Author Topic: Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Game Over!  (Read 69286 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Game Over!
« on: March 04, 2021, 09:50:09 PM »
Hosting Lesson: Now, as a host of Safe Words, it is up to you if the game includes any narrative hook or purpose. Maybe you just have a selection of words based on a theme and that's good enough for you. Let the players make a joke or two and play the game through in the basic fashion it was created. Nothing wrong with that as a narrative can make things trickier and sometimes harder to post about as the game advances and continues. I've done different variations myself and I can't say I've seen much difference in player engagement with a greater narrative focus compared to a lesser one. Thus, the only reason to make the job harder with a bigger narrative is to score style points and feel like you've accomplished a big job. However, I don't feel the need for complicating things and proving anything as a host so I'm not going to go that route. Still, I do like to have some simple reason or purpose for why players are selecting words. Having some angle for the game does give a host a little something else to work with to keep one's posts varied and interesting as the game goes on.

Thinking about this game, with its random basis being picking various songs from an old variety album, there's not much rhyme or reason behind that. It's kind of silly and pointless so perhaps the hook should be also. But what kind of narrative purpose can there be? I'll admit this might be the trickiest part for a host if you opt to include a narrative. I checked out events of music in 1990 when the CD was released. Nothing really inspired me there but it did give me a couple ideas for eliminations. I thought about if I was an record studio head or radio station manager and the other players were agents trying to bribe me to record or play something from their client. While it had potential, it didn't make sense as rounds went on and different players selected different songs and artists. All these bands are constantly swapping and changing agents? I wondered about framing it as a musical competition like American Idol or the Voice where players are covering different songs. A bit better to using as a theme. But it just wasn't quite stupid or over the top enough for me. Going back to the agent route, I wondered about me being the agent of these bands but what am I trying to do with them and the players selecting them? What if the players were singers or bands and I was trying to get them to play these songs? Perhaps a bad performance of the song ruins their career? Getting closer but not quite right. Oh! What if the players are big name performers (heck, this could even allow for some role play as any artist performing back in 1990) and I'm trying to get them to hire these artists as their opening act and things go awry from there?  :o  Ah, now that's got pretty good and leaves things open ended for me to come up with dumb eliminations. I can sense I'll probably still be challenged with quickly figuring out a musical disaster when it is time to eliminate a player but I'll just have to do the best I can when those bomb words hit.

Now, if I'm going to be an agent at the dawn of the 90s then I'm going to be a smarmy, wild partying, cocaine fueled con man out to wheel and deal to do all I can to get all the profit I can before the clock expires on the public's appreciation of my client's music. Did a Google search on scummy music agent. Got no real results. Tried terrible music agent but again a bit of a bust. Then I decided to try wild party man and the first image is a winner!

Just call me Treize "King Gong" Khushrenada, agent to the music stars!

And with that, it's time to get this party started and have a profitable 1990!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:03:28 PM by "King Gong" Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Round 1!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 09:57:55 PM »
List of Musical Acts

49ers - Don't You Love Me
Bizz Nizz - Don't Miss The Partyline
Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
Jimmy Somerville - Read My Lips (Enough is Enough)
JT and the Big Family - Moments in Soul
Mantronix - Got To Have Your Love
Orbital - Chime
Paula Abdul - Opposites Attract
Technotronic - This Beat is Technotronic

Order of Player Rotation

BeautifulShy
nickmitch
Mr. Bungle
Discord.RSS
NWR_Insanolord
Stratos
Mop it up
TOPHATANT123
MASB

Final Placement

9. Stratos
8. nickmitch
7. Mop it up
6. BeautifulShy
5. Discord.RSS
4. MASB
3. TOPHATANT123
2. NWR_insanolord
1. Mr. Bungle

Hosting Tip - I like to have this second post after the introduction with the info of selections and rotation. It allows me to have a spot I can easily return to in order to keep track of without having to go through past posts in rounds to find what is still available and who is selecting next. Updating this at the end of a round keeps it useful and is great when it is time to hand out the points for the game as the final placement for players is here now too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:03:07 PM by "King Gong" Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 10:15:41 PM »
A quick reiteration of the rules and how the game is played

There is a list of musical acts that will be used throughout the game. At the start of each round, the player that is in the last spot for the rotation of that round will secretly select a musical act from the list. That choice will be kept hidden from the remaining players and sent to me via pm. That selected word will then be the bomb word for that round.

