Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 250068 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #600 on: September 13, 2018, 05:03:22 PM »
Good thing the 512 GB iPhone Xs Max is only $1449. What a time for savvy consumerism.

That price is also clownfuck lunacy. I upgraded in November so I’ll worry about begrudgingly giving up the Home button next year. I like the size of my current phone so naturally, I lean toward the Max. $1099 is pretty obscene to me even with a trade in knocking it down a couple hundred doll-hairs.

I don't miss the home button one bit. I've gotten so used to the gestures that it'd be weird to go back, and being able to quickly switch between apps with a swipe is great.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 13, 2018, 05:12:26 PM »
That’s encouraging.

How’s the Apple Watch? How often do you use it for things you normally would have taken your phone out for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 13, 2018, 06:00:25 PM »
My main thing with the watch is notifications, where it's handy to see with a quick glance what an email is or the like. I also love it for quick audio controls. One thing I use it a lot for is setting quick timers for things, which I do more now considering how convenient it is to quickly set it than I used to when I had to pull out the phone. I don't really use it to its fullest in some ways because I've never really gotten into using Siri for things, which the watch is great for.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 13, 2018, 07:19:08 PM »
The whole smartwatch thing is so weird to me. what I like about the watch I have right now it that it's completely mechanical. no battery to worry about whatsoever, no fuss, no maintenance, it just works. I don't have to plug it in at night or worry about it at all. The smartwatch feels like the antithesis of that.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 16, 2018, 12:32:41 AM »
This is a really well done video and I really think everyone should watch it, regardless of their opinion on apple as a company.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:35:09 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #605 on: September 17, 2018, 04:54:48 PM »
I recently got an Apple Watch.  Like Insano, I like it for the notifications.  I feel a lot less guilty about scrolling through notifications on my watch than I do about pulling out my phone.  Definitely helps in meetings, especially when my phone is buzzing and I couldn't really check why.

Pokepal, before this I was a mechanical watch person.  I had a couple fun, digital watches too.  The transition has been interesting.  I got the Apple Watch right after my main watch lost a link somehow and I've been too busy to chase down a replacement link.  I had another watch go missing before that, so my options were getting limited.  I never thought I needed one before, but it's pretty nice to have.  The charging I also don't mind since I used to wear a fitbit, but it's basically the same as plugging in your phone, except it's ok if you forget since it lasts like 2 days.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 02, 2018, 03:28:15 AM »

Apparently the way to become America's first trillion dollar company is to not QA test anything.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:31:23 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #607 on: October 17, 2018, 10:16:52 PM »
This is a really well done video filmed in 2018 about someone complaining that a ten year old computer breaks.
Compelling.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 17, 2018, 11:39:10 PM »
You should check out Louis Rossman's channel. That's just one example. Apple is shady to the max, I will never purchase anything they produce.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 17, 2018, 11:43:35 PM »
This is a really well done video filmed in 2018 about someone complaining that a ten year old computer breaks.
Compelling.
I'm just going to leave this here:

1:01 - A1226/A1260 2007-2008 Macbook GPU failures, warranty service refusal
2:21 - A1226/A1260 2007-2008 Macbook Pro hinge/frame problem
3:16 - A1286 Macbook Pro - the "Unibody" myth, glued together pieces fall apart
4:58 - A1286/A1297 MCP power circuit failure due to poor buck converter design: C7771 issue
6:01 - iPhone 4 cellular placement fail
7:12 - iPhone 5 power button problem
7:27 - A1286 2010 Macbook Pro GPU kernel panics due to same buck converter defect from 2008/2009(this gives you a hint that apple engineers doesn't give a crap about engineering good products, same design flaw for three straight years)
10:04 - A1286 2011 Macbook Pro GPU failure, Apple gets sued over not addressing problem.
11:43 - Apple gives out badly refurbished boards as warranty replacements for 2011 GPU failures.
13:06 - 2012 Retina Macbook Pro: another motherboard issue (U8900), due to poor soldering/manufacturing method on the GPU buck converter.
14:46 - Mac Pro GPU failure (again).
16:27 - iPhone 6/6+ touchscreen issue due to structural issue.
18:23 - SSD soldered straight into the motherboard+ chip that would kill the macbook, because a power line would short out to ground when the chip dies.
20:18 - 2016 Macbook keyboard reliability issue.
21:52 - 2016 Macbook Battery failure issue.
22:50 - A1278 Macbook Pro SATA cable failures(yes, really).

