Author Topic: Advise me on a new Sudoku/Puzzle DS Game for my Mom?  (Read 9790 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Advise me on a new Sudoku/Puzzle DS Game for my Mom?
« on: December 12, 2009, 06:57:18 PM »
My Mom's taken to stealing my younger bro's DS every night so she can play Sudoku on both our Brain Age games. She's actually been doing this for months now, but now she tells me that she's already completed the Sudoku puzzles in Brain Age 1 and she's almost exhausted Brain Age 2. We were shopping and she asked me point black when I'd buy her a new Sudoku game!

So... Does anyone here have any suggestions? Has anyone here played quality Sudoku DS titles? Alternatively I could see if she warms up to our copy of Professor Layton. I could always offer Neves or NYTimes Crosswords as holdovers, or I could take a chance on a Picross game... or just give her a new Sudoku title like she asked for!

Can anyone make recommendations?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Advise me on a new Sudoku/Puzzle DS Game for my Mom?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »
There was one on DSiWare I heard was pretty good, and Nintendo did publish a retail Sudoku game but I heard it paled in comparison to the Brain Age Sudoku.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:43:28 AM »
Definitely give her Layton and the Phoenix Wright games.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:05:27 AM »
Definitely give her Layton and the Phoenix Wright games.

Sure, I'll give those a shot. But I'm looking for a single dedicated Sudoku DS game as a fallback.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 03:28:57 PM »
I have heard nothing but good things about Picross DS, so maybe try that?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »
There are several Sudoku games on DSiWare.  I own them all.  :)

Unfortunately, none are as good as the ones in Brain Age 1 & 2.  The interface isn't as nice and they all seem to have their own little quirks--one doesn't let you use the stylus, one only has room for 4 temp/note numbers and one doesn't even support temp/note numbers!  Even the nice gimmicks--for example, one will highlight all the cells with the same number making it easy to spot what you're missing--don't really feel any better than the Brain Age games.

I don't have any experience with retail Sudoku games, but I'd be willing to bet they're all very similar to the DSiWare ones--they all pale in comparison to Brain Age.  (How sad is that?)

Honestly, I'd recommend your mom just got back and play Brain Age 1 again.  Unless she's able to memorize the puzzles she should be able to replay the games just fine.

Also, like everyone else said, Picross DS and Crosswords DS are fine choices if your mom is looking to branch out from Sudoku.  I've sunk close to 200 hours into Picross and I still haven't finished all the downloadable puzzles.  The interface is fantastic.  This game is an unbelievable value at $20.  The core game play is a lot like Sudoku--logic-based, tile puzzles.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »
My mom plays the one Nintendo published, but it doesn't have as good of a number reader than the one in Brain Age.  If she likes putting in the numbers digitally, touching the number on the screen, rather than writing it, then it'll be great.

I don't know about any other ones, though.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 12:56:48 AM »
I'm going to put another vote down for Nintendo's CrossworDS.  I suck at Crossword puzzles and I found it enjoyable.

For Sudoku fallbacks, I, again, am going to agree with the previous posters - there really hasn't been anything released yet that's quite up-to-par with the interface included with the two Brain Age games.  It's beyond me why Nintendo hasn't released their own Sudoku game (beyond the Hudson-developed, Nintendo-published Gridmaster, which is *okay*....)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 05:47:04 PM »
It's beyond me why Nintendo hasn't released their own Sudoku game (beyond the Hudson-developed, Nintendo-published Gridmaster, which is *okay*....)

Because it guarantees sales of Brain Age 3 by all of the Sudoku lovers who know every other Sudoku game is crap.
My Game Collection

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 01:25:30 AM »
Hmm... thanks for the feedback guys. I'll definitely see if I can trick my Mom into going to Layton or Phoenix Wright, and I had a Crosswords game as a fallback, but this also sounds like a good excuse for me to pick up Picross, which I've wanted for quite a while now.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 01:13:35 PM »
Thanks for making the topic: I actually just encountered the same problem, but for my dad. I wound up getting some game that has Sodoku, crosswords, and other newspaper games. "Puzzler Collection." Can anyone tell me if I f***ed up now, before I give it to him for Christmas? Thanks!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 04:17:14 PM »
Thanks for making the topic: I actually just encountered the same problem, but for my dad. I wound up getting some game that has Sodoku, crosswords, and other newspaper games. "Puzzler Collection." Can anyone tell me if I f***ed up now, before I give it to him for Christmas? Thanks!

