Author Topic: Is this it, or should I keep complaining? (a LONG rant)  (Read 4575 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Is this it, or should I keep complaining? (a LONG rant)
« on: November 11, 2007, 06:10:28 AM »
I'm 21 years old, I have a great girlfriend, two best friends who always have my back, and just started a job with steady hours, the best pay I've recieved at any job I've held thus far and after only a month I already have insurance that coveres medical, dental and vision. So why do I feel like life sucks right now?

Let me run you through my day. I wake up at around 4:30a and lay in bed till around 5-5:30 when I finally get my ass outta bed and shower then try to rush out of the house by 6 so I can be at work by 6:30. That means i have to turn a normal 30min trip into a 20 min one by speeding but the danger is more in the fact that im still sleepy and not the speed. So i make it to work on time or late (i really dont care either way, no ones said anything yet) and have to say "hello/good morning!" to all these people i now work with in a really fake manner which just brings my mood down even more, then count out my register and make a log of car keys i have in our lock-box. Oh yeah, i'm a service cashier at a BMW dealership. Once i log these keys i have to go to my computer and right down the customer information of the owners, then call them to let them know their cars are ready to be picked up. Easy right? well this usually happens at 7am or so and half the time the customer is angry that:

A. they were already called the night before by the Advisor that overlooked the work done on their car.
B. its too early for me to be calling and demand to speak to my boss. (or both).

You'd think that when a customer doesnt pick up, its easier cuz im in the clear; NO. Either they call back later to complain about calling so early or to say they were already called, and on top of that if my boss sees to many "Left Message" notes on the key-log/call list he tells me to try calling more than just one number per person because "WE DONT HAVE SPACE ON THE LOT FOR ALL THESE CARS, GET THOSE PEOPLE TO PICK UP NOW!"

Now the other part of my job is filing tons of invoices that get printed up for when the customers do come pick up.  So while I'm calling these people I'm also filing and I might even have some customers coming to pick up so I have to juggle all three or have angry customers. I cant leave the invoices sitting on the printer because when someone comes to pick up the second their invoice hits that printer, and i dont see their name in my inbox they get mad at me because "my advisor told me the car was ready!" so every second i spend checking my computer to see if it was invoiced at all, or calling the advisors directly, or looking thru the tons of papers on my printer to find their name is more time the customer wastes just standing there and the angrier they get at me. this goes on for the rest of the day really.

then i'll get the customers that are angry that something cost so much and they refuse to pay, so i get yelled at some more as if i'm the one who fixed their car. then if i answer a phone call that comes to me at my desk (instead of the call center which it should go thru first) they get even more pissed because im not givin them my undevided attention. then i'll get paged on my company nextel asking me to send a page thru-out the buildling for someone and the customers think its my personal phone and that im unproffesional for answering my cell phone while on the job.

When im not dealing with customers and filing, im trying to close out invoices that were paid for then reciept them on my computer. its really easy but tedious at the same time becuase if you get one little number wrong you screw yourself over and i cant void anything  because i dont have the authority, only my manager can and she's too scatter-brained to come help when i really need her. when thats all done i have to settle my credit card machine by matching it up to my totals on my computer and its the most annoying thing in the world becuase while im checking my work to make sure theres no money missing, i'll get a customer who picks up, pays with a c/card which throws off my totals until i close/reciept their invoice and wait for accounting to update my edit sheet information so i never close out my c/card machine and cash register before lunch like im supposed to. That means my manager has to do it while she covers me and i just know she thinks im either an idiot for not being able to do it or a prick for making her do it. I have an hour to do whatever the hell i please then come back and do it all again.

usually after lunch theres a really dead period of time where im just literally sitting there. nothings printing for me to file, no ones picking up and i dont have to worry about the register or credit machine. i yearn to go online and check up on these forums or something just to pass the time but theres a camera directly behind me and i KNOW its being checked constantly on a dedicated monitor by not one but TWO people so i cant go online, i just sit there doing nothing. every other day a second cashier will come in around 3 or 4 and she'll stay till close, i love those days becuase i actually have someone to talk to that isnt another emplyee just passing by saying "how are you?" and nothing else or stupid comments like "working hard? ;-)" (the worst are the guys in sales, they dont ever say hi, they just wink). 5pm comes (or if its friday, 6p) and i get to leave. then im stuck in traffic and dont make it home for an hour and i know that part of my day is just going to get worse the closer we get to xmas because the area i work in is near a ton of shopping centers.

