Author Topic: Nintendo Not Hosting 'Large-Scale' Presentation at E3 2013  (Read 15775 times)

Offline Trogdor915

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Not Hosting 'Large-Scale' Presentation at E3 2013
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 12:26:48 AM »
Not too concerned. The purpose of E3 was originally mainly for impressing investors and press. Now impressing the fans/consumer has become equally as important so dividing up the conferences is fine with me. Also having a direct during E3 for each region makes it better suited for spreading across social media, which I am sure is a major goal for Nintendo.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 12:27:27 AM »
I, for one, welcome our new Nintendo Direct overlords.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 12:28:24 AM »
Cross posting from another forum.

Nintendo won't be limited to just giving each game a short 5 to 10 minute showing. Which is what they would be doing in a stage presentation with some clips being released later if we're lucky. Some games don't even make it to the presentation and are only talked about afterward. Wonderful 101 for example. This way each game can possibly be given the attention it deserves in a long Nintendo Direct (that is carefully put together)  or several mini-directs devoted to each game or a group of games during the entire E3 period.

Imagine a mini-direct 20 minutes long just on the new 3D Mario game. Or Mario Kart. Or Wind Waker. Or Monolith Soft's game. On Bayonetta 2. Whatever third party games there are as well. Include in that interviews. They do this already with games like Animal Crossing for example.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 12:32:57 AM »
No more Ravvi Drums, no more cute puppies, no more wireless interference in Skyward Sword, no more NintendoLand fireworks.

And there was much rejoicing.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »
Instead of reading shitty impressions of a video someone watched,  then grainy second hand video and finally the direct feed from Nintendo we get to jump to the direct feed immediately.

Any big game announcement will be picked up by the usual press whether Nintendo does a conference about it, directly streams it to consumers, or just drops it on the ground and walks away.

Nintendo is also still there to do any of the mainstream press crap, which isn't a giant show aimed at people watching at home like E3 has become. There will also still be demos which is the only real benefit of having people physically there.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:25:56 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 12:40:42 AM »
No more Ravvi Drums, no more cute puppies, no more wireless interference in Skyward Sword, no more NintendoLand fireworks.

And there was much rejoicing.
Also no sales data.

On the other hand, no Iwata and Reggie playing tennis and wii fit on stage and no blonde models 3DS parade.

Offline Ron-F

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 12:51:45 AM »
Considering the media will naturally focus their coverage on the new consoles by Sony and Microsoft, this is not a bad strategy. It will avoid direct competition and can be scheduled in order to maximize the impact, probably a few days before E3.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 01:03:02 AM »
I'm certainly going to echo sentiments that have already been expressed: 

- Directs are the future, straight to the facts with minimal fluff while still offering the fun of a presentation.  Well, minus awkward Cammie moments but with plenty of banana-stare JPEG-spawning moments.
- E3 is no longer the source of all the biggest stories of the year, as proven by Sony's & Microsoft's console reveal events.  Direct communication between companies and their customers has allowed for Direct-style reveals throughout the year.  This year will be built on demos.
- No more sales data and shouting at our computer screens for the games to come back.

At the same time, it can't be ignored that Nintendo's success with Directs only appeals to current fans/customers and people who pay attention to the wider game industry.  The mainstream market is still oblivious to the Wii U, and the only way they'll be reached is through a massive advertising overhaul.  From bus-stop ads to TV commercials to talk show feature spots (which particularly helped spread the original Wii), advertising is Nintendo's key to plenty of non-owners who are either unaware of the console itself or of content that might appeal to them.  Whether or not they decide to watch Directs, they'll still have channels of information that can easily be accessed.  Nintendo of America just needs to put in the effort to make it happen.  From there, the software will do the rest.

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2013, 01:19:02 AM »
I think this is a brilliant move by Nintendo. This not only helps control their product message being delivered to the main, but very different, crowds that E3 serves (retail, media, and gamers), it also makes it hard to compare their info presentation to that of Microsoft and Sony. I don't know what people were expecting Nintendo to pull out to essentially "win" E3 this year in the press event category (games, I know), but unless Microsoft AND Sony actively try to sabotage their own pressers, they are pretty much guaranteed to have great events that's gonna have the internet going crazy.

Limping as it is to E3, there's no way a traditional press event for the WiiU would stand up to this year's offering by the other two. But thankfully Nintendo themselves seem to be aware of this also and are attacking the competition from a different angle instead of head-on. Releasing info in concentrated bursts, tailored to the specific audience it's being presented to, and spreading this out over the coarse of E3 instead of 90% of it in a 1-2 hour presser is a better strategy. This also allows them to not be lost in obscurity (or embarrassment) between the two new boxes duking it out like godzilla monsters.

I think this is actually a smart move on Nintendo's part. Every time they introduce stuff to the "internet at large" they get crucified, and so much of their product is most impressive when getting people hands-on play time anyways.

This is Nintendo specifically targeting Western media without a whole bunch of distractions or opinions shaped by the internet echo chamber.  They would have been drowned out by Sony and Microsoft at E3 anyways, as that's what the press will chase, the big stories.  This sits them down and forces them to focus on Nintendo products in a controlled environment.

Everyone says E3 is a terrible environment to absorb specifics when demoing games. Unlike the other 2 competitors (who will likely be expected to rely more on tech demos and trailers than mature software when showing off their latest hardware), Nintendo will be relying soley on games to stand out.  In order for said games to make an impact, what Lindy said makes sense and further makes me believe this is the right direction to go.

Live stream and recorded stream of the press conference via Wii U and 3DS.

Time-limited downloadable demos for ALL games that were going to be shown off on the sales floor, with video introductions by Nintendo staff talking about the game, what to do, etc.

Miiverse interaction for the demos, so folks can ask staff questions about the games.

E3?  Who needs it.  Nintendo Direct, baby.

Because they are breaking away from tradition with how they're handling E3, they are now free to do whatever they want with their info. If they actually implement even half of those suggestions, Nintendo could pull significant attention away from their competitor and also cause a big paradigm shift in how to do E3 (at least among the big 3). I really hope they leverage Miiverse and the eShop during E3. 

I know it's silly to feel so invested in the success of Nintendo at E3, particularly in the minds of non-nintendo fans. But for the first time since the WiiU launched, I actually feel more positive about E3 for them now because of this new strategy and the potential it holds.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline classicgamer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
    • The nintendo show youtube
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 01:25:27 AM »
E3 Is boing anyways i Go every year and the last years E# was  huge let down and i may go this year but i really don't give a flip about sony next gen console is the same stuff like the ps3 with a little added power and using outdated pc parts so again Wii U may not be as powerful on looks but if i want looks i have a pc now Wii U im there for fun gaming an d the other two just don't have it...

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 03:30:33 AM »
Oh dear.

So Nintendo has absolutely nothing to show. Just some cheap and nasty shovelware.  But it's ok!!! Nintendo are hosting some smaller do's so people can play games they announced 18 months ago. 

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 03:44:57 AM »
So Nintendo has absolutely nothing to show. Just some cheap and nasty shovelware.
Nintendoomed. Skyfalled. Iwatas are taking over the planet. Hide your kids! Run for your lives!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 04:25:40 AM »
Taking this as a sign that Nintendo doesn't have anything to show is ridiculous. For one, we already know of several things they'll be delving into in more detail.

As has been pointed out, Nintendo's press conference last year was fairly lousy, and since then they've had several very successful Nintendo Directs. Can you blame them for wanting to do the thing they're good at instead of the thing they fail at at least as often as they succeed.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chad Sexington

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • UO Thief
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 06:12:44 AM »
This doesn't bother me.

I think most people consume Nintendo (and general video game) news through secondary sources like websites, youtube videos, and podcasts.  The information will get out there regardless.
12 years of Ultima Online - www.uothief.com - Twitter: @UOThief

Offline regin

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »
So Reggie is leaving and they couldn't find a person to replace him on stage? They've announced everything in previous Nintendo Directs and simply want people to go hands-on with the tiny lineup they could scrape together? They've pulled a Wind Waker with one or more of the games and don't want to risk people freaking out over a trailer before the press can give gameplay impressions? Can't wait to find out.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2013, 07:19:47 AM »
Kinda shocked myself.  E3 coverage is massive--my local paper even covers it (though it's usually just a page or two) and without a big show both MS and Sony will get the most attention which is going show up in overall sales.  A good example would be Sony's Vita--little to no coverage at e3 last year = poor sales thoughtout the year.

