Author Topic: Madden Skipping Wii U in 2013  (Read 19768 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Madden Skipping Wii U in 2013
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 08:43:54 AM »
It's fairly well documented on NWR that the only non-Mario "sports" game I like is NBA Jam so I've never cared for Madden. However, this is TERRIBLE news. Even if you don't like or play Madden, you should want the game released on Nintendo hardware EVERY year. Madden was also the most obvious game that could benefit from the GamePad.

While I wouldn't have bought or played Madden this year, I'm pretty disappointed in this news. It makes Nintendo and Wii U look very bad. Dreamcast didn't have Madden either, but at least Sega was able to fill the void with NFL 2K.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 09:10:44 AM »
If Nintendo was smart, they would do a Nintendo All Stars Football game. Put characters from each franchise they have into it.

It would sell millions. No, really, it would. They need to forget the Japan fanbase, or have Retro do it. Or Next Level games. But make an American Football game already. With little effort (online play) it would be better than Madden.

Amen to that !!!

I actually bought madden for wii launch and didn't care for realistic tone , I preferred blitz but sadly EA controls that too . This is a ugly low blow to Nintendo and just gives more companies an excuse
Not to support Nintendo . Downward spiral is hard to get out of .
I sort if this this new generation is doomed , I think the sales of Ps4 and Xbox 720 won't be that much better than Wii u
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:13:39 AM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
I love Madden, and have always gotten it on Nintendo systems. I'm severely bummed out.
However, this decision likely wasn't made because EA is a company made up of monsters. They probably don't see the sales expectations of Madden Wii U as worth it. Look at the Wii U userbase right now. It's mostly people like the ones commenting here thinking they are sooooo awesome because they dump on a series that isn't meant for them because they don't like football video games.
I'd love to say that EA will come back to the Wii U in 2014, but they never did it with the DS or 3DS, and it  looks like they're skipping Vita this year, too.
So, does someone want to make an Eddie Lacey player for me so I can put it into Madden 13?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Anyone dumping on Madden is totally missing the point. Even if it's not your thing, you should be disappointed that it's skipping Wii U this year and possibly the rest of the generation unless Nintendo can turn this ship around quickly. Nintendo needs to hit hard and fast at E3 even with their split presentations. Madden, besides being the ONLY licensed NFL game, is a status title. All consoles are expected to have it and if one doesn't, it's painfully noticeable. If we all thought public perception of Wii U was weak thus far, now it doesn't even have Madden.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »
Anyone dumping on Madden is totally missing the point.
Don't bash Madden just because you aren't familiar with it; everyone here gets so upset when people do that to Nintendo, but now are so quick to do so themselves when it's something they don't care for personally.

Look at the Wii U userbase right now. It's mostly people like the ones commenting here thinking they are sooooo awesome because they dump on a series that isn't meant for them because they don't like football video games.

Can I ask you a serious question? Who are you referring to? Because I've read every post here and did not see anyone bashing Madden. O_Be_1 criticised the quality of last year's port, deshayzilla stated his preference for less realistic sports games and Mr. Adolph Vega said he preferred Blitz, but I didn't hear anyone 'bashing' or 'dumping' on the series.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:27:58 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 09:29:39 AM »
Can I ask you a serious question? Who are you referring to? Because I've read every post here and did not see anyone bashing Madden. O_Be_1 criticised the quality of last year's port, deshayzilla stated his preference for less realistic sports games and Mr. Adolph Vega said he preferred Blitz, but I didn't hear anyone 'bashing' or 'dumping' on the series.
(because madden isn't very good)
This is right above one of your posts.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 09:32:48 AM »
(because madden isn't very good)
This is right above one of your posts.

Understandably, I couldn't even see that. Having now seen it though, I don't think stating a rather mild opinion constitutes as bashing or dumping on a series.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »
I was also referring to the greater Nintendo fanbase as well (throughout the social medias, the GAFs, etc.). Some reaction is of the "whatevah Madden's lame anyway LOL" variety.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 09:40:53 AM »
Fact is, Madden has had 27% drop year over year for the past five years. The franchise is not as important as it used to be. I think the lack of improvements over the previous year's title is partly to blame. If Madden had any competition, it would be in even worse shape. Like I said, it is getting Tony-Hawked into irrelevance.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2012/08/01/nfl-madden-13-looking-for-fan-interaction-to-revive-brand/

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »
This is horrifically stupid. Granted I don't buy Madden games (on any console) - the Wii U is the perfect platform for the game since you could literally make your own plays with the touch screen. Sure you can do that with a controller, but it wouldn't be nearly as intuitive as if could be on Wii U.