So i get home, i eat something and watch tv, shower and have about and hour or two to myself. i usually just sit in bed watching tv cuz if i play a video game i won't go to bed on time, same goes for online. I might check my mail real quick but i know i'd be too tempted to come here or some other site and not get to sleep on top. I usually try to fall asleep by 10 but even thats not enough time cuz i hate waking up so early, especially knowing im going to have to do it again.

Then i have the weekends off which sounds nice but saturdays are filled with me doing tons of backed up chores and errands i couldnt get to during the week and spending the rest of the time out with my gf while one of my best friends begs me to go out drinking becuase thats the only way he knows how to have fun now... and all i want is some time to myself to rest. Then come sundays, like today where i turn my phone off and stay in bed to try to prepare myself for the next five days. My friend is annoyed we dont hang out as much as we used to (even though we work together now and i see him more than my gf) and my gf, although she wont say it, i know she's upset we dont see eachother as much.

So i'm making good money, get paid every wed and i can afford all those games i missed out on the psat few months. im currently trying to play thru metroid prime 3, manhunt, lost vikings (1 for gba), links awakening (re- bought it after so many years or not knowing where my copy is) and once im done with that one i'm going to start on Oracle of Seasons which i've never actually played, then once thats done (unless i find 'Ages) i'll get started on Phantom Hourglass... oh and i have Mario Galaxy to look forward to this week... but i really dont have time to play any of these games anymore. It sucks, it really really does..

Now, if you were nice enough to read thru all that.. im asking you, especially you older forum goers that have your own house and wives and kids, etc.. is this a nomral part of life? should i really feel like this is the end of the fun era of my life and prepare myself for working all the time and not doing the things i want to do? I'm only 21, i thought this was the time when i should be going out and partying with my friends and drinking and having nothing but fun. It just feels like im being forced to settle down all of a sudden and i dont want to. I dont know if its just this job and the fact that i work 11-hour days or that i was unemployed so long and had lots of extra free time that i forgot what its like to have to work the next day is like.

I've only been at this new job a month now, and before that i took and finished a bartending course becuase i thought it would be something i could do as well as something i liked doing. working with people in a fun environment, making drinks and laughign at drunks.. i was looking forward to giving bartending a shot but.. this job came along, it was offering 14/hour, mon-fri with weekends off, and benifits after only a month.. it was too tempting to pass up. I've pretty much been unemployed since i was laid off from Nintendo World Store last jan. I had a few small temp jobs in that period and they both only paid 10/hour.. the retail management position i held before Nintendo was only paying me 9.48/hour and nintendo paid 12/hour.. so the 14/hour (plus time and a half overtime) i'm making now is HUGE for me. I'm making more in one week then i made in two weeks as a manager in that retail job with MUCH less responsibility but... I dont think i can deal with getting yelled at so f*cking much. On top of that i have jerks (employees and customers) making me feel like im doing a chicks job when they say things like "Oh what happened? they used to  have so many cute girls at this desk?" wtf? thanks for killing my self esteem...