Was expecting the opposite from nintendo--expected to see a BIGGER show, an all or nothing, since the WII U is struggling so much especially with third party support.  But it sounds like nintendo didn't have the "cards" to play so they aren't even going try :(

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2013, 08:08:08 AM »
This was probably in motion since last year - or at least we should've seen it coming when they announced the 3DSXL two weeks after E3 in a Direct.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2013, 08:52:49 AM »
Regardless of the reasoning, I feel this decision will only stand to enforce the view held by some gamers that Nintendo is not capable of competing with Microsoft and Sony. I can totally appreciate many of the arguments that have been put forward for this being a good decision, and to a certain extent I myself even think it makes sense, but for many people this is going to be read as a sign of weakness. E3 is brash, it is bloated, and in some ways it's actually kind of distasteful, but it does play a huge role in the video game industry.

E3 is a platform for the console manufacturers; a platform which allows them to present their vision on a grand scale, to boast about their successes, to excite the fan base and to win hearts (and also to win crucial coverage from those news outlets which only seem to acknowledge video games when projected on the scale of something like E3). E3 is also a time for console manufacturers to demonstrate confidence and assuredness. It is an opportunity for them to stand before the industry and allow themselves to be compared to their competitors. Removing yourself from that stage is a huge decision, and one which could be read as arrogance, weakness or intelligence. Unfortunately for Nintendo in it's current position it's a decision which is unlikely to be read as the latter.

This is the E3 in which Sony and Microsoft pull back the curtain on their next generation consoles. With all three consoles now being announced, E3 2013 marks the beginning of the next generation. Regardless of the reasoning behind the decision, by not having a major press conference Nintendo is making an unhelpful distinction between the Wii U and it's competitors. The message? Wii U is not a next generation console.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:10:49 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2013, 09:07:15 AM »
It's a gamble in terms of audience perception, but if Nintendo have a lot to show, it could pay off very nicely for them. As others have already argued, Nintendo Direct, as a communication format, has been going well for them, while E3 press conferences, for all their grandeur and spectacle, are often overblown and not always suitable to what's being shown (not to mention that it's probably a not-insignificant expense for the publishers.)

Regardless of what people are saying now, they could be singing a different tune in a couple of months, if there's a good showing. Until then, it's not really possible to judge if this is an intelligent move.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2013, 09:25:13 AM »
This is them makign every effort to step away from MEGATONZSS!!"334* and have several, smaller, more frequent, microtons instead.

In a way that makes sense.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »
E3 Conference hype is HUGE during E3 but like a bright burning candle it fades really fast as well.  Just because Nintendo isn't giving a HUGE at once conference doesn't mean they aren't going to have a big E3.  In fact I seriously wonder about the ROI on the big Conference at E3 now.

When you think about it what does E3 get you that holding your own event doesn't?  More Bodies.  Living Breathing Game Reporting or Investing Bodies.  Personally I think it be a better strategy to get those Bodies Playing your game in a good Atmosphere.  Word of Mouth even in this day and age is still the best form of advertising.

If Nintendo Plows that Money into a series of E3 Hands On events that could be a good returns.  Take the time have a Press only Pikmin 3 game and present.  Have a Investors/buyers benefits of stocking Nintendo Event.  Make the people you want to evangalize you into evangalist.  Give them good Environments to explore your games with focus.  Have part of the developement team on hand mingling while the Press is playing their game to answer questions and make that bond.

IN the end make your E3 experience for the people whose message will be amplified something that when they go to the other players they go "Why couldn't they do this more like Nintendo."

Also if your Smart you design these in such a way you can take them on the Road.  Pikmin Event Nashville, TN.  Wind Waker Event Baltimore. Etc Etc.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:57:38 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2013, 10:04:37 AM »
I'll miss seeing a Nintendo presentation, but there are a lot of business justifications (most of which are covered above) why this move makes sense.