But yes, a new Madden game every year is becoming pointless. Just make the game once and release roster and stat updates each year for like $20. When you think of something truly innovative then make a new version. It's kind of stupid to pay $60 every year when 95% of the stuff on the disc is the the same thing that was on it the year before.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:09:40 AM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 10:29:18 AM »
Yeah, I was bashing Madden a little bit. But it was partly a joke. Obviously some people like it and that's fine (and like others have said. Madden on the Wii U is a no brainer with the Gamepad).

My main point was that most people who already own Wii U's wouldn't buy the next Madden even if it did come to the platform. I'm never one to defend EA, but in this case they're probably right.

And what would happen if Madden did come to the Wii U? It wouldn't improve the Wii U's position any. It wouldn't sell systems. It sucks for the small number of people that this affects, but we can't expect EA to care..
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »
I'm a much bigger fan of the NCAA Football series, and I came to accept months ago that it would be a tall order to get it on Wii U... but Madden was my fallback.

That said, I've been growing more and more unhappy with EA's football games in recent years, so I was planning to skip this year anyways.

I wonder if the name change and next generation of consoles indicate that this year is a transition year for Madden, and after they find their footing on PS4/720 they'll re-evaluate.... but it doesn't seem likely. 

Hey Nintendo, it's time for Super Mario Pigskin.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
@NWR_Neal

Fair enough, I guess.

When I read those complaints about 'bashing' and 'dumping' (particularly your comment about 'It's mostly people like the ones commenting here..') I was really confused. My first thought was 'What f***ing thread are they reading?'. My second thought was that you guys didn't actually read the posts and just assumed that people would be bashing the series, lol.

As for my feelings on Madden? I have very found memories of playing the ones on the original Xbox. I never actually bought them because they became so iterative, but I would rent each new instalment for a couple of weeks each year and always had a blast. I also bought the Madden that launched with the Wii, which was...interesting. Between it and Twilight Princess though, I can't say it got much attention. I haven't played one since then though.

Whatever way you cut it, losing Madden is important. It's indicative of much larger problems I fear.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:08:43 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »
This isn't just EA passing on the Wii U, it's the NFL!  The NFL will want their game on damn near everything and I don't think it would be EA's decision alone to skip a console.  The NFL would be pissed if EA skipped a console because of personal feelings, it would have to be about money.  EA has obviously convinced the NFL that Madden on the Wii U won't make money.

This happened to the Dreamcast and was a very bad sign that the system had no real future but even then Sega had their own NFL game.  It was just EA rejecting the Dreamcast, not the entire NFL.  The Dreamcast failed despite having a viable alternative to Madden (and one that at the time was widely considered superior).  The Wii U will have nothing to replace Madden.  Hell, because of the exclusive NFL licence NOTHING can truly replace it.  That's just a big hole in the Wii U's library.  Sports games like Madden don't really sell consoles but that's really only because they're on everything.  For those that care, they play a part in the decision.  No one will buy a Wii U because it has Madden but the absence of Madden will lose sales to anyone where buying their annual NFL game is part of their routine.  Madden is effectively an expected feature that most people take for granted.

I regret any past "Nintendo is doomed" hyperbole because it all should have been saved for now.  The Wii U seems like it is totally finished.  This time next year I'll be buying one out of the clearance bin for the three or four decent games it will have by then.

Offline Stealth

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »
who cares honestly? Doesnt matter even in the slightest, nintendo always got a crap version

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »
This isn't just EA passing on the Wii U, it's the NFL!  The NFL will want their game on damn near everything and I don't think it would be EA's decision alone to skip a console.  The NFL would be pissed if EA skipped a console because of personal feelings, it would have to be about money.  EA has obviously convinced the NFL that Madden on the Wii U won't make money.