After the bomb word is chosen, the remaining players must all choose an option from the list. Every time an option is chosen, it is removed from the list for that round. No two players can select the same choice in the same round. If a player does not choose the bomb word from the list when they make their selection then they are safe for that round and move on to the next. If a player selects the bomb word, they are eliminated from the game and the bomb word is removed from the list for the rest of the game.

If none of the players ahead of the final person in the rotation select the bomb word then the player who chose it to start the round is forced to take their own bomb word since it is the only thing left to select and they will be eliminated by it.

The game is played until there is only one player still left standing and that player is declared the winner.

Order of players chosen

Here's a chance for a host to get creative or not. You could just simply base the rotation on the order players signed up to play the game but that's boring. For this game, I decided to base the rotation on the last letter of a player's Custom Title in reverse alphabetical order (from Z-A). In cases where player's had the same last letter, I then when to the second last letter of their title as the tiebreak. So wild!

Message reminders

I will send a pm to all players alerting them to the fact the game has begun even though some of you may have seen this thread up already. I will most likely send out a pm when it is a players turn to choose for their first choice just to help everyone get back in the rhythm of checking in for Safe Words. After that, it is up to the players to remember to check in on their own unless they notify me to send them a reminder for when it is their turn to choose.

Waiting for a selection

A generous time of 2 days (48 hours) is given for a player to select a phrase. If they've requested for me to send them a reminder when it is their turn, a message will be sent to alert them of that fact as soon as it is their time to choose. If a choice has not been made by the end of the total 48 hour period, the player will be automatically given the bomb word choice and removed from the game. The 48 hours begins from the timestamp of the post I make in this thread asking for their selection in the round.

Game on.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 10:18:23 PM »
And Round 1 is on!

MASB is the one to select the Bomb Word to start this game and I already have his selection. That means we can go straight to the player at the top of the rotation to make the first selection and that is  BeautifulShy!

Let's make a deal! Which of these hot acts with a hit song do you want to open for your concert in Topeka, Kansas?

Orbital - Chime

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 11:07:53 PM »
Quote from: Khushrenada
Quote from: Mop it up
Oh whoops I almost missed this!
May I ask how you almost missed this?
Mainly I just don't spend as much time on NWR / the Internet anymore. I think I may have seen the signups a while ago, but got distracted by the Direct stuff and forgot to go back for a while.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 11:17:40 PM »
But, but, but if you're not using the internet and checking this site then other users will start doing it too and then we'll see the internet shut down from inactivity just like Blockbuster Video! Then where will I be able to post my hilarious comments and well-rounded takes on the issues of today? Guess I better start investing in some carrier pigeons! Thanks a lot, Mop!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 11:28:23 PM »
Orbital - Chime

Now that's what I call a mixtape!
As representative of Discord Diss reCords I'd like to place a Disc Order for dis record!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 12:13:36 AM »
A mixtape of love to the forums!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 12:50:22 AM »
Okay so I have to pick the first song. Let me take a look at the list....

Orbital - Chime

Let's go with Paula Abdul- Opposites Attract.

There are so many different types of people and yet we all gravitated here and that is nice to see.  Sure we have lots of discussions and disagree a lot on here but for the most part we do find a middle ground. 

We are just attracted to opposite discussions here.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 01:07:38 AM »
For reference for those that want to listen to the songs to get you in the theme of this game here are the songs.