Place your bets now: How long before we get the first mainstream report that this is Nintendo's first step towards becoming a third party developer for PlayStation, XBox, and iOS?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2013, 10:43:43 AM »
I'll miss seeing a Nintendo presentation, but there are a lot of business justifications (most of which are covered above) why this move makes sense.

Place your bets now: How long before we get the first mainstream report that this is Nintendo's first step towards becoming a third party developer for PlayStation, XBox, and iOS?
I thought it already happened.  Like a moment after the PResser.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2013, 01:28:24 PM »
Nintendo Directs will make sure that we get some exciting Nintendo news every once in a while.  But the timing to remove themselves from E3 is terrible.  I could see it in the future but THIS YEAR?  The Wii U is struggling and Nintendo as a console maker might as well not exist to anyone but their most loyal fans.  This was the time to have an impressive E3 press conference to show that the Wii U does matter and that Nintendo matters.  This is the first E3 for the PS4 and Xbox 720 and Nintendo decides to step back?  That just looks like everything bad anyone has heard about the Wii U is true and Nintendo really is doomed and finished and irrelevent.  That doesn't mean they are but, holy ****, could you play to that image any more perfectly?  Nintendo is so unbelievably shitty at that.  People form some negative image of Nintendo in their heads and then Nintendo seemingly goes out of the way to reaffirm that image.  It looks like the Wii U cannot compete with the other systems so its hiding from them.

It looks like Nintendo is quitting.  *I* don't think they are but for someone who does not follow them closely it really looks like it.  With the weak third party support and the glorified last gen hardware and now this, it comes across that Nintendo is more insular and are seperating themselves from the rest of the industry.  Like Nintendo doesn't make "real" videogame systems, but instead make some bizarre specialized Nintendo machine for kids, casuals and Nintendo fans.  They can say they "don't compete" but they don't decide that.  They make videogame systems and so do MS and Sony.  The market justifiably sees that as direct competition and often a sale for one company is a lost sale for the others because videogame systems are expensive and most households can only afford one of them.

This really makes me pessimistic about the Wii U's future (well I guess "more pessimistic" is the term to use).  I think that pulling out of E3 at this point is an incredibly dumb PR mistake and will poison the image of the console in the minds of gamers.  Nintendo really needed to make a splash at E3 to improve the image of the Wii U and now we already know they won't even attempt to do so.  I was willing to give the Wii U time because that worked wonders for the DS but this just seems so damaging to the console's image that I figure it's toast.  It's got one more Christmas in it and then Nintendo will pull the plug at some point in 2014 when the sales figures aren't what they need them to be.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »
I saw this coming, I swear. For awhile now, I have been mulling over sending a question for the NWR boys about whether they think E3 is still relevant or whatever, but never got around to forming the proper question. No need now, they'll discuss it anyway.

I have held the view that E3 is steadily declining in importance for awhile now (a few years). However  we folks that frequent gaming media sites don't get an objective view because the media folks love E3. They love being sent by their outlets, their insider, early access, their treatment as "special" by game companies, and all the hype and noise. I get the impression E3 must seem very important to those journalists who cover it.

But then Nintendo started doing a very interesting thing: they started controlling their message again. They started doing their own, quirky Nintendo Directs and effectively circumvented gaming media who, in the west at least, have becoming increasingly negative toward Nintendo. The bowing out of doing a big E3 splashy press conference is a further extension of message control. It is also further proof, if any were needed, that the folks at Nintendo really mean it when they say they do not directly compete with the other 2 console gaming companies, and really do not take into account what those two are up to when Nintendo makes decisions. Nintendo has always done, and continues to do, its own thing.

Nintendo is once again the trailblazer. Already we have seen the other two companies follow the Nintendo Direct model with how they have chosen to reveal their new consoles. They held (will be holding) direct events. I predict Nintendo's move here will, in retrospect, be pointed to as the beginning of the end of E3, at least as we know it now.

I predict that, over the next 2 to 3 years, Nintendo will further reduce it's presence at E3, possibly bowing out entirely. It will rely more on Directs, or some further innovations. I predict the other 2 console makers will follow suit, though in their own way. We may see E3 reduced to a software showcase by publishers and the big 3 do their own separate events at different times of the year.

We may see Spaceworld West!

Oui, Mon Gars!