art myself.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 02, 2013, 10:17:25 PM »
Hot damn that level of detail is amazing. Comic book artists really do take their time when designing their stories and art.

The best I can draw is Super Mario and Ren & Stimpy stuff (which was directly inspired by Bob Clampett and Tex Avery's cartoons).

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #230 on: January 02, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »
It's a lot less work to draw static panels than it is to animate them, so of course comic/manga art is going to tend to have more detail than anime/cartoon art.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 02, 2013, 10:52:13 PM »
Oh I know that, I'm just amazed at the talented artists who create this stuff.

That being said, CG movies seem to have much higher production values than any other form of animation, yet creating those 3D models and programming all that stuff to move must be extremely challenging.

Why do these CG animators challenge themselves like that? Isn't animating with pen and paper much simpler?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #232 on: January 02, 2013, 11:29:16 PM »
Not necessarily. It's the same as with games-- if you model something in 3D, you get perspective changes for free, as well as an easier time doing movement and deformation, all of which is much more time consuming to do by hand for any reasonably large project.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2013, 12:07:48 AM »
Exactly that's why a good chunk of new cartoons on Disney, etc, are "cel shaded" to get the hand drawn look without the work.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »
somebody close this its gotten way too off-topic

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #235 on: January 03, 2013, 01:59:54 PM »
No, it was tendoboy who derailed it.

I have used some Android phones friends have it, and I like it. I think when I get a new phone, it will be a HTC V One.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 03, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »
Not a bad headset but if Ithink if you can you should try to go Nexus with android, Not the biggest fan of sense and touchwiz myself.

Anyway cues starts next well and were about to see stupid 5 and 6 inch smart phones.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 03, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
Not a bad headset but if Ithink if you can you should try to go Nexus with android, Not the biggest fan of sense and touchwiz myself.

Anyway cues starts next well and were about to see stupid 5 and 6 inch smart phones.

6 inch smartphones? So why would anyone need a tablet (Nexus 7)?

This is getting ridiculous. 4 inches is the biggest a PHONE should be for it to still be fully pocketable.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 04, 2013, 07:07:35 AM »
The Galaxy Nexus (from 2011) is 4.65 inch and the Nexus 4 is 4.7. The jump from there to 5 inch is basically tiny.

Although i agree, a 5 inch phone (next to my 7 inch tablet is pushing it now).

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 04, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »

just get the optimus g, the nexus 4 is literally a gimped version

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 04, 2013, 07:16:36 PM »
Yeah no **** LG skins also I want Jelly Bean and updates out of the gate.

The optimus G doesn't have Qi charging. Also I prefer the rounded design of the nexus 7 compared too the G.

Also next week at ces Google confirmed that Asus will be showing off their Google TV set box.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/4/3835690/new-google-tv-products-asus-at-ces-2013
So with the influx of articles and guys praising Google's nexus project and stock android its pretty interesting too see how it and the nexus hardware has evolved. 
Android 1.0

Android 1.1

Android 1.5 Cupcake

Android 1.6 Donut

Android 2.0 Eclair

Android 2.2 Froyo

Android 2.3 Gingerbread

Android 3.0 Honeycomb

Android 4.0 Ice cream sandwich

Android 4.1/4.2 Jelly Bean

Its interesting to look at how robotic and chromish the Pre ics version of android was. It was probably the adverts at the time that were really tronish with the droid brand. Even the first run of ads for the Galaxy Nexus had a tron lightcycle vibe to it. You can really tell were the android teamwanted to go in terms of UX with honeycomb which had little input from former webos design head Mathias Durate. It had a lot of chrome and UI elements that made it difficult to use. You see his input with ice cream sandwhich and even more with jelly bean.

Hardware

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 05, 2013, 12:41:33 PM »
It's interesting to go from THIS:

Android 1.0

To THIS:

Android 2.2 Froyo

To THIS:

Android 3.0 Honeycomb

To THIS:

Android 4.1/4.2 Jelly Bean

The huge design changes in the overall interface made Android go from clunky, to sexy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:45:48 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #242 on: January 05, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »
Really? There was no need to re-post all those pics again.

Anyways, new reports say the number of users with Gingerbread has finally dropped below 50% and those with Jelly Bean are finally above 10%.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2013, 01:21:21 AM »
I kind of liked Honeycomb, but it lacked hardware acceleration, so meh. I do kind of miss the GB webtop interface from my RAZR, but I don't miss GB itself.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2013, 09:36:12 AM »

just get the optimus g, the nexus 4 is literally a gimped version

Gimped how? My Galaxy Nexus has 4.2.1. It's 12+ months old. It has a newer version than nearly all other non-nexus owners on this board.
My friend has a HTC One S (released Summer 2012). It only got 4.1.1 this month, after being promised for October.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 06, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »
its literally a repackaged Optimus G(exact same specs and all) with no sd card, no 4g(not that i care) final destination. and from what i have heard it has been rooted relatively easily and i think the sd card slot is worth having to go out of your way to root it. google the lack of an sd card is a deal breaker, im sorry

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 06, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »
its literally a repackaged Optimus G(exact same specs and all) with no sd card, no 4g(not that i care) final destination. and from what i have heard it has been rooted relatively easily and i think the sd card slot is worth having to go out of your way to root it. google the lack of an sd card is a deal breaker, im sorry

All Nexus devices are designed to be rooted with ease. In fact, the Nexus 7 was rooted BEFORE it went on sale. There are toolkits available to automate the process - my friend bought a 4, downloaded the Nexus 4 toolkit and had rooted and flashed a custom recovery (all of which is reversible) inside 30 minutes of first touching the device.

The lack of SD card slot means nothing. I have a USB OTG cable and can plug in any flash drive and access data - which rooting permits.

The 4 is guaranteed better support than the Optimus G. My Gnex is, essentially, a Galaxy S2 specs wise. Yet it's 2013 and i'm still receiving updates and support for it.

The lack of 4G means nothing - we only have one 4G network here (EE) - so i'm prepared to wait for competition.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:03:46 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 06, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »
Personally don't need an SD. Just 16GB local and cloud storage for the rest.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #248 on: January 06, 2013, 08:39:06 PM »
Personally don't need an SD. Just 16GB local and cloud storage for the rest.
Absolutely. And that's why I love my Nexus 4. I've been taking advantage of my Google Drive cloud storage space, and if I chose to (but don't really need as I don't use a phone as a music player), I'd upload my music collection to Google Music - then stream it through my phone's Music app.

I've been thoroughly impressed with this phone, and I'm very happy I didn't stick with Apple and go with an iPhone 5.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 06, 2013, 10:06:29 PM »

All Nexus devices are designed to be rooted with ease. In fact, the Nexus 7 was rooted BEFORE it went on sale. There are toolkits available to automate the process - my friend bought a 4, downloaded the Nexus 4 toolkit and had rooted and flashed a custom recovery (all of which is reversible) inside 30 minutes of first touching the device.

But doesn't rooting also enable sideloading? Surely Google can't be happy with that because of... piracy and stuff.

It's the reason why iOS, Nook, and Kindle Fire are all locked down, to prevent piracy and custom ROM's.