Author Topic: Khushrenada's Pretty Late Oscar Thread. 2019 Edition.  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Khushrenada's Pretty Late Oscar Thread. 2019 Edition.
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:08:10 PM »
Well, I predicted it last year and it has come to pass.

Man, these Oscar threads keep getting made closer and closer to the start of the ceremony. Next year, I'll be typing it just ahead of the show.  ;)

Hopefully my actual picks for the winners this year also turn out to be as accurate. No time to go into the detail I'd like so here's the breakdown in case you were still looking for advice.

Short Film Animated - Bao
Short Film Live Action - Mother
Short Film Documentary - Period. End of Sentence
Sound Mixing - Bohemian Rhapsody
Sound Editing - First Man
Film Editing - Bohemian Rhapsody
Visual Effects - First Man
Makeup and Hairstyling - Vice
Costume Design - The Favorite
Production Design - The Favorite
Cinematography - Roma
Original Score - If Beale Street Could Talk
Original Song - Shallow
Animated Feature - Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
Documentary Feature - Free Solo
Foreign-Language Film - Roma
Adapted Screenplay - BlacKkKlansman
Original Screenplay - The Favorite
Supporting Actor - Richard E Grant
Supporting Actress - Regina King
Best Actor - Rami Malek
Best Actress - Glenn Close
Best Director - Alfonso Cuaron
Best Picture - The Favorite

I'll talk more about it all later.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Khushrenada's Pretty Late Oscar Thread. 2019 Edition.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 08:18:33 AM »
Looks like you were correct on 13/24 if I counted correctly! How's that stack up to previous years?

I don't think I saw any of the movies nominated this year besides Black Panther, so I don't really have opinions on anything haha. The trailer for Green Book looks pretty good, but on Twitter I saw a lot of people comparing it to Crash (2004), whichhhhhhhhhhh I haven't seen either but not heard great things about, put it that way.

Still want to see the Miles Morales movie, maybe Vice too because I really liked The Big Short. Any other good recommendations? BlacKkKlansman and First Man sound great from their subject matter. I should take more time to watch good films again instead of shallow popcorn junk maybe.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 07:04:10 PM »
The Oscars are rigged!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 07:14:47 PM »
I didn't watch the Oscars, as I don't every year, but I'm happy that Into the Spider-verse got the recognition it deserved.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 08:31:42 PM »
The Oscars were pretty good without a host.  I missed the open, but apparently Queen played.  They seemed to minimize the skits and speaking between the awards, which was kinda nice, but the show still felt really long.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Morningshark

• Xander Morningstar Animation Junkie
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 09:44:57 PM »
Never been a huge Oscars fan. Was happy Spider-Verse and Bao won. Loved both of those! Bias, being an animation student, of course.
Xander Morningstar
NWR Associate Editor and Video Producer
http://www.xandermorningstar.com

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 11:46:53 AM »
I think we are all aware that the MCU has now popped it's Oscars cherry
I think we are all aware that Black Panther now was all 3 of the MCU's Oscars
... and the list of awards for BP are looong
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Black_Panther_(film)

I wasn't even aware of most of these Awards. Congrats to the BP & the MCU. Well Deserved.
it's a shame DC got one first with a terrible effort in SS, but they only have Marvel to thank for putting these types of movies forefront in consideration.

Might I also express my supreme satisfaction that Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse is also an Oscar Winner for best Animated feature. Absolutely deserved. Amazing & Best Spidey movie and one of my favorites for the year for sure.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:55:12 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »

it's a shame DC got one first with a terrible effort in SS, but they only have Marvel to thank for putting these types of movies forefront in consideration.

It was pretty well deserved, though it was surprising that Star Trek Beyond didn't get it (make up and hair styling).  However, in retrospect, I can recall the SS looks much more readily than ST:B.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 05:11:08 PM »
Still want to see the Miles Morales movie, maybe Vice too because I really liked The Big Short. Any other good recommendations? BlacKkKlansman and First Man sound great from their subject matter. I should take more time to watch good films again instead of shallow popcorn junk maybe.
The Favourite
I thought it was brilliant. It's a very well realized world (18th century England) that doesn't feel like it's been prettied up for Masterpiece Theatre. It feels real. The performances are just excellent. The story is very interesting and unpredictable. It's also very funny yet gut-punch brutal in parts too. Cinematography is creative and excellent (great use of fish-eye lenses, not overdone). Dialogue is wonderful, including some of the best insults I've ever heard. See it.

I also endorse your idea to see Vice.
It was my second favourite of the Best Picture nominees. Again, the performances are really terrific, script is great and the storytelling is well done. You don't have to know too much about the political ins-and-outs of the day to enjoy it. It brings you aong just fine. And again, very funny but also brutal.

As for the rest of the Best Picture nominees
Green Book is good but not transcendent. Worth seeing but no rush.
Black Panther is OK but you've probably already seen that.
Black KKKlansman is quite good and worth a look for sure. A very well made film.
Roma - Hot Garbage. One of the most boring pieces of cinema I have seen in recent memory. I understood what the intention was, it just did not work for me. At all. Shame too because I otherwise adore the rest of Cuaron's works.
Bohemian Rhapsody - Hot Garbage, including a distractingly awful performance by the Best Actor recipient. He was decent when he was singing but otherwise, ... oof. The guy who played Brian May should have been nominated for Best Supporting. He was playing a real person. I believed that person would say and do the things depicted. His acting resonated. Rami Malek (as Freddy Mercury) however, was not playing a real person. He was playing Mercury the "Rock Icon". Maybe he was let down by the awful script but I think some of the blame rests with him. And the godawful Bugs Bunny teeth thay made him wear. Poor guy, should have refused to wear them. They are in his way for the entire film. But all that said, I don't think the film could have been saved without a total re-write. So, to summarize, Hot Garbage.
A Star Is Born - Hot Garbage, or I assume so. I couldn't bring myself to watch all of this self-indulgent tripe. Clips were enough to do it in for me. I'll catch it when it's free or on Netflix or whatever, just for the lulzz. 
Oui, Mon Gars!