IGN gave it a 7.3

There are plenty of crossword and Sudoku games already available forthe DS, but Puzzler Collection is another respectable offering. It'sgot a clean interface, thousands of puzzles, and the touch screencontrols have been implemented well (for the most part). The lack ofwireless multiplayer is disappointing, but there is enough content hereto keep you occupied for a while. This is a no-frills, perfectlycompetent casual game.
My Game Collection

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 04:41:14 PM »
Hey noname, that IGN review makes it sound like sortof the thing that could be suitable for my Mom too!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »
I might get it for my sister since she loves the sudoku in Grain Age as well. We might have a winner.
My Game Collection

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 06:18:11 PM »
I loved CrossworDS.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 12:44:56 AM »

IGN gave it a 7.3

There are plenty of crossword and Sudoku games already available forthe DS, but Puzzler Collection is another respectable offering. It'sgot a clean interface, thousands of puzzles, and the touch screencontrols have been implemented well (for the most part). The lack ofwireless multiplayer is disappointing, but there is enough content hereto keep you occupied for a while. This is a no-frills, perfectlycompetent casual game.

Just writing to (belatedly) thank you for the response: it set my mind at ease, and it looks like the game's paid off. Thanks, and hope you enjoyed your Christmas!

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 12:23:32 AM »
A quick update: he's really, really, REALLY taken to the game. I'm pleased: this is the first real videogame he's ever tried, and the results are quite encouraging.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 05:52:57 AM »
Thanks for the update there. I think I may get this as well for sure now that I hear others are enjoying it. My family really loves those puzzle games.
My Game Collection

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »
I've been looking at the DSiWare Sudoku games and don't know which one to download.  Based on what Vudu wrote, it looks like I should skip on them all but I really want to carry less game carts with me when I'm out.

So Vudu, if you had to recommend one, which one would it be, even if it's the best of the worst.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 01:02:26 AM »
Actually, while shopping I took a left turn and instead picked up Ultimate Puzzle Games: Sudoku for the DS. I don't think it uses hand-writing recognition and it seems to have the DS held non-book style, but on the other hand it has garnered solid reviews, has a random puzzle generator, lets you input custom puzzles number by number from external sources (so I'm told), has an automatic puzzle solver, and a bunch of other features (like multiplayer? Wut?).

We just got it in the mail today, I'll let you guys know what my Mom thinks.

I also ordered Picross DS, but haven't received that yet.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 03:30:10 AM »
I've been looking at the DSiWare Sudoku games and don't know which one to download.  Based on what Vudu wrote, it looks like I should skip on them all but I really want to carry less game carts with me when I'm out.

So Vudu, if you had to recommend one, which one would it be, even if it's the best of the worst.

I'm not vudu, but I have the Brain Age DSi Sudoku game and I love it, I'd definitely recommend it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 10:08:23 AM »

I'm not vudu, but I have the Brain Age DSi Sudoku game and I love it, I'd definitely recommend it.

Oh really?  I loved the Brain Age version of Sudoku so this will be perfect.  Thanks!
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 01:50:23 PM »
What insanolord said--the Brain Age Sudoku for DSiWare is the best version.  However, I haven't actually checked to see if they're the exact same puzzles as in the Brain Age cartridge.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

Sudoku Master is pretty good, too.  It's a clean interface.  However, since you hold the DSi upright--instead of on its side--it's easiest to play using the control pad and buttons.  The biggest problem with the game is that there's an awesome feature that highlights all of the matching numbers in a puzzle (for example if you highlight a 2 all of the 2s in the puzzle turn green).  It makes it very simple to determine if there are any numbers you can fill easily fill in but it almost changes the way I play Sodoku a bit too much.

Sudoku Master is 500 points.  There's also a 200 point version called Sodoku Student.  I believe it's the first half of the Sodoku Master; if you only want to play the easy puzzles it's probably a good choice.  I think they just released a new version called Sodoku Sensei (or something like that) but I don't know much about it because I've been on vacation for the past 10 days.  I imagine it's an even harder version of Sudoku Master.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 06:17:50 AM »
What about 'Sudoku' on DSi? Has anyone tried that?

http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/10/sudoku_dsiware

Review here says it's pretty good and has 'thousands' of puzzles to solve. You can even enter your own. The best part is it is only 200 points as opposed to 500 like the Brain Age Sudoku or Sudoku Student/Master/Sensei. I find it hard to spend $5 on only ~100 puzzles when I can get more in a cheap paper book at the store for less.

But it doesn't let you write in the numbers at all, sadly.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
It's sad that Brain Age has been out for nearly 5 years now, and still no one else has managed to approach the interface excellence of its Sudoku.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent