Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 679540 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto
« Reply #2725 on: May 27, 2021, 12:43:32 AM »
Did anyone see and NBA fan almost get murdered during the game tonight?

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1397722670838411264?s=20

Who thinks he would've bodied that dude had there not been 5 guys around him to hold him back?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: May 27, 2021, 01:04:26 AM »
Wild one tonight in Utah as the Jazz escape with a 141-129 win over the Grizzlies. Yes, I know the Jazz led most of the game. I stand by that wording. The box score does not tell the story of this game, as the Grizzlies cut a 22 point lead to 3 early in the 3rd and were continually threatening to get back into the game the entire rest of the game. They only GOT into that hole because they played very stupidly in the 1st half, repeatedly fouling 3 point shooters & getting their best players off the floor in foul trouble. Outside of Royce O 'Neil & Rudy Gobert, the Jazz were just completely unable to hold back Morrant; Valenciunas; and Brookes in the 2nd half.

The Grizzlies are going to be a tough out if the Jazz can't find a way to win outside of out-shooting them, as it took historic shooting from the Jazz to put them away tonight.

I also completely stand by what I said earlier about the Jazz needing Mitchell to win this game. Despite playing limited minutes, he was absolutely instrumental in building that early lead and then responding to that huge Grizzlies run in the 3rd quarter. Most importantly, just having him on the floor allowed the Jazz to establish their usual drive-&-kick playmaking, as well as allowing Ingles & Clarkson to resume their intended roles off the bench.

On a side note, is it just me or are Refs really fond of calling flagrant fouls these Playoffs? Been seeing a lot of them in these early games so far.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 01:16:14 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: May 27, 2021, 01:47:27 AM »
Who thinks he would've bodied that dude had there not been 5 guys around him to hold him back?
Nah. Westbrook would have yelled at the Sixers “fan”, but I think he’s smart enough not to go into the stands and lay a hand on him. He would get suspended for a literal season, and he’s on a max contract. Westbrook has a temper, but I’m not sure it’s bad enough to jeopardize $44 million. There was that one time in Denver (?) when a fan got on the court after the end of the game, got in Westbrook’s face, and Brodie pushed the fan aside. I don’t remember if Westbrook got any discipline action for that. He shouldn’t have; security is supposed to protect the players, right?

Anyway, I missed the games tonight because my nap simply turned into sleeping. Unfortunately, I can’t really comment too much. Knicks vs. Hawks seems like a good series. I’ll make more of an effort to watch Game 3.

As for the Jazz, just looking at the box score, WTF happened in the third quarter? The Grizzlies won’t go down without a fight. At the end of the day, I think talent wins out, and the Jazz just have more of it.

Game 1 of Sixers vs. Wizards was close-ish. The series wasn’t looking good for the Wizards, but losing Westbrook would mean the next two games are likely a formality. That might be curtains for Beal as a Wizard.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: May 28, 2021, 12:56:46 AM »
The Lakers had a great third quarter and a bizarre Benny Hill skit in the fourth quarter. Devin Booker got tossed at the very end with a Flagrant Foul 2. Yes, this was a good call (Booker pushed Schröder with two hands while he was already in the air). It was a dangerous foul but also really dumb. I get being frustrated with the loss but if he gets another, he’s automatically suspended for a game. What are you doing, bruh?

Looks like the Blazers are going to drop Game 3. I’d like to see a long series with the Blazers winning but I think the Nuggets take this.

The less said about the Bucks Force choking the Heat the better.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 02:38:05 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: May 29, 2021, 04:43:27 PM »
So the Heat got swept.... and it wasn't even close... not in a single game.
I think the closest any of the games were, was at tip off when it was still scoreless.
(well, to be honest, it seems like the Heat were leading up to the half... then fell apart in 3rd & 4th)

Anyone think the Wizards also get swept?
I think Westbrook might be out the next game or 2 (rest of the series?) w/ a sprained ankle... at least that's why he left the previous game when he got that popcorn dumped on him.

