Author Topic: Splatoon!! WELCOME - TO DYE!  (Read 131237 times)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon!! Coming Soon to Parties Everywhere
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »
I like how the content will be spaced out over a period of time to keep you coming back although I am not a fan of the amiibo. If it were all the challenges, all the costumes and that sweet rhythm game locked behind a single readily stocked amiibo that would be reasonable considering you also get a collectible figure, but 3! That's way too far, in the UK it is cheaper to buy the game twice than buying all the amiibos.

If the demo fails to seriously impress I won't be buying it.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »
Friend-only matchmaking options are coming....in an August update.

We're getting an online beta! Limited to three 1-hour periods Friday and Saturday only.

Please understand.

It's a stress test for their online servers. It's limited to specific times to have the most people on Nintendo's servers at once to see how reliable they are before launch. So yes, I do understand. Maybe you didn't? :P /kidding tone
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2015, 07:07:48 PM »
Fine. It's a "global testfire" demo. That's totally not a beta.

I'm glad Nintendo isn't going with a season pass or premium DLC route. I am going to give Nintendo crap for shipping an online-focused multiplayer game without friend-only matchmaking options. That's not something you just pack in a future update. That should be in the game day 1.

Sorry to be a stickler to semantics, but a calling it a beta would mean that the game isn't done and feedback from this event will affect significant change to the game. It's bad enough that other games have rendered the term "beta" as a marketing ploy. I appreciate Nintendo for not following that trend. Though it would have been nice if they said "server stress test."

As for the matchmaking oddities, I find it ridiculously amusing rather than annoying. Nintendo just beating to their own drum no matter what? The EAD developer wanting to avoid friends coordinating and stomping pub games? A cynical plot to curb used game sales or to encourage sales at a later date? A technical gimmick to relieve server stress? I don't know what Nintendo is thinking, which means Splatoon is par for course.

For once in our lives, it's North America that is getting price-gouged as Splatoon is US$60 here while it's ~US$43-47 in Europe and Japan. While I'm not going to stop anyone from complaining about this, I just think, "Ah, I guess the tables should turn once in a while."

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Splatoon!! WELCOME - TO DYE!
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2015, 09:08:56 PM »
At least Nintendo is both admitting they're shipping a game that's going to have stuff added in and not charging for the privilege. To that end, it's a win.

Though it is $70 here, so unless that stress test has a real happy ending I'm probably waiting for my birthday.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2015, 06:36:52 PM »
Pre-ordered a digital copy today. Man, is it ever expensive in Canada but I thought, **** it. It's new IP, it's a Big Nintendo Titletm, it's got the attraction of the online component that will surge early in the game's lifespan. I know I'm buying this, so why kid myself? Why waffle? I bit and that's that.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2015, 06:55:57 PM »
Anyone make it into the first stress test? That was today, right?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2015, 07:38:22 PM »
It's today but has not happened quite yet. It starts at 8 PM PT which is in about three and a half hours from this post.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2015, 11:08:34 PM »
THIS IS AWESOME IM A SQUID GIRL I SHOT A BALLOON AND ZIPPED UP A WALL

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2015, 11:58:35 PM »
That roller is super overpowered. Can be taken down fairly easily from range if somebody's paying attention and going for it, but it seems way too easy to cover a ton of ground with it.

Unlike virtually everyone else, I like the gyro controls. Broad strokes with the right stick, fine tuning with the gyro works really well for me.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2015, 12:17:39 AM »
Okay that was pretty awesome.

Roller is definitely up there. It's super easy to easy to use, cover more ground than other weapon by far and etill is very deadly as a weapon.

I played first three matches with roller and it was easy victories for me and my team.

Then i switched to sniper rifle. Could be me but it feels useless, it doesn't even have range that long. Though i couldn't figure how to enter aiming mode, maybe that was the problem... Even then sniper rifle has very little ink in it, and that means you're forced to stay behind your teammates which i hate in shooters.

Splattergun is eh.

Splattergun jr i liked better, also it comes with bubble power up and it's very useul especially if your teammates are nearby -- then all of you will be invincible and you can initiate counter attack (really reminded me of Uber mechanic in TF2).

Grenades are a good backup if your primary gun sucks, diiving n to replenish ink, jumping out and throwing grenades sometimes woks better than risking open battle.

