Author Topic: Indie-Cember is here! Play your favorite indies all month long!  (Read 32596 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Indie-Cember is here! Play your favorite indies all month long!
« on: December 02, 2020, 12:17:36 AM »
It's December, and that means it's time to celebrate Indie-Cember all month long! I should've posted this sooner so you all could sign up in advance, but hopefully you can understand that life has been a little hectic lately.

What is Indie-Cember? Well, it's a lot like our other themed months here at Nintendo World Report. You tell the group which indie games you're playing this month, and then post about the games as you're playing them. I'll update this post with our progress as the month continues!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Indie-Cember is here! Play your favorite indies all month long!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 12:24:01 AM »
I'm playing Madden 2019, Final Fantasy 7 and Pokemon Sword.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 12:34:57 AM »
... for anyone who wants a recommendation for a game to play, Moon Remix RPG was released on Switch in English by onion games after 23 years of being Japan only. It's a beautiful, strange little game and I absolutely adore it to pieces.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 03:40:02 AM »
I'm currently in the postgame content of my third playthrough of Celeste, which might be my favorite game on the current generation of consoles, indie or not.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 03:26:46 PM »
I am playing Shantae and the Seven Sirens on Switch. So far it is great, combining the gameplay of Pirate's Curse with the HD graphics of Half-Genie Hero. It even has cut scenes! I should be finished before the month is through so I will post again with some final thoughts.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 01:57:36 PM by Mr. Bungle »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 06:26:43 PM »
Hold up where did Shocktober go.

I want to finally start Manifold Garden this month, so that'll be my pick. Looks to be a 5-10 hour affair, which seems manageable.

... for anyone who wants a recommendation for a game to play, Moon Remix RPG was released on Switch in English by onion games after 23 years of being Japan only. It's a beautiful, strange little game and I absolutely adore it to pieces.

Still on my wishlist too, hope to get this one day.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »
Hold up where did Shocktober go.

It was replaced by No Game November.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 05:10:04 PM »
I'm playing Madden 2019, Final Fantasy 7 and Pokemon Sword.

Made me choke on my coffee with this comment!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 05:55:46 PM »
At least someone appreciated it! Maybe you'd like to give a Honk! about it.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 07:25:46 PM »
I finished Shantae and the Seven Sirens yesterday and give it a strong recommendation if you are a fan of the series or Indievanias  8). I think it is my favorite entry in the series. As I mentioned the production values are very high, but the level design/layout is what won me over. The writing is funny and has some good references to past games. The controls are tight and the abilities are fun to use. My play times was about nine hours and my item collection was at 83%.
This thread also made me reflect on all the great indie games I have played on switch. I thought about listing my top five but it would just be the usual suspects. Instead I will give a shout out to my two favorite lesser known games: Double Cross and Joggernauts. These received okay reviews so they may be acquired tastes. Still if you were on the fence about either then I say go for it.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 08:26:27 PM »
I finished a game called The Hex. It's a weird little thing where you're solving a murder mystery with a bunch of Video Game protagonists as potential suspects.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 12:31:42 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 09:54:57 AM »
I've been picking away at Hollow Knight.  It's beautiful, the combat is sound, the exploration is good, and the little bread crumbs of lore are the perfect amount to be mysterious without being opaque. 

I should have played this game sooner.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 01:56:20 PM »
This thread is making want to buy Hollow Knight and Shantae 7.

Currently around an hour into Manifold Garden, and a bit lost on where to go. The game is really cool though, you can adjust gravity to flip the world around and walk on walls/ceilings until you lose track of what was up and what was down.
Secondly, the outside spaces are functionally endless, so instead of taking the stairs like a boring schmuck you can just jump into the void and land where you want. Very cool. Getting some mild Portal vibes from the spatial reasoning. I do think it could be disorienting for people who are prone to motion sickness, though.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 02:14:16 PM »
Don't believe pokepal's lies! I'm currently digging myself out of prison because of him. I told the cop that what I was doing was fine since pokepal declared it Indie-cent-ember but he said that wasn't a thing and it just created a whole big mess. Be warned!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 07:18:46 PM »
Finished Manifold Garden!
Took me five sessions, for a total of a bit over 5 hours. I did cheat by looking up a few puzzle solutions I got stuck on though. Very good game, although I think it could've been a little less vague. You're restoring natural elements to a world of infinitely looping architecture, but I'm not even sure if you're supposed to be playing a human (it's first person so you can't tell, and you never hear footsteps while moving). Birds and trees do exist, but that's about it for organic lifeforms.

The unexplainable nature of the world shouldn't be lost, but the game could use a more concrete reason to keep progressing beyond "I'd like to get out of this dreamlike environment". Good game though, quite hypnotizing and I found myself thinking on puzzle solutions while doing dishes and such, so it was often top-of-mind for me this week.