Author Topic: Episode 718: On the Edge of Blue  (Read 37263 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 718: On the Edge of Blue
« on: April 18, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »

Get your eyes checked.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/56958/episode-718-on-the-edge-of-blue

Jon is back, and it is time for us to do an email. Perhaps, the theory goes, starting the show with this task would allow us to do more than AN email. Shockingly, perhaps improbably, this turns out to be true. Four whole emails are answered in this week's Listener Mail. Am I double-counting one topic that received two emails? Just let me have this. This week we investigate: if Nintendo plans more Directs before whatever E3 2021 has become, does Nintendo really intend to release a new Switch iteration this year, and what RPGs can be completed in ten or so hours. You can ask us to ferret out the truth by sending us an email.

After a break, we tackle a shorter New Business segment. We have to start with Jon's feelings on Monster Hunter Rise. but given we spent most of an hour on it last week, we're going to dig in deeper in a subsequent episode. James promised an update on Bravely Default II, and now that he's done it turns out it is a bit tough to talk about. He's also reviewing Poison Control, a game that is unfathomably "anime." Gui is using his Apple Arcade trial to play Mistwalker's PSX-era inspired JRPG Fantasian. From the mind of Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi, it turns out Mistwalker can make some solid games.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NullNoMore

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 718: On the Edge of Blue
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 06:22:13 PM »
Thanks for responding about short JRPGs/RPGs. Because the names often defy any kind of sense, here are the titles mentioned.

Switch:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country
Cosmic Star Heroine
SEGA AGES Phantasy Star
Seiken Densetsu games (Mana series, also on 3ds)
Collection of SaGa: Final Fantasy Legend (esp. Final Fantasy Legend 2)
West of Loathing
Ys Origin (possibly any Ys that is not 8 or 9)
Moon
Tokyo RPG Factory games (Oninaki etc.)
STAR OCEAN First Departure R
the Atelier games (Atelier Ryza 2 is the most recent)
The Alliance Alive (also on 3ds)

3ds/ds:
Crimson Shroud
Retro Game Challenge (Guadia Quest:Feast of the Mad King)

Wii:
The Last Story

Elsewhere:
Half Minute Hero

Not recommended: KEMCO short jrpgs, all of them.

I admit to being weak to anything published by Circle Entertainment (ASH for 3ds, Mercenaries Saga).