Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Nintendo Switch Wishlist Game Recommendations

<< < (5/6) > >>

TOPHATANT123:
I recommend Daemon X Machina. The main gameplay of flying around in a mech blowing stuff up is fun. My biggest criticism would be the story, made no sense whatsoever. It felt like it was written by aliens or a 5th dimensional being or something.

The Stretchers is a fun co-op game, although not as brilliant as something like Overcooked or Heave Ho. Mid tier co-op.

Baba is You I would advise caution. Incredible concept but gets difficult really quickly. I wasn't able to get too far into it.

You can also skip Sonic Forces. I'm no stranger to mediocre Sonic games, but this one is below mediocre. Stages are over in less than a minute, aren't fun to begin with, and then are padded out with repetitive challenges. Wasn't an enjoyable experience.

M.K.Ultra:
I will throw a recommendation out there for Ring Fit Adventure. If it was not already obvious this is a fitness program as opposed to a video game. I think of it like watching a workout video and following along. If you like doing indoor workouts along with the TV, then this is a great one. The pilates ring is well made and the workouts are very balanced. The workouts can be modified to be slow paced or high intensity. I try to do the latter to be more efficient with time. I have fallen off since the weather is nice now and I prefer to run outside, but Ring Fit got me through those cold winter months without gaining too much weight. I also picked it up for $60 but think it is worth the MSRP.

Khushrenada:
I see Octodad is on sale this week. It's way low on my priority list but I don't see it go on sale that often. Back in the Wii U days, it got an 8.5 and pretty positive review. But is that because of Wii U game scarcity or is it still worth playing? Anyone else ever get into this game?

Order.RSS:

--- Quote from: Khushrenada on August 10, 2021, 11:56:25 AM ---I see Octodad is on sale this week. It's way low on my priority list but I don't see it go on sale that often. Back in the Wii U days, it got an 8.5 and pretty positive review. But is that because of Wii U game scarcity or is it still worth playing? Anyone else ever get into this game?

--- End quote ---

It's quite funny, provided you can find humor in slapstick scenarios and games with purposefully difficult controls like QWOP or Getting Over It. Sometimes you just won't be able to do the one thing you need to progress, and need to retry it a bunch of times.
The game definitely shows its student project origins though: the first few levels are fairly short, bite-sized scenarios. Then you travel to what amounts to a new hub area with three levels linked to it. I remember being confused and thinking the whole thing was one giant stage, and it took forever. Weirdly it's back to levels after that too.

Another potential issue: I had most fun playing Octodad in couch co-op, where you'd assign one or more limbs to every player. Ideally nobody controls both arms or legs to make it more difficult. This works well for most of the game, but towards the end it does start making modest demands of the players and tries to string a story together. I wonder if those levels are still fun with multiple people.

Honestly, the best levels are the first few (wedding, home bbq, grocery store) and then the optional extra ones where Octodad serves as either waiter or surgeon. I think the game could've been stronger with an episodic setting where you'd get a new job every level. It works much better in short sessions, rather than playing 3 levels back to back to reach the end of the story.
There's also some technical jank in the version I played, with voice lines not triggering and such. Nothing important, and maybe it's better on Switch?

Overall a pretty decent comedy game, but a lot of your enjoyment will hinge on whether you think the central premise is at least amusing. I'd recommend it, but I do wonder if the past 6+ years have eroded some of the familiarity underpinning its foundation.
The family is already something of a send-up of 1950s Americana, with their white picket fence and family trip to the museum, which might just feels ancient at this point, depending on your tolerance for comedy tropes.

Khushrenada:
Well, I guess I'll check it out then. Hopefully it can still amuse. Comedy games are kind of hard to come by. Thinking about it, Untitled Goose Game may be the last game I played that was kind of more a comedy game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version