Who predicts a 7 game series out of any of the remaining match up?
Blazers Nuggets?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2730 on: May 29, 2021, 07:43:36 PM »
The Bucks Twitter account has posted a celebratory video.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: May 29, 2021, 10:27:05 PM »
Clarkson is killing me here. The dude's decided he only has one play, and that's running at the 3 point line and chucking up a brick. He hasn't made one yet in 5 attempts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: May 30, 2021, 12:03:06 AM »
Nice, comfortable win tonight for the Jazz as they defeated the Grizzles 121-111. Unlike Game 2, the Grizzlies never seriously felt like they had a chance to take the win, as the Jazz led by 7-11 points pretty much all night, with the Grizzles only taking a 2 point lead late in the 4th that was immediately rebuffed by a Utah run that sealed the game.

Not much to say about the game, really. It was a relatively easy win on a bad shooting night for the Jazz.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: May 30, 2021, 01:09:42 AM »
Grizz putting up a good fight, but this would've been much more interesting if it was vs The Lakers or Warriors, preferably against the Lakers as that would mean it was the Warriors vs the Suns.

But Ja out there doing what he can, the Jazz are just too good this year.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: May 30, 2021, 05:04:47 PM »
Uh oh, AD may be down for the rest of the game đź‘€. Not looking good for the Lakers. Especially if he can't make it back before the next 2 games....

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: May 30, 2021, 05:25:55 PM »
🤷‍♀️

Apparently, Davis has a groins strain. That’s a wrap, fellas.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2736 on: May 30, 2021, 06:24:01 PM »
🤷‍♀️

Apparently, Davis has a groins strain. That’s a wrap, fellas.

F this season. 
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: May 31, 2021, 09:32:25 PM »
What's up with NBA fans in the arena this season?

Someone dumped popcorn on Westbrooks head
another spit at Trey Young
yesterday one threw a water bottle at Kyrie
and today, some idiot was on the court during the game, and got tackled
https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1399532320277868549?s=20

https://twitter.com/Jeromice12/status/1399530994626142210?s=20

But seeing how Embiid is out for the game.... who sees the Wizards still getting swept here?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: May 31, 2021, 09:58:06 PM »
What's up with NBA fans in the arena this season?

Someone dumped popcorn on Westbrooks head
another spit at Trey Young
yesterday one threw a water bottle at Kyrie
and today, some idiot was on the court during the game, and got tackled
https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1399532320277868549?s=20

https://twitter.com/Jeromice12/status/1399530994626142210?s=20

But seeing how Embiid is out for the game.... who sees the Wizards still getting swept here?

Not today, apparently. The Wizards played Hack-A-Simmons from the 4 minute mark onward, and he did not make his free throws. Really annoying, since it delayed and then blocked me from seeing the start of tonight's Jazz game.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: May 31, 2021, 11:14:05 PM »
Yeah.... I was watching.
It's so funny to have a starting PG that can't shoot.... It's gotta be absolutely embarrassing to know that you can be singled out in a close game to improve the other teams chances of winning, by making you take free throws, since they're gambling that you'll miss.

He did make half of them... but he needed to make all of them.
Sixers in Five.

now back to the Jazz v Grizz game.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: June 01, 2021, 12:20:15 AM »
Well, I'm not happy with that 4th quarter, but I'll take my playoff wins where I can get them as the Jazz remain 3-0 with Mitchell on the floor and now will head back to Salt Lake City to (hopefully) close out the series. I'm not making any bets there, as the Jazz have had issues with being up 3-1 in the playoffs lately.

But man, I'm concerned with the Jazz's defense. Morant and Brooks (and Melton in the 4th quarter) were getting whatever shots they wanted all night with defenders not even trying to stop them.

