Author Topic: What Wii U Accessories Are You Buying On Launch Day?  (Read 6407 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
What Wii U Accessories Are You Buying On Launch Day?
« on: September 21, 2012, 03:57:34 PM »
I know I have to budget for some accessories to buy at launch, but I don't think we know everything that's coming out yet, or that we may want.

One thing I think we know is that the Wii U will need an SD card to accept Wii -> Wii U transfers. So, I think I'll just go ahead and buy a 32 GB SD Card before launch to get that squared away.

Another thing I'll be wanting is a screen protector. I always get one as a matter of fact for my handhelds, and I think it's wise for me to continue that policy on day 1 for the Wii U too...

But what else is there? I don't think I'll go crazy for all the multi-colored controller sleeves (like I did at Wii launch... every controller's a different color!), but maybe it would behoove me to invest in a Wii U headset?

Oog... and maybe I'll need to buy some Motion Plus dongles... I only have one right now, plus my Skyward Sword Golden Wii Remote Plus controller.

Also, isn't it a good feeling to see that Nintendo now does official licensing for accessories? It's probably nothing, but it does give me that extra tiny bit of security as a consumer to buy these accessories.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: What Wii U Accessories Are You Buying On Launch Day?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:31:59 PM »
I think you've covered most of it. I really do want a screen protector but I am concerned it might impede the responsiveness of the touch screen. I think it does a bit with the DS/3DS but I haven't found that to yet be a problem. Might be a different story with the Gamepad, though.

I know the WiiU Pro controller will be available but I figured I'd wat to see how the Gamepad feels before investing.

Not personally interested in a headset or dongles.
Well, to be more accurate, I like "dongles" as much as the next guy but I'm not going to get any WiiMotionPlus accessories.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 04:42:01 PM »
(This is assuming I fold and buy a Wii U at launch... It's probably going to happen. I'm just trying to pretend like it won't.)

I'm keeping my Wii and won't be transferring my saves so I don't need an SD. Maybe I'll get one later on if I need the storage space though 32GB is plenty.

I was considering getting 2 Wii U Pro Controllers just to get that out of the way, but I probably won't need them for some time. The only launch game I'm getting is New Super Mario Bros. U and I can either use the GamePad or the Wii Remote Plus. I think I'll only get the console and NSMBU at launch.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »
I'll be picking up a Pro controller for ZombiU multiplayer. I most likely won't buy any kind of expanded storage right away since I'll be getting the deluxe model and I think 32 GB should be fine for at least a few months. I've already got a Remote+ and two dongles, so I should be okay in that regard.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »
Think I may get a Wii Motion Plus at some point for Skyward Sword.

I'm also hoping that the Wii emulator will have some function were it would increase the game's rendering resolution like how the Dolphin emulator works on the PC but I won't hold my breath.

When Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate comes out I "may" pick up a pro controller if there is some kind of advantage to playing like this:

I don't really know why it would be better playing like this but Capcom seems to think its important enough to give us this image.

I'm also hoping there would be some kind of gun attachment for the Wii U pad. Have you ever played Silent Scope at an arcade? That game was awesome.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:00:14 AM by MrPhishfood »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:23:06 PM »
I was actually hoping to play Pikmin 3 like that, lol, except with Remote and Nunchuk.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »
All I need is one pro controller. I've got more motion plus controllers than i need.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »
I don't plan to buy one at launch, but if I did I can't think of anything I'd want. I have enough Wiimotes, Nunchuks, and Motion Pluseseseses for multiplayer games, and I see no need for the Pro Controller yet. I can't think of what else I'd need for the system.

Down the line, I'll probably be getting a USB hard dive at some point. It'll depend on how patches and DLC are handled, particularly with Game of the Year editions.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »
I won't be getting a launch console.  Though I still need three motion plus thingies for my three non-motion+ wiimotes.  I may wait and get them on ebay if I can find them for cheap.  When I do get a console, I'm probably going to get at least one pro controller because I like the look of it (though I hope to try it out before I buy the system to see how it feels).