49ers- Don't You Love Me- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20IGyxZSS8I

Bizz Nizz- Don't Miss The Party Line-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EntQCH8Y7ng

Depeche Mode- Enjoy the Silence-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSKrC7dGcY

Jimmy Somerville- Read My Lips (Enough is Enough) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R17_MvBc3DE

JT and the Big Family- Moments in Soul- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGXBUyB_n-s

Mantronix- Got To Have Your Love- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z_dNHwlBzM

Orbital- Chime-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X8iGAZmm5c

Paula Abdul- Opposites Attract- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweiQukBM_k

TechnoTronic- This Beat is Technotronic- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ufo1o82qlQ
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 02:12:38 AM »
BeautifulShy's choice is a success and she adds more dates to her tour!

Nickmitch is next in line! What act does he want to have open for him in Tijuana, Mexico?

Orbital - Chime

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 04:49:43 PM »
*A harmonica beautifully plays*

Bahbum bumbah babah bah bah
Bahbum bumbah babah bah bah

Thanks everybody! You know, I was a little wary of coming to the NWR Forums. I was told that one of your most esteemed citizens, a certain James Jones, referred to my music as nose flute music. Jason Ricci and the New Blood aren't about that negative scene. We try to send off nothing but positive vibes. So I thought I'd ignore the one bad apple and hang out with all the cool cats here!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 09:35:46 PM »

Can't go wrong with a little Depeche Mode. 8)
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 10:56:53 PM »
And nickmitch's choice is a hit! I rake in a nice of change from the ticket sales. Boo-yah!

And now I hear Mr. Bungle is looking for an opening act. I've got the following still free to be booked:

Orbital - Chime

Who will you choose?

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 12:48:18 PM »

The year is 1990 and Mr. Bungle has just scored a major record label deal with Warner Brothers thanks to the success of lead singer Mike Patton's other band Faith No More. Mike mentions how Faith No More covered "Pump Up the Jam" on their last tour and suggests Technotronic as the opening act for Mr. Bungle.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2021, 04:50:16 PM »
It's a musical match made in heaven and there is now talk of Mr. Bungle being nominated for the Best New Artist Grammy.

Now we come to the insidious secret villain of the forums who's been trying to subtly shut them down by advertising for the competition: Discord.RSS! What musical act will this modern day fifth columnist choose to help spread their propaganda?

Orbital - Chime

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 08:34:58 PM »
I am dealing with a newborn now so would appreciate the pm reminder when it is my turn if it isn't too much to ask for. Been difficult to keep track of much of anything presently. Either an NWR pm or message on discord should get the message to me to check in if I've fallen into the quantum realm of parenting.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 09:33:09 PM »
Us here at Discord Records are a youthful bunch, hip with the kids, and ace with the raves. We've already got our own drug Nitro (ask your local distributor), so now all we'll need to really pump up this jam in the licensed Discordtheque (ask for terms & conditions), is for the DJ to Chime in with a beat that'll send us into Orbital!

I am dealing with a newborn now so would appreciate the pm reminder when it is my turn if it isn't too much to ask for. Been difficult to keep track of much of anything presently. Either an NWR pm or message on discord should get the message to me to check in if I've fallen into the quantum realm of parenting.

Congrats Stratos, hope all goes well!!!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 12:35:07 AM »
The booking of Orbital helps put the Discordtheque on the map as the place to be for hip new music.

I've heard word that NWR_insanolord is trying for find an opening act so allow me to offer the following to choose from:

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 12:36:48 AM »

Duly noted. A lesson for everyone. Be like Stratos. Don't let your kids come between you and having a good time.  ;)

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 03:22:57 AM »
Hey, guys! The concert will start soon. Just shuffling some things behind the scenes!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 03:54:28 AM »
Congrats on being a parent Stratos!
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2021, 11:38:32 AM »
I am dealing with a newborn now so check in if I've fallen into the quantum realm of parenting.
Congratulations Stratos! The world needs some fresh lazy meme pirates.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 06:40:01 PM »
I guess I'll go with Bizz Nizz - Don't Miss The Partyline.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 09:26:43 PM »
His name's Insanolord and he like to party! Don't miss is a can't miss and music fans go wild.

Next up is children's entertainer Stratos! Which of these acts will he be taking?