The Grizzlies are going to be a dangerous team in a few years when their younger guys learn how to screw up less.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 12:22:46 AM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: June 01, 2021, 11:58:29 PM »
Aww yiss, KCP back in the lin… oh, he’s injured again. Here’s a quick recap of the rest of the game:

On the bright side, I’m glad I got to see that Damian Lillard game tying three at the end of regulation. The Blazers then fell behind by nine with like two and a half minutes to go so I stopped watching. Lillard apparently hit another game tying three pointer at the end of the first overtime so I’m going to stop writing this post and just watch this game while simultaneously weeping at the shart-level effort the Lakers put up today.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: June 02, 2021, 12:17:43 AM »
Never mind. Robert Covington missed a dunk, and C.J. McCollum stepped out of bounds. Waiting for Draymond Green to say, “It’s great to see Dame playing well, but get my man out of Portland. It’s not good for him; it’s not good for his career” on Inside the NBA.

Is that tampering?

Maybe.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2743 on: June 02, 2021, 12:26:52 AM »
You would think he would want to leave after forcing overtime twice only for his teammates to score like once in the extra periods?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: June 02, 2021, 12:44:42 AM »
For the life of me, I don't understand how Blazers-Nuggets wasn't carried by ANY major network. It's a Playoff game. I don't care that it features 2 unpopular teams. I'd rather have watched that Double OT Thriller over watching the Suns absolutely paste the rotting corpse of the Lakers.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2745 on: June 02, 2021, 01:22:49 AM »
Speaking of which, I found it wildly ironic that, as a Hulu Live subscriber, I could not find this game as it headed into overtime, despite Hulu running this commercial:

To whom it may be useful

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: June 02, 2021, 01:43:48 AM »
You would think he would want to leave after forcing overtime twice only for his teammates to score like once in the extra periods?
This is what players get for their loyalty. What have the Blazers front office done to get Lillard the help he needs?
For the life of me, I don't understand how Blazers-Nuggets wasn't carried by ANY major network. It's a Playoff game. I don't care that it features 2 unpopular teams. I'd rather have watched that Double OT Thriller over watching the Suns absolutely paste the rotting corpse of the Lakers.
My guess: this is due to advertising contracts. Companies pay for commercial spots for specific games/series in the playoffs. No one knows a game is a blowout until it's a blowout, but advertisers are still owed their time.

Sometimes TNT will switch regular season games if one is a blowout. I think that's because TNT has scheduled nights during the regular season (Tuesdays and Thursdays?) rather than specific games. I imagine there's more leeway due to the amount of available games as well as "LOL, regular season".

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: June 02, 2021, 10:45:08 PM »
Geez, Donovan Mitchell just can't miss tonight. Hell, no one can on the Jazz. They're up 75-51 at the half.

Do you think they've just a bit bitter over losing last year's series to the Nuggets after being up 3-1?  :P

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: June 03, 2021, 12:01:40 AM »
Well, I've been waiting all series for the Jazz to just annihilate the Grizzlies, and tonight that time finally came. This game was over in the 1st quarter, and the Jazz's lead grew to as much as 35 in the 3rd quarter before Memphis finally started making some shots. The Jazz move on to face the winner of the Dallas-Clippers series, and hopefully that means the Mavericks but I just don't see that happening.

I'm concerned about Conley. Snyder pulled him at half time, citing his recurring hamstring injury. I hope that was just a precaution due to not needing him when we had an (at the time) 24 point lead, and that he isn't actually hurt. Looks like he and Donovan are going to get some much-needed rest while the Dallas series sorts itself out.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:03:27 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: June 03, 2021, 05:45:26 PM »
Well, now that the Sixers, Hawks, Jazz and Nets have all completed their gentleman's sweeps, how do we see the rest of round one turning out?

Dame turned out one helluva (wasted) performance on Tuesday night.
Lebron ain't carrying the same Lakers that played Tuesday anywhere but to the nearest dumpster (aka trading block).
Mavs v Clippers really could go either way depending on which way the wind is blowing... Or the shots are falling...

Wouldn't be surprised to see a Gm7 between Clips and Mavs, and the Blazers v Nuggets.

Personally I think the Lakers are just done. Pressure too much for Kuz and the Tradeables.