Author Topic: Nintendo Gives First Details Of Nintendo Switch  (Read 12566 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo Gives First Details Of Nintendo Switch
« on: October 20, 2016, 03:17:00 AM »

Releasing March 2017 still.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/43567/nintendo-gives-first-details-of-nintendo-switch

Nintendo has finally revealed the Nintendo Switch.

The video demo showed the system sliding into and being removed from a docking system hooked to a TV, with instant transition to a portable mode when removed. There are controllers called "JoyCon" that can be detached and used by multiple players or as a dual format for a single system. An optional Pro Controller will be available, and Switch systems can communicate with each other for multiplayer.

The video showed a Splatoon-like game, a new 3D Mario title, Breath of the Wild, a Mario Kart game, an NBA game and the remastered version of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim from Bethesda. Konami, Electronic Arts, Bethesda, Epic Games, Atlus, From Software, Warner Brothers, Take-Two, SquareEnix (including Tokyo RPG Factory Co. Ltd) and Capcom are among the publishers with products in development.

nVidia have confirmed that they are providing a custom Tegra processor for the system.

The games will come on 3DS-style cartridges of indeterminate size.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Gives First Details Of Nintendo Switch (UPDATING)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 10:50:42 AM »
Wow, this is very impressive looking! Like the name, it looks sleek. Great advertisement too, immediately obvious how it works and why it is unique. To be honest all the NX rumouring made kind of wary and there's a lot I still wish to play on Wii U... But this looks VERY promising!

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:55:34 AM »
So, the leaks were right. It seems pretty good to me, but it really is Wii U attempt number two.
I have mixed feeling about it, but I will buy it on day 1.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:00:31 AM »
Split controllers are back!

So that means that plastic shell that combines two halves literally does nothing, because you can control the game without it.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 11:07:20 AM »
Not sure if it is intentional or not, but that video never shows left detachable part of the controller.

You can kinda see that it has split d-pad a-la Dualshock and it makes sense because each half should feature as it's own controller in it's own right and split d-pad will work as four face buttons.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 11:07:55 AM »
There were lights on it, so its probably just has a battery or something

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
So that means that plastic shell that combines two halves literally does nothing, because you can control the game without it.

I assume it's there for ergonomic reasons. You could also take it with you if you don't like playing with the split controllers.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »
It looks like it can be used like a normal console with a traditional layout, a touch style controller maybe, something similar to Wii style controls, am I missing anything or is that it? I hope it is priced under $300, comes with at least 1 game and hopefully that pro-style controller packed in too. But I would be okay with selling as much separately as they need to keep the cost down.

I am not sure how they will support touch controls in console mode unless they allow you to sync with a tablet or phone or maybe they will let you use Wii U Game Pad too? Doubtful there but wishful thinking.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:18:26 AM by supermario2k »

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 11:22:58 AM »
@azeke- nah I'm pretty sure that square is a charging doc for the joy controllers, they need to be charged somehow and it's super smart of Nintendo to make that charging doc part of the "at home" controller unit. They've done their homework here, and understand how annoying it is to have a dead gaming device or an uncharged controller unit. Good on you Nintendo. That and many other parts of this systems portability and functionality have me very optimistic. And the name? It may not seem too amazing atm, but it's easy to say, explains the system pretty well, and actually makes sense!

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 11:23:32 AM »
Touch would have to be optional

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 11:31:44 AM »
supermario, it says the pro controller will be optional (so it won't be included).

My concern is will developers support it long term? The games look nice now, but the rumored specs are lower even than the PS4 and X1 (even though the Switch is supposed to be the generation AFTER those) and I am worried that eventually the AAA games will only go to those systems and Switch will only get lower end games.

It's nice to see a Elder Scrolls games on a Nintendo system. I have to see more but I am cautiously optimistic.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 11:33:56 AM »
Does anyone see any shoulder buttons on the split controllers?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline FreezingPoint

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »
I'll buy one for the games, but I can't see myself using these features.  Gaming is not something I want to do constantly wherever I am.  For me gaming is done at home.  I don't want to game in the park, on a plane, in a taxi, or at an outdoor get-together.  But as someone who bought a 3ds just to play at home, I will still enjoy the system and presumably this will allow Nintendo to focus on building one great library of games instead of two, which should be a good thing.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »
Does anyone see any shoulder buttons on the split controllers?

Yes
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Tween20

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Gives First Details Of Nintendo Switch
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 12:01:12 PM »
I suspected this would be a problem as soon as the rumors started to solidify, but if my daughter and I are traveling together and want to play Nintendo games on the go, I guess we both have to have Switches?  As long as the 3DS continues to be supported, this might not be an issue, but if there is a future where the Switch is the only Nintendo 'game in town' for both console and portable play, I guess I should start saving now...

Also, I haven't gone back to watch the video so maybe I missed something, but has touch screen (even optionally) been confirmed?  (No possibility for another Picross 3D!) It did look like dual-screen has died for this generation (sniff!).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:25:12 PM by Tween20 »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
So a high powered portable with detachable controllers and a TV dock that upscales the image?
I haven't followed rumors very much, but is that about the situation we're looking at?