Now to be clear, stuff breaks. That's how technology works. My issue (and the issue presented in the video) isn't so much that Apple releases stuff that can break, it's that Apple's customer service will often try to weasel itself out of actually having to fix it even though a lot of this stuff is ultimately Apple's fault.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 18, 2018, 09:12:10 AM »
Perhaps this is anecdotal. I’ve always had excellent customer service from Apple via call or at an Apple Store. Once over the phone, we got disconnected, and they called me back. Customer service from other companies have done that since, but the first time that happened was with Apple.

The MacBook Pro I bought in 2010 is slow as hell by today’s standards, but it still works. By comparison, the hard drive on my HP laptop in college **** itself in less than a year then the whole thing died a few years after that. The screen on my previous work HP laptop had to be replaced. Again, is that anecdotal? My preference would be to not use HP laptops. When it is my choice, I don’t. When my employer gives me one to use, I deal with it. I got an entirely new one about a month ago. So far so good, but we’ll see where it stands in a year.

Anyway, I’m not going to watch that video. The truth is if you already have an ax to grind about a thing and you actively search for confirmation bias videos, you’ll find them. For almost a decade, Apple products have been great for me. Maybe I’m the outlier on the bell curve. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ll keep using Apple products until they stop meeting my needs. Any sort of productivity/putzing around machine will get you from point A to point B. Use the ones that work best for you. That said, it isn’t particularly constructive by any measure to drive by an Apple thread to dunk on Apple.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #611 on: October 18, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
But Adrock! Don't you know that some of the GPUs in the 2010 Macbooks fail! Apple are fraudulent! Just because yours didn't and I've only had three components die in 25 years doesn't mean they aren't guilty of selling inferior products.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:49:15 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 18, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »
Remember when they admitted to slowing down "old" phones and telling people "you're holding it wrong" when they lost service by simply using their phone? Watch the video where they tell the lady her MacBook is basically toast and she needs at least a new motherboard and probably a new LCD, and instead she should just buy a new one, when the problem is just a bent pin on her LCD cable fixed in seconds.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 18, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »
Apparently Apple is going to keep on digging.

For BnM

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 30, 2018, 10:11:25 PM »
New Apple things announced today:

MacBook Air finally gets a retina screen. Mac Mini refresh. iPad Pro ditches the Lightning connector. Second generation Apple Pencil pairs automatically and charges wirelessly.

I was interested in the MacBook Air until Apple announced the price. I was really hoping for $999. Weird that Apple didn’t also refresh the MacBook. It’s $100 more for a larger SSD in the base model but worse specs than the new MacBook Air.

The iPad getting USB-C was rumored for a while, but I was still really surprised to see it happen and mildly surprised Apple didn’t go full Thunderbolt 3. It’ll be difficult for Apple to justify keeping the Lightning connector in the iPhone next year. Apple gonna Apple so...

Tech companies have been dragging their feet with USB-C for years. Microsoft just refreshed the surface line without USB-C. The world really needs to get on that train. A lot of blame falls on Apple. It shouldn’t, but it does. iPhone is ubiquitous enough to really push adoption along at a much higher rate. The MacBook line has been entirely Thunderbolt 3 for a while now, but Apple was still fucking around with Lightning.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #615 on: October 30, 2018, 10:57:41 PM »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 31, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »
Apple makes too much on lightning to 3.5mm dongles to ditch the lightning port.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #617 on: October 31, 2018, 01:18:33 PM »
I saw the usb-c on the iPad Pro and wondered when the iPhones will switch over. I don’t think think it’ll be in the next model or the next model’s s-model. But after that, who knows?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 31, 2018, 01:27:23 PM »
Knowing Apple they probably did it so they could sell a usb C to lightning adapter to people who use lightning accessories with their IPad.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #619 on: October 31, 2018, 02:14:24 PM »
Yes because the only obvious way to increase revenue on a $800 device is to artificially inflate the attach rate on a $10 dongle.