First few minutes of the hour were spotty, but after that online was pretty smooth.

It's weird that they allow japanese, european and american players all to play on one server, but i guess chaotic nature of the game covers hitches and lags somewhat. In one hour i noticed only two instances of lag: one time i was killed by a roller that wasn't there and then later i saw a player teleporting around as he was syncing.

Overall -- very impressive. Core action is super fun, lots of variety with weapons, and it works okay.

Turn off motion controls, as much as i dislike dual controls for shooter they're still beter than trying to control aiming by tilting gamepad.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2015, 12:25:40 AM »
Just finished playing, initially I was fighting the controls and couldn't get my head around using two input methods to do the same thing, although by the end I came round to it. The balance seems good, ideally you would want a mixture of classes but as you have to leave the lobby to change weapons it is impossible to co-ordinate. The sniper is mostly an offensive weapon as enemies don't travel very fast in human form making them easy targets. The roller on the other hand is suited to taking enemy territory with the other weapons somewhere in between. In terms of match making I got quite a few error messages "Can't connect to partners device" although once inside a game I experienced zero latency as far as I could tell. Overall I felt the core was fun with the lack of map variety being it's downfall, at the moment it's a game I wouldn't want to buy at launch although I will stick around for the 3rd demo and see how I feel about it then.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2015, 12:29:08 AM »
Lost more rounds then won but managed to be top spot a few rounds too.  Didn't mess with the controls but the default aiming is stiff IMO, think next time I'm going see tuning the controls.

The sniper rifle (charged gun) seemed like a waste--doesn't cover a lot of ground meaning you really shouldn't have to many of these snipers on one team (we had four in match I played and lost 12% to 70ish).

Rollers do seem OP but you can jump over them if you time it right. 

The map was very limited IMO.  To many objections couldn't be painted or climbed not sure if all maps are going be like that but if felt like you were forced into certain paths.

NO VOICE Support really hurts this game IMO.  Couldn't communicate with so any type of strategy is thrown right out the window.  There's some high ground advantage points that are key to winning the game but you have to someone camp there (so others can spawn to that location),

Overall fun game, not sure if it's going be worth $60 though.   

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2015, 12:42:48 AM »
The sniper rifle seems like it would be really useful as a counter to people using the rollers, since it could take them out fairly easily if it were used that way. I feel like the ideal team would be two rollers, one sniper, and one of the other ones, but that'd be more true if you could actually communicate.

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2015, 12:51:45 AM »
The map was very limited IMO.  To many objections couldn't be painted or climbed not sure if all maps are going be like that but if felt like you were forced into certain paths.
Yeah, there were a few vertical surfaces that specifically had fances on top to prevent you from squid jumping over it, but it's to force you to platform to them.

I think map design was brilliant, again it's very reminiscent of the best TF2 maps, like dustbowl and goldrush -- central chokepoint with a few narrow long alternate paths.

Moving around as squid is super useful. In many cases, it's faster than teleporting fom gamepad. Squid jumping (shooting a poodle of ink ahead, jumping into it as a squid, then jumping again and sooting a new poodle ahead as you're in the air and diving into it, rinse and repeat) isn't as hard as Treehouse presented it to be and it's extremly fast -- you can get to central chokepoint of the map in three-four seconds using this trick.

Voice chat would have been nice but if they're planning to keep populating players from all over the globe in one server then you'd have Babel Tower situation. It would be nice if i could coordinate team bubble attacks though...

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2015, 02:01:56 AM »
I enjoyed it quite a bit for the first half-hour, but then got bored pretty quickly. Controls don't feel either fluid or precise, and I came to hate how slow the human form is. Both human and squid should go faster. The charge gun, as people have said, is useless and un-fun, and the regular splatter gun isn't much better. The matches I played as a roller I was getting over 1000 paint points (or whatever) a round, which became boring. I imagine people will figure out how to counter this, though. For the last match I stayed in squid form the whole time and flopped around the spawn point spamming the Booyah button. That was pretty funny.

But yeah, unless this gets rave reviews for the campaign, I don't imagine I'll be shelling out for this one.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2015, 03:36:53 AM »
Did you increase the aiming speed?