I dont know what to do. I dont want to lose these health benifits but i cant deal with the stress of this job. I'm the first to call myself the biggest slacker ever and even though this job is easy i can't help but hating the fact that i have to get up so early and theres no spontinaity (sp?). Im used to having a changing schedule and being able to switch shifts.. now im stuck in this schedule and its killing me. i refuse to go to bed at 8pm just so i dont feel cranky in the morning. i hate not being able to just go out on a monday night and have fun with my girl... its just not in me. i just dont think im cut out for the "9-5" life.. but i dont want to regret throwing it all away to TRY and bartend. i only have a license, i dont have exp behind a real bar.. theres no promise that i'll make $300 a night which is "minimum" for a bartender according to everyone i've talked to (former bartender friends or friends of friends as well as the bartending school).

everything just sucks right now. I dont know if any advice could help but feel free to give it a shot. And if you read all of this... wow, congrats!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Is this it, or should I keep complaining? (a LONG rant)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:10:19 AM »
Dear god. Be thankful you're having a sort of mid-life crisis now instead of... well, at mid-life. It definitely doesn't sound like you want this job to be a permanent thing though, right? Is "buckling down" an option while you weigh your next move?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Is this it, or should I keep complaining? (a LONG rant)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 07:18:24 AM »
Very tricky position. But I do agree with Kairon, don't do anything hasty.  
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 08:08:07 AM »
no i definately dont want this job to be permanent. i dont think i'd EVER be able to do a job like that forever.

the whole deal with getting into bartending... as i mentioned i took and passed the course but i still have to go back to sign up with job placement. its been over a month now and i've been dicked around w/o signing up. the first step is to have your resume checked and signed by one of the directors of the school, which i did after 3 weeks because i would only have one day a week go go and the first few times they said things like "hmm.. fix this double spacing, make this shorter, etc" so i'd have to come back a whole week later. i asked if i could maybe email them the resume and they said no, even though i know for a fact one of the other students was given that option. so after a month i finally get it approved they tell me to come back NEXT WEEK to sign up with job placement and when i show up they say i need an appointment...

so i make the appointment but had to cancel because of a family emergency and when i call to tell them the woman who answer the phone has no idea what im talking about "sir, we dont take appointments here you can come in on a walk in basis between the hours of X and X" so i snap at the poor woman and send an angry letter to the head offices with no reply yet. that was two weeks ago. they still havent mailed me my license so im just gonna have to go pick it up but its hard to after work. i get off 5 to get to the train around six to be in the city by 7 and thats usually the time the job placement office closes so i just cant show up and expect to sign up with them..

so yeah.. thats all frustrating too because i dont have the time myself to look into that field of work and i was really hoping their job placement program would be able to help, but now it looks like i wont have that option. And it seems like every time i figure something out with my life, something else happens that makes me re-think everything.

Just as i was finishing up the bartending course i was finally called, after a month of waiting, from a hospital about a job... two days before i was supposed to start at the BMW dealership.. I spoke to them and tried to see if i could get an interview in fast but they didnt have anything open until after my start date at the other place. I explained my situation and the woman on the phone asks me what they're offering as far as pay goes... i say 14, she says "oh well our starting rate is 13.." and she tells me if i ever change my mind to give her a call back. The hours were 9-5 mon-fri at that hospital, and i would of been doing similar work but atleast i wouldnt of been as tired and had more free time... but no, i took the job I'm at now becuase i wouldd make more money and now look where im at.

I really wanted that hospital job becuase at the time i was thinking of possibly taking night classes, or even weekend classes, to become a paramedic or a RN even.. i thought maybe working in a hospital would inspire me more so to do it but now i cant because i just dont have the time for it. i thought that maybe i could even bartend on the weekend if i worked the hospital job becuase i was told (from a friend who told me about the job, she works there) its very easy work and its not alot of stress.. i've worked two jobs before, i thought i could do both and if it turned out i liked bartending better i'd go into that full time or something.

not now though, by the time friday comes around im exhausted from stress and lack of sleep that i cant even think of bartending on the weekends just to put that stupid license to use. Now i just feel like i wasted money taking that course, esp since i dont even physically have the license becuase the school hasnt given it to me yet. My gf's sister has a boyfriend who manages a bar literally 2 blocks from me.. she keeps saying "i can talk to her and maybe get you a job there.."

but like i siad i know i wont be able to do it on weekends, i'll be to tired. i can drag my feet thru it but i dont want to suck at it and dissapoint since i'd get the job only as a favor, as i dont have exp, but i dont want that. if i'm going to do it i want to give it my best, and i just cant working at this dealersihp.. and i cant just leave either becuase i'd be throwing away my insurance (which i desperately need) and walking away from good money..

this is depressing im going back to play Links awakening them some metroid. I probably wont get to come back to the forums until next week...

thanks for listening guys

the start date was two weeks from  
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 08:08:13 AM »
I can definitely say now, that looking back, I should have been more willing to give up a few months of time(partying, etc. etc.)back then to put my self in a better situation now.
There is an saying that old people say that now makes alot more sense to me now.
"Youth is wasted on the young"

take from that what you will, as its your life to live.

Personally, I say suck it up, stack your money and work towards something that you really want to do.
Once you get to where you're trying to be in life, everything you did to get there will have all been worth it.

As far as you being 21 and should be out having the time of your life, well trust me when I say its all fun and games while it last, but looking back to what I was doing then and where its got me at today, I think thats was alot of time wasted and could have been spent better. You have plenty of time in life to party and trust me, the partying you would be doing now doesn't even compare to the the partying you could be doing a few years from now when you are all set up(financially that is, partying is expensive).

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 09:26:26 AM »
Can someone please give a three sentence summary for Shift Key and me?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Hmmm... like BlacknMild2k1 said, save up money! Save up money now so that when you can switch to a better, less stressful job, you won't feel tied to the BMW one by money uncertainties!  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 10:32:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Hmmm... like UncleBob said, save up money! Save up money now so that when you can switch to a better, less stressful job, you won't feel tied to the BMW one by money uncertainties!

???I'm confused. UB didn't even respond in this thread.

Originally posted by: vudu
Can someone please give a three sentence summary for Shift Key and me?

EasyCure is 21 and just started a new job @ BMW making the most he ever has at any job and already has full benefits too.
He's not feelin the job because of the stress levels, and also finds himself not having the time or energy to do the things he wants to do in his free time because of the BMW job (lots of OT).
His best friend and girlfriend feel neglected, and he feels like he should be out partying with them and having fun being 21.
He's also waiting for his Bartenders License but the school he got it from is jerking him around and thats why he got the BMW job in the first place.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 10:54:53 AM »
Thanks!

My advice is to get your girlfriend to dress up as a vampire more often.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 10:58:58 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
Thanks!

U R Welcome and got pics?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 10:59:08 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

Originally posted by: Kairon
Hmmm... like UncleBob said, save up money! Save up money now so that when you can switch to a better, less stressful job, you won't feel tied to the BMW one by money uncertainties!

???I'm confused. UB didn't even respond in this thread.

Whoops! Sorry dude! I've been agreeing with UB a lot recently, and it sounded really fatherly so I immediately though "UNCLE!" Eheh... I'll go edit it now...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 11:44:15 AM »
If you don't enjoy your job then it really is NOT worth the added monetary benefits that it may have...Even if what you'd like to do means a decrease in salary...Just my feeling on the matter...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 12:00:24 PM »
Most people never really like their jobs, but they keep them until a better opportunity comes up.
Keeping the job you have is also a good way to pad your resume for when that opportunity does come up.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 01:00:45 PM »
I agree with Bill.  Making more money is great but if you don't derive any enjoyment from your job its not worth it.

I'm salary and make ok money.  I don't always like my job but for the most part I enjoy it.  If it made me stressed out all the time I probably leave.  As it is I'm moving because I get up at 5:30am and get home by 6pm and go to bed at 9:30pm.  About an hour out for dinner prep and eating.  So I net on average 2 hours 30 mins of time to do anything on truly my own time.  My Boss says that it just gets worse as you go up.