Correction: $20.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:16:28 PM by nickmitch »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 31, 2018, 03:55:41 PM »
Apparently it is.

I suspect that apple will milk the lightning to 3.5mm sales for as long as they can before finally switching to USB C.

I work at Walmart and we can't keep dongles in stock at all. They sell out way faster than we can get them.

Honestly if anyone thinks I'm wrong: Why do you think Apple took out the headphone jack on the iPhone 7?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 03:58:33 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 31, 2018, 05:41:58 PM »
Honestly if anyone thinks I'm wrong: Why do you think Apple took out the headphone jack on the iPhone 7?
While the 3.5 mm version debuted in the early 1960s, it's based on 19th century technology, and by the time iPhone 7 launched, it hadn't advanced in decades. Hardware designers have to work around it because it takes up space, and in a device a thin as smartphones have become, that causes problems when they're tasked with trying to cram more and more things into it.

Apple wasn't even the first company to ditch the connector. As far as modern smartphones, some Chinese OEM beat Apple to the punch by several months. The 3.5 mm port is technology that desperately needed to be put to pasture long before 2016. I didn't love the idea of giving up the port, but I understood it. However, I'm not going to sit here and pretend that Apple didn't benefit from it. Abandoning old technology was the point; selling a bunch of dongles was a bonus. I kind of hate the dongle because it's slowing progress. If wireless is the future, stop giving people training wheels.

Apple absolutely should embrace USB-C because it's better than Lightning. Apple makes a lot of money on the MFi Program so I have my doubts. Still, iPad Pro ditching Lightning in favor of USB-C is a step in the right direction.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 31, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »
Considering how much **** BlackBerry was able to cram into the Priv I just can't buy the "There isn't enough space" argument.

For a little over 2mm more thickness than the iPhone 7 you get a headphone jack and a full qwerty keyboard.

Also this comparison to the iPhone 7 plus is really amusing to me.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 07:30:06 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #623 on: October 31, 2018, 07:28:44 PM »
Apparently it is.

I suspect that apple will milk the lightning to 3.5mm sales for as long as they can before finally switching to USB C.

I work at Walmart and we can't keep dongles in stock at all. They sell out way faster than we can get them.

I guess that's cool for Best Buy? Meanwhile, the dongle sales roll up into accessories, which itself rolls up into "Other Products" (along with Apple Watch, Beats Headphones, and other stuff) and that makes up 7% of Apple's revenue.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 07:30:34 PM by nickmitch »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 31, 2018, 07:58:01 PM »
Considering how much **** BlackBerry was able to cram into the Priv I just can't buy the "There isn't enough space" argument.
2 mm of depth over the height and width of the Priv is a lot of area you're downplaying because you have an ax to grind. And iPhone 7 included technology the Priv didn't (e.g. Taptic Engine, fingerprint reader etc). Also, notice how I didn't say "there isn't enough space." I very specifically said, "Hardware designers have to work around it because it takes up space." I didn't even specify Apple; this applies to hardware designers at any OEM. Any designer can include the 3.5 mm port now. The point is not including the headphone jack means that's space they just have now.

The 3.5 mm auxiliary connector is based on technology from 1878. That was literally 140 years ago. At some point, we have to let it go. Apple gets all manner of **** for this despite not being first and other OEMs following suit like a year later. The Pixel 2 doesn't have a headphone jack. The Pixel 3 didn't bring it back. There are rumors Samsung is ditching it next year. It's ridiculous we're even having this conversation right now. You were going to hand wave away anything I said anyway.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:24:37 PM by Adrock »