Author Topic: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-present  (Read 331172 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-2017
« Reply #851 on: February 07, 2017, 04:54:18 PM »
I haven't backed a game Kickstarter in over two years and there are still several ones I've backed that have yet to deliver a finished product. I'm guessing that drop is because I'm not alone in that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 07, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »
The only video game Kickstarter I backed was all the way in early 2015. I got my platform select survey yesterday. Video Games are hard to make.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 07, 2017, 07:04:05 PM »
I happily own the only Kickstarter game I ever donated towards. It's not the best game ever, but it does what it set out to do!

I will likely never donate to a game again.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 07, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »
The closest I ever came to donating to a game was Yooka-Laylee. I really do like and miss that old 64 large world exploration with collectables style of platforming. However, they reached their goal fast so I didn't see the need. Glad I'm didn't in the end with the Wii U version getting cancelled and moved to the Switch. Not sure why they couldn't release on both but considering I'm not getting a Switch for awhile and have no intention of buying an XBOX or PS, I'd have been pretty upset if I had contributed. Moreover, with a lot of Kickstarter not living up to expectations, it just does not seem wise to contribute.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #855 on: February 07, 2017, 07:32:24 PM »
I have yet to contribute money to a Kickstarter. With Mighty No. 9 and the disaster that Inaflunke (so mature of an insult from me! :P) associated with it, I'm sure he helped turn lots of prospective backers off. Plus, there are so many games from years ago that have been backed that are still not out. That's understandable, though, as the development gets extended with stretch goals met (and game dev is hard as it is!).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 08, 2017, 07:33:59 AM »
I have kickstarted 3 games. Planetary Annihilation, Wasteland and Jupiter Raising.

Planetary Annihilation was worth the money and I put a good number of hours into it and it fill the "Grand Macro strategy hole". Unfortunately zooming out so far meant you didn't really get to see all the explosions and manoeuvres which sort of place the graphics to waste. There are a replays that are very accurate and watch some of the top players is quite interesting as they understand that player attention time is a more important resource that the ones found in the game.

Wasteland 2 was a disappointment. One of the things that really irritated me was how absurdly diverse the skills are resulting in skills that are related and should be one skill especially most of those skills are meant to unlock chests and the like not to do anything productive.

The combat is not good on the account of the maps. They are simultaneously too large and lack cover considering the number of AP required means way more often than not you can't get to cover. At which point you might as well play it old school where you just stand out in the open trading shots. Well at least it came out and I got the enhanced edition for free.

Jupiter Raising hasn't come out yet until the end of the year. It has some great developers behind it with one legendary dude who made DOOMRL. It is going to be the same sort of game as DOOMRL but with much better graphics.

You really just got to do your due diligence.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #857 on: February 08, 2017, 10:02:54 AM »
I've backed two games - one is a two-man (essentially) job that has been delayed to ensure the game runs on the platform I chose for it (Vita), the other is in perpetual PC beta (Hover: Revolt of Gamers). So I'm out $10. No big deal.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 08, 2017, 03:34:37 PM »
There are some hilarious failed kickstarters. My favorite is Fleetcomm. Apparently it takes four years to come up with the tutorial stages for a f-ing Shoot 'Em Up.

lol.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:44:10 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #859 on: February 08, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »
I want to crowdfund one of my games and have it at, like, $10,000 for the goal. I want to leave St. Louis for a week for a change and get a nice, kick-ass vacat-- Develop a nice kick-ass sequel to Super Push Adventure.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 08, 2017, 05:20:36 PM »
That is the thing about kickstarters. The kickstarter runner must pay themselves. Time is an important resource. If they don't pay for their time then likely they won't get the project done. I don't think I would start a kickstarter unless I was at least 75% done with a project.

With Yooka Laylee I'm in a bind because I basically have to buy a new game system to get the game, or gift it to someone.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 12, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »
You could gift me the Switch version good buddy :D

I could probably give you some Steam games to compensate as I have some extra copies floating around from Humble Bundles. Think I got some Wii U/3DS ones as well.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 17, 2017, 03:00:46 AM »
Most people have enough spare keys that we should have a private invite only exchange but you know bad faith actors would make a mess of things as without an escrow who can verify the keys it is nothing but a blind honour system. But all the same if there are keys someone wants to exchange I would be open to it.

I want to crowdfund one of my games and have it at, like, $10,000 for the goal. I want to leave St. Louis for a week for a change and get a nice, kick-ass vacat-- Develop a nice kick-ass sequel to Super Push Adventure.
$10000 feels a bit on the low side, but I have no idea what the game is and you are likely afraid that the game wouldn't get funded at all which is understandable. Not being able to cover your expenses though is even worse as you have to take time off to bring in other income etc or release early which would piss everyone off without a doubt.

I would aim higher than my expected expenses and if it can't get funded for even a small bump for safety then there wasn't a market anyway. (Unless you already taken account of this).

However there is a way you can have your cake and eat it too via stretch goals. If you are sure that you are going to get funded for the initial amount add in features that don't take too much off course to bring in more money which would help ensure success assuming the game doesn't suck.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #863 on: February 17, 2017, 10:12:41 PM »
Oh, I was 100% joking about doing crowdfunding. I would not need it for the scope of my games. :)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 18, 2017, 12:08:06 AM »
The up front income couldn't hurt as an extra layer of security if you can get it especially if you know that you can complete the project with the resources at hand.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 21, 2017, 05:08:36 PM »

I could probably give you some Steam games to compensate as I have some extra copies floating around from Humble Bundles. Think I got some Wii U/3DS ones as well.

I'd take that deal if my pc was better. Yooka Laylee comes out after my birthday. Either I'm going to have a ps4 and a switch, or just a ps4. It depends on how my tax return turns out and the availability of the Switch.

you would certainly be one of my preferred choices.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 21, 2017, 05:49:42 PM »

I'd take that deal if my pc was better. Yooka Laylee comes out after my birthday. Either I'm going to have a ps4 and a switch, or just a ps4. It depends on how my tax return turns out and the availability of the Switch.

you would certainly be one of my preferred choices.

I have both PC and WiiU/3DS codes from humble bundles, if a PC code does not interest you.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 23, 2017, 01:42:42 AM »
Funny thing is I got the same humble bundle. I don't have 3ds. I tried to give the codes away to my sister in law and she never did anything. Then I gave them to Shyguy. I'm not sure if they worked for him. So, you're actually giving away the same thing I am.

I think I'm getting a ps4 for my birthday. So, I can put it on there. But you know Nintendo loyalty and all. I'd rather trade it to someone who puts it on the right home for it. If I get a decent tax return I might just buy a Switch too. So, i woulds ay it is up in the air till the end of March.

On ps4, I'm more likely to only buy ps4 exclusives than multiplatform titles. On switch I'd probably get the multi-platform versions because "im fucking tired of 3rd party Nintendo shunning"
I don't want another third party to have some annoying contrived sales data. Especially De Facto Rare.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:45:57 AM by ThePerm »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 08, 2017, 02:55:01 PM »
Crytek sold one of its studios to Sega. This could be good news for both companies.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/7/14844758/crytek-black-sea-studio-now-creative-assembly-sofia-total-war-sega

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #869 on: March 24, 2017, 11:50:51 PM »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: March 25, 2017, 12:20:16 AM »
If they operated here in NZ like they do over that they deserve to die.

"Cheaper" second hand games that is 2 dollars cheaper than new.

Perpetual sales that make their shop look like a garbage dump and aren't actual sales or discounts.

Terrible new prices that even Nintendo online prices clown on.

More expensive 2nd hand games even accounting for shipping from just about anywhere else.

Horrible selection on everything with Nintendo being 2nd only to the 2nd hand pile.

Perpetual stocks of items that are a decade old still being sold for full price i.e Blizzard Battle Chest.

I haven't shopped there in a decade or more and I am happy to continue this trend. The last thing I ever brought from them was Metroid Prime Hunters where if you trade 2 games you could get it for ~$15, so I went to another store, got some $1 games and brought it. Turned out the game wasn't very good and they drove the good game store I went to out of business.

If they want to evolve they are going to have to stop piling up entire walls with one game whenever something like Halo or whatever AAA nothing burger shows up and shift that space into merchandising. They can sell loot crates. Clean up their stores of all the tack so you don't feel shame going inside. Offer codes or online games to people who won't/don't have credit cards.

It's won't get me through the door but damn it would get the kids in. But nah, they aren't going to change, good riddance.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 25, 2017, 12:42:20 AM »
Theres all sorts of ways Gamestop could improve its business model. I doubt they would do them. Gamestops are small. They should be twice as big and still have classic games.

It would be kinda cool if they had some arcade cabinets.

Rarely ever do i spend more than 6 minutes in a GameStop. I usually go in there, see nothing of interest and walk right out because there is nothing to keep me there.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #872 on: March 25, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »
Quote from: oohhboy
If they want to evolve they are going to have to stop piling up entire walls with one game whenever something like Halo or whatever AAA nothing burger shows up and shift that space into merchandising. They can sell loot crates. Clean up their stores of all the tack so you don't feel shame going inside. Offer codes or online games to people who won't/don't have credit cards.

My local GameStop (ok, EB Games, same thing) is in a mall so they have a U shape. If you're at the bend of the U (the back of the store) the entire right wall is nothing but merch. Sadly, most of it is those bloody Funko abominations.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 25, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »
If they want to evolve they are going to have to stop piling up entire walls with one game whenever something like Halo or whatever AAA nothing burger shows up and shift that space into merchandising.

Sounds like Blockbuster
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 25, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
Wow! What a different: Blockbuster Video!
My Game Collection