Not to get you down or anything.  I know people who live pretty nice life's with a good job.  I still haven't found that balance yet.  It takes time to find that right spot.  Where your happy and you get the lee-way to do what you really are passionate about.  I still have to find my passion.

If you are not going to leave any time soon I would save up.  Be ready for the unemployment time again.  Have money for those surprises in life, like trying to buy a home.  This is one of those jobs that pays a good amount for the training because the stress and rules make up for it.  

Best of luck making it through.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 03:06:14 PM »
The lesson from Mike Judge's "Office Space" is many people aren't happy with their jobs; what matters is they find something that makes them happy.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 03:09:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
If you don't enjoy your job then it really is NOT worth the added monetary benefits that it may have...Even if what you'd like to do means a decrease in salary...Just my feeling on the matter...

The naivety from med school boy here is lol.

Originall posted by: EasyCure
i just dont think im cut out for the "9-5" life..

First of all, you're not doing 9-5, you're doing 6-5 and that's a much bigger commitment. Secondly no one really does 9-5, not even public servants.
Anyway that's not the point I should be making. You are cut out for the working life. You need to tell yourself this, daily if need be. Feelings of inadequecy will not help you right now, instead they'll only lead to depression and mental illness. Only then will you not be cut out for it.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 04:40:51 AM »
You're working 9.5 hour days normally?  If it's a daily occurrence, it's not overtime.  It's abuse.  And you're not helping matters by trying to do it on too little sleep.  You should learn to get up and get ready quickly enough to maximize your sleep time (easier said than done, I know; it takes two alarm clocks and a strobe light to wake me up), and quit thinking that going to bed early makes you an old fogy.  You'll enjoy your weekends more if you don't need to spend them resting.

Personally, I'd be worried that quitting too soon would make me look flaky at the next interview, but if you're really that miserable, maybe you'd be better off.  Either way, I wouldn't stay there any longer than it took to build up enough cash to live off of during my next job search.

In the meantime, you should really try to improve your working environment.  First of all, if you can't be bothered to give a friendly "good morning" to people you work with, there's something wrong.  Why is it fake?  Do you wish for them to have a bad morning instead?  Second, try telling your boss about some of the crap you're dealing with.  Maybe it never occurs to someone used to getting to work by 6 that most people don't like getting phone calls that early.  Chances are nothing will change, and you may even be yelled at, but if it already sucks so bad, you've got nothing to lose.  And by all means ask them if it's okay to do personal stuff on the computer during the dead periods.  The answer may be yes.  I mean, if they're watching you on the camera, they should be able to see that there's no work for you to do.  If they're jerks about it, well, you already hate the job, anyway.

By the way, when you run into problems at other places, try to remember that the person you're talking to on the phone or across the counter is in the same position as you are at your job.  Ever since I worked in a photo lab, I've made it my mission to be that one person who comes in during the day who's cheerful, friendly, and patient because I remember how much better my day always felt when someone like that came up to the counter.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 11:05:45 AM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days
You are cut out for the working life. You need to tell yourself this, daily if need be. Feelings of inadequecy will not help you right now, instead they'll only lead to depression and mental illness. Only then will you not be cut out for it.

Ignore the other stuff, this is what you need to hear. You may not like your current job - and I suggest looking for a better job in the meantime if that is the case - but the fact that you are doing 9-5 or whatever-5 shouldn't get you down. Most of society can handle this sort of responsibility - if some of your friends don't "get it" that's their problem.

In the meantime, you can do a few things with regards to surviving this job:
Set aside time for important things outside of work (spending time with the missus, etc) and stick to those commitments.
Pick up a new hobby or two (not more computer games) which you can fit around your work schedule (gym membership, pottery, etc) to help with the stress.
Keep looking in the paper for a new job, and get your resume together.

And set some personal goals - it doesn't have to be anything grand, achievable short-term goals are best.