This happened to the Dreamcast and was a very bad sign that the system had no real future but even then Sega had their own NFL game.  It was just EA rejecting the Dreamcast, not the entire NFL.  The Dreamcast failed despite having a viable alternative to Madden (and one that at the time was widely considered superior).  The Wii U will have nothing to replace Madden.  Hell, because of the exclusive NFL licence NOTHING can truly replace it.  That's just a big hole in the Wii U's library.  Sports games like Madden don't really sell consoles but that's really only because they're on everything.  For those that care, they play a part in the decision.  No one will buy a Wii U because it has Madden but the absence of Madden will lose sales to anyone where buying their annual NFL game is part of their routine.  Madden is effectively an expected feature that most people take for granted.

I regret any past "Nintendo is doomed" hyperbole because it all should have been saved for now.  The Wii U seems like it is totally finished.  This time next year I'll be buying one out of the clearance bin for the three or four decent games it will have by then.
But the 3DS isn't getting madden, is it doomed as well?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2013, 12:54:03 PM »
Man Nintendo needs a training time skip. Ether that or a-get back on your feet-montage.

During the GameCube years I really thought Nintendo's franchises would pull them out of low sales. Absolutely nothing happened. After riding the coat tails of Wii Sports and Fit, seemed like Nintendo's franchises did better than ever. Now though, I don't know whats going to happen, I sure hope things turn around.

But then again I'm reminded of the GBA, DS, and the recent 3DS. I remember articles clear as bell for both the Gba and DS claiming its Nintendo's fault for not having the next Pokemon ready by launch. Then eventually it was the portable Playstations that became the under dogs and then blah blah blah hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

It will be interesting to see what a new Wii Sports could do and/or some spiritual successor to the series. Basically a new toy that people would go nuts over.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:19:07 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »
No, you won't. No Madden is bad news, but if you really think you'll be buying one from a clearance bin in a year, you have no idea what hyperbole means.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »
No, you won't. No Madden is bad news, but if you really think you'll be buying one from a clearance bin in a year, you have no idea what hyperbole means.

I'm going to take a guess and say it's an evolution of the Super Bowl but with elements of Tron?
Gouge away.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2013, 01:41:37 PM »

I'm basing this mostly on the lifespan of the Dreamcast which lasted in America from September 1999 to March 2001.  After the second Christmas the writing was on the wall and Sega pulled the plug so I give the Wii U two Christmas seasons as well.  Now Sega was in real trouble and Nintendo has the 3DS but will they prop up a failing Wii U or just cut their losses?  Bad Wii U news is just snowballing and it seems like unless it's Nintendo announcing a game in a Nintendo Direct, Wii U news is always bad.  It's only getting worse.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
Nintendo's fanbase is larger than Sega's.

Nintendo isn't in debt. Far from it, in fact.

Your prediction is flawed because it's based on faulty reasoning. Nintendo is no where near the position Sega was in. Nintendo can and has supported their own console with mostly first party offerings before. It's not ideal to say the least, but there's precedence for it. Again, losing Madden at least for this year is bad news, but it's hardly reason to pour a 40 on the curb for Wii U.

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »
Seriously. The worst the Wii U could do is Gamecube status. Dreamcasting isn't gonna happen.
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2013, 02:48:01 PM »
I'm basing this mostly on the lifespan of the Dreamcast which lasted in America from September 1999 to March 2001.  After the second Christmas the writing was on the wall and Sega pulled the plug so I give the Wii U two Christmas seasons as well.  Now Sega was in real trouble and Nintendo has the 3DS but will they prop up a failing Wii U or just cut their losses?  Bad Wii U news is just snowballing and it seems like unless it's Nintendo announcing a game in a Nintendo Direct, Wii U news is always bad.  It's only getting worse.

Please. You're not going to buy a Wii U at a bargain bin in the next 12 months. You'll be getting one with bundles of Mario Kart and/or Wind Waker HD and/or the new 3D Mario game. Sales will pick up and then we'll all go back to not caring that the yearly Madden was once again announced for Wii U.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »

Oh yes, the over 34 million people who bought Mario Kart Wii are going to see Mario Kart U this holiday and just completely ignore it because the system doesn't have a Madden game.  Yes that makes so much sense. ::)
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline PokemonTrainerZ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »
I see lots of people blaming Nintendo here, but I don't. So what if the WiiU isn't flying off the shelves? They can still make a damn good profit off the 360 and PS3 versions and hell whatever money it makes from the WiiU is just a bonus to them. Although I think this is more about the Origin situation than sells. EA needs to pull their heads out of their asses and start being an actual company.