Author Topic: When did toys start to suck so badly?  (Read 5205 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
When did toys start to suck so badly?
« on: December 03, 2007, 07:57:18 AM »
Check this crap out...

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=Products/Catalog&subbrand=504

They're "Real Gear" Transformers.  Transformer toys that look just like the real technology items!  There's a digital music player, a set of binoculars, a hand held gaming device, and a watch.  However, despite the fact that they're called "Real Gear", in super-fine print on the bottom of the package, it says "Not a real music player" (or "Not a real [whatever]").

What the hell?  Why, back in my day, we had Transformers that doubled as binoculars and music players.  Seriously, throw a clock on the watch and a crappy Transformers themed LCD game on the hand held.

How the hell do they get buy calling these "Real Gear"?

On the other hand, these were behind held in our backroom because of some kind of recall, apparently.  It didn't say why though...  
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE: When did toys start to suck so badly?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 08:43:47 AM »
Kids toys has been crap ever since they discontinued selling Megatron in his gun form. Lousy stinking church going anti social fun spoilers.  
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 11:15:20 AM »
ok like when i got to the store and i see Gi Joe knock off toys for 9 dollars. Physically they look like real soldiers but their no where near as bendable and twistable as the real thing. On the otherhand the cheap C.o.r.p.s. toys are now really good, and still not much more than a dollar, and just as manipulatable as the Real American Hero
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 03:54:15 AM »
Around the time they stopped making them out of tin.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
RE:When did toys start to suck so badly?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 05:32:53 AM »
You wouldn't believe what I could see with Perceptor. The coolest microscope I ever owned.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 05:27:28 AM »

Originally posted by: bustin98
You wouldn't believe what I could see with Perceptor. The coolest microscope I ever owned.

boobies?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline wulffman04

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 11:00:32 AM »
Yeah that reminds me of the downfall of all those great cartoons.

CAPTAIN PLANET!
EARTH!
Follow the Hobo <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo#Hobo_code">Code![/url]

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 01:01:03 PM »
FIRE!  
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 01:52:24 PM »
I miss Cobra Commander...
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 08:25:55 AM »
Kid toys started going down hill in the early 90's. Power Rangers were one of the last good toys.

I blame it on a few things:
First off Kids don't play with action figures as much as we did and I blame this on the fact that todays market Lacks good characters as toys. Most of your cartoons in the 90's look like they were drawn by 5 year olds. And we lack all the action cartoons that we uses to have back in the 80's. Can anyone really see kids playing with Sponge Bob Square Pants, Rugrats or Cramp Twins? I do admit things have been getting better lately when shows like Justice League and Teen Titans. But a lot of damage has already been done. A lot of damage was also done when the government passed the law that banned the 30min ad from TV, this in turn pretty much killed Saturday Mornings. Back when we had great shows like He-Man, Transformers, G.I. Joe, TMNT and Ghostbusters. All these shows were 30min ad to get us to go out and get our parents to buy us the toys. When he government banned these the studios no longer had reason to put money into making good shows. Luckly things have started to go back to the way they were in the 80's so maybe things will get better.

Second because of the lack of good toys most kids moved over to Videogames. When a kid has to make a choice between a game or a toy they will always go with the game.

Third most kids lack the same kind of imagination we did when we were kids, unless its handed to the kid in a form of a Movie, TV show or game kids today won't make the effort to use their imagination.

It is very sad how bad things haven't become. We can only hope that some how the damage can be fixed.

I miss having all those great toys. At least some of them make limited come backs.
The 2002 He-Man toys really rocked.  
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 12:00:20 PM »
somebody been attacking our imagination?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 06:51:45 PM »
The government made it so no one wanted to fund it.
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 02:37:40 AM »
I'll take Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and Batman: The Animated Series over a 30 minute commercial for action figures of steroid using military men any day of the week.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 05:18:58 AM »
Thous were some great shows. Warner Brothers and Disney were really the only two companies that put any effort into making Saturday mornings worth getting up for. But then again I actually don't recall watching any of their shows on Saturdays, they did more stuff for the Weekday line ups. I remeber watching Animaniacs, then Power Rangers and then ending the Afternoon with Batman.

But I'm not saying we had 100% crap TV, there were the few good shows. The problem was that we didn't have anything that was marketable. As much as I loved Animaniacs and Tiny Toons, they never left the TV set and never became toys.
Crow ~ MST3K

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 07:32:28 AM »
They were Happy Meal toys.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.