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2015, 04:13:50 AM »
Aiming speed is -1 by default, i set it to +1 because i figured for this kind of game i need to look around more than aiming.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »
Gosh, all of your critique is so bizarre.

I started with a splattershot and never changed, though I can see myself switching to junior at some point. The other weapons just feel gimmiky though I can see their use. Rollers are definitely only good in the hands of map watchers though. I killed a billion morons using that thing. I think the charge shot is actually quite good as I went up against a few players that used it very effectively (especially with sonic wail). Overall, I think voice chat is superfluous as your weapon establishes your role on the team and you're worthless if you can't synergize well with your team.

Really liked aiming. Really liked the maps. Turned my opinion from a maybe to a definite buy.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2015, 10:21:45 AM »
Roller is not a bad weapon type.  You just have to remember its secondary function and your secondary weapon.

I'm not overly fond of the aiming.  I get why they have it like that but I would vastly prefer to play this game with Wiimote and Nunchuck but that would be such an unfair advantage for the guns against all the other type of controls I could see why that wouldn't be allowed.

My Son enjoyed that game but getting into both beta times was sort of rough.  It equaled a late night and an early morning for my son.

I have yet to run into anyone with the Pre-order costume and I think Nintendo dropped the ball on that one.  That should have transferred to the main game with Global Testfire on it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »
I played for the full hour last night, and then during the afternoon one today, but not the morning one.

It was mostly fun, I like the goal of painting the area as it seems a bit more n00b-friendly than other shooters, since you can still score points without kills. It also seems like there will be some strategy to learn with those mechanics and the weapons and how everything comes together, but I didn't quite pick up on much yet in just an hour on two maps. I do think it has more depth than it appears, especially since during the second hour, people definitely played better and it was tough for me to win matches.

However, it seems people think the roller is the best weapon, as most everyone started using it. And it was tough to overcome teams with 3 or 4 rollers, as they can paint the ground very quickly and killing them doesn't accomplish much. In fact, we never won any games where the opposition had more rollers than we did. That said, the full game has more weapons, maps, and options, so hopefully there will be better counters to the roller, and some maps where it's not much good.

I thought the default controls were awful, so I switch to stick controls, but I don't really like dual-analogue either. I hope that they add Wiimote support at some point.

Definitely bummed about seeing 24 people playing this game and not being able to join their matches. That's a new record for "most people online playing the same software," which was of course held by SmUsh previously, and then Mario Kart VIII before that. So I can say I won't be interested in buying the game until August at the earliest.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2015, 08:44:57 PM »
No WiiMote option? That sure put a damper on my interest.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2015, 02:15:31 AM »
you can switch to dual analog?  That was my biggest complaint. I did fairly well except for my arms wanting to be lazy. I won 50% of matches. teams with too many rollers would be tough to beat, just because the goal of the game is to cover the most area.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2015, 04:13:25 AM »
Played for half an hour in the second hour. Tried to figure out Splat Charger and had some success with it.

Despite that it's looks it's not sniper rifle. It's even in the name -- it's a charge weapon. Ulmtimately the main function of all weapons in Splatoon is to paint and to be efficient with Charger you need to find a long area to paint it all in a long swath. Also you need to aim higher at an angle to make paint go further.

As to killing -- you kinda need to bait enemies into your aim as you go backwards and charging it (but don't hold it too much because you move slow when you're charging). Or just avoid direct confrontation altogether and constantly be on the move, like on this video:

People seem to be learning to counter rollers, i've been on team with just one roller and me with regular splattershot and we won against a team with three rollers pretty handily with me as MVP. I've also managed to jump over a few rollers but that didn't help me much because i still ended up on enemy ink, and rollers just immmediately came back to finish me off as i was flapping in enemy ink.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2015, 05:05:04 AM »
Yeah, I think the idea that the roller's overpowered is the product of people only having played the game for a very short amount of time. In a competitive and complex game like this it takes time to really grasp how it works, and the roller is the easiest weapon to get the hang of.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2015, 10:58:09 AM »
I only played the first session, but it did occur to me that people were ignoring vertical space for the most part, which the roller is no good for. In very competitive matches all of the real estate will matter. Though I did think the game was pretty weirdly inconsistent/bad at visually explaining which surfaces could be painted or not.