Just get some balance in your life because it sounds like you're either at work or worrying about work.

I'm only 21, i thought this was the time when i should be going out and partying with my friends and drinking and having nothing but fun.
No wonder Generation Y gets a bad wrap if this is par for the course :P

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 03:37:50 AM »
ok so im taking a day off from work cuz im not feeling well. I've read thru what you guys had to say and i wanna say thanks for taking the time to read all that b/s.

i'm too lazy (and sick) to go quote for quote but i'll address some key things some of you guys brought up.

1. the reason i cant go online to even check my email even during the slow periods at work is because the way the counter i work at is set up, the computers are easily viewable by the customers, so even if i did ask nicely i'll just be told something like "it looks unpreffesional in front of our clients blah blah blah"

2. true, i dont work 9-5 but i didnt mean that literally obviously. oh and yes, it does feel more like abuse than overtime. on thursdays or fridays i usually work from 6:30-6 because it gets so hectic in there and they need the extra body there. i think even if they hired a new cashier i still wouldnt get less hours, but it might cut back on some of the stress.

3. i dont need to find a new passion to take my mind off work, i have plenty. the problem is i dont have the time to do them anymore. i've been playing video games since i was 2yo and its not something i'd want to willingly give up anytime soon so thats out of the question. I have 3 guitars in my possesion (2 elec., 1 acoustic) and even though i've played them less and less as i've gotten older, they are still a great way to relax and work out some stress. Its great to turn the lights off, lay in bed and just jam. I miss playing until my fingers hurt or i fell asleep.. then theres the internet. I've lurked on these boards for a long time and enjoyed reading all the thoughts and discussions of you guys then i finally joyed about a year ago or so and its just as much fun letting my voice be heard. Now i really dont have the time. I had to take a sick day just to get around to reading your thoughts on my post.

4. I think i've already spiralled into depression. I probably have been for months now, while looking for work and getting my bartending license. atleast then when i would become aware of it i could go play Strikers, go online and discuss SSBB, or hang out with my girl and have a drink to take my mind off of being unemployed and wondering what im going to do with my life. Now i get up angrily, get to work and sulk, get stressed out by every little thing, come home and rush to make diner, eat, shower and possibly do laundry before i have to go to bed to do it all again. So when i have time to just think (usually in the shower or on the drive to or back from work) i'll just think about how miserable i am or how much i miss having free time. I keep asking myself "is this it? is this what i'm going to be doing the rest of my life?" Yeah, i know i wont be at this job forever but what if the next one is similar? I remember only two years ago i woke up, worked on my car and drove to PA with a friend. My car stalled at a gas station and i called my job and said "hey, i might not be in tomorrow.. car troubles *click*" and didnt worry if i had to miss work that day cuz i was stuck in PA. Life felt like an adventure then and now it doesnt.

5. I know i have to save money. I blew most of my money just living off of it during unemployment so i know how rough it is and dont want to feel that way if it somehow happens again. i'm making good money now so i'm trying to pay off the debt i got into as fast as possible so i can start putting more away each week to save. I think the money troubles are what are adding more to the stress and depression though. I know i cant just leave this job cuz i dont really like it, cuz i need the money so it makes me feel like i really am stuck there with no other alternatives.

6. Its not that i dont think i'm cut out for the "working life," im just not cut out for the "9-5" life. Not sure about you Aussies but here it means a daily routine, atleast thats the way im using it. I KNOW im cut out for the working life, i dont need to recite a mantra every morning. If anything, im a work-aholic, its just this one particular job.. i feel like its kiling me. I've done over night work from 10p-6a and found time to hang out before and after, get just enough sleep and feel fine. I'ved worked a full-time and part time job before and was able to go from working the one job, getting to the second job (no easy tasks by the way) then going out to a punk show and dragging my feet at work the next day becuase i knew i had the day after off. Not only was i happier then but my schedule was better. I didnt have a set schedule then like i do now so the lack of being able to be spontaneaus plus the stress is whats making it hard for me to get thru the week, not the hours i put in.

