Author Topic: Episode 9: ONI BRAIN  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Episode 9: ONI BRAIN
« on: February 27, 2012, 03:07:13 PM »

Nintendo Direct with lots of rhythm!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/famicast/29397

Happy "Love Day" everybody! JC, Danny, and Daan reconvene to talk about another Japanisation of a western holiday, the details of which may surprise you! Nintendo Direct, which may have been lacking in the megatons, did have quite a few tasty morsels worth talking about, including Nintendo's next world domination weapon - "evil" Dr. Kawashima! Listen in for the full rundown.

Rhythm action fans are well catered for (again) in this episode; Theatrhythm, Rhythm Thief and the demo of Hatsune Miku are all discussed. Looks like the 3DS is fast becoming the portable home of the genre! JC updates us with his progress in two extremely lengthy RPG/adventure games, one cost $50, the other was free, but both appear to be lasting the same amount of time!

Other tidbits include a full appraisal of Denpa Ningen (the eShop RPG starring Tingle look-a-likes), the state of the Japanese Nintendo Zone app, Purikura machines, and a large helping of DLC!

So grab a box of your friend-chocolates, apply your schoolgirl camera filter and you'll be ready for another crazy journey to Japan with the Famicast crew!

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 9: ONI BRAIN
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:17:51 PM »
Radio Trivia: Famicast Edition!

Listen to the episode first then check back here to see how many you guessed right!

1 - Super Mario Land 2 - Athletic
2 - FFV - My Home, Sweet Home ~ Bartz's Theme (Lix Village Theme)
3 - Skyward Sword - Grooses Theme
4 - Super Smash Bros Melee Fire Emblem
5 - Lemon Ice Bar - Hatsune Miku
6 - F**k You - Cee lo Green

Good luck and enjoy the episode!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:39:37 AM »
 I have to admit, since the last episode elucidating the Christmas and holiday practices in Japan, I’ve been looking forward to this month’s broadcast. In fact, I even relayed some of that information to my family over the season. The discussion of international celebrations (possibly including Nintendo) should become a reoccurring segment. It’s remarkable that people from different parts of the world, and separate cultures can unite for their passion for Nintendo games. It’s also nice that you have NintenDaan on the podcast. I first learned about him through his YouTube page because he was posting videos faster than NWR was :) 
In terms of a question: What do you think about characters that are designed by Nintendo, or other Japanese developers, that are meant to appeal to a worldwide audience? For example, Link has a more realistic face that is neither Japanese nor western exclusively; he’s somewhat of a blend. I don’t consider Link to be a character that comes from a Japanese descent, because I’m in the U.S. Do Japanese individuals see Link as more of a Japanese character aesthetically? Of course, this is also applicable for other Japanese-derived characters as well. I suppose that it is also dependent upon the art style being pursued.
Anyway, it’s enjoyable to hear from some enthusiasts from half-way around the world. Thanks

Offline geo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »
WOW great cast guys.  So... now that you've taught me that if you have a japanese friend on 3DS you can get their swapnote stationery, is there anyone who wants to swap friend codes and send some of that cool stationery my way!?  My friend code is 0430-8282-1486  I'd be forever in your debt if you'd help me out!  That's way cool.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »
We Americans need a holiday that revolves around girls giving us chocolates. Turnabout is fair play!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »
Great ep, thanks again, guys.
Daan's audio was a bit low for most of it, don't know why.

Do they have Groundhog Day in Japan? St. Patrick's Day? I like hearing about the "strictly Japanese" holidays, too.

Another potential question: it has been just ove a year since the tsunami. What are your impressions of how Japan has recovered (or not)? Has the ordeal left any lasting effects on the national psyche?

(joke question: with all the radiation that leaked out of Fukishima, has the National Godzilla Early Warning System been implemented?)

...(too soon?)
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:22:21 AM »
Great ep, thanks again, guys.
Daan's audio was a bit low for most of it, don't know why.

Do they have Groundhog Day in Japan? St. Patrick's Day? I like hearing about the "strictly Japanese" holidays, too.

Another potential question: it has been just ove a year since the tsunami. What are your impressions of how Japan has recovered (or not)? Has the ordeal left any lasting effects on the national psyche?

Groundhog Day - nope. In fact no where outside the US does!
St. Patrick's Day - there are some parties (specially for foreigners) in some British-style pubs in Tokyo, but Jpse people don't know what it is.

As for your earthquake question, I think it's a nice general cultural question so I answered it on the Japan crew thread  :D
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »

Canada does too, at least according to Wikipedia.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »
The only Ground Hog day I do is the Bill Murray Kind.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 11:46:59 AM »

Yes we do. Go Wiarton Willie (Ontario), Shubenacadie Sam (Nova Scotia) and Balzac Billy (Alberta)!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »

I'm surprised Germany doesn't. Isn't that where this whole thing supposedly started?

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 02:07:06 AM »

Groundhog Day - nope. In fact no where outside the US/Canada does!

Fixed!
In my defence, I don't differentiate between the US and Canada, I mean they're not even a real country anyway!  ;)

I am your (Fami)father.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 02:26:38 AM »
Applaud just for the South Park movie reference. LOL
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20