Author Topic: What Small/Niche Game/Genre Would Excite (Only) You at Switch Launch?  (Read 10769 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I got to randomly thinking and I remember for the Wii U I was REALLY hyping myself up for some Tower Defense games to make it to the system, I was even hoping for some at launch!

Alas, it was not to be.

Does anyone else feel like there'd be a small/niche game/genre they'd be ecstatic to see make the Switch launch, but maybe everyone else wouldn't be so excited for?

Personally, I do still have a hankering for Tower Defenses. BUT I'm also still hooked on Picross and I think it would be CRIMINAL if some indie publisher wouldn't take my money because they didn't have a basic picross title available for me buy at launch...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: What Small/Niche Game/Genre Would Excite (Only) You at Switch Launch?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 03:50:29 AM »
I will never understand the thirst for tower defense, but I would point you in the direction of the multitude of them that exist on 3DS!

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm craving for from the indie market on Switch. I suppose I've become quite fond of the "Adventure of Link" -a-like lately, with Elliot Quest, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and another indie title, Chronicles of Teddy, filling that niche (Chronicles of Teddy is an amazing game, I wouldn't recommend it on Wii U because of its severely bugged state). Some might liken Pirate's Curse a bit more to Metroidvania and I understand that, but disagree because of its largely straightforward and inorganic design. If they're anywhere near as fun as Elliot Quest, I'm down for them.

Honestly, I'd really just like to see interesting content on the eShop, something the Wii U eShop lacked severely in comparison with 3DS. The former had many enhanced versions of pre-existing games and a few timed exclusives, and then kind of devolved into a mess of ports, terrible, terrible things, and the rare gem. 3DS had the Guild01 and 02 titles which were unique and a high quality- this sort of paved the way for absolutely wacky sorts of games on the system, though many would also say the standout debuts by Wayforward, Renegade Kid, and Image and Form did the same thing. I just hope that sort of material exists on Switch- cheaper, but reasonably-priced indie experiments in form.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:52:42 AM »
So you're saying I should make a tower defense game?

Actually there was this one on my roommates xboxone that I really enjoyed. After that I played plans vs Zombies at Olive Garden while I was waiting for food, and during. Great genre.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 10:57:24 AM »
I want Nifflas to make another Knytt game. I know it probably won't make launch but I'd still play the crap out of it. I did't mind the things that many people didn't like (the art style and the constant swear words) and I feel like he can take the things he learned on Affordable Space Adventures to make something that's more beautiful. If he goes for as big a world as in Underground it can be more connected, and I just generally like his writing style as well.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
I would be thrilled if Switch got a port of the console version of Star Trek Online. I've been playing a lot of it on Xbox One, but to have it on a handheld would be amazing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 12:30:47 PM »
Zordix Games' Aqua Moto Racing Utopia. Would buy it on Switch. Reviewed it on PS4 (it's also available on Steam) and it's the greatest Wave Race since Wave Race 64 and in some ways surpasses it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 01:51:54 PM »
I'd love to see another sequel for Fluidity (aka: Hydroventure) on any platform - but one that stays more true to the WiiWare original with large open worlds filled with puzzles instead small and specific challenges like we got with the (disappointing, but still decent) 3DS release.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 04:25:47 PM »

Actually there was this one on my roommates xboxone that I really enjoyed. After that I played plans vs Zombies at Olive Garden while I was waiting for food, and during. Great genre.

Plants vs. Zombies I consider pretty much a Perfect game. I got TONS of play out of it on the DS!

Also, yes, please make a TD game. I will buy it!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »
Zordix Games' Aqua Moto Racing Utopia. Would buy it on Switch. Reviewed it on PS4 (it's also available on Steam) and it's the greatest Wave Race since Wave Race 64 and in some ways surpasses it.