Mixed feelings on this.
* I'm worried that third party devs will port a few games over and then disappear, much like Wii U. Until proven otherwise, I've lost faith in Nintendo's ability to keep third parties involved.
* Battery life is a concern, and so is build quality. (3DS didn't live up to my expectations for a Nintendo handheld, although Wii U controller has been more solid than I expected.)
* Pricing is a question. Will it all come in one box?  I have to assume so... although the TV dock certainly seems optional. Can you replace parts of the hardware (notably: break-off controllers) separately?
* Backwards compatibility looks like a complete write-off, so I can't sell existing hardware to subsidize the purchase unless I dump all my games too.

Canadian currency is very weak right now. When the New 3DS XL console is still sitting at roughly $260 CAD after taxes, I can't see this being less than $500 CAD. That's going to be a very tough sell for many people.

Comments about this being "Wii U 2.0" aren't really fair - this accomplishes some of the same goals by gamers to continue playing without access to their primary TV, but does so in a very different way than Wii U off-screen play.

Negativity aside, it looks like a pretty slick implementation overall. The concept of making games a universal experience is good, and I think that having Nintendo merge their portable/console development teams to focus on a single platform is a great idea overall - no reason to split development assets, especially when games are getting bigger and more expensive to make. (Of course I say that as they start mobile development... so there will still be some splittage.)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:47:31 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »
That 3rd party support right now looks unprecedented.

Let's just hope its the good kind of unprecedented, and not the EA version.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline mustbeburt

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »
On top of the absence of a touch screen, I think it's also worth pointing out that we didn't see any sign of motion control.  This video definitely confirms they are reeling in their hardware back to basic functionality.  Yes, detachable controllers are inventive, but what we see in this video is a system that plays games with a controller - period.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
This more or less what I always imagined the NX concept would turn out to be-- and so far I'm not disappointed, though that could change depending on price, etc. Is there any word whether the separating parts of the controls contain rumble, tilt controls, Wii-style pointer? Will it be compatible with 3DS cards? I have to assume the screen will be touch sensitive-- they have to accommodate the backlog of Wii U games no one played on the original hardware, so everything the Wii U can do the Switch should support too. One thing that worries me though, is the name-- it sounds too much like an accessory, which was precisely what the Wii U's downfall was.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
The dock for the controller seems to up its range and battery life considering it seems like the blue light stayed on after you take them out. The Pro-controller still has the D-pad while the joycon have a spilt for easier multiplayer.

As least so far Nintendo has hit all the right notes with the unveiling in terms of communicating what it is. It seems what the Wii U was being hyped up by people in being before the unveiling and the leak of the Project Café. Just the small sampling of games they showed make it a day one for me. (Plus considering I get my taxes around that time that is what it is going for.

As for the touch screen it seems to still have it considering some of the developers are mobile developers, and rumors have that the SDKs have a multi-touch screen.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 12:50:41 PM »
... Will it be compatible with 3DS cards? I have to assume the screen will be touch sensitive-- they have to accommodate the backlog of Wii U games no one played on the original hardware, so everything the Wii U can do the Switch should support too. ...

Don't count on either 3DS/DS or Wii U compatibility. This is a single-screen device, although it has the capability to push that single screen to a TV using the dock. That would effectively kill any chance of backwards compatibility with those systems.

There has been no mention/display of speical controls either - not touch, nor pointer, nor motion. Doesn't mean they won't be supported, but it's probably not a smart idea to expect them unless more information is revealed.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 01:01:13 PM »
I'm just glad it appears to be a hybrid, as I hope this means all of Nintendo's output will go to just one system instead of two.

Otherwise, the lack of apparent motion/pointing or touch screen when playing at home is disappointing. I guess it's difficult to offer everything, but I for one always liked those ideas and will miss them.

To me, the games looked like tech demo / proof of concept kind of stuff, so I don't think they were a glimpse of the actual games. I'm still not expecting a Mario platformer or Mario Kart anywhere near launch, but I guess you never know. At least it looks like there will be a Splatoon 2 instead of just an enhanced port.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 01:04:47 PM »

* Backwards compatibility looks like a complete write-off, so I can't sell existing hardware to subsidize the purchase unless I dump all my games too.

That'll be the case for Wii U discs for sure, but it could very well still be compatible with 3DS cards (won't support 3D obviously, but neither does the 2DS). And if you had features in mind, not just media, if you look at the design, not only is it still possible for the all the hardware features from Wii and Wii U to still be in there, it certainly looks to me like it was designed with the intent to support them all (the separated handed controls mirror the Wii remote-Nunchuk combo). Of course, just because the accelometer and pointer features may have been in mind during the design stages doesn't mean they weren't still ultimately dropped for cost concerns. But I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Offline NullNoMore

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 01:09:02 PM »
Ryo_Hazuki-san on Miiverse says the cards are different sized than 3ds (somewhat larger), battery life is 8-9 hours, no touch screen (yet).

The controllers look kind of small -- I'm good, I'm snack-sized, but would they cramp bigger players?

Anyone know if there is any difference in the Japanese trailer? And how can I view/drool over it?

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »
... Will it be compatible with 3DS cards? I have to assume the screen will be touch sensitive-- they have to accommodate the backlog of Wii U games no one played on the original hardware, so everything the Wii U can do the Switch should support too. ...

Don't count on either 3DS/DS or Wii U compatibility. This is a single-screen device, although it has the capability to push that single screen to a TV using the dock. That would effectively kill any chance of backwards compatibility with those systems.

I guess, I initially missed the fact that the two screens weren't used together... but it certainly looks like it could be compatible with a special touch screen add-on-- and there's no doubt they'll find a way to make Wii U games playable on the new platform-- they need to make money off those games that no one played on the original hardware.