Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1586889 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U - The Road to E3 - 6/11/13 51ish days
« Reply #5725 on: April 25, 2013, 03:33:15 AM »
Would people still be saying E3 was pointless if we knew that Nintendo had a big announcement that was going to be made?  Or is it just because Nintendo has nothing new to show or announce that  means E3 is dead?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: April 25, 2013, 03:42:56 AM »
So this news is pretty WTF? On one hand maybe its better to break the event into smaller shows if there is a lot of information. On the other hand knowing Nintendo this could be because they have no information. I just look forward to the info dump, and I'm always wondering wtf is Nintendo doing? It just seems like there should be more coming out of the pipeline than what does come out of the pipeline.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: April 25, 2013, 05:49:46 AM »
More like Nintendo knows what they've got is ass compared to the PS4 reveal and don't want the Wii U to be even more butchered than it is already

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: April 25, 2013, 09:10:08 AM »
Would people still be saying E3 was pointless if we knew that Nintendo had a big announcement that was going to be made?  Or is it just because Nintendo has nothing new to show or announce that  means E3 is dead?

I would still say it was pointless because any and all big announcements could be made in the direct they make around e3. They just announced the freaking sequel to A Link to the Past in a Direct about a week ago and that would typically be huge jaw dropping news at E3. Instead of a live stage show that is 90% numbers, sales, technical screwups and investor talk we will get the portion we care about in a video immediately instead of waiting for it to drip through the audience and get to us eventually.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: April 25, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »
Noooooooooo!!!! I want more wii music gifs!!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5730 on: April 25, 2013, 08:47:03 PM »

I totally agree with teh Sessler.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5731 on: April 25, 2013, 11:27:13 PM »
Kind of crazy. It'll be interesting to see if this is a success. It could DRAMATICALLY change the way E3 is done. I mean, how much of Microsoft's presentation was shitty in years past? Fake Kinect demos, arbitrary concerts, and circuses (both figurative and literal). Mean while, Sony isn't much beter. The Nintendo Directs give Nintendo 100% of the attention when they want it, and they don't have to be big spectacles. This could actually be a pretty big step up.

I will say that it does seem like they might be blowing their load on the directs, but they're not going to E3 with nothing. And at the very least, there will be demos. With Nintendo embracing the modern era a little more each day fiscal quarter, I bet we'll see all the E3 demos on the eShops soon after.

I think MS and Sony could follow suit, if this works. And who knows how that'll change E3 as a whole.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: April 25, 2013, 11:56:07 PM »
I can see Nintendo making one pre E3 direct talking about games that will be on playable on E3 showfloor and then at the end of the week yet another, teasing future projects.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: April 26, 2013, 01:36:12 AM »
I can see Nintendo making one pre E3 direct talking about games that will be on playable on E3 showfloor and then at the end of the week yet another, teasing future projects.

This is the thing. Any E3 direct will gather all the attention a press conference would without the boring bits. Every gaming site will post everything whether it be a direct or whispered by a booth babe while the writer tries to talk his way into a handjob. The hands-on, impressions and shitty youtubes of demos will still be there. The little mainstream press that goes will also still get inside access at an event.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: April 26, 2013, 02:06:43 AM »
whispered by a booth babe while the writer tries to talk his way into a handjob.
But what if booth babe will be Santa Claus?
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: April 26, 2013, 02:59:08 AM »
I think Nintendo made a great move today, albeit a bit crude in delivering the news, but what the hell. By cutting off the fancy presentation Nintendo can directly approach gamers, the same way they have done with the Nintendo Directs. I also see this as an opportunity for Nintendo to bail on that stupid E3 race to see who won or lost, or have the presentation be graded by the likes of gameinformer. It's time for Nintendo to abandon ship on trying to compete with "next-Gen" consoles, instead do what they have done with the 3DS, ramp up game production and bring quality Nintendo titles to the market, and Wii U will pick up slowly but surely.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: April 26, 2013, 08:07:18 AM »
I here that E3 is no longer important and a good segment of that casual audience doesn't watch it. But doesn't that only happen when its not advertised properly. I mean last year about five days before Microsoft's e3 conference it was the giant main tile saying watch our E3 conference to see entertainment. The day of the tile said click here and took you to a live app player where Microsoft streamed their conference for xbox live members. My thing is I saw quite a few people on my firendlist who aren't the average know what E3 is gamer watching it after probably seeing the Ad for the past six days.
I'm still wondering why Nintendo doesn't due the same and have a forced Wara Wara Plaza message from Iwata or Reggie saying the next E3 or Nintendo direct is at a certain time and download out special Nintendo direct software (or Nintendo channel) where you can live stream the direct/conference and tha watch gameplay footage afterwards.

Just may an app version of the E3 all access website they've had the past three years in a row.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: April 26, 2013, 08:49:19 AM »
E3 is far less important today and has been for quite a few years because it's so much easier to communicate and reach others now.