Dang that sounds awesome.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 05:28:09 PM »
Reading the "Third Parties...Support" thread, I may be in the minority in really wanting cinematic shooters to come to the Switch.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 06:12:15 PM »
If the Switch had a new Fire Pro Wrestling game I would probably buy it just for that.  That's was the deciding factor for me buying a PS2.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 06:21:41 PM »
Don't think I'm alone in this entirely, although it's a small crowd probably, but... Beyond Good & Evil 2. I don't need it to be some giant open world adventure with super-polished graphics. Heck make it a sidescroller, or point & click game or whatever, I just want to see what plans were never realised for these characters. At the very least resolve the giant cliffhanger you left us on, Ubisoft!

Hey guys, I got to randomly thinking and I remember for the Wii U I was REALLY hyping myself up for some Tower Defense games to make it to the system, I was even hoping for some at launch!

Have you tried Star Fox Guard by any chance? I thought it was a pretty good twist on the tower defense formula that worked really well for Wii U's hardware!

Isn't this still meant to release on Wii U? Was definitely announced to release in 2016, but then again we're also still waiting on Wii U versions of Assault Android Cactus and Kerbal Space Program...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »
I would have said Cosmic Star Heroine* but the developers haven't been able to secure a Switch devkit yet as far as we know.

So I suppose I'll go with Super Mega Baseball 2. The original has been the main reason for me to turn on my PS4, so to be able to play it wherever would be amazing.

* Disclaimer: I backed Cosmic Star Heroine on Kickstarter
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 08:23:21 PM »

Plants vs. Zombies I consider pretty much a Perfect game. I got TONS of play out of it on the DS!

Also, yes, please make a TD game. I will buy it!

It was really good. I got my dinner at Olive Garden and I just didn't care. I was just too into it. They have these little tablets at the table and I figured I'd try a game. Really fun.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »
Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait!

You're telling me that you preferred this

over this?

Ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!! I'll take a crab juice.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 11:01:43 PM »
It was just a soup and pasta deal. I was there a week before. Sometimes Olive Garden is better priced than McDonalds. The problem with good deals is you eat them often and then you get bored of them.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 12:04:31 AM »
Bayonetta 3 -- unfortunately action games have become a niche now.

Excite Bots 2: Excite Harder
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 12:12:15 AM »
Bayonetta 3 -- unfortunately action games have become a niche now.

Excite Bots 2: Excite Harder

I'll raise you the equally unlikely Toki Tori 3 as an indie launch window game on a Nintendo system. TT2 is probably one of my all-time top five games.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 01:52:10 AM »
With Rive (no, not Rime) being Two Tribes' final game, Toki Tori is unlikely. :(

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 08:08:13 AM »
In terms of niche franchises, I would love Rygar to get resurrected somehow. I also really want another Ghosts 'n Goblins game. I'd love to see the classic Midway arcade games get used somehow (I think TimeWarner has the rights) on the Switch, particularly Wizard of Wor and Robotron. And I'd like Disney to do something with Tron across all media, including video games.

In terms of niche genres (this is so niche as to not to exist as far as I know), I want highly customizable sports games. I spent a ridiculous amount of time in old versions of NCAA Football creating new schools and then effectively creating new leagues by populating the existing ones with my newly created teams. I recreated my high school football league, the Carlisle Indian School, Jazz age all-star teams, and other esoteric teams. It was fun, combing the same types of play satisfaction I get from RPGs, Animal Crossing, and traditional sports games.

Offline Syynx

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 10:39:44 PM »
Ninja Gaiden for the gamecube

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 10:54:02 PM »
90's Arcade Racer. :'(

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 12:07:47 AM »

What does that have to do with the Switch?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 12:32:17 AM »

What does that have to do with the Switch?
Well, considering GCN VC will apparently be a thing (portable GCN VC, at that!), that's definitely something to consider getting hyped for. The Wii U VC featured some good variety from Konami in terms of GBA support, but little, if any was added to the other existing console libraries. If third parties began supporting VC in a big way with new releases or returned to their previous VC output from the Wii era (because the 3DS VC, while interesting, hasn't really blown me away), it would be a nice foot to start off on.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 02:30:39 AM »
I'm sure it costs nothing for Konami to get VC ports on any system. So, Konami is likely to do that, because they are primarily a pachinko company now.

Ninja Gaiden is made by Tecmo. But Tecmo and Nintendo have been cool lately.