I'm still hoping they go back to the GCN launch and release an orange version of the system.  I still love my orange GCN controller.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 11:06:20 PM »
Spice!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 11:58:36 PM »
A 2TB hard drive, so I can move stuff from my various 500GB drives to it and then plug one in for WiiU storage :whistle:
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Anth0ny

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 10:04:38 AM »
I already have a nice 500GB portable hard drive for the Wii U. Besides my Base Wii U and NSMB U, I'll probably be picking up a Wii U Pro controller and nothing more.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »
If their is a shell available with a spot for a hard drive and additional cooling controlled by temperature I would pick that up.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »
If their is a shell available with a spot for a hard drive and additional cooling controlled by temperature I would pick that up.
It only uses 75 watts, I don't think cooling should be a problem.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 01:26:49 PM »
If Nintendo released a stronger 1st party wireless sensor bar, I would get that in a heartbeat.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »
It only uses 75 watts, I don't think cooling should be a problem.
Shouldn't be but, on the PS3 the Blu-Ray drive was the heat producer.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 05:36:24 AM »
What size USB Hard Drive should I buy when I DO buy one? Can anyone advise? Would 500 GB be enough for the next 5 years given I intend to download a lot of eShop user, but still prefer physical copies of games when I can get them for most retail games? Is it worth it to go for 1 TB?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 06:38:29 AM »
Trine's a couple of gigs, so 500GB should be enough for a few years unless Nintendo really doesn't have a size limit on the eShop.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »
What size USB Hard Drive should I buy when I DO buy one? Can anyone advise? Would 500 GB be enough for the next 5 years given I intend to download a lot of eShop user, but still prefer physical copies of games when I can get them for most retail games? Is it worth it to go for 1 TB?
I've got a 500GB HDD in my PS3.  I have less than 100GB left on it. I've had it since the start of 2009.  I've got about 25 full size games on there (most are below 5GB).  I've got about 30 PS1 games on there, another 60 PSN games and about 40GBs of videos/music/pics.  I'd say with the way games are only getting bigger, you may want to go with a 1TB if you really want it all on one drive and don't plan to expand.  You do need to remember that HDDs can fail eventually and you will probably want a backup at some point too.  In 3 years though, a 1 TB drive will be below $50 again I think (as long as there isn't another tsunami excuse that happens).

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 12:36:09 AM »
All them stands...

Not gonna buy anything, already have my usb hdd, already have enough wiimotes +, have classic controller pro.

I'm set.

I miiight get cheapo additional sensor bar for my old wii...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 12:40:55 AM »
The Wii U comes with a sensor bar, so why not leave your current one with your Wii?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 01:57:34 AM »
The Wii U comes with a sensor bar, so why not leave your current one with your Wii?
No, the white in europe doesn't.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 09:20:14 AM »
In North America and Japan, both models do. Sorry that they are trying to screw you Europeans.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »
Wait, the Japan models come with their own sensor bars? I thought they didn't?

Anyways, I went ahead and ordered a 32GB SD card, extra AA batteries, and some Wii Motion Plus dongles from Amazon. Those are all available right now, so I see no reason to wait until Wii U launch to hustle for them.

Hmmm... I didn't think about cooling before... I really hope I never have to think about cooling for the Wii U, I've never had to think about it for any console before.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 03:59:50 PM »
Wait, the Japan models come with their own sensor bars? I thought they didn't?

Anyways, I went ahead and ordered a 32GB SD card, extra AA batteries, and some Wii Motion Plus dongles from Amazon. Those are all available right now, so I see no reason to wait until Wii U launch to hustle for them.

Hmmm... I didn't think about cooling before... I really hope I never have to think about cooling for the Wii U, I've never had to think about it for any console before.
If Nintendo has done it right, you won't have to worry about cooling.