7. I'm not worried about padding my resume, if i decided to leave this job tomorrow i'd just leave it off. Or if i wanted to leave it on i'd just lie about it lol I could have my friend who got me the job there as the reference. I've done it before, so thats not a problem.

..if only.. another reason why im stressed out.... i'll leave it at that

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 05:45:22 AM »
I hear you there EasyCure, I just recently graduated from college and I'm full swing into my career (for about 8 months now). I wake up everyday asking myself if there is something more than what I have now. By no means is my life awful, I have a good job and a great fiancee and an awesome dog, but it sucks knowing what everyday of my life will be like for years to come. I wake up, take the dog for a walk, have my morning coffee, drive off to work, come home, cook dinner, do various errands, and then it's 10:00pm and I have a little bit of time to play videogames or watch TV before passing out from exhaustion and doing it all over again. Life used to be alot more random and interesting than it is now. I haven't lived the next few months of my life, but I'm guessing I could detail each day out pretty accurately.

The only thing I do to make it better is just assure myself that things will eventually change and I will maybe work a more interesting job and have kids to break up the monotony. I can't wait to have kids and eventually buy a house. Having house related projects for the weekend or at night time are a big inspiration for me. Kids are an even bigger one.

I'm sure things will take a turn for the better/more interesting eventually man, just hang in there and rock it out for awhile. There is definitely more out there, only time and patience will bring them.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 06:09:17 AM »
It's just the shock of learning what it's actually like to be "busy".

High school and college are just glorified day care centers.  You aren't ever really busy.  Once you start working a real full time job, it is extremely shocking.  Then you get used to it.  I work a job that is truly 9-5 in slow times, and is 7-7 in heavy times.  I have weekends off but I still feel like I barely ever have time.

I then think about my Dad.  While he's retired now, my entire childhood he worked as a skilled tradesman at a GM factory.  The pay was great, and what made it even better was the amount of overtime he worked.  It's the biggest reason I finished my undergrad degree debt free.  He worked his ass off to give me a running start into a real job.  I remember times where he would say things like "This is my first day off in 115 days."  Yet somehow he made it work, and still did a ton of stuff with the family and around the house.

I guess the moral of that is, while I feel busy, people are capable of so much more.  Hell, my Fiancee has it even worse.  Being a teacher, she barely ever gets acclimated to how busy she is during the school year, because the summer can always tease her about having free time.  She goes from that to barely ever having extra time as when she is home she's almost always worried about creating lesson plans, grading projects, or preparing for the next open house or teacher's conference.

My advice is, get over it.  We are brought up being told how busy and hard we work so we think that's all it takes.  Then when we actually have to start making a living, we are in for a shock.  (Obviously this doesn't go for everyone, as some kids have really tough lives.  But you know what I mean.)  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 11:24:17 AM »

It's just the shock of learning what it's actually like to be "busy".

i'm gonna have to disagree with you there pale. i dont think being busy with this job is whats bringing me down because i've had a busier life before this; juggling school, work, relationships, friendships, writing music, performing with two bands, babysitting, chores, house-keeping and making dinner for the family (i had to assume the mother role when my mother was out of the country and sick) and i never felt the way i do now.

part of me wants to say i'm just not used to it after having months off of work due to unemployement but even then i kept busy. i like having thinsg to do, i like to multi-task. i just dont know what it is about this job, or this point in my life where i feel overwhelmed by just one job..

but enough is enough already. I'm not going to complain anymore and theres really no more advice you guys can offer. i appreciate all the advice and genuine honesty in your answers, and that no one wasted a post on a joke (cept vudu, but thats ok). i really just needed to vent a little in an anonymous way. i'll do what you guys say and just stick it out until something better, not that i needed anyone to tell me that because theres really no other choice.