The problem for Nintendo isn't how their message gets out there. It will get out there through all the traditional and non-traditional channels. The problem, rather, is communicating the right message. So far, Nintendo has done a terrible job explaining to people what the hell a Wii U is. Granted, the delays and lack of software is probably the most pressing issue, but there are still people who don't know Wii U is a new console. We can all point and laugh at those people's ignorance, but really, we should be pointing and laughing at Nintendo's ignorance. Explaining that a new product is, in fact, a new product is the bare minimum of what a company should accomplish through a product announcement. I'm hoping that Nintendo really focuses on rectifying that this year and learns from this mistake in the future.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: April 26, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »
This is old news but...

http://wiiudaily.com/2011/07/wii-u-a-great-fit-for-id-softwares-new-engine/

http://techland.time.com/2013/04/03/the-development-hell-of-doom-4/

the timing of their development cycle interests me.

this is what i was really looking for
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas

As soon as i showed my roommate my wiiu he was interested in what a fallout game would be like on wiiu because the character has a handheld device called a pitbull that the WiiU tablet could emulate perfectly.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: April 26, 2013, 04:08:34 PM »

As soon as i showed my roommate my wiiu he was interested in what a fallout game would be like on wiiu because the character has a handheld device called a pitbull that the WiiU tablet could emulate perfectly.

It's a "Pipboy." I point this out only because the mental image of having a pitbull clamped around your wrist for the whole game amuses me to no end.  ;D

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: April 26, 2013, 07:47:32 PM »
Sounds like 2K games is also joining the E3 is not important bandwagon. Not really sure it means anything, but they aren't even having any show floor presence.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5741 on: April 26, 2013, 07:52:09 PM »
Sounds like 2K games is also joining the E3 is not important bandwagon. Not really sure it means anything, but they aren't even having any show floor presence.

Um, where did you read this? Because the official E3 website says they are confirmed to be an exhibitor: http://e313.mapyourshow.com/5_0/exhibitor_details.cfm?exhid=tak4212
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: April 26, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »
My biggest problem with all the hooplah is the assumption that Nintendo won't have anything to show the general press or worse, Nintendo won't be doing anything at E3 at all. We don't know how everything will be presented but to think people outside of the gaming press won't hear about it is laughable.

Now that brings me to another topic, the only time the non-gaming media cares about video games is when they see the Wii Fits and Kinects. Batman, 3D Mario and Uncharted mean nothing to them. People speaking like these E3 conferences have made or broke games with the general audience. Come on now!

E3 on tv? What is that? Spike TV? Ha! Some quick passing footage of bald space marines blowing stuff up on the local news program? Don't make me laugh. Do some of you even realize MANY gamers aren't even aware of E3? We live in our bubble where we think we know what everyone else knows and we've got all the answers to everyone else problems but our own. If Nintendo has 2 smaller presentations, one about sales, potential trends, the bottom line, etc, with the other being a like 45 minute  reel of constant trailers and brief explanations in between while the press just sits there watching the premade footage I will be happy as clam.

I'm a bit upset about it because I was hoping to watch the conference this year in person. Yet how often do we sit through the live feed with chat rooms up complaining that the rep won't shut up about puppies, sales data and their kids? If Nintendo sits the press in a theater and makes them watch a movie like I envisioned above then I am all for it. As for the old way? Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: April 27, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »

Um, where did you read this? Because the official E3 website says they are confirmed to be an exhibitor: http://e313.mapyourshow.com/5_0/exhibitor_details.cfm?exhid=tak4212

http://www.2kgames.com/blog/2k-this-spring
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: April 27, 2013, 09:34:35 PM »
Any chance of a price cut for the Wii U t be announced at E3?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5745 on: April 28, 2013, 12:26:29 AM »
Any chance of a price cut for the Wii U t be announced at E3?

I read somewhere about the possibility of the basic coming with Nintendo Land but staying the same price. Though I think a price drop will only come if holiday sales are bad.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: April 28, 2013, 02:13:50 AM »
Despite not having a presentation here is what will be at the show.
New Mario Kart
New Mario
New Zelda(s)
Smash Bros

Rumored to be at the show(last year)
Retro's new thing:The one that they hired the top industry talent to work on.

This slipped through the news?

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/satoru-iwata-noa-ceo/

Iwata will be overseeing NOA in the near future.....

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: April 28, 2013, 02:20:14 AM »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: April 28, 2013, 02:28:51 AM »
It slipped as in its not at the top and people didn't talk about it and it was 3 days ago and this was the first of me hearing about it. Iwata having a hands on approach over on the western front could be a good thing. I don't think theres been much more than a marketing firm here since peter main, howard lincoln, and Minoru Arakawa retired.  At the moment Nintendo seems to have just Retro, and NST doesn't compare to Retro. What they need are 5 Retro studios Equivelant studios or better 3rd party support or somewhere in the middle of that.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5749 on: May 03, 2013, 10:03:50 PM »
CVG is reporting that Nintendo plans to release the 3D Mario platformer Iwata announced in January's Nintendo Direct sometime before October: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/404493/nintendo-plots-wii-u-resurgence-with-3d-mario-by-october/

This is not unheard of, Super Mario Sunshine was released less than a year after GameCube's launch and Super Mario Galaxy came out less than a year after Wii's launch.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20